Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road ID (and similar) discussion

• 04-11-2015 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭

I guess dog tag version has a better chance of being recognised/found in case of accident?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Thud

sticker on inside of you helmet: 5cents :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

Thud wrote: »
    Yeah but then do you still need a Road ID to tell them to look under your helmet for a blo.ody (literally!) sticker!!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Thud wrote: »

the problem with that is that by removing someones helmet, you may inadvertently make worse any neck or spinal injury they may have.

If I came across a rider lying unconscious on the road, the last thing i would do would be to remove their helmet (unless it was clear that their helmet was going to kill them).

I know it's not a bargain alert and probably worthy of it's own topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I had been meaning to get a Road ID for ages, but had never gotten around to it.
    A small discount on the price has persuaded me to purchase one now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Having an ICE number on ones phone is pretty standard in Europe. When I go off piste skiing, guides can ask if we all have an ICE on our phones/ Avalanche tranceiver.

No charge :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Having an ICE number on ones phone is pretty standard in Europe. When I go off piste skiing, guides can ask if we all have an ICE on our phones/ Avalanche tranceiver.

No charge ��

Not much good if your phone is password protected surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

colm18 wrote: »

on Iphones if you swipe to emergency calls there is a MedicID button which can display med history and emergency contacts when the phone is locked. Very useful to know. Takes the info from the health app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

or if your phone smashes on impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

On my phone you can call ICE numbers without unblocking it.

Not much use if the phone gets damaged / lost in the accident. I've ordered slim ICEstripes for me and my wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I don't see the point of ICEstripes etc if your phone can hold the data unless they are totally indestructible. It would be like having a backup of a backup of a file.

• Advertisement

re phones - I have found that screens can crack very easily, making the phone useless. I bought the road ID because it looks to be the simplest one for me - if I crash it will be on my wrist. My phone could be smashed, my helmet should remain on, my wrist is relatively unimportant in the live or die stakes, so if someone moves it to get my ICE details then i'm ok with that. I do think it should be a seperate thread tho as it is a discussion worth having imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

traprunner wrote: »
    I don't see the point of ICEstripes etc if your phone can hold the data unless they are totally indestructible. It would be like having a backup of a backup of a file.

Phones get damaged too easy, a bracelet more durable that skin is not going to get damaged or unattached unless you do serious damage to yourself

there's always a back up for a back up file, weekly and monthly ;)

You can download an ICE app that displays the emergency info on your wallpaper. Conditions, Allergies, blood group, medications, name, next of kin etc.

How much of that can you get on a wrist band and how do you keep it up to date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Thud

lennymc wrote: »
    the problem with that is that by removing someones helmet, you may inadvertently make worse any neck or spinal injury they may have.

If I came across a rider lying unconscious on the road, the last thing i would do would be to remove their helmet (unless it was clear that their helmet was going to kill them).

I know it's not a bargain alert and probably worthy of it's own topic.

agreed, 999 would probably be the first call, let the paramedics find the sticker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

lennymc wrote: »
    re phones - I have found that screens can crack very easily, making the phone useless. I bought the road ID because it looks to be the simplest one for me - if I crash it will be on my wrist. My phone could be smashed, my helmet should remain on, my wrist is relatively unimportant in the live or die stakes, so if someone moves it to get my ICE details then i'm ok with that. I do think it should be a seperate thread tho as it is a discussion worth having imho

also gives you a savage tan line, had mine for 3yrs its great and if worst happens its there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    You can download an ICE app that displays the emergency info on your wallpaper. Conditions, Allergies, blood group, medications, name, next of kin etc.

How much of that can you get on a wrist band and how do you keep it up to date?

wirstband provides contact details to contacts who can confirm same, as mentioned phones break or batteries die, sometimes the most advance technology isn't the best solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Alanbt

The ID band discussion really should be in a separate thread at this stage

^^^somebody will always have a 'it won't work because' but there is no evidence to say a phone is not a good place to keep emergency contact info...or the only place. The most important point is that having some form of ICE info on you is certainly better than not having it...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Pretty tempted to start posting Bargain Alerts here now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I use a RoadID with basic info - to me it was a one off cost. Just buying additional peace of mind with the wish that I never have to have someone have a need to use it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just ordered one. Cheers OP, I'm diabetic, and got out of the habit of wearing an ID, these look good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

I have one of these which I always wear - https://www.onelifeid.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Small plastic bag with emergency contact details in the jersey works for me

The thing is that emergency services personnel will look for medical bracelets (they are trained to do so in most countries) and may inspect your neck / chest as a part of standard medical check. They may not (easily) find the information if you hide it in your helmet, shoe, pocket, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I use a RoadID with basic info - to me it was a one off cost. Just buying additional peace of mind with the wish that I never have to have someone have a need to use it...
    I have worn RoadID for several years now. Came in useful once to date as I was being put into the back of an ambulance. The paramedic was asking me for my details but I wasn't in the form for talking so I just showed him the bracelet.
    Small plastic bag with emergency contact details in the jersey works for me
    How will you know that it will actually work for you? :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Had ICE number on phone (unlocked) but no one checked. Took them a few hours to track down my wife. Think I may have given them a garbled number for her. They even had a certain NCD GP head to my home to try and track her down. Think she may have been on the way to the hospital by then so maybe I did finally give them the right number. CI now require participants to put an emergency contact number when signing on for their events (largely on the back of the experience they had with me). Now have headset spacers with ICE contact details on all the bikes if anyone ever finds me sprawled in a ditch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,754 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The real question, of course, is whether any of these come in hi-vis. If they don't then I doubt they work at all!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Have the bracelet with the id plate but its scratched in bits at this stage, and getting kinda illegible. Works for me as I swim, and Im not going to have my phone then. Note to RoadID people: Put the info plate on the inside, a medic can turn it around if needs be, and it wont get scratched!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    ...Think I may have given them a garbled number for her....
    666? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭koutoubia

666? :pac:
    Ha.
    Can imagine the conversation:
    "Hello. do you know your name?"
    "Beasty."
    "Wow you really gave your head a good wallop"

Got a road id last year. Never leave the house with the bike without it on.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

koutoubia wrote: »
    Ha.
    Can imagine the conversation:
    "Hello. do you know your name?"
    "Beasty."
    "Wow you really gave your head a good wallop"
    Actually have "Beasty" on a few of my bikes, as well as some of my Boards gear, shoes, and my official "team" skinsuit. There's a fair chance they will track me down more readily via the Boards connection than anyone/anything else (and indeed that NCD doctor was contacted because the race Commissaire knew of the Boards/Swords connection!!) before they started taking those emergency numbers on the sign on sheet

There are a few people who know me in real life by my Boards name but would not know what my surname is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    Had ICE number on phone (unlocked) but no one checked. Took them a few hours to track down my wife. Think I may have given them a garbled number for her. They even had a certain NCD GP head to my home to try and track her down. Think she may have been on the way to the hospital by then so maybe I did finally give them the right number. CI now require participants to put an emergency contact number when signing on for their events (largely on the back of the experience they had with me). Now have headset spacers with ICE contact details on all the bikes if anyone ever finds me sprawled in a ditch...

I'll be taking your wheels. You can stay in the ditch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

How will you know that it will actually work for you? :D

Thankfully I'venever had to test it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought the Road ID bracelet 2 years ago, I forget to wear it 9 out of 10 times. I have ICE details on the lock screen of my phone though and my phone is in a leather wallet so the screen is relatively protected (and I keep it in rear jersey pocket)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't have road id, but one of the cheaper versions. I try to use it every cycle (and run), but don't always remember. It's fairly noticeable I would've thought.

Never mind impact damage, if my phone is in my back pocket, I'd rather not be moved if I've had a serious crash, for it to be recovered.

Tempted by the dog tags, just for the summer really - so I can pretend I'm a 1980's pro, climbing out of the saddle, jersey unzipped, chain swinging...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

I have a Road ID bracelet. I put it on when it arrived in the post and I haven't taken it off since. My missus wears hers when she goes out on the bike; when she's done on the bike, she takes off the bracelet and hangs it off one of the brake hoods.
    It's a nice investment for peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have an Icedot on my helmet and this sends my girlfriend a text if anything goes wrong, also does live tracking too. Pricey compared to the road id but it works quite different, less passive protection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Alek wrote: »
    I guess dog tag version has a better chance of being recognised/found in case of accident?

I have the dog tag version. I always wear it, never take it off.
    I was knocked off my bike a few months ago. I was badly concussed. I couldn't remember my wife or son's names, never mind their phone numbers.
    I didn't think of the the dog tag.
    Unfortunately, the tag slipped round and was hanging down my back, so it looked from the front like a necklace. None of the emergency services noticed it.
    So, if you have a dog tag, ensure that it will be visible to emergency services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭joey100

I wear a road ID, wear it all the time because I used to forget to put it on when I went out. Came off the bike last year and got me thinking that if I did come off badly no one would know who to ring or my info really.

Isn't part of the reason they recommend the wrist because if anyone is checking your pulse that's where they will go? Not sure how you make sure they check the wrist your wearing it on though, maybe you need one for each wrist.....

The bands I got with mine are bright colours for that reason, to try and attract attention. I generally try and wear it over my arm warmers or jacket cuff too so it's not hidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

joey100 wrote: »

Isn't part of the reason they recommend the wrist because if anyone is checking your pulse that's where they will go? Not sure how you make sure they check the wrist your wearing it on though, maybe you need one for each wrist.....

If I remember correctly from first aid courses a few years ago it's standard to check the left wrist for a pulse.

• Advertisement

I think that current first aid courses don't really recommend checking for pulse or breath, but rather responsiveness - if someone does not react in any way to a strong stimuli, start CPR immediately. But this is for mere mortals, medical personnel have different procedures for sure.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I dont have any life threatening illnesses so Im happy enough for any medics to save my life first and look for my ID later. For me, thats what its for. So my next of kin can be contacted if I am unable to give that info.

I think that current first aid courses don't really recommend checking for pulse or breath, but rather responsiveness - if someone does not react in any way to a strong stimuli, start CPR immediately. But this is for mere mortals, medical personnel have different procedures for sure.

Think pulse is one of the secondary checks now. (Doing Occupational First Aid training at the moment). There are also checks you should do before starting CPR. Any previous courses I did mentioned the possibility of a medical bracelet.

Anyway - if anyone is buying a road ID use this link -

http://www.roadid.com/?TafInvite=4T5X4?CID=TAF2JJRNZBF

Cos I get 10 quid credit for everyone who uses it. Then I can buy more road ids!! :) (or alternatively raffle it off or donate it or something)

First first-aider on the scene for me thought I was dead. Fortunately the next one (and first "proper" medic on the scene) was just back from working with the British Forces in Helmand Province and knew how to cope with a trauma situation. He got there within a couple of minutes. He checked my airways, and discovered a blockage (I must have swallowed my tongue). He sorted it out - he reckoned another 2 minutes and I would definitely have been dead.

Glad someone was checking breath in my case as some of you guys may not have been able to cope with the prospect of Zyzz becoming a mod:P

Whoa, that was serious indeed :eek::eek::eek:

Did the first guy start the CPR chest compressions on you? I would believe that doing this properly would force most objects out from your airways - at least that's what I've been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

With the EMT hat on...

Standard survey is to check the limbs and neck for tags; medialert ones for allergies or medical conditions. We'd even pat down the pockets for ID and other information.

Whoa, that was serious indeed :eek::eek::eek:

Did the first guy start the CPR chest compressions on you? I would believe that doing this properly would force most objects out from your airways - at least that's what I've been told.
    Suspect not, as I said the message I got from the second medic was the first one thought I was dead and may have been panicking. One thing I would note based on what I've seen generally at races - even some of the "ambulances" are manned by people who give the appearance of being quite young and inexperienced, and it may be that first guy simply had never encountered anything approaching the seriousness of my situation.

There was no ambulance at the race (the club involved changed it's policy as a result), just medics/first aiders. Took 45 mins for an ambulance to get there (I was apparently laid out on the outside lane of the dual carriageway in freezing rain - they were at the point of driving me to hospital in a car when it finally did arrive). Was unconscious for the first 30 mins or so and have no memory for a few hours thereafter Don't remember any chest pains (can't remember much pain from a few of the fractures, but suspect I was on a few strong painkillers at that stage)

the first one thought I was dead

I understand that inexperienced medic may have panicked a bit, but not attempting resuscitation because you "think someone's dead" (when the accident happened short while ago) makes me simply angry...

Gosh, good you're alright now.

I understand that inexperienced medic may have panicked a bit, but not attempting resuscitation because you "think someone's dead" (when the accident happened short while ago) makes me simply angry...
    I honestly don't know. Clearly I was not aware of what was going on at the time. One person who was at the scene shortly after the accident indicated the first medic thought I was dead (who knows - possibly could have received radio contact as an organiser of the event - that may have triggered communication with the second medic who was following a different race on the other side of the dual carriageway and fortunately not far away). I eventually met up with the 2nd medic and he explained a bit more about what happened at the scene. Hence to some extent I'm putting 2 and 2 together, but from what I've been told it was the 2nd guy who checked my airways and got me breathing

I was involved in the "secondary" race - I say secondary, but maybe more considered less risky given it was ladies and 50+ Masters. I understand a "medic" was following the race and was therefore on the scene very quickly - I've no idea what qualifications he may have had though. For all I know he may have communicated with the 2nd guy and quickly discovered he was at that stage nearby and thought it best to leave it until he arrived (as he was clearly the senior medic in attendance). There were others needing attention also - one reasonably serious, plus a few walking wounded. However as I've alluded to I've had to piece all this together based on a number of reports in what must have been a very traumatic situation (for everyone else - I was clearly completely out of it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

airway breathing circulation

thats from my first aid course

oh and you cant swallow your tongue it sort of flops back and blocks the airway

• Advertisement
Advertisement