Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road ID (and similar) discussion

Options
  • 04-11-2015 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭

I guess dog tag version has a better chance of being recognised/found in case of accident?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

sticker on inside of you helmet: 5cents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

Thud wrote: »
    Yeah but then do you still need a Road ID to tell them to look under your helmet for a blo.ody (literally!) sticker!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Thud wrote: »

the problem with that is that by removing someones helmet, you may inadvertently make worse any neck or spinal injury they may have.

If I came across a rider lying unconscious on the road, the last thing i would do would be to remove their helmet (unless it was clear that their helmet was going to kill them).

I know it's not a bargain alert and probably worthy of it's own topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I had been meaning to get a Road ID for ages, but had never gotten around to it.
    A small discount on the price has persuaded me to purchase one now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Having an ICE number on ones phone is pretty standard in Europe. When I go off piste skiing, guides can ask if we all have an ICE on our phones/ Avalanche tranceiver.

No charge :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Having an ICE number on ones phone is pretty standard in Europe. When I go off piste skiing, guides can ask if we all have an ICE on our phones/ Avalanche tranceiver.

No charge ��

Not much good if your phone is password protected surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

colm18 wrote: »

on Iphones if you swipe to emergency calls there is a MedicID button which can display med history and emergency contacts when the phone is locked. Very useful to know. Takes the info from the health app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

or if your phone smashes on impact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

On my phone you can call ICE numbers without unblocking it.

Not much use if the phone gets damaged / lost in the accident. I've ordered slim ICEstripes for me and my wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I don't see the point of ICEstripes etc if your phone can hold the data unless they are totally indestructible. It would be like having a backup of a backup of a file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

re phones - I have found that screens can crack very easily, making the phone useless. I bought the road ID because it looks to be the simplest one for me - if I crash it will be on my wrist. My phone could be smashed, my helmet should remain on, my wrist is relatively unimportant in the live or die stakes, so if someone moves it to get my ICE details then i'm ok with that. I do think it should be a seperate thread tho as it is a discussion worth having imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

traprunner wrote: »
    I don't see the point of ICEstripes etc if your phone can hold the data unless they are totally indestructible. It would be like having a backup of a backup of a file.

Phones get damaged too easy, a bracelet more durable that skin is not going to get damaged or unattached unless you do serious damage to yourself

there's always a back up for a back up file, weekly and monthly ;)

You can download an ICE app that displays the emergency info on your wallpaper. Conditions, Allergies, blood group, medications, name, next of kin etc.

How much of that can you get on a wrist band and how do you keep it up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

lennymc wrote: »
    the problem with that is that by removing someones helmet, you may inadvertently make worse any neck or spinal injury they may have.

If I came across a rider lying unconscious on the road, the last thing i would do would be to remove their helmet (unless it was clear that their helmet was going to kill them).

I know it's not a bargain alert and probably worthy of it's own topic.

agreed, 999 would probably be the first call, let the paramedics find the sticker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

lennymc wrote: »
    re phones - I have found that screens can crack very easily, making the phone useless. I bought the road ID because it looks to be the simplest one for me - if I crash it will be on my wrist. My phone could be smashed, my helmet should remain on, my wrist is relatively unimportant in the live or die stakes, so if someone moves it to get my ICE details then i'm ok with that. I do think it should be a seperate thread tho as it is a discussion worth having imho

also gives you a savage tan line, had mine for 3yrs its great and if worst happens its there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    You can download an ICE app that displays the emergency info on your wallpaper. Conditions, Allergies, blood group, medications, name, next of kin etc.

How much of that can you get on a wrist band and how do you keep it up to date?

wirstband provides contact details to contacts who can confirm same, as mentioned phones break or batteries die, sometimes the most advance technology isn't the best solution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Alanbt

The ID band discussion really should be in a separate thread at this stage

^^^somebody will always have a 'it won't work because' but there is no evidence to say a phone is not a good place to keep emergency contact info...or the only place. The most important point is that having some form of ICE info on you is certainly better than not having it...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Pretty tempted to start posting Bargain Alerts here now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I use a RoadID with basic info - to me it was a one off cost. Just buying additional peace of mind with the wish that I never have to have someone have a need to use it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just ordered one. Cheers OP, I'm diabetic, and got out of the habit of wearing an ID, these look good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

I have one of these which I always wear - https://www.onelifeid.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Small plastic bag with emergency contact details in the jersey works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

The thing is that emergency services personnel will look for medical bracelets (they are trained to do so in most countries) and may inspect your neck / chest as a part of standard medical check. They may not (easily) find the information if you hide it in your helmet, shoe, pocket, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I use a RoadID with basic info - to me it was a one off cost. Just buying additional peace of mind with the wish that I never have to have someone have a need to use it...
    I have worn RoadID for several years now. Came in useful once to date as I was being put into the back of an ambulance. The paramedic was asking me for my details but I wasn't in the form for talking so I just showed him the bracelet.
    Small plastic bag with emergency contact details in the jersey works for me
    How will you know that it will actually work for you? :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Had ICE number on phone (unlocked) but no one checked. Took them a few hours to track down my wife. Think I may have given them a garbled number for her. They even had a certain NCD GP head to my home to try and track her down. Think she may have been on the way to the hospital by then so maybe I did finally give them the right number. CI now require participants to put an emergency contact number when signing on for their events (largely on the back of the experience they had with me). Now have headset spacers with ICE contact details on all the bikes if anyone ever finds me sprawled in a ditch...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The real question, of course, is whether any of these come in hi-vis. If they don't then I doubt they work at all!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Have the bracelet with the id plate but its scratched in bits at this stage, and getting kinda illegible. Works for me as I swim, and Im not going to have my phone then. Note to RoadID people: Put the info plate on the inside, a medic can turn it around if needs be, and it wont get scratched!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    ...Think I may have given them a garbled number for her....
    666? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

666? :pac:
    Ha.
    Can imagine the conversation:
    "Hello. do you know your name?"
    "Beasty."
    "Wow you really gave your head a good wallop"

Got a road id last year. Never leave the house with the bike without it on.

Advertisement