Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road ID (and similar) discussion

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

koutoubia wrote: »
    Ha.
    Can imagine the conversation:
    "Hello. do you know your name?"
    "Beasty."
    "Wow you really gave your head a good wallop"
    Actually have "Beasty" on a few of my bikes, as well as some of my Boards gear, shoes, and my official "team" skinsuit. There's a fair chance they will track me down more readily via the Boards connection than anyone/anything else (and indeed that NCD doctor was contacted because the race Commissaire knew of the Boards/Swords connection!!) before they started taking those emergency numbers on the sign on sheet

There are a few people who know me in real life by my Boards name but would not know what my surname is....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    Had ICE number on phone (unlocked) but no one checked. Took them a few hours to track down my wife. Think I may have given them a garbled number for her. They even had a certain NCD GP head to my home to try and track her down. Think she may have been on the way to the hospital by then so maybe I did finally give them the right number. CI now require participants to put an emergency contact number when signing on for their events (largely on the back of the experience they had with me). Now have headset spacers with ICE contact details on all the bikes if anyone ever finds me sprawled in a ditch...

I'll be taking your wheels. You can stay in the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

How will you know that it will actually work for you? :D

Thankfully I'venever had to test it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought the Road ID bracelet 2 years ago, I forget to wear it 9 out of 10 times. I have ICE details on the lock screen of my phone though and my phone is in a leather wallet so the screen is relatively protected (and I keep it in rear jersey pocket)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't have road id, but one of the cheaper versions. I try to use it every cycle (and run), but don't always remember. It's fairly noticeable I would've thought.

Never mind impact damage, if my phone is in my back pocket, I'd rather not be moved if I've had a serious crash, for it to be recovered.

Tempted by the dog tags, just for the summer really - so I can pretend I'm a 1980's pro, climbing out of the saddle, jersey unzipped, chain swinging...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

I have a Road ID bracelet. I put it on when it arrived in the post and I haven't taken it off since. My missus wears hers when she goes out on the bike; when she's done on the bike, she takes off the bracelet and hangs it off one of the brake hoods.
    It's a nice investment for peace of mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have an Icedot on my helmet and this sends my girlfriend a text if anything goes wrong, also does live tracking too. Pricey compared to the road id but it works quite different, less passive protection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Alek wrote: »
    I guess dog tag version has a better chance of being recognised/found in case of accident?

I have the dog tag version. I always wear it, never take it off.
    I was knocked off my bike a few months ago. I was badly concussed. I couldn't remember my wife or son's names, never mind their phone numbers.
    I didn't think of the the dog tag.
    Unfortunately, the tag slipped round and was hanging down my back, so it looked from the front like a necklace. None of the emergency services noticed it.
    So, if you have a dog tag, ensure that it will be visible to emergency services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

I wear a road ID, wear it all the time because I used to forget to put it on when I went out. Came off the bike last year and got me thinking that if I did come off badly no one would know who to ring or my info really.

Isn't part of the reason they recommend the wrist because if anyone is checking your pulse that's where they will go? Not sure how you make sure they check the wrist your wearing it on though, maybe you need one for each wrist.....

The bands I got with mine are bright colours for that reason, to try and attract attention. I generally try and wear it over my arm warmers or jacket cuff too so it's not hidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

joey100 wrote: »

Isn't part of the reason they recommend the wrist because if anyone is checking your pulse that's where they will go? Not sure how you make sure they check the wrist your wearing it on though, maybe you need one for each wrist.....

If I remember correctly from first aid courses a few years ago it's standard to check the left wrist for a pulse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I think that current first aid courses don't really recommend checking for pulse or breath, but rather responsiveness - if someone does not react in any way to a strong stimuli, start CPR immediately. But this is for mere mortals, medical personnel have different procedures for sure.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I dont have any life threatening illnesses so Im happy enough for any medics to save my life first and look for my ID later. For me, thats what its for. So my next of kin can be contacted if I am unable to give that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I think that current first aid courses don't really recommend checking for pulse or breath, but rather responsiveness - if someone does not react in any way to a strong stimuli, start CPR immediately. But this is for mere mortals, medical personnel have different procedures for sure.

Think pulse is one of the secondary checks now. (Doing Occupational First Aid training at the moment). There are also checks you should do before starting CPR. Any previous courses I did mentioned the possibility of a medical bracelet.

Anyway - if anyone is buying a road ID use this link -

http://www.roadid.com/?TafInvite=4T5X4?CID=TAF2JJRNZBF

Cos I get 10 quid credit for everyone who uses it. Then I can buy more road ids!! :) (or alternatively raffle it off or donate it or something)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

First first-aider on the scene for me thought I was dead. Fortunately the next one (and first "proper" medic on the scene) was just back from working with the British Forces in Helmand Province and knew how to cope with a trauma situation. He got there within a couple of minutes. He checked my airways, and discovered a blockage (I must have swallowed my tongue). He sorted it out - he reckoned another 2 minutes and I would definitely have been dead.

Glad someone was checking breath in my case as some of you guys may not have been able to cope with the prospect of Zyzz becoming a mod:P

Whoa, that was serious indeed :eek::eek::eek:

Did the first guy start the CPR chest compressions on you? I would believe that doing this properly would force most objects out from your airways - at least that's what I've been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

With the EMT hat on...

Standard survey is to check the limbs and neck for tags; medialert ones for allergies or medical conditions. We'd even pat down the pockets for ID and other information.

Whoa, that was serious indeed :eek::eek::eek:

Did the first guy start the CPR chest compressions on you? I would believe that doing this properly would force most objects out from your airways - at least that's what I've been told.
    Suspect not, as I said the message I got from the second medic was the first one thought I was dead and may have been panicking. One thing I would note based on what I've seen generally at races - even some of the "ambulances" are manned by people who give the appearance of being quite young and inexperienced, and it may be that first guy simply had never encountered anything approaching the seriousness of my situation.

There was no ambulance at the race (the club involved changed it's policy as a result), just medics/first aiders. Took 45 mins for an ambulance to get there (I was apparently laid out on the outside lane of the dual carriageway in freezing rain - they were at the point of driving me to hospital in a car when it finally did arrive). Was unconscious for the first 30 mins or so and have no memory for a few hours thereafter Don't remember any chest pains (can't remember much pain from a few of the fractures, but suspect I was on a few strong painkillers at that stage)

the first one thought I was dead

I understand that inexperienced medic may have panicked a bit, but not attempting resuscitation because you "think someone's dead" (when the accident happened short while ago) makes me simply angry...

Gosh, good you're alright now.

I understand that inexperienced medic may have panicked a bit, but not attempting resuscitation because you "think someone's dead" (when the accident happened short while ago) makes me simply angry...
    I honestly don't know. Clearly I was not aware of what was going on at the time. One person who was at the scene shortly after the accident indicated the first medic thought I was dead (who knows - possibly could have received radio contact as an organiser of the event - that may have triggered communication with the second medic who was following a different race on the other side of the dual carriageway and fortunately not far away). I eventually met up with the 2nd medic and he explained a bit more about what happened at the scene. Hence to some extent I'm putting 2 and 2 together, but from what I've been told it was the 2nd guy who checked my airways and got me breathing

I was involved in the "secondary" race - I say secondary, but maybe more considered less risky given it was ladies and 50+ Masters. I understand a "medic" was following the race and was therefore on the scene very quickly - I've no idea what qualifications he may have had though. For all I know he may have communicated with the 2nd guy and quickly discovered he was at that stage nearby and thought it best to leave it until he arrived (as he was clearly the senior medic in attendance). There were others needing attention also - one reasonably serious, plus a few walking wounded. However as I've alluded to I've had to piece all this together based on a number of reports in what must have been a very traumatic situation (for everyone else - I was clearly completely out of it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

airway breathing circulation

thats from my first aid course

oh and you cant swallow your tongue it sort of flops back and blocks the airway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

(I must have swallowed my tongue).

That explains that funny accent of yours so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Had ICE number on phone (unlocked) but no one checked. Took them a few hours to track down my wife. Think I may have given them a garbled number for her. They even had a certain NCD GP head to my home to try and track her down. Think she may have been on the way to the hospital by then so maybe I did finally give them the right number. CI now require participants to put an emergency contact number when signing on for their events (largely on the back of the experience they had with me). Now have headset spacers with ICE contact details on all the bikes if anyone ever finds me sprawled in a ditch...

Where'd you get the headset spacers done?

Where'd you get the headset spacers done?
    Kapz

Also have them with club name, team name (in club/team colours), and medals won (in gold and silver as appropriate:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

There are a few people who know me in real life by my Boards name but would not know what my surname is....

Actually have "kerry4sam: It'll be Grand" on my RoadID bracelets <-- must get new bracelets :o More people know and call me as kerry4sam than my real-name.

Just have my name, address, emergency contact, NKA (no known allergies) and No Med History.
    ^^^ Think that sums everything up should the need arise.

Always wear the RoadID bracelet, Peace of Mind if nothing else.
    & it's pink!

Ticks all boxes,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

road id turned up a couple of days ago, seems to be good quality, and it's comfortable.

Got the slim version of ICESTRIPE delivered yesterday, the silicone band is very well fitting, tag is nice and low profile but I was expecting the text to be engraved - it is more like "laser-painted" and I'm not sure if it will not wear off in short time.

http://icestripe.com/sites/default/files/galeria/55/mg6477-2.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got the slim version of ICESTRIPE delivered yesterday, the silicone band is very well fitting, tag is nice and low profile but I was expecting the text to be engraved - it is more like "laser-painted" and I'm not sure if it will not wear off in short time.

http://icestripe.com/sites/default/files/galeria/55/mg6477-2.jpg

Got mine too. And I'm worried that the script will wear out quickly. It's comfy and looks good quality. Pricey even with the discount too, not really worth the money for what it is. But glad I had medi id now all the same. Wont complain too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Got mine too. And I'm worried that the script will wear out quickly. It's comfy and looks good quality. Pricey even with the discount too, not really worth the money for what it is. But glad I had medi id now all the same. Wont complain too much.

It looks like a laser etch rather than a print (mine arrived yesterday too) so I wouldnt worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

Sounds similar to the Road ID's, seem to be laser etched too rather than engraved. I've been wearing mine non-stop since around February, few marks on the Tag but the writing is still perfect, no marks or scratches through it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

joey100 wrote: »
    Sounds similar to the Road ID's, seem to be laser etched too rather than engraved. I've been wearing mine non-stop since around February, few marks on the Tag but the writing is still perfect, no marks or scratches through it.

Good to hear! I intend on wearing this non-stop too, no use if I start taking it off...

Advertisement