Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madeleine McCann

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

Charmeleon wrote: »
    To be honest they probably never even thought of having to write it down in law, Portugal is far more child centred than the UK. Leaving three children under four to fend for themselves while you eat and drink down the road is probably incomprehensible.

Sure,

Not just Portugal

For an innocent couple. They seem to be surrounded by people telling lies. Con men etc. I've never came across a case where there was so much deceit hanging around the innocent party

From dinners with pedophiles to murdered conmen.

Life is stranger than fiction for these two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

The thing that really concerns me is the Robert Murat episode. Three of the ‘Tapas Seven’ claimed to Police they saw him at the Ocean Club the night she disappeared yet his computer records and mother’s statement show he was at home. He was fairly well known in the area but not a single other person saw him.

Then there’s the bizarre episode where Jane Tanner positively identifies him after a strange coincidence where one of the Tapas Seven says hello to him while walking with Jane Tanner to the ID rendezvous. Jane later claims to UK police that she thought she was about to be kidnapped by Spanish Police, hence her bizarre positive ID.

This whole strange aspect to the story deserves closer scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    nthclare wrote: »
    Lost a child ???

It's not that trivial.
    I think there's more to it than losing a child.

How did I in any way imply it was trivial? What's trivial about losing a child?

If I lost my child I think my response and reaction wouldn't be as cold and Narcissistic​ as the Mcann s way of dealing with it.

Hopefully you'll never be in the position to discover how you would or wouldn't deal with it. There isn't a handbook.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

How did I in any way imply it was trivial? What's trivial about losing a child?

You just said it so casually, as if it was like losing a tennis ball or something.

Hopefully you'll never be in the position to discover how you would or wouldn't deal with it. There isn't a handbook.

That's a very shallow response, why compare the emotional response of losing a child to a handbook ?
    That's downright narcissm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

That's a very shallow response, why compare the emotional response of losing a child to a handbook ?

You are being deliberately obtuse.
    I think you’re quite aware that the point being made that there is no standard response to losing a child, because everyone reacts to the trauma and stress from such an event differently.

Unless you have also had the misfortune of losing a child in similar circumstances it’s a bit pious of you to assume to know how you would or wouldn’t react.
    When you have the luxury of being an onlooker it’s very easy to make judgments about how someone should or shouldn’t react to something, but when you are actually in the situation, it’s quite different.

I hope you are never in a position to find out what your response would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I honestly don't think you understood a word I said, or else you're looking for strange alternate meanings in my posts that aren't there at all. Do you even know what narcissism is?

Bizarre post :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

If there is no law in Portugal about leaving your child unattended then they have not broken any laws in any country.

I cant speak Portugese so I do not know what the law is there. And yes they were completely stupid to leave the children unattended.

I honestly don't think you understood a word I said, or else you're looking for strange alternate meanings in my posts that aren't there at all. Do you even know what narcissism is?

Bizarre post :confused:

There's a click of ye here which is a minority,and you're all on the McCann s side in this debate.

There's plenty of evidence pointing towards the fact they could potentially be guilty of a crime.

Most people I know think the McCann's are not being honest and there's overwhelming evidence of the dogs finding the scent of cadaver in various places of which the McCann's have been.

Now it's quite easy to conclude that the evidence is substantially pointing in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There's a click of ye here which is a minority,and you're all on the McCann s side in this debate.

There's plenty of evidence pointing towards the fact they could potentially be guilty of a crime.

Most people I know think the McCann's are not being honest and there's overwhelming evidence of the dogs finding the scent of cadaver in various places of which the McCann's have been.

Now it's quite easy to conclude that the evidence is substantially pointing in the right direction.

You do know that being of the same opinion does not automatically mean you are a clique dont you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

WHY so much world attention on this?
    WHY so much cash donated to this fund?
    WHY so much intrigue,theories of cover ups from the very top of British Government?
    WHY so many claims they are being shielded by powerful people?

It's terrible that a 4 yo Girl has gone missing without a trace,no dispute in that. But I do believe someone has said that Children go missing every year and are yet to be found(?)
    So! Why Maddie? What is so different about her than all the other missing Children in the world?
    This is one of the things I find most puzzling about all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Something Else
    The thing that really concerns me is the Robert Murat episode. Three of the ‘Tapas Seven’ claimed to Police they saw him at the Ocean Club the night she disappeared yet his computer records and mother’s statement show he was at home. He was fairly well known in the area but not a single other person saw him.

Then there’s the bizarre episode where Jane Tanner positively identifies him after a strange coincidence where one of the Tapas Seven says hello to him while walking with Jane Tanner to the ID rendezvous. Jane later claims to UK police that she thought she was about to be kidnapped by Spanish Police, hence her bizarre positive ID.

This whole strange aspect to the story deserves closer scrutiny.

Yes, that was truly awful. They fingered an innocent man and didn't give a **** what the accusation would do/has done to him.

I think this shows the level of their entitlement. They didn't have to look after their children properly because they didn't have to answer to anyone. Framing an innocent man? They didn't care as long as none of them were arrested. Truly horrible people.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You do know that being of the same opinion does not automatically mean you are a clique dont you ?

What about the rest of my post, why do you not respond to that ?

And yet neither the Portuguese Police nor Scotland Yard have compiled enough evidence to convict them of anything, funny that.

The evidence literally points to nothing, that's why over 10 years later the case is still a mystery.

I have yet to see one compelling, realistic timeline that allows for the McCann's to kill their child (be it accidental or on purpose), come up with a plan, and dispose of her body and all evidence so well there's still no trace of the child over a decade later, all while acting normal and having dinner with their friends.

In order for the cadaver scent to be accurate, it would have to mean that Madeleine's body was in the boot of the car at least a fortnight after she went missing.
    With the worlds media tailing them, huge amounts of stress, grief and pressure on them, and the fact that they were surrounded by the Portuguese police, how do you propose they managed to dispose of the body in those circumstances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, that was truly awful. They fingered an innocent man and didn't give a **** what the accusation would do/has done to him.

I think this shows the level of their entitlement. They didn't have to look after their children properly because they didn't have to answer to anyone. Framing an innocent man? They didn't care as long as none of them were arrested. Truly horrible people.

A female journalist fingered Murat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Analysis of alerts by the Central Division of Information Analysis - PJ who had their doubts about them.

Quote:
    From the screening of the videos, referred previously, done when the dogs were working, some doubts arise. We don't want and we can't take the place of the trainer, we only wish to alert, with this paragraph, to some facts, that according to us, need further clarification.
    If the dog is trained to react when he detects what he is looking for, why, in most of the cases, we see the dog passing more than once by that place in an uninterested way, until he finally signals the place where he had already passed several times'
    On one of the films, it's possible to see that 'Eddie' sniffs Madeleine's cuddle cat, more than once, bites it, throws it into the air and only after the toy is hidden does he 'mark' it (page 2099). Whys didn't he signal it when he sniffs it on the first time'
    Apart from all that was said about the dogs, we must also take into attention the results of the forensic analysis that was performed by the experts on the Scientific Police Laboratory on the day immediately after the facts, and already mentioned where no vestige of blood was found.

Forensics
    Nowhere in the forensics report is it mentioned that blood was found. DNA was identified but it wasn't Madeleine's. Most of the samples had to be analysed using LCN techniques, and in most (relevant) cases the material of the sample couldn't be identified.

On the samples three DNA profiles were identified:
    - A low level incomplete DNA profile which matched the corresponding components in the DNA profile of Gerald McCann was obtained from cellular material on the key card(286C/2007-CRL(12)).
    - 286A/2007-CRL 5A & B Swabs collected from the wall of the apartment ... In my opinion, Fernando Viegas could have contributed DNA to this result.
    - 286/2007-CRL (17) Cement-glue [grouting] between the floor tiles identified as number 2...In my opinion, the major part of the profile matched that of Lino Henriques.

All three of the above mentioned people are (were at the time) still very much alive. Fernando Viegas and Lino Henriques are Portuguese Forensic experts.

More recently, in Amaral’s book, he states it’s Eddie who helped to find a body buried under a flagstone at the former orphanage, Haut-de-la-Garenne, in Jersey, setting for a terrible case of paedophilia and child murder.

Amaral has got it wrong. There was no body. It was something that looked like it was a piece of a skull fragment. But it wasn't according to the Oxford Radiocarbon Accelerator Unit

Quote:
    In an email on April 8, the Oxford laboratory told Jersey police the fragment ‘ain’t bone’. It followed this up with a detailed letter on May 1, which Mr Harper claims not to have received, confirming the find was not bone but, in view of its curvature, more likely to be a seed casing or piece of coconut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Accident happened, parents hid body
    They fingered an innocent man and didn't give a **** what the accusation would do/has done to him.

Ohhh kinky!!!

If there is no law in Portugal about leaving your child unattended then they have not broken any laws in any country.

I cant speak Portugese so I do not know what the law is there. And yes they were completely stupid to leave the children unattended.

See, I don’t think anyone here thinks they are actually stupid. Stupid would be not realising or understanding the risks of leaving three children under four in an unlocked apartment at night, one which opens directly onto a quiet public road

It is the fact that they understood the risks and hazards but did it anyway (if you believe the apartment really was left unlocked) that makes it child neglect rather than a ‘stupid mistake’.

I don’t think anyone is debating their irresponsibility. They made the most stupid of decisions that I fail to understand from two people who should know better. Unfortunately, educated people are not immune from making mistakes, and they are now paying the ultimate cost for their decision.
    What is up for debate is whether or not their decision amounted to child neglect. Personal opinions aside, it is a matter of documented fact that they were investigated for this charge and it was found that no crime took place.
    You can debate until the cows come home and cite the irrelevancies of UK law when the act didn’t even take place there, the facts will still remain the facts. That is not me defending their decision, that is me arguing fact.

Seems some Portuguese officials are saying they should have been prosecuted for abandonment but weren’t because the Tapas Seven persuaded them this was normal behaviour for English parents and the police initially felt sorry for them: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjJluOVr5rfAhU1URUIHfChAa8QzPwBegQIARAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fevoke.ie%2F2016%2F04%2F30%2Fnews%2Fworld%2Fwhy-maddie-mccanns-parents-werent-prosecuted-for-abondonment&psig=AOvVaw2XXJWM0N1ft4mqDH1LUM49&ust=1544706740736574

It is difficult to see the point in this as no action has ever been taken against the McCanns for negligence.

From Gerry McCann's blog - Day 80 - 22/07/2007 - Sunday
    Quote:
    There is a very upsetting story on the front page of a British National Newspaper today. The headline suggests that Kate and I face prosecution for neglecting our children by dining 50 yards away and checking on them regularly. We know that there has been criticism in some quarters of our actions but at the time, we felt our actions were responsible. We were essentially performing our own baby listening service (edit by retro: a service legal in Portugal) although we have talked of the guilt we felt at now being there at the moment Madeleine was taken.

We have been advised that legally our behaviour was well within the bounds of responsible parenting and subsequently been assured that no action will be taken. These types of criticism, particularly at this stage, as well as being hurtful are extremely unhelpful in the search for Madeleine.

What Kate and I did was naïve and no one should forget that the real criminal is the predator who has taken a completely innocent child in such a premeditated fashion. It is this act that has wreaked havoc on our family and affected millions of other people.

Clarence Mitchell being interviewed by SkyNews
    Here he is commenting about the Madeleine Foundation's attempt to bring about a private prosecution against the McCanns for neglect:-
    Quote:
    "We will not comment on this, other than to say Kate and Gerry have committed no offence under UK law, indeed any other country's law.
    "They regret very much that they were not with Madeleine when she was taken“

Again, the Foundation tried and failed to bring a case against the Mc Cann’s for neglect. I wonder why they failed.

• Advertisement

Parents who neglected children in ‘we didn’t commit criminal offence according to our lawyers’ shocker.

Parents who neglected children in ‘we didn’t commit criminal offence according to our lawyers’ shocker.

Are you selectively ignoring the fact that the Madeline Foundation tried to bring a case against them for child neglect and failed?
    Why do you think that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It is well known that they should not have let three children alone, I guess, they rue the day they did that, but their daughter is missing, and someone knows something out there,

I asked this a few pages back but I’d be interested in the proof that states the Mc Canns spent more on legal fees than the search for the daughter. Can’t seem to find anything myself. Thanks.

cnocbui wrote: »
    A female journalist fingered Murat.
    Yep. He was first thrust to the forefront of the investigation after a journalist found his behaviour sufficiently odd to merit reporting to the Portuguese police. He seemed eager to assist in the search and the journo had him marked as Ian Huntley no2.
    Robert also believes it was an inside job, Quote “have the police started looking at the people who work there? If not, they should."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I asked this a few pages back but I’d be interested in the proof that states the Mc Canns spent more on legal fees than the search for the daughter. Can’t seem to find anything myself. Thanks.

I am not sure that it has ever been published how the fund was spent . But there must be some accountability for it somewhere I presume ?

Maybe Spanish Eyes or those who thanked her post could tell us.
    If only the mcs had spent as much money on searching for their daughter as they did suing anyone who had a thought other than theirs.... (and paid for by the donations to the fund too I'd imagine, Carter Ruck lawyers don't come cheap).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Something Else
    SusieBlue wrote: »
    And yet neither the Portuguese Police nor Scotland Yard have compiled enough evidence to convict them of anything, funny that.

The evidence literally points to nothing, that's why over 10 years later the case is still a mystery.

I have yet to see one compelling, realistic timeline that allows for the McCann's to kill their child (be it accidental or on purpose), come up with a plan, and dispose of her body and all evidence so well there's still no trace of the child over a decade later, all while acting normal and having dinner with their friends.

In order for the cadaver scent to be accurate, it would have to mean that Madeleine's body was in the boot of the car at least a fortnight after she went missing.
    With the worlds media tailing them, huge amounts of stress, grief and pressure on them, and the fact that they were surrounded by the Portuguese police, how do you propose they managed to dispose of the body in those circumstances?

It's not funny at all. Sadly many crimes are unsolved. It doesn't mean they are innocent.

It's not funny at all. Sadly many crimes are unsolved. It doesn't mean they are innocent.

And by the same token, it doesn’t make them guilty either.
    Can’t have it both ways unfortunately.

• Advertisement

They are innocent until proven otherwise. It’s the most basic principle that underscores the justice system. You might need to familiarise yourself with it.
    This case has been the most high profile missing child case the world has ever known. There has been an unlimited amount of resources and interest in it. They have been criticised the world over. They’ve been analysed and pulled apart, everything has been criticised, down to innocuous finger and eye movements, people are desperate to find anything that paints them as sinister. There are more than enough people in the world with enough will and power, coupled with an inherent dislike for Kate and Gerry who could take them to task and bring about justice for Madeline should they be responsible. The fact it’s almost 12 years later and they haven’t been charged with anything, coupled with the fact that they are still chasing active leads and trying to find out what happened their daughter, should tell you all you need to know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement