Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi driver protest

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Ha ha well I'm in the next county - Mayo.
    There are a lot of takeaways here would you believe who dont have a delivery service cause they wont pay for drivers. Seems a bit stupid. The takeaways are doing great business here. Must be the only ones plus the off licences. Maybe we are in the wrong jobs :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

blahblah06 wrote: »
    first it would free up jobs for cab drivers to take. Secondly there not making money by working weekends. On a good fri sat night 8 hour shift they would get 150 per night so that's 300 without any expenses taken out. U may say 150 is low people earn more. Average that's what they would earn. So they Need to work 6 months to pay for there plate. That's without fuel insurance and depreciation taken into factor tax then paid and yearly nct etc. then minus the time they lose with there family on weekends
    by staying in bed after there shift

So if the part timers worked twice as much it would free up jobs for other drivers???
    Why would they not be working weekends if they were full time??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

How much is a licence might do it part time for some pocket money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

koolkid wrote: »
    So if the part timers worked twice as much it would free up jobs for other drivers???
    Why would they not be working weekends if they were full time??

no they quit there other job as you said and i would gladly jump into there job and get out of the taxi game with the money for my plate in my back pocket.

Hootanany wrote: »
    How much is a licence might do it part time for some pocket money

6300 for the licence plate then your yearly 250 renewal then taxi insurance etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

no they quit there other job as you said and i would gladly jump into there job and get out of the taxi game with the money for my plate in my back pocket.
    More than likely you wouldn't be qualified. Taxi driving is such a low skilled job , what has all that sitting on your arse got you experience in.:D
    6300 for the licence plate then your yearly 250 renewal then taxi insurance etc etc.
    Is that it???
    Jeez if you cant turn a profit from that you are doing something wrong :D:D

jesus christ. you are something else. i answer your questions and you just call me thick. ive alread stated what I have experience in. have you got nothing better to put to this argument

ive also broke down what part timers have to work to in order to break even

Secondly there not making money by working weekends. On a good fri sat night 8 hour shift they would get 150 per night so that's 300 without any expenses taken out. U may say 150 is low people earn more. Average that's what they would earn. So they Need to work 6 months to pay for there plate. That's without fuel insurance and depreciation taken into factor tax then paid and yearly nct etc. then minus the time they lose with there family on weekends
    by staying in bed after there shift

You answered all the questions??? Sorry I must have missed that..
    Still waiting on an answer to these.
    Why should the taxi industry be protected from competition during the recession over any other industry?
    What have you got against competition in a free market?
    If you owned a shop & another shop opened down the road (or worse still beside you) would you be out blocking the streets demanding a cap on the number of shops allowed.
    I'm sorry but you answer re part -timers ... You wern't seriousally counting that as an answer were you??
    So maybe you could answer that logically as well.
    How (honestly now!!!) could you possibly be better off if all the part timers started working full time??

You answered all the questions??? Sorry I must have missed that..
    Still waiting on an answer to these.
    Why should the taxi industry be protected from competition during the recession over any other industry? others have answered
    What have you got against competition in a free market? answered already
    If you owned a shop & another shop opened down the road (or worse still beside you) would you be out blocking the streets demanding a cap on the number of shops allowed. shops dont work the streets they work indoors we work outdoor. its different.
    I'm sorry but you answer re part -timers ... You wern't seriousally counting that as an answer were you?? yup i was
    So maybe you could answer that logically as well.
    How (honestly now!!!) could you possibly be better off if all the part timers started working full time?? because as ive said they would quit there jobs and would give us a chance to get a job then. I suppose as well it would be fair competition and the part timers wouldnt only experience the busy times but the quiet times to and realised it doesnt balance out. (but you said i couldnt replace their jobs cause i was thick)

ive answered everything you deserve an answer to. I cant do anything better than that. if you dont accept my answers thats your choice.

Answers dodged once again...
    I hope your driving skills are better than your debating skills.
    because as ive said they would quite there jobs and would give us a chance to get a job then
    If that is the case then why are you worried about more people coming into the business?
    They are creating real jobs for you them. Well done problem solved. Let the whole population become taxi drivers if they want. That way the unskilled labour force that is our countrys taxi drivers can then get down to the serious work or running the country.
    " the lunatics have taken over the asylum"

PS incase your getting an english teachers job
    quite= Quit
    there= Their

• Advertisement

Answers dodged once again...
    I hope your driving skills are better than your debating skills.

If that is the case then why are you worried about more people coming into the business?
    They are creating real jobs for you them. Well done problem solved. Let the whole population become taxi drivers if they want. That way the unskilled labour force that is our countrys taxi drivers can then get down to the serious work or running the country.
    " the lunatics have taken over the asylum"

i love the way you keep calling us unskilled. whats yours skill? so do you have a problem with all the taxi drivers and bin men etc in this country? you have some neck you know that. grow up.
    ive said numerous of bloody times ive no problem with new people coming into the job once there full time and up to scratch. do you bloody listen

sure the way things are going it wouldnt suprise me if the whole populations does become drivers.

Oh and regarding the sp. Ive already said im using an iphone to type and have apologised at the start of this forum or did you forget to read that to ?
    im not answering anymore of your questions

Your not answering questions full stop. You are not making much sense either, and in typical childish fashion so suited to taxi drivers you then sulk & say
    im not answering anymore of your questions
    What you mean is you cant answer sensibly the following questions.
    If you have no bother with full time workers coming into the industry why would part timers be a threat?
    If there is no problem with full time drivers then why look for a cap on licences?
    And yet again
    Why should the taxi industry be protected from competition during the recession over any other industry?
    If you owned a shop & another shop opened down the road (or worse still beside you) would you be out blocking the streets demanding a cap on the number of shops allowed.

Your not answering questions full stop. You are not making much sense either, and in typical childish fashion so suited to taxi drivers you then sulk & say
    What you mean is you cant answer sensibly the following questions.
    If you have no bother with full time workers coming into the industry why would part timers be a threat?
    If there is no problem with full time drivers then why look for a cap on licences?
    And yet again

More questions adding to the list? Us taxi drivers will answer your questions sensibly when you stop abusing our career. ive answered your old questions and if you dont like the answers ask someone else. (your forum name explains you to a t). saying im a child? LOL thats hilarious

You cant answer them can you.?
    Don't get upset about it. No other taxi driver i've met has been able to either.
    Whose is abusing your career?
    From what ye are all saying there is no money in it, so it cant career. Perhaps a hobby then?
    Honestly though. You come on here & call yourself blagblah & then say my name suits me. 3 word come to mind POT KETTLE BLACK

If you cant debate like an adult then best say goodnight. But resorting to name calling doesn't really support you stance on this.

its actually blahblah. Your abusing my career calling me thick and stupid. you still didnt say what your career is.
    I never said there was no money. did you read my past posts? the questions you have asked me have been answered and you just keep adding to the list. im not wasting my time with you

Debate like an adult. You ? from the start you have been acting childish.

It is common knowledge that Taxi driving is a low skilled job. Not abusing your career that a simple fact.
    With the figures shown earlier I said if you cant make any money from that you must be think. As you never said there was no money in it then that doesn't refer to you now does it?
    If these questions have been answered then why not quote them.
    As for been childish... Name calling , refusing to talk & sulking really says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i love the way you keep calling us unskilled. whats yours skill? so do you have a problem with all the taxi drivers and bin men etc in this country?
    There are new bin collection firms opening all the time, so I expect there is a bit of competition. And if the likes of the Panda binmen drove their binlorries and blocked the main street in the capital calling for a ban on licences for new bin lorries, then YES people would have a problem with them. Companies would have invested in bin lorries thinking it was a golden goose and then discovering OMG you mean we actually have competition, nobody told us this was possible :rolleyes:. If contract cleaners asked for a ban on part time cleaners or part time window cleaners and blocked the streets, then people would have a problem. What is so hard to understand about this?
    sure the way things are going it wouldnt suprise me if the whole populations does become drivers.
    Now you are beginning to understand, your comment does infer it is quite low skilled.

From this site
    http://taxidriversforchange.org/Submission.html
    Drivers should be able to achieve the average industrial wage for a reasonable working week (45 to 50 hours).
    I find that a ridiculous expectation for the level of training involved.
    Us taxi drivers will answer your questions sensibly when you stop abusing our career.
    No answers were given to the main questions asked over and over. In another thread you even commented that I "must love repeating myself", I said I hate it, but I would still like to hear answers, but everybody knows them already, there is none you can reasonable give without looking like an utterly biased hypocrite with crazy expectations.

Show me were it's fact that taxi is a low skilled job? The figures I quoted were to do with part time drivers and what they need to earn to make profit a year of weekends solid will pay there starting cost fess which I've said 3 times.
    I'm not going back on 40 pages of repeats all questions u have asked without adding more in the last two days have been answered.

I refuse to talk because I've better things to be doing then repeating myself to you who knows nothing about the taxi game. U still haven't told me what your career is by the way. You avoiding that question ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Let's just say I don't appreciate the tone of this thread over the past 24 hours so I'm going to give you all a day off the thread and send myself a reminder to unlock it tomorrow evening 9pm.

Regards,

Calina.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

what has all that sitting on your arse got you experience in.
    Can you knock off the condecending tone?

Whats the single most important job skill? Showing up.

Other skills that drivers have (to some extent or other):
    Driving
    Navigation
    Handling cash
    Dealing with the public
    Self-employment skills

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement