Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I put a deposit on a classic car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭gussieg

To think I bought one of these for 5 pounds off someone who wanted to get out of parking fines, and another for 60. They seemed to be like water through my fingers never really got to hold onto either of them, the first was apparently 'stolen' and the other got taken to a garage for work to be done before I had okayed it. One of the first cars I learned to drive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

Called into the guys in Kingscourt today to see if there was any developments .. delay in the supply of parts from France has slowed up progress . Took a photo of a Citroën DS that's being worked on .. have been promised a spin when its finished ..
    Forgot to mention the next 2CV their going to do will be a ev with Tesla parts .. plus €9000 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

gussieg wrote: »
    To think I bought one of these for 5 pounds off someone who wanted to get out of parking fines, and another for 60. They seemed to be like water through my fingers never really got to hold onto either of them, the first was apparently 'stolen' and the other got taken to a garage for work to be done before I had okayed it. One of the first cars I learned to drive in.

Worse: I know someone with one of those black/burgundy garage right now that hasn't moved in 10 years, and won't do anything with it......... :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

kadman wrote: »
    Its doubtful that full body restos will ever be financially viable on the majority of classic cars.

Whether they be exceptional marques or not. Run of the mill classics, will always be more costly

to restore, than buying an already restored one. Exceptional classics will always command exceptional

resto costs by their nature of rarity of parts and car. That does not mean that this cost is recoupable on sale.

I would say that classic car ownership is an expensive hobby, unless you can do a lot of your own restoration

work.And an enthusiast will never recoup his labour cost, but of course they are not in it for that.

You're not wrong.

We have such a family heirloom at home, and it will need a complete ground-up restoration at some point. And there are a couple of people here who have done them, and done them well.

However, for giggles, knowing that M-B has a factory restoration service available, I did contact them and ask for a price to do likewise, to ours.

€150k+ is what I was told. :eek:

I love the car, but no W111 is worth that !! :P:P:P

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 64,884 ✭✭✭✭unkel

noelf wrote: »
    Called into the guys in Kingscourt today to see if there was any developments .. delay in the supply of parts from France has slowed up progress . Took a photo of a Citroën DS that's being worked on .. have been promised a spin when its finished ..
    Forgot to mention the next 2CV their going to do will be a ev with Tesla parts .. plus €9000 ..

Is that green "oil drum" that seems to be welded in there standard? I presume it's for the hydropneumatic fluid? Must be a good 8-10 liters?

• Advertisement

Suspension brakes steering all hydraulic and very complicated and when it gives trouble car just sits down ..
    Parts for the DS are very expensive as a example a front wing ( in fiberglass) is over €700 ..

More photos today ..

Fiat Topolino is progressing nicely ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

10k to spray a TT is shocking. Is this the price to spray now? I'd say the panel beaters are in cloud 9 from easy money from the insurance companies ...but eventually our pockets.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

lalababa wrote: »
    10k to spray a TT is shocking. Is this the price to spray now? I'd say the panel beaters are in cloud 9 from easy money from the insurance companies ...but eventually our pockets.

Not surprising really, its been a good many years since a decent spray job was 5K+ euros.

You can get 400 euro spray jobs on DD for 400 euro ....boss:D

• Advertisement

lalababa wrote: »

Panel beaters is exactly what you don't want. I could probably just 'paint' it for a fraction of that, but I'm looking to do it properly.

But yes, 10k is bonkers, you're not wrong there. Must be a middle ground somewhere.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

galwaytt wrote: »
    I've been quoted €8,500 here to respray (properly) my 01 TT - with no panel work needed at all, so €10,500 is a bargain for a whole-car resto to me.

Would you mind PMing me who that is please? If it's in Galway I want to avoid them and I've a respray likely coming up next year.

A bit of a bargain here in Harford Motors in Ashbourne galwaytt €76 grand 😀

Fabulous.

Ode To The Motorist

Latest photos from Poland this evening..

A few more pictures from SL Modifications this afternoon ..

Got a WhatsApp from Mark to say the car will be painted next week he also sent me a video of his own car ..

https://youtu.be/jZX4nBYuubA

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irshmerc

Classy looking car that right there

Making progress now its really coming together .. engine running as well after being rebuilt

https://youtu.be/yRkANA_ioIY ..

Should the top roof strut be dipping??. I know its a lite strut that could easily be straightened.

Coming along well tho.

• Advertisement

Thanks Kadman will keep a eye out for that 😉 all advice and comments welcome..

Its probably nothing, as the strut is a lite material so its easily
    sorted.

It was an observation , more than a criticism:)

Your car seems to be progressing nicely. Things tend to move faster
    once the metal repairs are done. Good stuff:cool:

It's been painted ☺

Outside will be done tomorrow..

Latest pictures..

Latest pictures of the Topolino..

Body chassis and engine reconnected ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Your plan is coming together very nicely Noel, looks fantastic, would take 10 years to get it that far here by yourself . It’s going to be better than French Citroen factory fresh . Well done .

Wow thanks very much Bigus ..

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikehn

Following with interest noelf. My Brother and I did one around 2012 and this really brings back memories. Really straight forward to work on. Link attached for some of our build pics. Enjoy your machine, I reckon its going to be stunning. https://www.flickr.com/photos/182805102@N07/?

• Advertisement

Thats brilliant Mike do you still have the 2CV and a DS..Nice

Advertisement