Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think that a friend of mine is gay

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dysfunct

hello again,
    i would have posted under the unregisted nick but i wouldnt work, i dont really care anyway.
    my post seems to have gotten a lot of replies,
    even though some are suprising,
    tbh though if i was as homophobic as young logic1, i'd probably be queer bashing right now and probably wouldnt have posted in the first place.
    i'm suprised that he/she is still allowed to post in this forum.
    Originally posted by logic1
    Kill him.

.logic.
    Don't ever go for a piss in the pub at the same time. He's bound to try and **** you in the ass.

.logic.
    Haha e.g. bend over.

.logic.

btw im not in my early teens, its just that if you lived where i live you would have zero interaction with people that arent straight.

imo there is a certain level of uneasiness, even disgust towards homosexuals in all of us and the reason i posted this was if my friend came out i didnt know what my "level" would be.
    tbh, I dont know if i would treat him as one of the lads.
    I couldnt even begin to think how the rest of my friends would react.
    but the friend who im talking about is very popular so hopefully if something does happen he wont be alienated from the group.

thanks for yer input.
    except logic1, you can **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by dysfunct

btw im not in my early teens, its just that if you lived where i live you would have zero interaction with people that arent straight.

can you explain what this means?
    im not sure what any interaction has to do with anything. if you met someone from say siberia would you feel the same?
    imo there is a certain level of uneasiness, even disgust towards homosexuals in all of us

sorry?
    i dont think i said that?
    i am not disgusted by homosexuals.
    why would i be?
    perhaps youd better expand on this thrilling theory. i really feel the need to sit down and read your discourse onthis perticular one...

the reason i posted this was if my friend came out i didnt know what my "level" would be.

your level of disgust i assume?
    so you have already made your mind up that you would be disgusted with your friend for being gay.
    so hes not actually your friend and youve already put him into a catagory havent you. what is he turns out not to be gay?
    will you accept him back into your loving (purely platonic and obviously not homosexual) arms?

tbh, I dont know if i would treat him as one of the lads.
    I couldnt even begin to think how the rest of my friends would react.

are you worried about how your friends would react?
    maybe they arent as blind to the 'ways of the world' as you.
    maybe theyve seen a gay man on tele and dont find it as 'disgusting' as you do.
    but the friend who im talking about is very popular so hopefully if something does happen he wont be alienated from the group.

arent you just all heart.
    maybe you are jealous becuase he is popular.
    maybe he has told some of his other friends and just wont tell you because you arent his friend. maybe he knows youre a homophobe and doesnt want anything to do with you. and what business of yours? none to be honest.

thanks for yer input.
    except logic1, you can **** off.

no, thanks for renewing my faith in humanity.
    i thik logic is just taking the píss by the way.
    you obviously dont have any common sense. its easy to spot someone who is being silly, and its easy to spot someone who is homophobic. you fall into both catagories.

just an opinion, but worth its weight in gold...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

dysfunct: thanks for coming out of the closet (by not being unregistered ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by ayatollah:

sorry mildly camp!?!??!?
    Yes, that's what I meant. I dunno what you mean by this tbh :confused:

Anyway, I wouldn't be too hard on dysfunct WWM. It is true that gay culture has hardly permeated Irish society as a whole, and from this point of view one would not have had many encounters with gay individuals (socially or otherwise :p). In this respect, it can come as a surprise to someone to learn that a friend of theirs is gay, and people think (falsely IMO) that they should react in some way or other.

In my experience, people can slag gays off, but this doesn't usually constitute homophobia.

<rant>
    Why I was playing CS on Radox earlier today, when an admin message flashed up "Homophobic, racist and sexist comments are not allowed on this server". After this I said "I'm soo tempted to say that's ghey". Unsurprisingly, I got booted. It sometimes surprises me how much offence a person can take on behalf of other people (and I wonder if it's a permanent ban :p)
    </rant>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

LOL, ah you gotta love the old, im never gonna change, im right and you do it my way because ive the p0wer types :)

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    i am not disgusted by homosexuals.
    why would i be?
    in fairness WhiteWashMan if you say that you've never had anything other than apathy towards this then good for you.

but how would you expect someone with zero interaction with gays react?
    imo interaction is everything, how is someone supposed to learn effictively without interaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

in fairness WhiteWashMan if you say that you've never had anything other than apathy towards this then good for you.

imo interaction is everything, how is someone supposed to learn effictively without interaction?

It appears to me that your attitude already leans toward the homophobic stance.
    You've interacted with Gay people I'm sure, you just didn't know. Not everyone you meet is going to let you know their sexuality.

It seems to me, that you're extremely naive in your view, but all the answers here (the serious ones anyway) were good answers. There's not a slight uneasiness or level of disgust in all of us - that's rediculous.

What's the big deal if he is gay, so what. Get on with life, continue to be his friend, and grow the fúck up!!!

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    It appears to me that your attitude already leans toward the homophobic stance.
    i agree, unfortunatly
    Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    What's the big deal if he is gay, so what. Get on with life, continue to be his friend, and grow the fúck up!!!
    point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

i agree, unfortunatly

point taken.

Damn!! I was hoping for a rumble! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

There is no set way to react if someone tells you that they're gay, generally my reaction is: "Ok."

It doesnt make any difference to me whatsoever, if the people confided in me before then they'll continue to do that, if they didnt then they know that they can, whether or not they are gay makes absoluetly no different.

Why treat someone differently based on their sexuality? Be a friend regardless.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

do you treat every interaction with someone you meet as some sort of battle, or does everyone disgust you?
    what their rexuality is, i have no idea, and its no business of yours to be honest...

Advertisement