Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pelletstown station gets go-ahead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

IE 222 wrote: »
    With DART been expanded onto the line in the near future is it a missed opportunity not to design the station and clear the site for passing loops to be included at a future date. DART and the increased frequencies will have a major impact on Sligo services. The Northern and Wexford lines are clear examples of the operational restrictions caused by not having passing loops available.

I'd imagine they will do this at the ashtown station when they need to introduce the overpass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

cronos wrote: »
    I'd imagine they will do this at the ashtown station when they need to introduce the overpass.

Realistically the line should be quad at the very least from Broombridge to Ashtown. As you say there will be a major redevelopment of Ashtown in the future which could incorporate this and allow for quad tracking through the station and run up to Navan Rd station. No need to rebuild Broombridge but the quad tracking could start/finish just west of the station.

This would give a wide window for passing manoeuvres without speed restrictions for either services as the DARTS will have 2 stops on the section along with the actual running line in between.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

None of that is going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

L1011 wrote: »
    None of that is going to happen

Exactly, but it should. At the very least a station similar to clongriffin should be built. Users of the line should foresee and take note of the issues on the Northern and Wexford line due to Dart and be campaigning for these changes before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Construction starting in weeks with completion in mid 2021.

https://twitter.com/RCPCA1/status/1229514141599137792?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Great, longer travelling times for the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I do not understand the necessity for this station as there is only approx 2.4 km distance between Ashtown and Broombridge stations meaning any residents living between the two existing stations are no more than 1.2 kilometres away depending which of the stations are closer to where they live.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ongarboy wrote: »
    I do not understand the necessity for this station as there is only approx 2.4 km distance between Ashtown and Broombridge stations meaning any residents living between the two existing stations are no more than 1.2 kilometres away depending which of the stations are closer to where they live.

1.2km distance is enough to push people to their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

People on the other side of the track (Ashington) are much further from both stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Need we remind ourselves that a father and young child lost their lives, taking a "shortcut" over the tracks and canal into Pelletstown. It may not seem much of a trek from ashington into Pelletstown/ashtown station , but the trek upto the navan road down to the halfway house and down over the railway tracks is considerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Anyone know if the footbridges they’re installing here are behind the CIE barriers? If they’re publicly accessible instead, it’d provide some sorely needed permeability for this whole area - for Pelletstown to access Ashington Park, and for Ashington to access the amenities around Pelletstown. When I lived in RCP (this was before the new bridge too), the disconnect between the two areas was really frustrating, given the birds eye proximity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

That's only people living directly between the two stations. Which is probably nobody, at best a handful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

MJohnston wrote: »
    Anyone know if the footbridges they’re installing here are behind the CIE barriers? If they’re publicly accessible instead, it’d provide some sorely needed permeability for this whole area - for Pelletstown to access Ashington Park, and for Ashington to access the amenities around Pelletstown. When I lived in RCP (this was before the new bridge too), the disconnect between the two areas was really frustrating, given the birds eye proximity.

No barriers on the footbridge. As you note, it'll be great for access and connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I cycle more just to get to the train station. People in pelletstown could cycle into the city in no time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

No barriers on the footbridge. As you note, it'll be great for access and connectivity.

If only you could buy shares in Romayos - Royal Canal Park

Phil.x wrote: »
    I cycle more just to get to the train station. People in pelletstown could cycle into the city in no time at all.

You are wildly underestimating the laziness of the average person.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,275 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Great, longer travelling times for the majority.

I hope they intend putting more carriages on the trains, because they're already stretched to capacity at the moment during peak hours. I've seen people getting stuck on the train at Broombridge while they were trying to get off to connect with the Luas, simply because there were too many bodies in their way.

Zaph wrote: »
    I hope they intend putting more carriages on the trains, because they're already stretched to capacity at the moment during peak hours. I've seen people getting stuck on the train at Broombridge while they were trying to get off to connect with the Luas, simply because there were too many bodies in their way.

There are no extra carriages to go in to service.

There is a small order for additional 22000 series units in, these are the type used for some services to M3 Parkway. These will be clamoured for from all over the country so the benefit may not be noticed at all.

The new DART carriages for when the line is electrified have not been ordered yet.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,275 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There are no extra carriages to go in to service.

There is a small order for additional 22000 series units in, these are the type used for some services to M3 Parkway. These will be clamoured for from all over the country so the benefit may not be noticed at all.

Yeah, I knew about the order for new stock, but without being totally flippant, where do Irish Rail expect all the extra passengers to go, on the roofs of the trains? You certainly won't fit too many more bodies on some of the trains I get to and from Docklands.
    The new DART carriages for when the line is electrified have not been ordered yet.

I'm not holding my breath for that. I moved to D15 in 2004, with one of the main attractions being that the line would be electrified "within the next few years". I reckon I'll be retired before it finally happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

And along the canal too. One of the most traffic free routes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Funkyjaw

Construction has started on the Ashington Park side of the canal, removing a lot of trees. Seems a bit excessive. I thought it was just a footbridge from the Ashington side and a cycle path. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Its a 15 to 20 min walk to Ashtown from ashington so definately not worth it, even further to the Luas from that side because your forced to walk around, the new setup makes a big difference and means less hassle for many not to mention the new bridge puts the Luas closer to many in Ashington.
    Funkyjaw wrote: »
    Construction has started on the Ashington Park side of the canal, removing a lot of trees. Seems a bit excessive. I thought it was just a footbridge from the Ashington side and a cycle path. :(

Alot of that is in the way not to mention the wasteland and ditches that need to be cleared out, also some feckers would hide behind those bushes acting up as well, there's nothing of value lost by clearing out all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Infini wrote: »
    Its a 15 to 20 min walk to Ashtown from ashington so definately not worth it, even further to the Luas from that side because your forced to walk around, the new setup makes a big difference and means less hassle for many not to mention the new bridge puts the Luas closer to many in Ashington..

Does anyone know if the foot bridge will open earlier than train station? It will open up the canal area for residents on Ashington side and as you mention gives easier access to the Broombridge Luas and to cyclists how might want to use the canal to get into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm not holding my breath for that. I moved to D15 in 2004, with one of the main attractions being that the line would be electrified "within the next few years". I reckon I'll be retired before it finally happens.

An estate agent told my da a similar thing in the mid 80s when he bought his house in leixlip, thought it would be a great amenity and ‘sure therell be a dart every 20 minutes, get to work in no time at all’, he retires next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Any many more would if it's wasn't so dangerous

An estate agent told my da a similar thing in the mid 80s when he bought his house in leixlip, thought it would be a great amenity and ‘sure therell be a dart every 20 minutes, get to work in no time at all’, he retires next year.

Some tax cuts will get Dart expansion built won't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Some tax cuts will get Dart expansion built won't they?

Privatising the lot might...

Privatising the lot might...

How much rail has private industry paid for in the UK? How many franchises have been bailed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Any many more would if it's wasn't so dangerous

It's not, they've one of the safer commutes right into the city with it being on the canal.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's not, they've one of the safer commutes right into the city with it being on the canal.

Safer being very much relative. It's scary dark on the canals with a lot of pinch points and then you end up at the five lamps which is one of the worst road in Dublin.

So for a good portion of it you only have to worry about being jumped rather than crushed which is safer I suppose

Advertisement