Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we lucky to live in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

El Siglo wrote: »
    As much as this country gets on my nerves and as crap as it is for unemployment, the cost of living, poor governance, quality of life indicators etc... I think I'm genetically predisposed to finding Irish women attractive. For the life of me I can never see myself ending up with someone from a different country no matter where I go. Whenever I'm abroad I light up when I meet an Irish person, and when I'm up North I light up when I meet another Southerner, don't know why it happens but it does. If this didn't happen I wouldn't give two shits about this place and would be off to Oz picking oranges quicker than you can say default. Thank you women of Ireland!;)

im the opposite as much as i love been born here for the sense of humour and craic i never see myself settling here with an irish girl.

Maybe their polititians are just better at concealing it, and they're actually far worse than our cowboys

well they have'nt called in the IMF yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

In what way?

Our mentality as a nation has shifted seismically away from being ruled by the god squad. We've also experienced our first proper cycle of affluence which changes peoples mindsets and lifestyles. We've changed, and will continue to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

beano345 wrote: »
    im the opposite as much as i love been born here for the sense of humour and craic i never see myself settling here with an irish girl.

Jedem das seine!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Our general infrastructure has improved, but there's little things like not building services when building the motorway network, or building a national stadium that's too small that are just ridiculous.

Yep, we just don't seem to be able to plan and build large infrastructural projects here like they do elsewhere in Europe, and when we do attempt it-like the national stadium we invariably get it wrong somehow, or we go way over budget.
    The lack of motorway services in ridiculous. Apart from the service areas where you can stop for something to eat, ever seen the phone boxes they have for drivers to call free of charge in case of emergency every hundred yards or so. That's good thinking.
    Which is all to do with the *adopts Roy Keane voice* acceptance of mediocrity and lack of planning and organisation which is part of our culture, the "ah shure 'til be grand" attitude. Also, compared to other countries like America or France, we're very accepting of corruption and poor planning, or at least not very willing to take action against what we don't like.

That drives me nuts. One of the worst aspects of this country IMO, and the results are evident everywhere and in so many aspects of Irish life from planning to the leaders we elect.
    I never understand why we seem to always settle for second best in terms of the people who govern us, social policy, infrastructure, public transport etc.

And you only have to look at how our beautiful countryside has been destroyed in places by ribbon development and ugly McMansionsto see the effects of bad planning.

Lots of people still seem to have an inferiority complex about the country too, and be very concerned about how we're seen by the "big" countries like America and the U.K, and too concerned about how we look to them, not embarrassing ourselves.

Very much so. We still only seem to appreciate Irish achievement (especially in the arts) when it's gotten the seal of approval from the U.K. or the U.S.
    Doesn't say much for our self-image or confidence as a people when we still feel we need to do that.

/rant

• Advertisement

El Siglo wrote: »
    Jedem das seine!;)

every pot has a lid;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I'm afraid that the IMF being here is not a direct result of political corruption, and is actually due mostly to the nation as a whole's stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

every pot has a lid;)

And every sink has a plug!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Just spent the last 2 weekends going around the West Coast. The ruins of the Marconi Wireless station, Sky Road, Alcock and Brown crash landing site in Clifden. Kilronan castle and Lough Key Forest Park in Roscommon. Glencar waterfall in Leitrim.Went through Sligo and Mayo...and have been to Strandhill and the likes of Westport House a few times.

To Hell or to Connaught....I'll take Connaught please. We are so lucky and I'm somebody who is completely discourage by society here but what a beautiful country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm afraid that the IMF being here is not a direct result of political corruption, and is actually due mostly to the nation as a whole's stupidity.
    Mostly due to the actions of our former taoiseach and minister for finance guaranteeing foreign investors. Don't ever confuse the actions of those fúckwits for that of the nation as a whole, WE didn't do that

• Advertisement

speak for yourself.i worked hard all threw out the boom......im not paying for their mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Sweden had a banking crisis in 1992 caused by a housing bubble just like Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Just spent the last 2 weekends going around the West Coast. The ruins of the Marconi Wireless station, Sky Road, Alcock and Brown crash landing site in Clifden. Kilronan castle and Lough Key Forest Park in Roscommon. Glencar waterfall in Leitrim.Went through Sligo and Mayo...and have been to Strandhill and the likes of Westport House a few times.

To Hell or to Connaught....I'll take Connaught please. We are so lucky and I'm somebody who is completely discourage by society here but what a beautiful country
    In a Larry Murphy kind of way?

Kidding! what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

every scandanavian i ever talked to could'nt believe the levels of political corruption here and that was nearly 8 years ago.it just doesn't happen there they don't let it

Do you talk to Scandinavians knowledgeable about Irish public life a lot then? Just wonderin'...

Einhard wrote: »
    Do you talk to Scandinavians knowledgeable about Irish public life a lot then? Just wonderin'...

yea im still in touch with them and they can't believe whats going on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

I like the Irish weather except all that snow in december and january, that was scary, dont think I could get used to a hot climate, i'm happy with our 1 week of sunshine every year, too much of a good thing and all that...

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Don't ever confuse the actions of those fúckwits for that of the nation as a whole, WE didn't do that
    I suppose that the taoiseach and ministers single handedly fueled the need for developments in places such as Courtown and Arklow for holiday homes, and this was of no fault of the completely innocent nation.

How many people do you know who have more than one house and are trying to offload the second? I see plenty of them, as I live in Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

In a Larry Murphy kind of way?

Kidding! what you mean?

Where I live, Galway city. Unemployment has been pretty big for a long time, not just from the recession. There seems to be an attitude of I couldn't find a job IF I looked for one. It's an artsy type of town in which the unemployed are actually the elitist group. Also in Ireland, yes the politicians are corrupt but it seems like it's nearly bred into people here...everybody is trying to get their piece...I know Phd students on funding going off to conferences with expenses in the thousands but only showing up for a half day of the week long conference, back in my hometown the council would give planning permission to FF heads only back in the day. I know people who are trying to get on disability benefits that shouldn't be applicable.

The country is in a complete tailspin and the amount of 2011 cars I've seen has been staggering. The recession has meant people have had less money..but they still spend more than they have. Then there's the lack of manners on some people..I get that back in the day not many people worked in the service sector in Ireland growing up but it doesn't take much effort to be polite. anyway turning into a rant...lets just say the scenery is amazing here

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Fúck Scandanavia. 6 months of subzero temperatures, 6 months of constant darkness, Devil worshipers, Death Metal, Vikings, ridiculously high taxes , Shroomed off their tits Reindeers and every lame ass matt cooper/joe duffy contributor saying "Oh, we should look at the Scandanavian way of doing things".
    NO!!!
    Fúck Scandanavia

Ireland is fúcking lovely.:)

I missed that! :( and what's wrong with reindeers?! apart from being rather ugly mo fo's up close :D

Subzero temps. don't last for 6 months unless you live in the far north of Sweden/Norway or Finland and the weather is not too bad as long as you wrap up well. You get used to it after a while.

Devil worshipers...meh, so they like to burn down few churches now and then, big deal :pac:

Vikings...yes, tall handsome Vikings :cool:

Darkness...where I was- in Gothenburg there was only an hour less daylight in winter than here in winter.
    Makes summer all the nicer when it arrives too.

And high taxes pay for the cradle to grave welfare states that ensures that everyone has a decent standard of living.
    They see it as the price that must be paid for high standard public and social services and don't complain (usually) about paying them.
    Life is much easier for the everyday Joe there than here because of it. Go there and see for yourself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

anyone still in ireland out of their own choice is either very naive or has never left the country imo

• Advertisement

f**k scandanavia :D

some of the most down to earth,intelligent honest people i have ever met in my life.theres a reason why most of them are atheist

Yep! couldn't agree more. I met some wonderful people from there too.
    They see religion as something that is a part of childhood but when we cease to be children we should put away the things of childhood and grow out of it.
    Around 75/85% of Swedes are atheist.

They made me think a lot about how I felt about religion. I left here a lapsed Catholic/agnostic and came back an atheist. My mother was not pleased :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Helix wrote: »
    anyone still in ireland out of their own choice is either very naive or has never left the country imo

What if you have a good job and like living here surrounded by your family and friends.

Greentopia wrote: »
    Just getting up to some pedantic antics here, but most Swedes don't see themselves as athiest, despite not believing in God, and identify themselves as being part of the Church of Sweden. Church of Sweden comprises of 71ish% of the population.

Much like Ireland, actually

Maybe their politicians are just better at concealing it, and they're actually far worse than our cowboys

They're not. They are less corrupt. I lived there for years and saw how the political system works.
    All international indicators and studies show that they consistently come tops in the least corrupt countries on earth. I think Finland holds the title at the moment, or did last year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Greentopia wrote: »
    Yep! couldn't agree more. I met some wonderful people from there too.
    They see religion as something that is a part of childhood but when we cease to be children we should put away the things of childhood and grow out of it.

They made me think a lot about how I felt about religion. I left here a lapsed Catholic/agnostic and came back an atheist. My mother was not pleased :D

Your the definition of a sheep.

Thank god you never met any scientologists.

Just getting up to some pedantic antics here, but most Swedes don't see themselves as athiest, despite not believing in God, and identify themselves as being part of the Church of Sweden. Church of Sweden comprises of 71ish% of the population.

yeah but how many irish people actually believe in that even though they class themselves as catholic. figures for this are very miscontrued due to the census here

Yes, true and I take your point, but if they were asked about their belief in a god my figures would stand.
    I knew lots of friends there who left the church though as they resented paying tithes to it so that figure may drop in future as it is in neighbouring Finland.

Your the definition of a sheep.

Thank god you never met any scientologists.

Lol, how do you make that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

kfallon wrote: »
    Yes - we have a great little country, wouldn't swap it for anything :)

Anything except €2,000,000 and a Lamborghini. I'd be happy with that.

Oh, and a choc Ice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

What if you have a good job and like living here surrounded by your family and friends.

then i'd still think you're crazy and holding your life back something fierce

Advertisement