Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed camera van in pitch dark on the hard shoulder

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

if I had a blow out and had to use the hard shoulder and went into the back of him trying to steer the car to safety...

What is it and people "ifs"

if this, if that, if the other.

You can't live on ifs.

Think of your "if"

a blow out at that exact spot, you not being able to control that blow out and instead of hurtling into the central median and flipping the car or similar you hit the garda camera van.

Paddypower will offer you 1000/1 on that scenario.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal for him to be stopped on the hard shoulder of a motorway. The Go Safe vans aren't immune to the ROTR.

Even the guards have special laybys to park on rather than stop on the hard shoulder.
    Jem72 wrote: »
    Interestingly, the old camera list has no locations listed for "Motorway" in County Meath. My understanding of the way in which the contract operates is that GoSafe are paid to provide a fixed number of hours of monitoring in the approved locations. They are definitely not paid anything at all extra for catching people.

So perhaps the van had actually broken down or it wasn't a speed camera van at all.

not sure if its changed, but certainly a while ago, only garda operated camera vans could operate on motorways.

The vans operated by Go Safe must only operated within the defined zones listed on the garda website and exclude motorway zones.

The garda camera vans operated by members of the gardai can operate anywhere.

I'm fairly sure this is still the policy, but am open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭Damien360

Jem72 wrote: »
    Interestingly, the old camera list has no locations listed for "Motorway" in County Meath. My understanding of the way in which the contract operates is that GoSafe are paid to provide a fixed number of hours of monitoring in the approved locations. They are definitely not paid anything at all extra for catching people.

So perhaps the van had actually broken down or it wasn't a speed camera van at all.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Roads-Policing/Safety-Cameras/1031-active-safety-camera-locations.pdf

For the love of God. I know the spot as I regularly had to pass the speed van. It is just before Damastown exit on the bend. It's a 120 zone. And it's on the hard shoulder. The driver has the good sense to get themselves over to the left as much as possible. Just past the exit is a 100 zone which incremently drops to a 50/60 zone as you approach the N3 junction with the M50. Couple of kilometers all in all but an extremely busy section of roadway with a lot of traffic joining.

The people the van is catching are those coming down the M3 obviously but also those that join just around that very spot from the old N3 onto the motorway for a small stretch. The volume joining from the old N3 going inbound to Dublin is very high and they are joining an already fast and a normally relatively empty section of motorway.

Sometimes that van is a little further down on the next bend after Damastown in the 100 zone. Been a while since I saw them to that. The very odd time they are on the old N3 from that junction down to clonee that runs parallel to the motorway. There is a small garage close to a bus stop that they used to stop near.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

just to blow everything out of the water :P:P on the Ennis to galway motorway.always there503072.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Xwebstar2

Is the operator in the van parked on the hard shoulder?

If he is he's an idiot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

GM228 wrote: »
    Legally they are allowed.

You sure?

They have installed spot for the vans to park, the Garda cars park on exits etc.

They never park in the hard shoulder and they never should, yes I have seen on N road but no my motorways

just to blow everything out of the water :P:P on the Ennis to galway motorway.always there503072.jpg

That’s not in hard shoulder, that’s off the road

Xwebstar2 wrote: »
    Is the operator in the van parked on the hard shoulder?

If he is he's an idiot

No person would just park on hard shoulder of motorway unless they have to, even the odd time I have to stop it’s very scary, people seem to think moving over into other lane is impossible so they will fly past at 120kmph a few ft from the car...same person will be hogging the outside lane later on

Be a grand job, though. Bring a pillow and get a bit of sleep.

Would definitely apply to be a Speed Van operative if my current job went away. I'd love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

silver2020 wrote: »
    What is it and people "ifs"

if this, if that, if the other.

You can't live on ifs.

Think of your "if"

a blow out at that exact spot, you not being able to control that blow out and instead of hurtling into the central median and flipping the car or similar you hit the garda camera van.

Paddypower will offer you 1000/1 on that scenario.

I'm thinking of the risk assessment that may put a life in jeopardy... paddy power and yourself may see it as a sure thing. But if, and yes I say if i was in the van and asked to sit there, I would be saying, jog on

Get in the van with your face to the camera and watch cars whizz by at 120 and tell me you fell safe

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    For the love of God. I know the spot as I regularly had to pass the speed van. It is just before Damastown exit on the bend. It's a 120 zone. And it's on the hard shoulder. The driver has the good sense to get themselves over to the left as much as possible. Just past the exit is a 100 zone which incremently drops to a 50/60 zone as you approach the N3 junction with the M50. Couple of kilometers all in all but an extremely busy section of roadway with a lot of traffic joining.

The people the van is catching are those coming down the M3 obviously but also those that join just around that very spot from the old N3 onto the motorway for a small stretch. The volume joining from the old N3 going inbound to Dublin is very high and they are joining an already fast and a normally relatively empty section of motorway.

Sometimes that van is a little further down on the next bend after Damastown in the 100 zone. Been a while since I saw them to that. The very odd time they are on the old N3 from that junction down to clonee that runs parallel to the motorway. There is a small garage close to a bus stop that they used to stop near.

They were there on Friday around noon, just before the exit for the m3 services/Mulhuddart exit.
    Don't have a problem with them being there, but their being on the hard shoulder before the clonee/damastown exit is going to cause an accident at some point, especially in the type of weather conditions the op mentioned.

Would definitely apply to be a Speed Van operative if my current job went away. I'd love it.

Wasn’t one of them set on fire in middle of night once....with a lad in it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Wasn’t one of them set on fire in middle of night once....with a lad in it
    There are a few stories like that from a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Knew a lad that use to be at it....

He would sleep for the few hours parked up....

is_that_so wrote: »
    There are a few stories like that from a decade ago.

Showing my age, thought it was more recent but all early 2010/11

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Remember in the UK a guy was going around cutting down speed cameras....

Always wanted to shake his hand...

Get in the van with your face to the camera and watch cars whizz by at 120 and tell me you fell safe
    That's not how they work.

Person in gatso van literally sits and monitors that the equipment is working. Entire file is sent to Thurles and a garda reviews all vehicles over a set speed and issues the notices.

I would suspect that the van on the M3 was either broken down or was actually set in off the hard shoulder like in the pics above

Remember in the UK a guy was going around cutting down speed cameras....

Always wanted to shake his hand...

Why?

I don’t understand the problem with speed cameras...

If people where not asshats on the road then they would serve no purpose and nobody would bother investing in them. Based on the cost of these devices it seems a huge majority of people are incapable of using the road with any sense....

I have zero penalty points and never had penalty points and I work on the road so travel all over Ireland and Northern Ireland weekly......

I would hate to see the clowns on the road without speed cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

On a motorway?

If it's on a section off of the hard shoulder I'd get that but if that's actually in law that a civilian speed camera can park in a completely moronic and dangerous place then I actually have no words....

I don't doubt you GM as know your up on all that but was legislation changed for that specific reason?
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You sure?

They have installed spot for the vans to park, the Garda cars park on exits etc.

They never park in the hard shoulder and they never should, yes I have seen on N road but no my motorways

Yes, the law changed in 2016 to specifically xempt them from any stopping and parking prohibitions (that includes restrictions on motorways), but it's qualified to when carrying out their functions as authorised by AGS, whilst parking in and of itself on a motorway is not illegal for them in such a case, that does not mean it's not stupid or dangerous for them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Maybe laws go out the window with profit margins... good spot for profit = bend on the motor way on a hard shoulder.

Just looking at the N3 at the start of rush hour reminds me of the round about for the Arc of triumph. The amount of cars that are using hard shoulders or going into the entry lanes to get a bump up in the traffic is nuts.

To be fair thats partially down to the idiot council reducing a 4 lane road at one end to a single lane at the other because the bus lane was originally a hard shoulder and the other end 2 lanes up to the roundabout. Its a deliberate bottleneck because they couldnt be bothered to widen the road up to the roundabout to acommodate the bus lane instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement