Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chippers/Takeaways in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

for a kebab. best's
    burger and chips. surf n turf
    pizza. bistro
    curry chip.happy eater
    for chicken and chips.kfc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

for a kebab. best's
    burger and chips. surf n turf
    pizza. bistro
    curry chip.happy eater
    for chicken and chips.kfc
    it that you've never being to robertos

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 541 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Monster burger in Surf n Turf

That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Surf and Turf Burger in Surf and Turf. Fillet steak,rocket,prawns and spicy mayo in a bap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭locomo

Pity there is no McDonalds or Burgerking in Sligo.
    It would be handy when out on the tear around town with the rest of the class from college. Sligo must be the only town / city with a big third level institution, and yet we cannot nibble something consistent from a MickeyD eurosaver menu when in town. Me not walking a couple of miles to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

locomo wrote: »
    Pity there is no McDonalds or Burgerking in Sligo.
    It would be handy when out on the tear around town with the rest of the class from college. Sligo must be the only town / city with a big third level institution, and yet we cannot nibble something consistent from a MickeyD eurosaver menu when in town. Me not walking a couple of miles to it.

Plenty of places in town that have better food than McDonalds. I would like to see burger king back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dunlaffin

There is no competition , its Roberto's on Market Street, If you say different , you are wrong. Trust me on this one, I know what I'm talking about. If you wanna get a Kebab however, it's the Sligo Kebab House on Castle Street, but you must eat it in house as it is so big that it cannot be eaten any other way than off the plate. These are the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Tried that Charcoal something place the other day. Its where Mr Tastys was on the enterance to Wine Street car Park. Not a bad place, probably the cheapest of all the kebab takeaways in the town. Only problem kebabs are served open in a tray, compared to wraped in the Kebab House, Zam Zams (still the best) and robertos, so tend not to be as hot by the time you get home.
    Plenty of places in town that have better food than McDonalds. I would like to see burger king back though.

I miss McDonalds. Have to wait till I get home now if I want to go to the toilet.

You cant blame the chipper for your food not being hot when you get it home:p

The Southern Fried Chiken in Roberto's is the only Southern Fried Chicken in Sligo worth eating. It's perfect. Borza's is pretty good across the board, but falls flat on his face for his Southern Fried Chicken. A junior Box in Robertos for 3.80 is yer only man.

Dunlaffin wrote: »

The Southern Fried Chiken in Roberto's is the only Southern Fried Chicken in Sligo worth eating. It's perfect. Borza's is pretty good across the board, but falls flat on his face for his Southern Fried Chicken. A junior Box in Robertos for 3.80 is yer only man.

True, but when its wrapped tightly like the three other places i mentioned it does stay warmer, and together.

:o

And I still have not tried borzas.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

Roberto's is something else alright. Massive size portions they give you. The chicken is very nice but they put too much lemon juice in it, you can really taste it. Aside from that it's the best chipper place in Sligo :)

I would like to see burger king back though.

Was it in Sligo ? Not too many places in the western world you see a McD or a Burgerking closing, I would have thought.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Was it in Sligo ? Not too many places in the western world you see a McD or a Burgerking closing, I would have thought.

Yeah there was a burger king on O'Connell street were easons is now. McDonalds used to be further down the street were Permanent TSB is now.

My theory is that they used to make the stuff in Mac Donalds out of the leftovers in Burger King. So when BK left it was inevitable that McDs had to go.

McDonalds is the biggest restaurant chain in the world. Also I remember reading they are the biggest owners of real estate in the world. So they cannot be all that bad / someone must eat in them. I am not connected to them, I just enjoy their grub now and again. Also their eurosaver burger @ one euro must be the cheapest burger around....grand as a hot snack for us students. Pity they are not still in Sligo / they would be handy to line the belly in between the pubs and at least the food is consistent there.

Pity they are not still in Sligo / they would be handy to line the belly in between the pubs and at least the food is consistent there.

As a taxi driver in Sligo I am well acquainted with the nocturnal adventures of Sligo's students. I would make a crazy suggestion that you drink one less "cocktail" and head to Roberto's to enjoy the Mon-Thurs Special Offers which are unbeatable. Oh yeah try to save more than two quid for the taxi home as well :D

i like everything in roberto's except the southern fried chicken
    it always way over cooked and soggy
    KFC is the only chicken worth eating in sligo
    what is pizza hut like i hear they are doin an all you can eat for 7 euro?

i like everything in roberto's except the southern fried chicken
    it always way over cooked and soggy
    KFC is the only chicken worth eating in sligo
    what is pizza hut like i hear they are doin an all you can eat for 7 euro?

I like the pizza hut buffet,serious feed.Unlimited refills for 3 bean aswell on drinks.

greetings wrote: »
    I like the pizza hut buffet,serious feed.Unlimited refills for 3 bean aswell on drinks.
    sweet might give it a try on friday so then

• Advertisement

I used to rule at the pizza hut buffet when i had an unlimited metabolism. I'm just disapointed that they dont deliver, their pizza beat dominos, four star, and sorry greetings, robertos all but together.

irish-stew wrote: »
    I used to rule at the pizza hut buffet when i had an unlimited metabolism. I'm just disapointed that they dont deliver, their pizza beat dominos, four star, and sorry greetings, robertos all but together.

Got a nice any pizza any size for ten quid delivered last week in Galway,was serious.
    The pizza at the buffet isn't as nice as one you actually order on the menu.
    And they're not as good as Gusto's,they even beat Roberto's.

Mate of mine ate 33 slices one day. My record is about 20.

Mate of mine ate 33 slices one day. My record is about 20.

:eek:

cant quite remember what my record was, something like 17 or 18 slices, 6 or so peices of garlic bread, a salad bowl and 2 bowls from the ice cream factory

pizza hut in england used to include garlic bread, salad, and for an extra quid or two ice cream in their buffets.

Oh Christ,there is a heaven. I quite like the pasta. I used to get the ice cream until they stopped putting chocolate buttons in it.

i went up to pizza hut today for the all you can eat buffet.
    it is good value all you cant eat and drink for 9.98
    food is decent enough, i dont think the pizza are as nice as bistro,dominos,robertos,but much better than 4 star.happy enough i will return

• Advertisement

The pizza is far better if you're actually ordering one off the menu than during the buffet. But I like it anyway,and for that price you can't complain too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I ate once in Pizza Hut. I thought the food was absolute muck.

I ate once in Pizza Hut. I thought the food was absolute muck.

+1. I ate once in it too. It was alsolute muck, you are right. The chef(s) must keep all the toppings ( chicken , ham etc ) and eat them themselves, because there was only a few odd crumbs of them on the various pizzas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I like Pizza Hut. The only problem I have with the buffet is that often you are kept waiting for the pizza because it isn't ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I've had pizza in Pizza Hut. With Magnumlady. Beat that n00bs. :cool:

Btw OFF TOPIC!! Pizza discussions have no place in a Best Chipper thread.

• Advertisement

Come to the beers in a couple of weeks, and you can have a beer with me, irish-stew. You as well Magnumlady.

;)

I'll let it slide, its all takeaway food.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I'm not a pub person, but if I can make the beers I will.

I've just slapped myself for going off topic.:p

Come to the beers in a couple of weeks, and you can have a beer with me, irish-stew.

I would do but I'll be too busy trolling the Sligo forum.

magnumlady wrote: »
    I'm not a pub person, but if I can make the beers I will.

I've just slapped myself for going off topic.:p
    I would do but I'll be too busy trolling the Sligo forum.

Lawl rofling lmaoing.

Lawl rofling lmaoing.

*performs Heimlich manouvre manovere manoover*

*thumps greetings*

*performs Heimlich manouvre manovere manoover*

*thumps greetings*

*Falls to the ground in tears*

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

does anyone else think Molly's chips have changed since they moved from the old place? like its a different oil in the fryers (or maybe just new fryers)

Still like Molly's anyway but borzas is better, battered mars bar is hands down the best once every six months reminder of how healthy you really are over the rest of the year!!
    And the shop they run in Ardee is also just as good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

wolf99 wrote: »
    does anyone else think Molly's chips have changed since they moved from the old place? like its a different oil in the fryers (or maybe just new fryers)

Still like Molly's anyway but borzas is better, battered mars bar is hands down the best once every six months reminder of how healthy you really are over the rest of the year!!
    And the shop they run in Ardee is also just as good :)

I haven't been to Molly's in years and we went to them for years. Too greasy and not the same generally.

I haven't been to Molly's in years and we went to them for years. Too greasy and not the same generally.

I still like Molly's,they do a good chicken fillet burger.

I still like Molly's,they do a good chicken fillet burger.

I'm vegetarian so I couldn't comment, only on their chips, which aren't as nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fuzzdog

Hi everyone, I just discovered this interesting forum. I see a wide variety of critisicms on the fast food outlets....most are good while some are not so good. Well it is an individual choice really...I love chips and I have to say that Molly's are not quite the same since the new place opened but having said that I still love them:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

felafel kebab from the place beside where chartbusters was in tesco carpark. hommanahommana. Add in their curly fries and its a good night in :)

felafel kebab from the place beside where chartbusters was in tesco carpark. hommanahommana. Add in their curly fries and its a good night in :)

Was in town tonight and remembered your post, so went to Surf and Turf around the corner (lost as usual :rolleyes:). Wanted vegetarian so looked in vain for falafel but no sign, so got a veggie burger with everything, chips and coke for €5. Gorgeous, lovely fresh salad, and more than half of it left in front of me, it was HUGE.

Was in town tonight and remembered your post, so went to Surf and Turf around the corner (lost as usual :rolleyes:). Wanted vegetarian so looked in vain for falafel but no sign, so got a veggie burger with everything, chips and coke for €5. Gorgeous, lovely fresh salad, and more than half of it left in front of me, it was HUGE.

Surf and Turf is the best chipper in the town.

Wow I noticed this place before I left, looking forward to calling in a few times over the Xmas when I get home! Thanks for the tip! Falafel!!

Just had a happy eater, first time in ages.

Nyom Nyom.

Ps, Have surf n' turf closed. They were my first choice but shutters were down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 541 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Same as that

Went to surf and Turf today for the first time in ages and it was all closed up - I had to come home and cook instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

The lads in the house went into Sligo Kebab House during the week, said it's the best kebab in sligo.

Big fan of Robertos meself, can't beat the chips and battered sausage for 3 euro during the week.

KFC gone a bit to **** IMO.

I heard that Surf and Turf were closing,what a pity,best chipper in the town.

Best kebab is probably Roberto's,but for size Sligo Kebab House but it isn't half as nice,or as good as Zam Zam's.

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I heard that Surf and Turf were closing,what a pity,best chipper in the town.

Best kebab is probably Roberto's,but for size Sligo Kebab House but it isn't half as nice,or as good as Zam Zam's.

Have not been in zams zams in ages. Sligo Kebab house for me now. They really are the size of a small child.

Advertisement