Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think the club need to revert to the system of Wenger decides that x player is the one he wants. He then walks away and a "David Dein" type personality negotiates the deal.

If Wenger does sign a new deal I hope the board have the testicular fortitude to split out the negotiation role from his job as this has been an obvious major weakness over the last few years that seems to have even caused friction at board level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Soups123 wrote: »
    Look at Arsene, Guardiola, Rogers, Low, Mourinho (Porto) I could name loads more of managers who clubs appointed without having been the obvious choice at the times they were appointed

In the same manner you will have your Moyes, AVB, Sherwoods etc. were it doesnt work

The boards are paid fortunes to get this part right, we as fans will always just throw out the successful names, or the flavours of the year

You see, I don't think it's that easy to name more.

Also to be pedantic, Low and Rodgers haven't win anything.

I just don't at all agree with the notion that there are plenty of these guys out there.

Who were the 3/4 signed last year for example?

What the club needs now is stability. A new manager might do better but I don't want to risk it. With a few new players this squad will be challenging next season.

I think people have been spoilt with Wenger for so long and don't remember the mess before he joined.

94/95 was a mess when we finished 12th (and perhaps fortunate not to finish lower too) but i wouldnt consider the season after a shambles. For me, after 1995, the only way was up unlike perhaps the expectations on Moyes when he took over United.

I think Rioch done a decent job in firefighting and stabilising us before Wenger could come in. We beat Man United (1-0 at Highbury) and Newcastle (twice) during that season and were unlucky perhaps not to make the League cup final when we threw away a 2-0 lead at Highbury against Villa in the first leg (Coca Cola cup as it was then)

In hindsight, Id probably think of Rioch more as a Rafa Benitez at Chelsea type (without the winning of a trophy) but If truth be known Rioch was never going to bring us to dizzy heights and he would be the first to admit he fell well short by contrast to the job Wenger done with the team (He stated this in Bergkamps book). Bergkamp himself stated he had great time for Rioch. When the iceman says he likes someone then thats good enough for me :D

Rioch also admitted in the book that there was some troubled men at the club hinting at almost a depression epidemic and a drinking culture that had got out of control. Like Moyes he probably wasn't big enough to take the club forward but to be fair to him he made some progress with a team having lost George Graham, lost the cup winnners cup final and had suffered the season from hell the year before.

I personally thought David Platt was a bit of a flop for us given all the hype he came with. Scored one or two important goals but personally was never a big fan of either the player or the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

gosplan wrote: »

Off topic..

But i really don't rate Low at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Off topic..

But i really don't rate Low at all!

same here but I don't know what he's done beyond his International stint with Germany.

I wouldn't be taking a punt on him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Soups123

gosplan wrote: »
    You see, I don't think it's that easy to name more.

I just don't at all agree with the notion that there are plenty of these guys out there.

Who were the 3/4 signed last year for example?

Pedantic is fine, but to be pedantic I never said anything about winning. Just saying that the combination isnt always as easy as who is the best known manager, gems are out there and what works for one may not work for the other its about knowing yourself and finding the right man to bring it on.

I havent attempted to nominate candidates as to be honest I dont scout managers or know enough about any to suggest there suitability for Arsenal.

But as I said I fear stagnation more than I fear change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Soups123 wrote: »
    But as I said I fear stagnation more than I fear change

hear hear

wawaman wrote: »

Today is St. Georges Day !

When George utilised tactics similar to Maureen, although on a small budget, we were called Boring. But Maureen is considered 'a tactical genius' despite been heavily financially backed by Abramovich

The hypocrisy of the media eh! I guess George should have been more of a petty smart arse in his comments in the press conferences. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In fairness who had even heard of AW before he arrived? very few here I'd say. Also wasn't part of Cygan coming into the club that he would identify potential replacements for AW so obviously/hopefully they are already looking for his potential replacement whenever that is.

salmocab wrote: »
    In fairness who had even heard of AW before he arrived? very few here I'd say. Also wasn't part of Cygan coming into the club that he would identify potential replacements for AW so obviously/hopefully they are already looking for his potential replacement whenever that is.

dude.

the cygan thing was an april fools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bad2dabone wrote: »
    dude.

the cygan thing was an april fools.
    Ah ****e was typing that and started thinking that but like an eejit kept on ploughing on. Just remembered reading something about it in the back of my head, everyone carry on without me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heh, I swallowed that hook, line and sinker at the time too. :D

See the guardian is reporting that united have all but signed luke shaw for 30million on a 100k a week deal.

He’s 18.

I know he’s a good player, but 100k a week at 18. United are desperate for players to stay, rooney on 300k a week.
    That’s 20.8 million a season in wages for Shaw and Rooney. Oh my god. The emirates loan only costs arsenal 15m a season now.

Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I don't get how they can justify those wages. Long term that's surely going to hurt them.

That means that over a 4 year deal Shaw would cost them £50 million. For a relatively unproven full back.

To compare, Ozil I believe cost us £42.5m plus £7 million a season, so about £70 million over 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I don't get how they can justify those wages. Long term that's surely going to hurt them.

That means that over a 4 year deal Shaw would cost them £50 million. For a relatively unproven full back.

To compare, Ozil I believe cost us £42.5m plus £7 million a season, so about £70 million over 4 years.

Shaw's deal is apparently 5 years, so even more money again. I don't know how much water those rumours hold though.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    See the guardian is reporting that united have all but signed luke shaw for 30million on a 100k a week deal.

He’s 18.

I know he’s a good player, but 100k a week at 18. United are desperate for players to stay, rooney on 300k a week.
    That’s 20.8 million a season in wages for Shaw and Rooney. Oh my god. The emirates loan only costs arsenal 15m a season now.

Madness.

Very funny the way Pep couldnt pour water on the rumours of managing Manure fast enough in yesterdays press conference. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Is Ozil not on £180k/wk over 5 years? = £9m :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

cson wrote: »

Ozil is a proven world class player whereas Shaw is all potential, big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Still no mention of de boer

For me he is the man to lead us into our next phase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Dont keep up to date with Dutch football so whats his cv like? Didnt Steve McClaren win a Dutch league a few years ago so I wouldnt be too keen on taking a risk on anybody who has been successful in that league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Go for Mourinho and get The Bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Would anyone welcome the idea of Wenger signing a 2 year deal then after that, getting Martinez from Everton?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    Would anyone welcome the idea of Wenger signing a 2 year deal then after that, getting Martinez from Everton?

Depends on how Everton are doing in 2 years I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

fulmer1984 wrote: »

Waaaay too soon to tell. Martinez is currently only a flavour of the month (ok season) type manager. It's not long ago that people were touting Owen Coyle as Wenger's replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Waaaay too soon to tell. Martinez is currently only a flavour of the month (ok season) type manager. It's not long ago that people were touting Owen Coyle as Wenger's replacement.

Does his time with Wigan not count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Been relegated???

Benzema would be lovely. Any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

If there is, then it's likely to involve Suarez, so it would be a win win for us in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I say Wenger would love to have a team which plays like Bayern.

I think Real are much more exciting to look at tbh. Such fluid counter attacking football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Depends on how Everton are doing in 2 years I suppose.

and/or how we are doing in 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

cson wrote: »

I thought he was on 140k myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Yeh barely surviving 1 season and getting releagted the next

Been relegated???
    Yeh barely surviving 1 season and getting releagted the next

Huh? He took over in 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Huh? He took over in 2009.

16th 16th 15th 18th. Hardly great.

16th 16th 15th 18th. Hardly great.

I never said great. Certainly a lot better than lasting only 1 season though. I think his style is suited to better teams anyway.

Been relegated???

He won the cup tbf. Yes he got relegated and the ironic thing is perhaps the cup run contributed to it but overall i would say he done a terrific job. I like the style of football he plays and the fact he has the guts to walk into a club and change the way they play. Everton were robust and defensive up to this season.

In the same way Rodgers was worth a chance for Liverpool i would be open to going for a Martinez type. Yes OK perhaps Klopp or Simeone might be better choices and we are the Arsenal etc etc but sometimes it pays off to gamble. We gambled with Wenger, Atletico gambled with Simeone and Dortmund got Klopp from Mainz.

I'm not saying to go bald headed for Martinez but as an Arsenal fan i personally wouldn't be totally against the appointment of him. However i accept that there is probably better qualified candidates, i dont think he is the gamble others would consider him to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

gambled with wenger?

LOL wenger pre arsenal done a crap load more then martinez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

All this talk as if Wenger is gone already until he resigns I won't hear of any new managers. My worry is will he spend in the summer that's the biggest worry.

gambled with wenger?

LOL wenger pre arsenal done a crap load more then martinez

At the time though it was perceived as a gamble because foreigners were hit and miss in the English league. You would get a good price on a foreign manager who was unfamiliar with the English game on being a success. Yes he won with Monaco but England was England as far as everyone was concerned and it would prove too tough a nut to crack regardless of the cv.

No one had heard of him. He was with in football wilderness out with a Japanese team by stark contrast to a man of his knowledge and talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I either want someone established or I want Wenger to stay. I don't want someone up and coming who will take three years to make their stamp. I want us to push on from where we are, not have to wait while we find out if a young manager has what it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Looper007 wrote: »
    All this talk as if Wenger is gone already until he resigns I won't hear of any new managers. My worry is will he spend in the summer that's the biggest worry.

My hope is he will spend in the summer, that's my biggest hope :)

My fear and my biggest worry is that he won't!

Edit; I misread your post; thought you said "he will" instead of "will he", sorry!

Quazzie wrote: »
    I either want someone established or I want Wenger to stay. I don't want someone up and coming who will take three years to make their stamp. I want us to push on from where we are, not have to wait while we find out if a young manager has what it takes.

Well theres the thing, i actually think Martinez would be more than capable of making an immediate impact with us as would Klopp. Simeone has done well but this jury is still out on him for now tbh. In terms of being the perfect fit either Klopp or Martinez would compliment the style of football we play the finest.

Quazzie wrote: »

Which established managers would you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I can't believe people actually want Martinez a the next Arsenal manager, you know we are bigger then that guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

I (and many others) wouldn't have considered Brendan Rodgers established in 2012, sometimes you just have to take a chance, did Liverpool no harm! I'd be shocked if AW isn't in charge for 2014-15 however.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I can't believe people actually want Martinez a the next Arsenal manager, you know we are bigger then that guys.

Im not calling for his appointment but we could do a hell of alot worse too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10783605/Arsenal-eye-move-for-Southamptons-Calum-Chambers-with-continuing-doubts-over-future-of-Bacary-Sagna.html
    Calum Chambers, the Southampton right-back, is among Arsenal’s list of summer transfer targets as Arsène Wenger accelerates his plans ahead of the possible departure of Bacary Sagna.
    Although Arsenal are now ready to stretch to a new three-year deal for Sagna, who will be out of contract in June, the 31-year-old has made no decision on his future amid competing interest from Manchester City, Galatasaray and Paris St-Germain.
    Arsenal scouts were already monitoring Chambers but have intensified their interest over recent weeks in a player who would further enhance the core of young British players in the squad.
    At only 19, Chambers has graduated through the Southampton academy with left-back Luke Shaw, who is increasingly likely to be sold this summer to Manchester United or Chelsea for around £30 million.
    Chambers is less experienced than Shaw but this has been his breakthrough season in senior football and he has played in 21 Premier League games for Southampton while also captaining the England Under-19 team.
    n an interview last week with the Telegraph, Chambers described Southampton as “the perfect place to be” and there is an argument that he would still benefit from another season of regular Premier League football at St Mary’s. Chambers also agreed a new contract last summer that commits him to the club until 2017.
    Southampton’s financial position, however, does need realigning after their spending over the past three years. Their most recent accounts, published last month, showed that they still owed £27 million in transfer fees as well as £30 million for the new training ground.
    Arsenal could potentially also offer immediate first-team football, although Sagna could yet stay and Carl Jenkinson will be hoping to compete for the right-back role. Jenkinson, though, is more likely to go out on loan for a season and Wenger has repeatedly proved that he would have no compunction about regularly starting a teenager if he believes that they are ready.
    As well as right-back, Wenger’s focus this summer is central midfield and at least one, and possibly two, additional strikers. A renewed bid for Lars Bender, the Bayer Leverkusen holding midfielder, can be expected after a £20  million offer was rejected last summer.
    Hamburg midfielder Hakan Calhanoglu is another player who Arsenal are now monitoring, with Álvaro Morata, Josep Drmic, Mario Mandzukic, Julian Draxler and Karim Benzema all on the longlist of striker targets.
    Wenger’s summer planning is a further sign that he does still plan to extend his own contract, although his mood will clearly be shaped by whether he can now lead the club to what would be a fifth FA Cup and an 18th consecutive top-four finish.

I have to say if we lose Sagna to City and replace him with Calum Chambers I will be fairly annoyed. Hes a good prospect alright but not good enough to go straight into the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Ozil posted this on facebook.
    Dear fans,
    I'm still happy about the fact that I was able to play last sunday for Arsenal. and we even won 3:0. I think that we are on the way up after a rather difficult time...
    there are only two goals for the rest of the season: to be among the first four of the Premier League and to win my first title this year in the UK - the F.A. Cup! all we need is 4 x 90 minutes of full concentration and then it's all in our hands.
    I can't wait to play for the first time in Wembley as a Gunner after missing the semi final due to my injury.
    herewith I want to thank all who supported me during the last weeks - especially you! I constantly followed your comments on Facebook. I was really happy about all the get well soon wishes during these difficult moments.
    Your Mesut

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Ozil posted this on facebook.

Legend!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

"Your Mesut."

I like that sign off, our Mesut. My Mesut. My Precious. Muhwaaaa I own a 42 million pound footballer, I am its master!

I'm going to bed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement