Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chippers/Takeaways in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

The only problem I've had with Roberto's recently was overdone chips that just tasted burnt. I'd say it all to do with the new staff they have, other than that they're the chips in town I'll have. Happy Eater and 4 lights are both terrible.

The trick is to buy a bottle of Chip-shop vinegar from The Food Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Botulism wrote: »
    The only problem I've had with Roberto's recently was overdone chips that just tasted burnt. I'd say it all to do with the new staff they have, other than that they're the chips in town I'll have. Happy Eater and 4 lights are both terrible.

The trick is to buy a bottle of Chip-shop vinegar from The Food Centre.

Do you order Home Made, or just chips when you go to the happy eater?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Do you order Home Made, or just chips when you go to the happy eater?

I don't really go to happy eater, my roommate last year was crazy for them though. I'd occasionally buy chips, but whenever I had money to buy chips, I would try to get robertos

Botulism wrote: »
    I don't really go to happy eater, my roommate last year was crazy for them though. I'd occasionally buy chips, but whenever I had money to buy chips, I would try to get robertos

Next time your in, ask for the home made ones, slightly more expensive, but a lot lot nicer. Even better with curry sauce.

Hmmmmm, think I'll head tonight now.

Not sure if I'm getting more health conscious, but really fancied a takeway last night, and really didn't know what I wanted, and even if I did really want one.

Ali's opening up soon on the Mail Coach Road, a bit out of the way for the post beverage soakage, but might be worth a try, and a new candidate for the best kebab in town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Every time I read this thread I want to get a 4 lights! The only show in town!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Does anybody know where the Chicken Hut is on high street? When you look for it on google maps you end up at zam zams, are they the same place?

zombiepaw wrote: »
    Does anybody know where the Chicken Hut is on high street? When you look for it on google maps you end up at zam zams, are they the same place?

Was the Chicken Hut not on Mail Coach Road, where Borza's was, and now where Ali's is going in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Was the Chicken Hut not on Mail Coach Road, where Borza's was, and now where Ali's is going in?

No, that was the Portuguese Chicken Grill and has been gone for some time. The chicken hut just popped up on Just-Eat in the last couple of months. It says 30/31 high street as the address. But I have never seen a chicken hut on high street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

zombiepaw wrote: »
    No, that was the Portuguese Chicken Grill and has been gone for some time. The chicken hut just popped up on Just-Eat in the last couple of months. It says 30/31 high street as the address. But I have never seen a chicken hut on high street.

Was wondering the exact same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hate this thread, I always seem to stumble into it when I'm starving.:(

Anyone eaten in Ali's yet. Fancy something different tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

Not sure if it's being mentioned here before but have gotten take away pizza a few times from the relatively new Italian beside pepper alley "Rugganto's" they are yummie and so much cheaper than the bistro rip off's which are usually around 18e where Rugganto's are about 10/11e.

Had sit in meal there too it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Rugantino?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree. Rugantinos is excellent. At last somewhere to break the monopoly of what us laughably called The Italian Quarter if Tobergal Lane!!

quote="blondie29;90212801"]Not sure if it's being mentioned here before but have gotten take away pizza a few times from the relatively new Italian beside pepper alley "Rugganto's" they are yummie and so much cheaper than the bistro rip off's which are usually around 18e where Rugganto's are about 10/11e.

Had sit in meal there too it was lovely.[/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

johnire wrote: »
    I agree. Rugantinos is excellent. At last somewhere to break the monopoly of what us laughably called The Italian Quarter if Tobergal Lane!!

quote="blondie29;90212801"]Not sure if it's being mentioned here before but have gotten take away pizza a few times from the relatively new Italian beside pepper alley "Rugganto's" they are yummie and so much cheaper than the bistro rip off's which are usually around 18e where Rugganto's are about 10/11e.

Had sit in meal there too it was lovely.
    [/QUOTE]

Genuine Italian fare, funnily enough not actually in the multicultural cuisine quarter marketed as the "Italian Quarter"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

anyone tried Ali's kebab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Dringe123

Would agree totally re. Rugatinos..great value for sit in & food is lovely. With the cheery Italian staff you'd think you're abroad! Will definitely get takeaways there in the future.

So I put my body, well my stomach on the line, for you, the good people, and foodies, of Sligo last week, and went to Ali's.

Went for the Donor Kebab Meal. I do like to see the spit my self when going for a kebab, so that I know weather or not they are slicing straight feom the spit, or weather they are getting kebab slices straight from the deep freeze as required, unfortunately from where I was standimg, and all their food prep and presetation equipment I could not confirm.

kebab its self was very nice, was presented open on a chunky peice of flat bread, so not soemthing you can grap and eat, a knife and fork is required. Was not swiming in sauce, with a generious amount of salad, and once a small amount left, I was able to wrap the flat bread around what was left, and eat without it falling apart.

Chips were of the chunky kind, nice and crispy, maybe alittle too salty for my liking, but they do give you the choice of salt and vinegar before wrapping.

Took a menu home with me, and noticed they also offer the kebabs as a wrap option, so maybe something like you would get in Zam Zams as well. They also offer you a choice of burgers, pizza, cod and chips, etc. Friendly staff, and good service.

most importantly, I did not wake up with the chilli taste in my mouth, unlike some other places, no mater how many times you wash your teeth afterwards, and not feeling blouted, heavy, and disgusting.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

So I put my body, well my stomach on the line, for you, the good people, and foodies, of Sligo last week, and went to Ali's.

Went for the Donor Kebab Meal. I do like to see the spit my self when going for a kebab, so that I know weather or not they are slicing straight feom the spit, or weather they are getting kebab slices straight from the deep freeze as required, unfortunately from where I was standimg, and all their food prep and presetation equipment I could not confirm.

kebab its self was very nice, was presented open on a chunky peice of flat bread, so not soemthing you can grap and eat, a knife and fork is required. Was not swiming in sauce, with a generious amount of salad, and once a small amount left, I was able to wrap the flat bread around what was left, and eat without it falling apart.

Chips were of the chunky kind, nice and crispy, maybe alittle too salty for my liking, but they do give you the choice of salt and vinegar before wrapping.

Took a menu home with me, and noticed they also offer the kebabs as a wrap option, so maybe something like you would get in Zam Zams as well. They also offer you a choice of burgers, pizza, cod and chips, etc. Friendly staff, and good service.

most importantly, I did not wake up with the chilli taste in my mouth, unlike some other places, no mater how many times you wash your teeth afterwards, and not feeling blouted, heavy, and disgusting.

:D
    was in over the weekend they were slicing straight from the spit. pizza was nice to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

devil-80 wrote: »
    anyone tried Ali's kebab?

Got a chicken kebab from Ali's this evening, very fresh ingredients, very tasty. Didn't bother with chips, kebab was enough, for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Had the Donor Kebab meal yesterday from Ali's.. was OK.

Kebab meat was moist, but moist to the point of being a tad soggy. Bread was lovely and plus points for the big ass chilli pepper on the top of it.

Chips weren't great either.. another 30 seconds in the fryer and they'd have been perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Has anyone ever eaten from Noodle House in Ballisodare? Got a leaflet through the door from them this evening, thought I'd give them a try. Facebook page is only a week old...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Has anyone ever eaten from Noodle House in Ballisodare? Got a leaflet through the door from them this evening, thought I'd give them a try. Facebook page is only a week old...
    Reports I heard are excellent. Havn't sampled myself though!

red sean wrote: »
    Reports I heard are excellent. Havn't sampled myself though!

And they're getting another great review from me! The other half was delighted to finally get a 'chinese' takeaway in one of those square boxes instead of the regular tinfoil tray ya get everywhere else in town!

Ya get loads in each box! Great flavour from them! Tastes as nice the next morning straight from the fridge, which is unusual from my experience with Asian takeaway food from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Gotten Noodle house a few times and always happy. Drive past another chinese to go there when we happen to get one. Portions are great too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Is there a menu for this Noodle House place online anywhere? Never heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Check the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NoodleHouseSligo wonder how much is delivery to Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Check Your link - should be https://www.facebook.com/NoodleHouseSligo

• Advertisement

I was wondering that myself as they don't mention it on the menu at all. I think they said it was 3 euro.

Also, they don't take laser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Is the Noodle House takeaway only?

What is the general consensus of StreetCart these days? I have enjoyed the food anytime I have gotten food from there, but feel that the menu is quiet limited. The first time I ate there I was told that they had plans to add to the menu but it seems to be much the same. It has potential though.

What is the general consensus of StreetCart these days? I have enjoyed the food anytime I have gotten food from there, but feel that the menu is quiet limited. The first time I ate there I was told that they had plans to add to the menu but it seems to be much the same. It has potential though.

I don't eat there since they were advertising for a job bridge to work behind the counter a few months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

I don't eat there since they were advertising for a job bridge to work behind the counter a few months back.

Same here, and I live right near it and ate there regularly. Glad to hear someone else feels the same. It seems to be busy enough and a lot of the ingredients are cheap stuff like rice and beans, they could afford to pay someone minimum wage. Shame cause I enjoyed going there, liked the food and the lads who were working there were sound. I let them know how I felt on fb, wonder if anyone took that position. 9 months to learn how to fold over a tortilla ffs.

I got a kebab from Zam Zam today as they used to be IMO the nicest in town. It was disgusting, drowned in sauce, barely cooked and hardly any meat for a large. Never going back up that bloody hill for anything off them.

I think Robertos, while still pretty cheap, has gone downhill and Best is overpriced and horrible. Molly's burger was rank the last time I went there but the curry cheese chips were good.

Man, I used to like the takeaways in town but I won't waste my money any more. Or maybe it's just that I drink less now and it's not as appealing fare when sober. I think today was the first time I had a kebab without pints beforehand.

I used to live near the Happy Eater and thought it was pretty tasty, until one day I was sitting in a chair waiting for my food and a mouse ran across my foot! Still, the chicken fillet burger with bacon and cheese was mighty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 541 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Tried noodle house the other day on the way home from work and it was delicious. Lovely and fresh tasting veg and noodles and a huge portion for €7. I had the Korean box which came in a garlic chilli sauce and my friend had the Tom Yum box. Both were class. Definitely be back to try more if the quality stays the same.

Popped into the Noodle House over the weekend. It is more of a takeaway with a few seats than a restaurant. That said the food was great, especially the Tom Yum noodles. Anyone likes Asian street food will enjoy this place. Prices seem reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Amataratsu

sligoface wrote: »

I think Robertos, while still pretty cheap, has gone downhill

Their portions are really small of late. Gonna lose a long time customer here if they keep that up.

Amataratsu wrote: »
    Their portions are really small of late. Gonna lose a long time customer here if they keep that up.

Don't eat there anymore, quality is inconsistent - chips undercooked, small portions. Going to the Happy Eater instead!

Happy Eater grub is great, but it is seriously overpriced and the staff are just downright rude.

Ah well, I might actually shed a few pounds, no loss! :pac:

• Advertisement

Amataratsu wrote: »
    Happy Eater grub is great, but it is seriously overpriced and the staff are just downright rude.

Ah well, I might actually shed a few pounds, no loss! :pac:

Yeah, in fairness I don't get there that often anyway, but am seriously deprived of decent chipper chips that are value for money, aren't dripping in grease, in Sligo town!

Yeah, in fairness I don't get there that often anyway, but am seriously deprived of decent chipper chips that are value for money, aren't dripping in grease, in Sligo town!

Yip, I still live in town myself and would love some decent chipper chips. Molly's are a no go for me (used to live near them, ate my weight in them over the years, can't stomach them any more) and Roberto's has issues as discussed.

Is there anywhere else worth trying really? Dying for some now, I may, just may, gravitate towards Roberto's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

The chipper beside Mooney's isn't too bad.

SPM1959 wrote: »
    The chipper beside Mooney's isn't too bad.

The Little Chip. Used to be the snug in Mooneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 caseyjones01

How come mcdonalds in Sligo never have-any apple pies ready, it's always 6 minute wait for them.

I was surprised to find that Ho-Wong chinese make the the nicest chips I've had in a long time from anywhere in town, and their curry sauce is lovely as well. I don't usually get chips with a chinese but I go there just for a bag of chips now.

I never go to Roberto's, Best, Zam Zam or Molly's any more, they all seemed to have stopped making any effort to make the food decent. Used to think Molly's was nice but now every time I get something it looks like they dropped it on the floor it's so messy, and is usually drowned in sauce and cole slaw ruining the burger, last time there was red sauce all over the top of the bun, no way to pick it up without getting it all over your fingers. Best is way overpriced, they even try to charge you for sauce and it's muck.

Happy Eater must be named ironically or something. Grouchy Grease Pit would be more accurate, the staff have horrible attitude.

How come mcdonalds in Sligo never have-any apple pies ready, it's always 6 minute wait for them.

You're right, same always happens to me! You generally have to complain to corporate office to get anything done but they do take complaints seriously, might be worth an email because the apple pies are delicious, one of my favorite things they sell. But they are also verrrryyy bad for the waistline!

[quote="sligoface;

Happy Eater must be named ironically or something. Grouchy Grease Pit would be more accurate, the staff have horrible attitude.[/quote]

Yes I have been there, what is their problem, so grouchy and unwelcoming at that place?

Just spotted a new takeaway on the MCR, on the other side of 'Great' as you go into the car park of MCR Commuinty Hall. When did that 'Popup'? Temporary job for the Fleadh or a permanent thing anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just spotted a new takeaway on the MCR, on the other side of 'Great' as you go into the car park of MCR Commuinty Hall. When did that 'Popup'? Temporary job for the Fleadh or a permanent thing anyone know?
    Yeah, it's called "The Great Pizza Place" or something.. remember that being an shed.. a bit out of the way to be a pop-up but hard to tell!

• Advertisement
Advertisement