Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Anyone know what the story with the spoof Ocean FM video that is being aired on their prog trailer? Niall was not best pleased (by the sound of it). Any links? ta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Great shot magnumlady well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyone know whats going on at the Race Course? Loads of camper vans up there half of last week and yesterday, then big crowd on the track yesterday morning. Didn't appear to be races on, and nothing being advertised.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Anyone know whats going on at the Race Course? Loads of camper vans up there half of last week and yesterday, then big crowd on the track yesterday morning. Didn't appear to be races on, and nothing being advertised.

:confused:

Irish Motorised Camping Association(not sure if that's correct name) were there for the weekend and there was a Community Games cross country race on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Anyone any recommendations on where to park in town. Parked in the cathedral carpark today but didn't like the look of the 2 cars with smashed in side windows and the general amount of glass peppered around when I went to leave this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone any recommendations on where to park in town. Parked in the cathedral carpark today but didn't like the look of the 2 cars with smashed in side windows and the general amount of glass peppered around when I went to leave this evening.
    I normally stick to either:

a) Abbey Street Car Park - only 80c an hour and typically quite quiet if you're not going to town specifically for groceries.
    b) The Mall Car Park - work that side of town - so handy way to get back to work without crossing the bridge,
    c) Adelaide Street Car Park - find it far less busy than Dunnes / Tesco Car Park around Wine Street.

My 2c's.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Dunnes Stores Cranmore car park. It's free and just a short walk to town.

Don't pay for parking in town, it's not even going to the corporation/council as the pay machines are just broken into and coins robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The all over the place Cycle Lanes are gone from Cemetery Road, well some of it any way.

\o/

Lets hope they now resurface the top half and get rid of the bigger mess of all over the place cycle lanes, and forget, or dont bother, or not in the budget to repaint them.

It was the biggest mess and clutter of line painting I had ever seen, confusing at times for many drivers, and the most ignornace of the rules of the road, and continues to be so (on the upper half) I have ever seen.

And Breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Primrose Lane

how many other ways is there to tell my pooch that 'No you can't get up on my knees right now because your soaking wet!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

There was a guy for Irish Water in a mini-digger this morning around 7.50am just on the path near the lights at the first sea road. I noticed he had the head down and wasn't moving. Don't know if he was :

(a) Asleep
    (b) Checking his phone
    (c) Dead

Hope it's not the third one, if someone is driving by and they're still working, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

he was working away alright .. saw him reversing into one of the driveways when I was passing!

The sight of these guys from a private company punching holes in the ground outside of houses is one of the most frustratingly sad sights I have yet to behold. It was like a scene out of Orwells 1984.

I'm beginning to buy into the concept of the psychopathic control grid and how the Irish Government has bought into it wholesale.

Ok, there's folks that will justify it in comparison to gas and electricity, but water! Lord above where has our society ended up?

And meanwhile the diggers will just keep rolling relentlessly on and will be outside your door sometime soon. It would not surprise me if our own free time will taxed sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Kettleson wrote: »
    The sight of these guys from a private company punching holes in the ground outside of houses is one of the most frustratingly sad sights I have yet to behold. It was like a scene out of Orwells 1984.

I'm beginning to buy into the concept of the psychopathic control grid and how the Irish Government has bought into it wholesale.

Ok, there's folks that will justify it in comparison to gas and electricity, but water! Lord above where has our society ended up?

And meanwhile the diggers will just keep rolling relentlessly on and will be outside your door sometime soon. It would not surprise me if our own free time will taxed sometime in the future.

I have no problem at all paying for water, as it's not the water you're paying for as such, it's the treatment and delivery to the tap, the problem I have is that we're already paying for this lumped in other taxes, we should see some other tax reduce to balance it out.

At least water is one utility that the cost can be fairly easily reduced by harvesting your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

rizzodun wrote: »
    I have no problem at all paying for water, as it's not the water you're paying for as such, it's the treatment and delivery to the tap, the problem I have is that we're already paying for this lumped in other taxes, we should see some other tax reduce to balance it out.

I'm all for having to pay for water, but not if it becomes privatised. Once that happens you're effectively paying to keep the owner in profit, as well as paying their workers wages on top of it. The whole idea behind it was to make people aware of the amount of treated water they are wasting. Everyone says privatising invites competition which in turn gives consumers better prices. Not in Ireland. The electrical market is a prime example, one raises the price and within weeks they others all follow suit.
    rizzodun wrote: »
    At least water is one utility that the cost can be fairly easily reduced by harvesting your own.

One thing you'll find out in due course is the "Oh, you're not using enough to keep us in business. We have to increase your standing charge/unit rate. Or, the Irish standard, both!
    Greenstar is a great example; They sent everyone in the area letters informing them of this very thing. They used to get paid per lift, then they were getting paid for nothing on top of that, but this somehow turned out to be not enough?

Water services (and in my opinion electricity) should never be privatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Hi, Im looking to rent a house in Co. Sligo anyone can recommend nice and quiet estate at Collooney?Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

why was the laptop repair thread deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

shanec1928 wrote: »
    why was the laptop repair thread deleted?

I didn't delete it as I wasn't around yesterday afternoon but from what I saw beforehand it descended into petty backwards and forwards bickering - someone possibly set up an account purely to slander a company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Spent a few days down the midlands in the past week. Visited a few different towns and feel that some other towns around the country have recovered from the recession far better than Sligo has. Would anyone else agree that Sligo is still struggling, with new jobs, commercially, with infrastructure, etc?

The towns I am referring to are Kilkenny and Portlaoise. Both seemed to be recovering quiet well. Portlaoise had a shopping centre, much bigger than anything that Sligo, with big name shops, packed with people, carrying full shopping bags and with no empty shop units. Kilkenny was the same.

The restaurants in Kilkenny had decent numbers of people from late afternoon. This is in contrast to a well regarded restaurant, my favourite restaurant in Sligo, that my wife and I went to last night during a bank holiday weekend, thinking it would be packed, it was empty.

One thing that was evident in Portlaoise and Kilkenny was that free parking (up to three hours) was drawing people into the towns. I understand that the County has a lot of debt and relies upon parking charges but within 20 minutes of arriving back in Sligo on Saturday I spotted the parking warden putting a ticket on a car, that cannot be helping.

On a related note, is it time to look at the Centre Block in Wine St. car park again? On a smaller scale? I think it is, or this town will only slip further behind the rest of the country and it would cost a lot less now than seven years ago and create much needed jobs.

All that said, Sligo is really well these days, well done to everyone involved.

I'd agree there's a much quicker turnaround in the eastern half of the country.
    Portlaoise/Carlow etc. have gained hugely from the motorway link to Dublin and are now almost satellite towns of the capital.
    Kilkenny was always busy, they seem to know how to make the most of their tourist attractions (such as the castle)
    and always appeared to have some nice restaurants and pubs.

The N4 upgrade, which was ok'ed last week should see an improvement for the NW in general, but we're still
    too far from Dublin to benefit from any big population increase.
    The Wild Atlantic Way should also help our tourism, but I'd say it will be a couple of years before it's established enough for us to see any major spin-off. I've heard two Germans talking about doing it in 2 days! Tourists don't seem to know yet how long it actually is.

However, it's great to see what's being done to improve the appearance of what we've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

red sean wrote: »
    I'd agree there's a much quicker turnaround in the eastern half of the country.
    Portlaoise/Carlow etc. have gained hugely from the motorway link to Dublin and are now almost satellite towns of the capital.
    Kilkenny was always busy, they seem to know how to make the most of their tourist attractions (such as the castle)
    and always appeared to have some nice restaurants and pubs.

The N4 upgrade, which was ok'ed last week should see an improvement for the NW in general, but we're still
    too far from Dublin to benefit from any big population increase.
    The Wild Atlantic Way should also help our tourism, but I'd say it will be a couple of years before it's established enough for us to see any major spin-off. I've heard two Germans talking about doing it in 2 days! Tourists don't seem to know yet how long it actually is.

However, it's great to see what's being done to improve the appearance of what we've got.

I know I am biased but we have got a lot. I wonder how many Counties can tick all the boxes to say they have;

5 blue flag beaches.
    Beautiful scenery including a table top mountain!
    A Racecourse with a beautiful backdrop.
    Golf courses.
    Surfing and Watersports.
    Lakes and Fishing.
    Woodland/Hiking walks.
    Historical buildings like Lissadell.
    A River running through the centre with places to dine overlooking it.
    Award winning restaurants spread throughout the County.
    Shopping.
    Bars.
    Night clubs.
    Parks.
    Cinema.
    Theatre.
    Cathedrals.
    Decent roads into the City/Town Centre to take advantage of all the above.
    The list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Anyone else notice Val's photos on the old ESB shop?

Water charges:

So when do the water metres monitoring our water use start turning? From midnight tonight? (First bills to be sent out January 2015).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Kettleson wrote: »
    Water charges:

So when do the water metres monitoring our water use start turning? From midnight tonight? (First bills to be sent out January 2015).

They have been turning since they were installed!
    When do Irish Water read them is another matter. Can they read all the meters at once?

prodsc wrote: »
    They have been turning since they were installed!
    When do Irish Water read them is another matter. Can they read all the meters at once?

From when does the usage be taken into consideration for billing purposes? Today?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

:) Our meter is installed but my friend nearby has not got theirs yet. I will be taking baths at theirs until they get metered:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

No worries they will be paying as well;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Was in Letterkenny over the weekend, and what a contrast with Sligo. Saturday night the restaurants and pubs seemed to be really busy. Sunday and nearly all of the shops in the retail park area were open and despite the rain there was a decent crowd about. It is amazing to see what the impact of having free parking on a Sunday can have on a town. Much greater choice around as well. Not a lot open on in Sligo on a Sunday.

Advertisement