Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the possibility of a God not a scary thought...?

Options
  • 02-10-2020 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

After listening to some prominent atheists and doing some research the idea that there maybe a god is just as scary as the thought of simply nothing.

An all powerful god decides to create the world and humans and then fills the world with such pain and misery and then expects us to worship him constantly, why? It then tries to fill us with fear of his wrath if we disobey in anyway.

What kind of a god is it to do that? a very scary one in my honest opinion, I mean if I created life the last thing I would want to do is bestow untold misery on it and then demand it grovels to me, that's insane.

How do people reconcile the fact they are worshiping a god that does and behaves this way? We condemn dictators and evil despots for doing this kind of thing but God gets a free pass, why? is it not just as wrong? are people only believing and following out of fear?

Also how many religions and gods are there in the world? we only believe in what we believe because of geography...they can't all be true, if we were born in a different era or a different part of the world our beliefs would be totally different, yet Catholics and Christians don't bat an eye in not believing in any other religion or God..

Iv'e been struggling with this lately, id always considered myself a lapsed catholic, I don't attend church but I believed there maybe something, but now the thought of something is just as scary, if not scarier than simply ceasing to exist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Most people, it seems to me, are scared of the prospect of there being no God.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

When man rebelled and trusted Satan over God then mankind has been cursed ever since. We need to put our trust in the Bible as Jesus reconciled us with God again. We see this spiritual war playing out right up today, those controlling the world worship the Devil and are trying to get as many people away from Christ. So many people think it's all a big joke and don't realise how far they will fall until it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

When man rebelled and trusted Satan over God then mankind has been cursed ever since. We need to put our trust in the Bible as Jesus reconciled us with God again. We see this spiritual war playing out right up today, those controlling the world worship the Devil and are trying to get as many people away from Christ. So many people think it's all a big joke and don't realise how far they will fall until it's too late.

Do you not realize how utterly insane that sounds? I don't ever remember rebelling and trusting Satan, are you saying some people did at some point and now we're all being punished, that is utterly sadistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Honest answer

Yes it is because if ther me is a god he's normally someone/thing that I would like to be associated with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

If God exists, then he is a sadist that does not deserve our worship anyway.

You'll see posts that follow in this thread blaming things like childhood cancer and horrible diseases on the fact Adam and Eve ate an apple and damned mankind or some nonsense to that effect. Very vengeful God altogether.

• Advertisement

Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The thought that there is a god and heaven and hell scares me because I know where I will be going (if what I was told growing up is true)

I don’t believe in god. I think death is the end and there is nothing and that comforts me.

Do you not realize how utterly insane that sounds? I don't ever remember rebelling and trusting Satan, are you saying some people did at some point and now we're all being punished, that is utterly sadistic.

Are you putting your trust in the world instead of God? This world is controlled by the Devil and it's why so many people have been deceived. Everyone was born with the knowledge there is a creator, he gave us a conscience and the ability to worship God. Many chose to suppress God and instead follow the world, being lead away for eternity when their time of grace is up. Jesus came for the broken and to restore our relationship back with God, however too many fail to reach out and continue to be separated from God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Are you putting your trust in the world instead of God? This world is controlled by the Devil and it's why so many people have been deceived.
    So is the devil more powerful than god then?

Why else would he leave the devil in a position to do such eternal harm to us?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Mod warning: This is not a forum that permits random attacks on the Christian faith. Please read and understand the charter before posting here again.

• Advertisement

wench wrote: »
    So is the devil more powerful than god then?

Why else would he leave the devil in a position to do such eternal harm to us?

God is more powerful. We have free will to choose, we are either with Jesus or with the Devil. There are 100 million Bible's sold every year, nobody should be without excuse when their time comes. The devil tempts and it is up to us to choose, just like one third of the angels chose the devil before they were all cast out of heaven forever. There is too much evidence for Jesus Christ to deny him, even today people cast out demons in his name and he gives a new heart to the lost and those living in ungodly ways that repent and accept him as their saviour.

God is more powerful. We have free will to choose, we are either with Jesus or with the Devil. There are 100 million Bible's sold every year, nobody should be without excuse when their time comes. The devil tempts and it is up to us to choose, just like one third of the angels chose the devil before they were all cast out of heaven forever. There is too much evidence for Jesus Christ to deny him, even today people cast out demons in his name and he gives a new heart to the lost and those living in ungodly ways that repent and accept him as their saviour.

And yet not a single person can show me any.

(This is the part where you tell me I wont see it because I don't have faith i suppose?)

And yet not a single person can show me any.

(This is the part where you tell me I wont see it because I don't have faith i suppose?)

Your looking for physical evidence which will not be given to you. You already know God is real, even atheists know, and you heard of the gospel and what Jesus Christ did for the world. It's up to you after that if you want to truly believe it.

Your looking for physical evidence which will not be given to you. You already know God is real, even atheists know, and you heard of the gospel and what Jesus Christ did for the world. It's up to you after that if you want to truly believe it.

No...I dont. The same as I know unicorns are not real. Saying that if someone can ever show me evidence of unicorns then I will start believing. The same goes for all gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

smacl wrote: »
    Mod warning: This is not a forum that permits random attacks on the Christian faith. Please read and understand the charter before posting here again.

I merely attacked a post in which someone claimed humans have been forever cursed because they rebelled against god, do you not see how sadistic that sounds?

Humanity forever punished because of what others from a previous time have supposedly done...for instance why should I be cursed? as I said I don't ever remember rebelling against God and proclaiming my love for Satan.

You have to ask what kind of a god would do that or set these types of rules and punishments, it's akin to the three generations of punishment rule in North Korea, totally immoral.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I know unicorns are not real

How do you know they are not real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Most people, it seems to me, are scared of the prospect of there being no God.

Err no.

mrcheez wrote: »
    How do you know they are not real?

Because I have never seen one, I will continue to believe they are not real unless I am shown evidence otherwise.

Because I have never seen one, I will continue to believe they are not real unless I am shown evidence otherwise.

Have you seen an atom?

Evidence of unicorns is there if you look for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

if god likes you he will give you lots of money
    big house good looking girlfriend
    if not your poor get cancer etc

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »

Christians do not believe that the world is run by devil worshippers and therefore Sandor Clegane's reply was in no way an attack on Christian faith. Heck, out of context you would think that Sandor Clegane was a Christian responding to a post by a satanist.

I think you may have wielded your mod hammer incorrectly there my friend.

Have you seen an atom?

Evidence of unicorns is there if you look for it.

Yes, lots of people have seen atoms, there is proof of atoms there are pictures of atoms.

Please show me evidence for unicorns.

Have you seen an atom?

Yes.

18ontxblfw77lpng.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

So god publishes one book, and then steps back to leave the devil in charge?
    Is that not somewhat stacking the deck against humanity?

We are all supposed to be his children, is this not a cruel way to behave, particularly when the consequences are eternal?

I merely attacked a post in which someone claimed humans have been forever cursed because they rebelled against god, do you not see how sadistic that sounds?

Humanity forever punished because of what others from a previous time have supposedly done...for instance why should I be cursed? as I said I don't ever remember rebelling against God and proclaiming my love for Satan.

You have to ask what kind of a god would do that or set these types of rules and punishments, it's akin to the three generations of punishment rule in North Korea, totally immoral.

Sin entered this world because mankind rebelled against God and believed the lies of the devil. It is an ongoing battle to this day. You can choose to follow this broken and corrupted world that's being controlled by the devil or you can choose to trust the bible and accept what Jesus did for you.

wench wrote: »
    So god publishes one book, and then steps back to leave the devil in charge?
    Is that not somewhat stacking the deck against humanity?

We are all supposed to be his children, is this not a cruel way to behave, particularly when the consequences are eternal?

It's more than just a book. God plainly wrote his words to us through the holy spirit and it is up to us to seek out God. Yes the deck is stacked against humanity, the bible says the path to hell is wide and not everyone will accept the truth. Finding yourself in hell after being deceived by the world is cruel but there really should be no excuse. Jesus spoke more about hell than heaven and everyone that has heard of the gospel should know what awaits.

Sin entered this world because mankind rebelled against God and believed the lies of the devil. It is an ongoing battle to this day. You can choose to follow this broken and corrupted world that's being controlled by the devil or you can choose to trust the bible and accept what Jesus did for you.

Just to save people some time, some quick research told me that this user believes in chemtrails, that climate change is an "agenda", that that the God particle has something to do with God, that COVID was invented in a lab, that Trump has handled COVID better than Europe and, eh, whatever this nonsense is.

Who knows what else I could find after another five minutes. Probably not worth talking any sense to this user and better to focus on OP's questions instead. :)

Yes, lots of people have seen atoms, there is proof of atoms there are pictures of atoms.

Please show me evidence for unicorns.

Yes but have YOU seen an atom with your naked eye?

Just as there is pictorial evidence of atoms there is similar for unicorns.

https://www.vpr.org/sites/vpr/files/201910/unicorn-istock-MadKruben.png

There is too much evidence to deny their existence, even atheists know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

The "problem of evil" is a major one, but one which has been addressed, in one way or another, by almost all the major theologians and Doctors of the Church should you care to look it up OP. It is not a new problem. But it's certainly one of the big questions OP so its normal to have it and you wouldn't be much of a thinker if you didn't question this.

I can't really remember who I read from what and where but after reading about it I no longer found the problem of evil much of a "problem" at all or a barrier to belief in God.

Here are a general points in no particular order that "stuck with me" to think about:

First, evil is best understood as a privation of good.

Can "evil" and indeed "good" be properly understood, or exist, in the absence of a God? Why should Good exist?

Our life on Earth is just a very small, but important, part of our existence. You can't "judge" God solely on the basis of what happens here.

God blessed us with free will, if He forced us to "do good" it wouldn't be free will would it? (But He did give us a load of pointers, rules, help and of course the Sacraments etc. to enable and help us to do good).

If God knows all, it is perfectly logical and conceivable that "evil" is allowed to occur for ultimate good reasons that we don't, and cannot, understand. Logically, with our limited understanding of the world, and the shortness of our conception of existence on Earth, why should we expect to be able to fully discern and understand the acts of an all knowing being like God?

God wants good for us - to be joined with him in Heaven -to the extent that he sent His son to suffer and die for us. Suffering can be redemptive.

In my experience, none of the answers to the "problem of evil" positively point towards the existence of God, but merely demonstrate that the existence of evil has no bearing on Gods existence. The "problem of evil" is not one which, when engaged with, can rationally lead one to either believe or disbelieve in God. It is a more useful discussion when trying to ascertain the nature of God, rather than His existence.

I do not find the existence of God to be scary, personally.

It is my experience that people find in "nothingness" a nihilistic comfort (well, before they are on their deathbeds anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Depends on which God you mean: the vengeful judgemental one or the kind benevolent one?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement