Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Program about forgotton Irish Woman Physicist

Options
  • 28-08-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi
    Somebody told me that last night (Monday), there was a very interesting program about a Dublin woman
    who was a brilliant physicist but was basically written out of history because she was a woman.
    I think John Bowman was featured on it as he is a big fan of hers.
    Her name I'm not certain of : maybe Charlotte Kipling or something like that.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Any idea of when this person was alive or what area of physics they worked in?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭RacingSilver

I think she worked in the 1930s and was from Dublin.
    My wife was half-watching the program but cannot remember her name.
    My wife thinks she worked in Nazi Germany and invented a chronograph(?), but a Nazi officer was electrocuted when he was poking at it, She was sentenced to be hanged but escaped Germany, and hasn't been heard of since.
    John Bowman seems to be an admirer of hers so maybe I should mail him!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Here is the program (its drama not factual) on RTE Player

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10045158

Here is a thread on boards which explains what it is all about.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056077423

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Sounds like a fun idea for a film. Here's the relevant IMDB entry.
    John Bowman seems to be an admirer of hers so maybe I should mail him!
    An Eleanor Bowman is credited for the camera work. Possibly, she's a family member or other close relative.

Advertisement