Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting your pronoun on Linkedin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Rologyro

Andreas77 wrote: »
    Sex and gender have always been distinct concepts as far as I know. Gender is performative and in many senses, socially constructed. Sex is a biological precondition. If you don't understand the vocabulary you will struggle to make sense of the issues.

If gender is a social construct, and not physical, then do people who physically alter their bodies to better “match” their desired gender not contradict the social construct idea?

Are they suffering from a mental illness, brought about by a social construct, a symptom of which is a desire to physically alter themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

decade back almost linkedin was a bit like facebook and pretty much dozens of agencies looking for people wtf has changed, i seen in another posts smth about portfolios loans - thought the site was to get connected with employers mainly, anyway not really interested, just dont see the point of site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Wibbs wrote: »
    What a grim assembly of spoilt mental cases. "Sensory overload"? I suggest a swift and forceful kick in your fat arse to reset that.

Best comment on the video:

'Point of personal privilege: Your jazz hands are creating a disrupting breeze, I'm developing a rash...... He/Him'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

This ones gives even more of an insight. The ‘sensory overload’ dude (oops, gendering) speaks again:

How do these people get through an average day? Such delicate doilies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

high_king wrote: »
    Typical Transphobic Shyte. The sooner companies make this and gender neutral toilets compulsory the better.

I never understand the need for 'gender neutral' toilets. Surely you just pick the ladies jacks and go into the privacy of a cubicle simple.
    Of course disabled toilets are 'gender neutral' and a lot of times in pubs they end up as store rooms....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This ones gives even more of an insight. The ‘sensory overload’ dude (oops, gendering) speaks again:

Don't go into the safe spaces with an "aggressive scent". FFS. That room needs a Darwin level event to clear the decks of those spoilt mental cases. If there was ever an example of how some thankfully small sections of modern western society needs an enema, that's a good one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Wibbs wrote: »
    Don't go into the safe spaces with an "aggressive scent". FFS. That room needs a Darwin level event to clear the decks of those spoilt mental cases. If there was ever an example of how some thankfully small sections of modern western society needs an enema, that's a good one.

It’s like a complete regression of human psyche to beyond an infant state, every person there is a pathetic waste of skin. There are children in Junior Infants more capable of dealing with the world than any of those ****in imbeciles in that video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

It’s like a complete regression of human psyche to beyond an infant state, every person there is a pathetic waste of skin. There are children in Junior Infants more capable of dealing with the world than any of those ****in imbeciles in that video.

I have observed a fetishisation of neurosis. To be neuro different in some way has been a badge of distinction for at least a decade. Look at the Ritalin kids generation, which was not just an American phenomenon, I had a UK friend who was an inspector if schools and 15 years ago she was remarking on the bottles lined up in the staff rooms all over the place. Anyway, big area, no time now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

What a gathering of absolute fcukwits. Honestly, there are actual adults in that room that should know better and take control of such utter utter nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Despite this subject being so ripe for excellent comedy, it is very real.
    Social policy has been captured by a cult-like ideology that erases women and homosexuals under the banner of fake 'rights'.
    Transgenderist self-ID (not to be confused with transsexualism) is the new cash cow of LGBTQIA2S- blah- blah orgs.
    These orgs post-2015 have extraordinary leverage with governments and therefore have controlled social policy which will negatively affect half the population

Employers are now the BINGO! conduit to ram this sh1t down our necks.
    Your livelihood is now part of the sacrifice if you do not comply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

It's become a requirement in a lot of American tech companies to have this in their email sig

That's where I draw the line.

If someone chooses to include their choice of pronoun in their email signature, I have no problem with that, and will follow their wishes.

BUT I object to a company instructing an employee to include pronouns in their email signature as a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

AulWan wrote: »
    That's where I draw the line.

If someone chooses to include their choice of pronoun in their email signature, I have no problem with that, and will follow their wishes.

BUT I object to a company instructing an employee to include pronouns in their email signature as a requirement.

One cannot just wish English grammar away. It gives a very bad impression of the writer and the company to a reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

There are only 2 genders.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

AulWan wrote: »
    ...I object to a company instructing an employee to include pronouns in their email signature as a requirement...

In my view, that is gender-based harassment and intimidation on the part of such company against people who wish to keep their personal pronouns private. I'm not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    There are only 2 genders.

Kylie and Kendal?:D

jimgoose wrote: »
    In my view, that is gender-based harassment and intimidation on the part of such company against people who wish to keep their personal pronouns private. I'm not joking.
    Is this secret pronouns a thing as well? :( Nobody owns pronouns, they belong to the language you are speaking.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is this secret pronouns a thing as well? :( Nobody owns pronouns, they belong to the language you are speaking.

No, what I'm driving at is employers have no business forcing people to publicise personal, gender- and/or sexuality-related stuff like that.

I just can't keep up with this shít. It's like the world has become a parody of itself. Literally nothing is too fúcking stupid for some group of clowns to demand it be taken seriously this days.

Language just evolves, you can't force people to use certain words, if they don't gel naturally they just won't be used. New words are created all the time and fall into general usage while others just fade out - but it's next to impossible to control, it just happens organically.

Look at that rapper bloke in the UK who has spent tons of money trying to get people to use the word "dench" all so he can own the word and sell shít with dench written on it. I occasionally see a t shirt or the likes but i have never once heard anyone say it. In all honesty it's a stupid fúcking word!

...Look at that rapper bloke in the UK who has spent tons of money trying to get people to use the word "dench" all so he can own the word and sell shít with dench written on it. I occasionally see a t shirt or the likes but i have never once heard anyone say it. In all honesty it's a stupid fúcking word!

Has he asked Dame Judi Dench what she thinks about it?? :pac:

No, what I'm driving at is employers have no business forcing people to publicise personal, gender- and/or sexuality-related stuff like that.
    I agree but the workplace is not a place to lay down social tendencies. People can be respectful without "personal choice" pronouns ever rearing their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Look at that rapper bloke in the UK who has spent tons of money trying to get people to use the word "dench" all so he can own the word and sell shwith dench written on it. I occasionally see a t shirt or the likes but i have never once heard anyone say it. In all honesty it's a stupid fúcking word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I agree. There should be no need for any more information then your name in a business email or professional profile, in my humble opinion.7

For what its worth, I trained myself into the habit of writing in a gender neutral fashion (as much as its possible) for business purposes years ago before gender neutrality was even a thing. It's not that hard to do.

Has he asked Dame Judi Dench what she thinks about it?? :pac:

She's not allowed to use it anymore. She's just Dame Judy now;)

I just can't keep up with this shít. It's like the world has become a parody of itself. Literally nothing is too fúcking stupid for some group of clowns to demand it be taken seriously this days.

Language just evolves, you can't force people to use certain words, if they don't gel naturally they just won't be used. New words are created all the time and fall into general usage while others just fade out - but it's next to impossible to control, it just happens organically.

Look at that rapper bloke in the UK who has spent tons of money trying to get people to use the word "dench" all so he can own the word and sell shít with dench written on it. I occasionally see a t shirt or the likes but i have never once heard anyone say it. In all honesty it's a stupid fúcking word!

I think that’s what’s rubbing people up the wrong way. Some TRAs have latched onto “Language evolves!” to try and introduce this pronoun stuff but language evolution is organic.

And honestly, even though ‘they’ could already be used as a singular, using it as a singular was never ideal for me. I chose it if no other word was available at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rologyro wrote: »
    I saw this for the first time today on an Irish LinkedIn profile. Their name was down as “Jane Bloggs (she, her)”.
    Excellent, this makes separating the chaff from the wheat easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yeah. Can you imagine the sort of drip you'd be stuck with if you hired someone with their pronouns on their linkedin profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭victor8600

Not all names are easily identifiable as either female or male. Take Alex for example, could be anything. So adding a pronoun can help with identifying a gender of the person. Personally though I think it is a form of cheating to add a gender-specific pronoun anyway because you are supposed to be hired for your expertise and not anything else.

My pronoun is Dr. by the way ;)

victor8600 wrote: »
    Not all names are easily identifiable as either female or male. Take Alex for example, could be anything. So adding a pronoun can help with identifying a gender of the person. Personally though I think it is a form of cheating to add a gender-specific pronoun anyway because you are supposed to be hired for your expertise and not anything else.

My pronoun is Dr. by the way ;)

How did people figure this out before? And if a mistake is made, big deal. It’ll get corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭victor8600

How did people figure this out before? And if a mistake is made, big deal. It’ll get corrected.

Well exactly, and putting pronouns is not needed on an employment-related site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sometimes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latinx

Advertisement