Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting your pronoun on Linkedin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Apparently LinkedIn is still in use (possibly more popular than I think, I dunno, never really used it) and people are now putting their preferred pronoun on there so people can correctly label call them by their preferred pronoun.
    LinkedIn is actually very good, that is the networking, marketing and job opportunities it has. If none of those float your boat then it's not the platform for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m loathe to share this because people here seem to have a dim view of reddit. But I read a fantastic thread on it yesterday. It was by somebody who was at a work meeting in a very liberal American city. The leader told everyone to introduce themselves and their pronouns. The OP didn’t want to do the pronoun thing and was fretting about how to convey that without jeopardising her career. But in the end, she didn’t have to make the decision. Some dude ahead of her didn’t say anything about pronouns in his spiel. He was a senior employee and wasn’t pulled up on it so she thought little of it. But then everyone else after that made no mention of preferred pronouns either. Hurrah!

I suppose one could question the veracity of the story but it sparked an interesting discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Apparently LinkedIn is still in use (possibly more popular than I think, I dunno, never really used it) and people are now putting their preferred pronoun on there so people can correctly label call them by their preferred pronoun.

I'm still no wiser . Never used linked in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Don't think this guy has been mentioned yet?

There was a more relevant interview that I can't find, but while searching I saw something about YT censoring him..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

cjmc wrote: »
    I'm still no wiser . Never used linked in

I shall refer to is_that_so's post above then!
    is_that_so wrote: »
    LinkedIn is actually very good, that is the networking, marketing and job opportunities it has..

It's basically like Facebook for your career, but it's supposed to be only for your career, ie: previous jobs, completed courses, references, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

It's basically like Facebook for your career, but it's supposed to be only for your career, ie: previous jobs, completed courses, references, etc.

It is best used as a snapshot of your current and past work experience and educational background. Nothing else. It does certainly get misused though.

Some folk use it like other social media and engage in public chat, which is completely wrong in my book, and does not tend to show one in a good light to a potential employer. Having a profile picture looking like you are ready to head out on the town is another cringe worthy common misuse.

skallywag wrote: »
    Having a profile picture looking like you are ready to head out on the town is another cringe worthy common misuse.

I have one, but I think I set it up and never went back to it. That was over 13 years ago though... My profile picture is, if you know the game Fallout, me posing like one of the perk-boys in my own perk-boy t-shirt. Friend of mine made us look the same height... Think I should update now that I'm back in the private domain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

(Big bollocks)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I deal with this girl in the UK for work and she appeared on my linkedin. Her pic was her wrapped around her fella, he looked like a right scanger (sp?) with his fringe gelled down in that striped fashion, and wearing a gold chain and a tracksuit. Very professional like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how the woke handle the backlash that will come 10 to 15 years down the line, when people realise they didn't need the surgery and start questioning why there wasn't stricter controls.

Plenty happening already. People saying they caught up in the online trans community, were coached on what to say, obsessed over it all the time. Then a few years later they woke up and realised they'd butchered themselves, the promises that were made about how they'd feel didn't come true, and any mention of this is shut down by trans people who don't want to know. One person said they just clearly weren't well the whole time and someone should have stopped them. It's really heartbreaking.
    I think there is a bit of a conflict as people who need lifelong medical treatment - which will need to be paid for - would be a bit of a cash cow for medical industry, plus they don't want to be called transphobic so they would just go along with it

The bigger backlash will be when children who were pushed into it end up adults and angry at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Distortion of the English language to assuage a tiny, tiny percentage of people?

Its done all the time with stupid people, so why not anyone else?

"been" has nearly replaced being at this stage.

Though maybe that group is more than a tiny , tiny percentage............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I wouldn’t be so sure. In the UK, there have been cases of minors being prescribed life-changing medication after only a handful of consultations. I read an interview with a former employee of the Tavistock Centre where she said that.

I don’t think any minor should be given either. The surgery is irreversible. And there isn’t enough data on the effects of the hormonal treatment (and not really any ethical way to figure that out). The human brain isn’t done developing until the early-mid 20s.
    Oh yeah I mean adults only. It blows my mind that the hormonal treatment is being administered to children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

bluewolf wrote: »
    Plenty happening already. People saying they caught up in the online trans community, were coached on what to say, obsessed over it all the time. Then a few years later they woke up and realised they'd butchered themselves, the promises that were made about how they'd feel didn't come true, and any mention of this is shut down by trans people who don't want to know. One person said they just clearly weren't well the whole time and someone should have stopped them. It's really heartbreaking.
    I think there is a bit of a conflict as people who need lifelong medical treatment - which will need to be paid for - would be a bit of a cash cow for medical industry, plus they don't want to be called transphobic so they would just go along with it

The bigger backlash will be when children who were pushed into it end up adults and angry at it
    That's the worst part. We even have celebrities coming out now and saying that their son at 3 decided he is a girl and he's she is being raised as a girl. Ridiculous. Just because a 3/4 year old boy wants to wear Princess dresses, it doesn't make him trans.

When I was a kid I was the biggest tomboy ever. I still as an adult wouldn't be considered a "girly girt" but I'm so glad I didn't grow up in a time with woke parents who decided I was trans and convinced me that I was really meant to be born male.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Can I make up my own pronoun now?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Of course and anyone who doesn't use it is a bigot :P

I am [whichever jacks is closest].

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

I self identify as an attack helicopter, and you must provide me with a hangar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

We all know it, these poor kids are all parents of a particular class of individual, I'll bet all this gender dysphoria is happen in clusters, in affluent parts of cities.

We haven't seen this kind of madness since we experienced the moving statue phenomena of the mid 80s...incidentally, a phenomena that marked the end of the grip the Church had on the collective psyche of this country.

Anyone can see why there is a movement to the political right coming, it's happening all over the developed world...it will come here soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

bluewolf wrote: »

That’s so sad. :( Those people were pawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is the modern way in some quarters. Any combination of letters will do!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

We all know it, these poor kids are all parents of a particular class of individual, I'll bet all this gender dysphoria is happen in clusters, in affluent parts of cities.

We haven't seen this kind of madness since we experienced the moving statue phenomena of the mid 80s...incidentally, a phenomena that marked the end of the grip the Church had on the collective psyche of this country.

Anyone can see why there is a movement to the political right coming, it's happening all over the developed world...it will come here soon!

Well that's not true. Transgenderism has been observed across a lot of cultures throughout history. I could provide links, but do some research.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Well that's not true. Transgenderism has been observed across a lot of cultures throughout history. I could provide links, but do some research.

What is not true? What are you on about?

I never said anything about whether I believe that Transgenderism exists, I've no problem accepting that this ideology has been around for centuries...I just don't subscribe to it, it is currently mainstream like Catholicism was back in the 80s...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What is not true? What are you on about?

I never said anything about whether I believe that Transgenderism exists, I've no problem accepting that this ideology has been around for centuries...I just don't subscribe to it, it is currently mainstream like Catholicism was back in the 80s...

You said gender dysphoria happens in affluent parts of cities, implying a social trend. GD is a real thing, not an ideology.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    You said gender dysphoria happens in affluent parts of cities, implying a social trend. GD is a real thing, not an ideology.

Read what I said again...I said "I'll bet"....I'm not the only one thinking that way, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/28/ivy-league-college-deletes-link-study-claimed-peer-groups-can/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Augme

high_king wrote: »
    Why should he ?

Id have zero interest in working for a company that does something that makes me sick to my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Work for a large Irish based company and like this we got an email during the week encouraging us to add our pronoun to our email sign off. Some sort of awareness week/month.

Boll*x to that [no pronoun required]

Read what I said again...I said "I'll bet"....I'm not the only one thinking that way, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/28/ivy-league-college-deletes-link-study-claimed-peer-groups-can/

Proof, that even with correct academic research*, going against the trend is seen as anti-trans. You can't discuss these topics, because the people who are involved in it scream louder and shout down any ideas, thoughts or open discussions about it. People don't want that hassle, so I can understand why it's removed, but people have to start taking a stance against the shouting down of everything that might challenge the beliefs.

Also, middle-finger-lg.png is my pronoun. Not my fault if you don't know how to pronounce it.

*In my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Probably already been said, but what an efficient way to filter out freaks. Let them go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

JCDUB wrote: »
    I've never got this "they" business. "They" is plural. A person is singular. So surely if a person wants a gender neutral/non-specific pronoun he/she would use "it?"

Surely youve heard they being used as a singular pronoun before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Published today as a letter in the Times (UK)
    I am the governor who resigned from the Tavistock board after Dr David Bell wrote a report containing staff concerns about the rush to medical intervention, which bypassed thorough psychological evaluation.

I did so because I believed the trust tried to bury these important concerns about an experimental treatment of vulnerable children. It also displayed its prejudice by trying to discredit Dr Bell, a respected clinician, and the staff he spoke to.

The treatment of gender- dysphoric children has become highly politicised and, in many ways, operates outside good medical practice. There is pressure to view patients as consumers who have a choice over their gender, rather than people with underlying conflicts about themselves and their relationship with society.

In the absence of long-term outcome studies, services often quote Dutch research that found positive results for transition, ignoring the small size of the cohort. Ten other studies show that 80%-90% of gender-dysphoric children desist in their wish for social or medical transition if given psychological support.

We do not know why there has been such a rapid rise in late-onset gender dysphoria in girls in the past five years, and we show little interest in the damage done by treatment. When I was governor, the Tavistock was not following up children it had seen, and yet we are carrying on as if we know what we are doing.

The mental health services will look back at this episode as another dark chapter in the treatment of people with psychological difficulties.

Marcus Evans, psychoanalyst, former deputy clinical director in adolescent and adult clinical services at the Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust

Advertisement