Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Down Royal Marathon Co Antrim - Oct 24th 2020

Options
  • 15-09-2020 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Just a heads up re a marathon, half marathon and 10k we are holding at the Down Royal Race course on Oct 24th.

Its 4 laps of a flat, safe, road course, 2 laps for the half and 1 lap for the 10k. Getting officially tomorrow and traffic management authorised and passed on Friday.

It will go ahead as the latest guidance in NI only relates to social gatherings and does not affect competitive sport.

Its the latest in a series of races we have had at the venue since July 18th, insured and permitted by Athletics NI.

It will open for entries in the middle of next week once all the paper work is signed off.

Keep an eye on the FB page for details.

https://www.facebook.com/ChampionChipIre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Is it AIMS certified?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Its not AIMS certified as we only put the idea together since the Covid situation kicked in.

It will be certified as an accurate distance by Athletics NI. Its being measured today by their recognised course measurer and a certificate issued in a few days.

I have permission from the Police Service, we will get the Traffic Management approved on Friday and the permits and insurance will be coming from Athletics NI.

It will be the 7th event we will have hosted this summer each one with multiple distances on offer. None were cancelled or postponed. There have been no Covid cases or contacts traced to anyone at the events and we abide by all the Govt guidance on social distancing etc.

In NI there are no limits on how many can take part but we do have to start in waves over the timing mats to maintain social distancing.

The previous races have had runners from Wexford, Sligo, Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan, Wales, Scotland, Kent and Isle of Man.

Entries have now opened for the Oct 24th event. Its fully licensed with permits and insurance from Athletics NI. Its our 8th event since July 18th and there has been NO Covid 19 cases linked in any way to any of the previous events.

The 3 distances in the morning have separate start areas and locations to assist with social distancing.

The Marathon is 4 laps of a 10k route, all on roads round the race course, half marathon is 2 laps and the 10k is one lap.

Use it as your virtual run for Galway, Dublin, London or any other event you have missed out on.

If its cancelled you will get a full refund.

The latest restrictions in NI only relate to social gatherings and competitive runs are not affected.

Enter through this link. https://online.athleticsni.org/ps/event/ChampionChipIrelandRunningSeriesEvent8DownRoyal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

My club mate is entering it. He was wondering how hilly is the course?

Elevation as per Mapometer

Elevation.pdf

• Advertisement

Entries coming in nicely now. 30% are from outside NI. It will be our 8th one since the middle of July and all have been safe and well received.

Its accurately measured and certified so its one of the few chances to get your GFA time recorded in 2020.

You can also use it as your virtual run for Galway, Dublin, DUNE etc.

Tommy Hughes has already signed up to take a tilt at the Over 60s age best for the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Elevation as per Mapometer

Elevation.pdf

Not as flat as I hoped. :(

Well I have good news coming early next week. I have a dead flat road course in the same area which we are going to announce asap once we get it measured on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 The_Geezer

i take it, this will be on a different date then?

The_Geezer wrote: »
    i take it, this will be on a different date then?

Date stays the same at Oct 24th, start times a bit later as we don't have to contend with traffic management, PSNI etc so Marathon about 9am, Half about 9.15am, 10 and 5k at about 1pm.

If you find the racecourse on Google maps and then look East at the nearest piece of real estate wit enclosed roads etc then thats it.

All will be revealed mid week once we get the event on Oct 10th closed off.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Just to clarify as I was going to do a recce of tge course this weekend. Is the original route now scrapped? Tia

Thanks for that. Just to clarify as I was going to do a recce of tge course this weekend. Is the original route now scrapped? Tia

Yes original route is no longer in use and you cant access the new route without permission.

We will measure it on Monday and then release the details plus the name of the sponsor we are working on at present.

Hoping to have a 7km lap so it will be 6 laps for the full marathon distance, dead flat, traffic free, handy to the A1 and M1 and a slightly later start time to make getting there less of an issue.

Cheers. Looking forward to it

The Down Royal Festival of Running is still gong ahead on Oct 24th but we have moved locations just round the corner to the iconic Maze Prison site and re branded as the Lisburn Festival of Running. Course was officially measured on Monday with Tommy Hughes in attendance to offer his thoughts on the layout. Its a 5.5k lap, flat as a pancake, smooth tarmac roads, no traffic. Tommy is going for the age group world record over the marathon distance and its the ideal location for it, just needs the right weather conditions.

There have been no cases linked in any way with any of the running events in NI so I am confident the event will go ahead even if tighter restrictions are imposed on indoor locations and team sports like no spectators.

If it is called off you will get a full and immediate refund. The latest event is this coming Saturday at Down Royal and will go ahead as planned.

https://online.athleticsni.org/ps/event/ChampionChipIrelandRunningSeriesEvent8Lisburn

We had our latest event at Down Royal yesterday, went off without a hitch, and we had a usual group of friends from ROI who came along and stayed safely distanced and ran their races.

The deadline to get a t shirt guaranteed in your size and a medal on the 24th is 9am on Monday coming. We had enough medals for everyone at the Shanes Castle event just about. We probably will have enough t shirts for entries up to Friday next but its not certain after Monday when I put the order in.

The marathon and half are on the same time in the morning so you would be running along with about 200 runners round a 5.5k lap if you do either of those and they start are in separate locations with loads of room to socially distance.

The 10k and 5k are later in the day to reduce the numbers on the route at any one time. I'd expect about 200 in each but the 10k is at 1pm and the 5k at 2pm to allow the 10k runners to finish and disperse.

We have plans in place to have more races at Down Royal and Maze over Nov and Dec so if the 24th is out for you I will post later in Oct re those planned dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

We had our latest event at Down Royal yesterday, went off without a hitch, and we had a usual group of friends from ROI who came along and stayed safely distanced and ran their races.

The deadline to get a t shirt guaranteed in your size and a medal on the 24th is 9am on Monday coming. We had enough medals for everyone at the Shanes Castle event just about. We probably will have enough t shirts for entries up to Friday next but its not certain after Monday when I put the order in.

The marathon and half are on the same time in the morning so you would be running along with about 200 runners round a 5.5k lap if you do either of those and they start are in separate locations with loads of room to socially distance.

The 10k and 5k are later in the day to reduce the numbers on the route at any one time. I'd expect about 200 in each but the 10k is at 1pm and the 5k at 2pm to allow the 10k runners to finish and disperse.

We have plans in place to have more races at Down Royal and Maze over Nov and Dec so if the 24th is out for you I will post later in Oct re those planned dates.

With respect your group from ROI are taking the f*cking piss mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

With respect your group from ROI are taking the f*cking piss mate.

But the rules don't apply to me... Doing no harm... Kept a safe distance... Blah blah

Have enter the marathon, just wondering what way aid stations will work now we are in covid times

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Eamando1981

Hi Championchip

with regard to future events in Nov & Dec do you think any of these will be full marathon distance?

Thanks

Have enter the marathon, just wondering what way aid stations will work now we are in covid times

As it stands we cannot provide water etc ourselves but we will have tables at the end of the lap for you to place your water bottles on and use as required. The start, finish and the car park are in an area 100m apart so you can easily get your stuff sorted before the off.

• Advertisement

Hi Championchip

with regard to future events in Nov & Dec do you think any of these will be full marathon distance?

Thanks

Planning to have another full marathon on December 29th in the Prison Heritage site.

As it stands we cannot provide water etc ourselves but we will have tables at the end of the lap for you to place your water bottles on and use as required. The start, finish and the car park are in an area 100m apart so you can easily get your stuff sorted before the off.

Or a supporter allowed to hand water supplies??????

Yes a supporter is fine to hand out supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Still going ahead after the new restrictions announced?

The key phrase that was used is (except for allowed outdoor sporting events where the relevant number for that will continue to apply). There is no change in the status of the events as they are very very low risk so will proceed unless other external factors preclude this like a travel ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

The key phrase that was used is (except for allowed outdoor sporting events where the relevant number for that will continue to apply). There is no change in the status of the events as they are very very low risk so will proceed unless other external factors preclude this like a travel ban.

Are you turning away runners that are travelling from ROI given they shouldn't be leaving their county?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Can this thread be closed, it's a piss take at this stage.

py wrote: »
    Are you turning away runners that are travelling from ROI given they shouldn't be leaving their county?

I am not the Garda or the PSNI and thus would not try to control what someone else chooses to do. Besides it would be impossible to stop anyone from travelling and some of the runners registered to a club in ROI actually live in NI.

"Can this thread be closed, it's a piss take at this stage."

I'm in favour of healthy debate and exchange of ideas, facts and beliefs but most of all free choice, as long as that free choice is exercised responsibly. The events we have held to date have been highly praised for the way we have conducted them and how safe people felt at them, that's why the numbers are growing each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Even Mourne Skyline have cancelled their race now.

I would argue the reason numbers have grown is due to the fact you are the only people willing to profiteer when all other race organisers are acting responsibly and cancelling races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I am not the Garda or the PSNI and thus would not try to control what someone else chooses to do. Besides it would be impossible to stop anyone from travelling and some of the runners registered to a club in ROI actually live in NI.

"Can this thread be closed, it's a piss take at this stage."

I'm in favour of healthy debate and exchange of ideas, facts and beliefs but most of all free choice, as long as that free choice is exercised responsibly. The events we have held to date have been highly praised for the way we have conducted them and how safe people felt at them, that's why the numbers are growing each time.

But you are not discouraging people from taking part who will break local restrictions to take place. Lets say a cluster happens due to race goes ahead because you let everyone from everywhere attend. Would you feel guilty? Or you just happy to see the cash coming in?

Race should be postponed

Advertisement