Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Down Royal Marathon Co Antrim - Oct 24th 2020

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

As long as the registrations keep rolling in eh......

522481378-ted-di10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

As long as the registrations keep rolling in eh......

522481378-ted-di10.jpg

That’s a bit unfair, especially if he’s running a compliant event, I wouldn’t travel to it personally but it should be more about personal responsibility rather than placing that onus on event organisers.

For example while Dublin & Donegal were in lockdown should events in other counties have been cancelled?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Eamando1981

Folks

I done the event at Shanes castle a couple of weeks ago, and it was very well organised and all the procedures seem to be adhered to.

I didn't feel unsafe at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I was registered for this myself but dropped out last week and a refund was issued right away, no questions asked, no attempt to 'defer' my entry to a later event, as many other races have done. To accuse the organiser of profiteering is unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

mloc123 wrote: »
    Even Mourne Skyline have cancelled their race now.

I would argue the reason numbers have grown is due to the fact you are the only people willing to profiteer when all other race organisers are acting responsibly and cancelling races.

Do you know why Skyline was cancelled? It was not because of any directive from Athletics NI.

ANI have agreed that all events that had a valid permit up to Nov 7th can go ahead. The insurance company have confirmed to me in writing that they are happy for us to proceed.

I met the venue managers today for my event on the 24th and they are happy to proceed.

I take exception to your remarks about profiteering. The cost of the entry for my event on the 24th has not altered at all. If I had decided to gouge then I would have stuck up the prices, I didn't. All events aim to at least break even or make a profit.

Mine are no different but in these times the costs of holding an event are crazy but I still think the fees I'm charging are fair and I have not had anyone voicing a complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Do you know why Skyline was cancelled? It was not because of any directive from Athletics NI.

No.. it was based on common sense and the fact that the current guidance in the north says to avoid all unnecessary travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

mloc123 wrote: »
    No.. it was based on common sense and the fact that the current guidance in the north says to avoid all unnecessary travel.

Is that you Dr Tony Holohan? Dr Michael McBride wont like you sticking your nose in or straying into his jurisdiction you know.
    You were bitching about the Mourne Skyline last week too and thats gone now so give it a rest you big oul wans blouse you werent even signed up for this event!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is that you Dr Tony Holohan? Dr Michael McBride wont like you sticking your nose in or straying into his jurisdiction you know.
    You were bitching about the Mourne Skyline last week too and thats gone now so give it a rest you big oul wans blouse you werent even signed up for this event!

Good man... you go and do as you please.

New guideline issued by govt on 14th does not affect the race , its still going ahead. Training groups are reduced from 30 to 15 persons, gyms stay open for one to one so its implied that travel to those activities is allowed for personal health and well being as well as to a competitive event.

The key phrase in the guidance was in brackets

No mass events involving more than 15 people (except for allowed outdoor sporting events where the relevant number for that will continue to apply)

Anyone who wants to settle scores and bicker pls stay off the thread so I can use it to inform others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

New guideline issued by govt on 14th does not affect the race , its still going ahead. Training groups are reduced from 30 to 15 persons, gyms stay open for one to one so its implied that travel to those activities is allowed for personal health and well being as well as to a competitive event.

No mass events involving more than 15 people (except for allowed outdoor sporting events where the relevant number for that will continue to apply)

Anyone who wants to settle scores and bicker pls stay off the thread so I can use it to inform others.

If you don't want feedback maybe you should use your own website rather than a discussion forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Congratulations on your purchase of boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Best of luck with the race hopefully nothing changes and it goes ahead. It could make the difference to one persons life taking part in it.
    Cant compete myself but will keep an eye on future events you organise when the covid situation improves and travelling becomes an option again.

We were informed this morning that due to the C19 restrictions that are now in place, that the event on Saturday 24th must be postponed to another date. It has taken 6 years to get access to the Maze Long Kesh site for a running event and we are deeply disappointed that it has to be postponed. We have been promised that access will be granted for future events so at least we can look forward to that.

We are now planning for events after the current restrictions, which are due to end in mid November, so all entrants for Saturday will have their entries deferred automatically to December 5th which will take place again at Maze Long Kesh with 4 distances as before. This date is also after the suggested closure of the restrictions in place in ROI so entrants from all over Ireland can still come and take part.

Provisional dates are as follows:

November 14th or 21st - Under age races for Under 10, 12s, 14s and 16s boys and girls plus 5k and 10k races at Down Royal

December 5th - Lisburn Festival of Running with marathon, half marathon, 10k and 5k (Maze Long Kesh)

December 19th - Under age races for Under 10, 12s, 14s and 16s boys and girls plus 5k and 10k races at Down Royal

December 29th - EIKON Festival of Running with marathon, half marathon, 10k and 5k (Maze Long Kesh)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Trampas

We were informed this morning that due to the C19 restrictions that are now in place, that the event on Saturday 24th must be postponed to another date. It has taken 6 years to get access to the Maze Long Kesh site for a running event and we are deeply disappointed that it has to be postponed. We have been promised that access will be granted for future events so at least we can look forward to that.

We are now planning for events after the current restrictions, which are due to end in mid November, so all entrants for Saturday will have their entries deferred automatically to December 5th which will take place again at Maze Long Kesh with 4 distances as before. This date is also after the suggested closure of the restrictions in place in ROI so entrants from all over Ireland can still come and take part.

Provisional dates are as follows:

November 14th or 21st - Under age races for Under 10, 12s, 14s and 16s boys and girls plus 5k and 10k races at Down Royal

December 5th - Lisburn Festival of Running with marathon, half marathon, 10k and 5k (Maze Long Kesh)

December 19th - Under age races for Under 10, 12s, 14s and 16s boys and girls plus 5k and 10k races at Down Royal

December 29th - EIKON Festival of Running with marathon, half marathon, 10k and 5k (Maze Long Kesh)

ROI will still be under restrictions come December. They hope level 3 so that was restriction to county of living so I wouldn’t be planning on some turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Trampas wrote: »
    ROI will still be under restrictions come December. They hope level 3 so that was restriction to county of living so I wouldn’t be planning on some turning up.

We’ll be under Some form of restrictions right through 2021- if we have to go through Level 5 For 6 weeks which takes us to the beginning of Dec (3 races mentioned were after this date) so people can ‘save Christmas’ I don’t think it’s unreasonable that People are allowed to run a race out in the open air in December with precautions taken.

Thanks for the update ChampionChip, I will be signing up to get me though the next 6 weeks!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I am not the Garda or the PSNI and thus would not try to control what someone else chooses to do. Besides it would be impossible to stop anyone from travelling and some of the runners registered to a club in ROI actually live in NI.

"Can this thread be closed, it's a piss take at this stage."

I'm in favour of healthy debate and exchange of ideas, facts and beliefs but most of all free choice, as long as that free choice is exercised responsibly. The events we have held to date have been highly praised for the way we have conducted them and how safe people felt at them, that's why the numbers are growing each time.

I believe where numbers are now, the correct thing is to cancel this event. You will have plenty more events down the line but sometimes we go to do the correct thing.

I believe where numbers are now, the correct thing is to cancel this event. You will have plenty more events down the line but sometimes we go to do the correct thing.

But the event isn't on now.

It's the 21st of October- the event is on in early December and the country is going into lockdown to get numbers down so we can have some normality in December:confused:

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

Is there a new link to register for this race? Thanks for update

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

But the event isn't on now.

It's the 21st of October- the event is on in early December and the country is going into lockdown to get numbers down so we can have some normality in December:confused:

The north aren't going into Lockdown though.

The north aren't going into Lockdown though.

I suppose the point I’m trying to make is if race organisers give up and don’t try to arrange events then we’ll be left without any races if and when there is a drop in cases and therefore a window for events opens up. Giving up and cancelling everything months in advance is just a depressing, hopeless thought.

• Advertisement

Plans are as follows, depending on permits and permissions:

Nov 14th or 21st, (depends on restrictions being lifted as planned on Friday 13th) Down Royal Racecourse Under age races for 10s, 12s, 14s and 16s plus 5k and 10k.

Dec 5th Maze Long Kesh site - rescheduled event that was due on Oct 24th, will re open soon for new entries. I will post here when it does.

Dec 19th - Down Royal Racecourse Under age races for 10s, 12s, 14s and 16s plus 5k and 10k.

Dec 29th and 30th - Maze Long Kesh - 2 day festival with marathon, half marathon, 10k and 5k on 29th and on 30th Wheelchair races plus Under age races.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

So event did go ahead on 24th as planned but organiser said it was cancelled here.

Gary o hanlon must not have known it was a secret race https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/story.php?story_fbid=3791488027542021&id=473086772715513

We always planned the original event on the 24th would be centred around Tommy's attempt to break the record and beat the 2.30 barrier. Then when we were called off due to the restrictions we went to Plan B which was an invite only race on the 25th at another venue to let him try there. Invites were only sent to those who had entered the original event. We had to keep it quiet as we were forbidden from having spectators and had to keep it to only 15 persons including the officials.

We went for the 25th as the weather forecast was better for the Sunday rather than the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Event was cancelled, invite-only race went ahead. Only 9 or 10 runners I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

How is this looking for December 5th? I have entered, wondering whether it's unlikely now?

It cannot proceed on the 5th of Dec due to the new restrictions announced last night by Govt. These would end on Dec 11th.

I have an event booked for the 19th at Down Royal so am looking to see if we can utilize that date and venue for the entrants from Dec 5th.

We will update the FB page and send out emails once we have a clearer picture.

Advertisement