Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I keep this updated?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

left it to long to update this again!

Thursday
    interval run session with peter kern T3 club session, about 20 mins w/up then

3*800m
    3*600m
    3*400m
    3*200m

cool down

30 min cycle

Friday
    1 hour turbo session, intervals again

roughly i think the session was:

5*1 min at 320 watts on with 1 min at 280-290 watts as off
    3*8mins as best i could at 300 watts+, legs a bit tired from the run session night before so i slacked for a bit in this

2*1 min max power looking for 500 + watts i think

swim - 8*400m, varying between normal swim, paddles, paddles + PB, and PB

Saturday

2 hour easy bike with wife
    1 hour easy run with wife

Sunday
    2 hours 45 on bike easy enough, took in part of the leinster loop
    2k swim in a rush

Monday
    off

Tuesday
    if you read this log you will note that since May i have been complaining about stomach issues, went and got a scope done a few weeks ago for bacterial infection and it was all clear, started to feel a bit better but still in the mornings on most days i would feel quite ill, also i was up and down in terms of energy levels and this has impacted by racing and training to a degree.

2 weeks ago i decided to go and get tested for food intolerances (blood testing), results back today and have a severe dairy intolerance/egg intolerance with some milder wheat intolerances, the doc says that since May he thinks that i have been "poisoning myself". so hopefully at this stage i know what the problem is and can move my diet to suit my tolerances. pretty big step as i would drink a few litres of milk a week, love cheese, ice-cream, cream, yoghurt and butter. anyhow onwards from here and hopefully if i get my diet right i might get back to normal feeling eventually!

Tuesday
    Taper week for race saturday
    45 mins easy run
    1 hour o/w swim in seapoint and no jellyfish to be seen

Wednesday
    1 hour turbo - legs are sluggish for some reason so took it easy as race at weekend

Thursday
    45 mins swim - nothing too hard just a solid effort on 400m repeats
    run - about an hour - some speed work so 6*200m fast 200m easy 45 seconds rest followed by 5*100m fast 100m easy 100m fast 100m easy, and a cool down. didnt want to go hard or do too much

Friday
    25 min swim
    about 50 mins easy on the bike

hopeful for tomorrow but wish i felt a bit fresher, will go hard and see what happens and hopefully i surprise myself

Saturday
    race day - the Ballybay OD triathlon, wife did the sprint. First off I did not know what to expect with this race but have to say its very well organised and the course does not lack for anything. cant understand why more would not do it - in comparison to a race like tri the hook its light years ahead and all compliments to Muckno triclub

swim 23 mins
    swim was in a small (relatively speaking) lake, 1.5km around the banks of the lake, water was calm and conditions perfect. started to the left as i think this was the shortest distance to bouy 1, gun goes and I go off as hard as i can looking for feet, one comes by and is gone like a shot, really flying he was. out on my own then and just concentrate on keeping the tempo high without overdoing it. get to 1st turn point and a stand-up paddle boarder starts to lead me around, i follow and thinking he is going dead straight i dont sight so much, my mistake as he was not hugging the bouys on the long back stretch of the lake so i swam a bit extra, round the last bouy and am feeling pretty strong but the swim feels long in length but its the same for all.

bike 1 hour 3 mins
    out in 2nd place to a big cheer from the crowd and the guys doing the sprint tri, first time for that and its a nice pick me up, TI guys says 4 mins 40 secs down and i think holy fcuk whoever is leading must swim like a beast. onto bike and dessie duffy joins me and we swap the lead on the way to the turnaround and meet the guy coming back, not much to report on the bike, it was an undulating course and not what i would describe as a quick course at all, slightly long but not by much. i cant shake dessie and he cant shake me or else he remembers he can run much better than me and is happy to share the work at the front. get to 30k and told 6 mins down. on the way back to town i see big lead on 4th so i know for me its pretty safe for 3rd with no prospect of beating either of the other two. lead guy did 1 hour 1 min on the bike, impressive on that course i must say

run 43 mins ?
    cant run and not much need to on the day but i still was trying my best which is not great in fairness, first 5k in 21 mins and the balance in the 2nd. was tiring out quite badly by the end and happy to be done for the day

winner was a guy called david graham, looked him up after and he was apparently a national swimmer, national tri champ and duathlon champ in 2009, he is still in very good shape today! wife won sprint and was 6th overall including the men so good for her

Sunday
    cycle to phoenix park and back to watch DCT. the 3 podium finishers and the other top guys were very impressive

Monday
    1 hour easy turbo and 25 min run, legs quite tired

Tuesday
    1 hour hill repeats on bike, 1 hour o/w swim

Wednesday
    45 min pool swim in bluepool in monkstown, not the kind of pool that its possible to really swim in but stuck it out for the allotted time anyway

30 mins on bike

35 minute run, still quite tired from the race, meant to go longer but decided no point

Thursday
    club run session, warm up then 10*1k with 800m at just below 4min per k and 200m easy just continuous no breaks

30 mins on bike

• Advertisement

Friday
    swim - 45 minutes
    1 hour turbo

Saturday
    3 hours on bike - tired and i must have eaten something i shouldnt have and not feeling great at all
    45 min run

Sunday
    2 hours on bike
    30 min o/w swim

Monday
    1 hour swim in bluepool

Tuesday
    1 hour turbo - intervals
    1 hour o/w swim

Wednesday
    2 hours on tri bike - some intervals - power is ok and felt strong enough
    30 min run - foot at me slightly meant to go longer but didnt

The final update for tri season 2014
    Long time since last update, two races and a holiday meant no training log.

Race 1 was Lough Key sprint triathlon. Did a nice prep for the race and travelled up on the Saturday staying overnight in local B&B. Day before did 1k pool swim, 20 min run and when i got to Lough Key an hour easy enough on the bike checking out the ins and outs of the park and generally faffing around.

Morning of race, lovely weather, calm and nice temp. in wave 1, start in line with the first bouy slightly right of the main pack, went out hard and merged with the front pack prior to the 1st bouy, got a lovely draft until the 2nd bouy, rounded the bouy and jumped onto another guys legs who was travelling well but with better sighting than the first guy, good move as it turned out. delighted with the swim and came out in 12 mins or so (my times are not online for some reason but i asked the guy in the van at the time and he had them, i cant remember the exact seconds at this stage).

maybe about 10th guy out not sure

onto the bike and started out well, passed a few very young guys and girls who swam well but were pretty slow on the bike and were the most determined drafters i have seen yet! i think 2 got DQd at the end. cycle was not going to plan, in a lot of pain with my stomach again for some reason, and had to ease back a bit, very frustrating again but patience is needed with it or some i am told. this hampered me a bit, when the pain went i was feeling very strong on the bike but when it came back it was a problem. bike 38 mins (its a long sprint bike on a rough enough surface). not happy but arrived into t2 in 4th i think

run - pain was back at this stage and i couldnt push it at all for the first 3k and was almost at a jog, the last 2k it improved some and i pushed on a bit but by then i was about 10th which i think is where i finished.

overall not happy and very frustrated, happy with the swim tactics and awareness though, best swim of the year i think

next week on holidays, did some training, eating out meant my diet was not as good as it needs to be in terms of avoiding the foods i need to avoid, this leaves me not feeling so good at times.

on Sunday i did the Athy Powerade Sprint triathlon, not a big field, 80-90 people i would estimate. not chip timed and times not out yet.

swam ok, out 1st with 2 guys on my feet

bike - went ok - 10km out 10km back, a little over 30mins i think. big lead at the 10km mark

run - ran ok, 1 min 20 sec lead (est) at turnaround, jog back

happy enough to end the year like that but no real competition so all relative.

will restart blog when i start training properly again which will be when i think my stomach issues are finally ok which hopefully wont be too long as its been going on since May!

looking forward to 2015 now!

A quick update to the training log, should be useful for me to record where I am at to look back in a few weeks. Back training again since October in an organised fashion, am building a house at the moment so weekends are pretty tied up curtailing my training some, should be moved into the house in about 5 weeks I think, Christmas was the original deadline....

goal race - double Olympic in triathy and maybe an ironman of some kind, no real goals other than the double olympic

Swim
    There is a good pool only a few minutes drive from the new house, 25m with lanes and opens 6am-9.30pm mon-fri and 10 - 5.30 on weekends. this has meant that i have been able to do more swimming than normal the last few weeks and i have been putting in some time, did a few 5k and 4k swims over Christmas and the new year. i think its fair to say i have never actually been comfortable in the pool heretofore, this is despite swimming now for about 5 years, i never really swam enough, i did do a lot of coached swim sessions but i was regularly swimming hard just to keep up with the other guys and i think that was part of my problem, i was always just on the edge and actually did not have a 1st gear. all the swimming on my own let me relax, learn to swim without resorting to my pull bouy which was a major crutch of mine, and learn to really think about what i was doing and try to work out the problem areas in my stroke. I have had plenty of instruction but because i was always trying to keep up i never really put that instruction into action until now on a consistent basis

commenced some speed work last weekend, nothing too much, 10*50m off 1 minute, 5*100m off 2 mins but i am hitting better times now with less perceived effort and overall swimming a lot better i think.

today's speed session i did 12*50m off 1 minute in on 40 seconds, nothing impressive there but i was much more comfortable than when i would have done the same times last year. the aim is to bring these down below 40 secs and increase the repeats and over time lessen the rest. then did a 200m TT and came in on 3 mins exact, didnt actually push it enough, i think the next few weeks will see me bring my 400m TT time down from something like 6.15 below 6 mins and i think i could actually do that now based on how i am feeling when swimming.

also learned to tumble turn, not great at it yet and when i am swimming hard i mess them up but over the next few months should get them pretty nailed on

heres hoping the swim improvements keep coming and actually translate from pool to open water which i think they should as i am all arms no legs and get a big help from the wetsuit

cycle
    cycling volume is well down with the house work, last few weeks have averaged about 7 hours of turbo a week with no long weekend cycle, power is slightly down but i am 6-8kg lighter than when i was at my strongest on the bike last year, also have only really been working hard on intervals the last few weeks and seeing good improvements. todays session was 1 hour when i got back to the flat and was

10 mins warm-up
    1 minute at 430 watts (or so)
    5 minutes easy
    repeat until 50 mins are up then 10 min cool down

this is not the norm for me and usually i would go for something like 8 mins at 320 watts but i decided that i want to start really doing something at a higher range and will work towards lengthening out the 1 minute interval

i find the biggest consequence of the weight loss is losing some leg strength. last year i think my 5 minute max power was 398 watts, if i was to do the same test now i think i would fall short of that, just not as much leg strength as i had. maybe that will come back with some more intense intervals over the next few weeks but on such a low bike volume i am not sure. i actually have no idea currently on what my 1 hour power would be

also not sure on what impact the lack of long cycles over the winter will have on racing, i should be able to start some long outdoor work mid-late February but for the next few weeks i think the turbo is probably the best i can hope for

run
    weight loss helps running, havent done any testing of what kind of speed i am running intervals at or capable of now, running maybe 40-50k a week, mixture of a longer run, a few shorter run and the club interval session on thursday night

i will update the log over the next few weeks but time pressure means that less time for logging and more time working and on house stuff..........goes off now to pick out light fittings for the front door...!

weeks from january to now a quick update

House almost built thank god and should be moving in this week, moved out of apartment in dublin and temporarily in with the in-laws which encourages me to stay out of the house and do some training

training has been consistent rather than anything else, typical week has been about 8 hours of turbo, 10-12km of swimming and 40-50km of running. all disciplines at various intensities, i think cycling has seen the biggest volume reduction from last years training but swim and run volume is probably slightly up. happy enough with progress and i think i am still improving at each discipline

last weekend i did my first duathlon in 3 years, it was the narraghmore duathlon the first in the series of 3 races and i have registered for all as they are about 5km from my new house. i thought i might give duathlon a shot as i can run a bit better having lost some weight.

the course was 3km run, 20km bike and 3km run

run 1 i started off and intended to keep it solid which i did, a few guys bolted from the gun and opened a gap, the eventual winner went way off the front, he was a good runner and did the 3km in 9 mins and change i think. my solid pace reeled in a few towards the end of the 3km and i think i was about 7th to T1 in 11 mins 16 secs, not sure on the exact placing. hopped on the bike and after about 2km i was in 2nd position and going at a decent pace, didnt work overly hard as i wasnt sure where i was at in terms of fitness, did the 20km in 32 mins and change about 10 seconds slower than the winner, was happy enough with the effort and its not a really quick course as it is lumpy and twisty. 2nd into T2.

legs a bit heavy for the 2nd run which was 12 mins 28 seconds, slightly longer than 3km as a bit of a run from transition but disappointed to run it that poorly, finished in 3rd after losing a big lead but nothing new from me there

onwards now to finish the house and hopefully settle into it and a new consistant training regime with more biking than i have been doing. might join the local tri club as the thing i will miss most is a decent group interval session

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice start to the season. Best of luck with the house move. Stress central this week I'd say

• Advertisement

yep, if i get one more sob story from a tradesman about how his van broke down and he cant get to me this week i will be the one breaking down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I feel your pain. I've done 2 self builds. Be thankful they're communicating. It's the ones that stop answering the phone that drive me nuts!!! All the best :)

Training has at last found a more settled routine and last week and in particular this week, hope to keep the log a bit more up to date, so training so far this week:

Monday
    am - swim 2.4k before work, 6*400m, normal and paddles alternating

pm 90 min run

30 min turbo

Tuesday
    1 hour turbo hard, 5*1 min hard 1 min off, 3*8mins hard with 4 mins easy in between. the balance of time was w/up and short c/down

Wednesday
    am: 3k swim, 3*200m hard, 400m paddles and pull Bouy easy, 6*100m hard 400m pull bouy and paddles easy, 1000m paddles and pull bouy moderate

Lunch: 1 hour turbo easy

PM: 5*200m swim hard - 200m normal, 200m paddles, 200m pull bouy, 200m paddles and pull bouy 200m c/down

45 min easy run

Thursday
    AM: so far 1.8k swim easy enough, first 400m normal at a tempo, 400m paddles, 400m pull bouy, the balance was paddles and pull bouy. aim was not to tire myself out before my interval running later today

Thursday PM
    Interval run session, as i now live miles from anywhere i started this on my new to me treadmill but obviously its a pile of s8ite as i cracked the board on it and had to stop after the 1st km. drove to the gym and did 7*1km and 1*2km, worked really hard probably the most i have ever put into a run session, i find the treadmill running hard on the body and mind

Friday
    Busy at work so only 1 hour turbo

Saturday
    3 hour turbo

Sunday
    2 hour easy cycle, 45 mins swim, 45 mins run

Monday
    woke up with a severe dose of the sh*ts no idea where i picked this up but hopefully it is gone ASAP as i have a duathlon at the w/e

Tuesday
    Day 2 of the sh*ts, getting better and did a 15 min swim

Wednesday
    50 mins easy turbo, tried running but after 10 mins gave up as i was drained from the last 2 days, 30 mins easy swim

Thursday
    1 hour easy on the bike, ran for half an hour with 2 quick 1 km and then swam for an hour, energy levels still not enough to allow resumption of proper training.

Friday
    1 hour on the bike, picked up the wifes head cold so she is in the bad books, feeling better from stomach problem earlier in the week

Saturday
    90 mins on bike, 4k run, 1.5k swim, race tomorrow

Sunday

Narraghmore duathlon

3k run, 20k bike 3k run, apparently 230 people signed up and there was a good crowd there, again it was well organised and the weather was great

not sure how this race was going to go for me, if you asked me last Sunday i would have been confident but after having a crappy week i wasnt too optimistic, i like a race so i still wanted to do it

first 3k run was not to eventful, some guys seem to over extend themselves, i know i am not a good runner and just keep it as solid as i can. a few guys went on ahead, i caught a few guys towards the end who were dying badly and i counted 7 guys up ahead. not sure of time, wife shouted 11 mins at me as i went by so it was something around that

quick enough t1 but at the exit a marshall stopped me saying my helmet strap was loose, thats the way i have had it for years and there was no way i was wasting time trying to fix that with gloves on me, i dont like a tight helmet strap as i feel choked, i said it was fine and i went on my way not sure whether a DQ would be waiting for me on my return, in the end nothing happended. i was frustrated as i could see the guys going up the road and at time i didnt care about my strap

out on the bike, i knew the first few kms would tell me whether i was recovered or not and the legs unfortunately said no. a friend of mine was just in front of me, last race i put 90 secs into him on the bike and this time he was edging away from me. i found that a real tough few minutes mentally, i passed about 4 guys in that time but the reality was that i wouldnt have a good day. i settled into it when i accepted that i wasnt biking to the front and just decided to keep working at it as i could see the guy at the very front and i thought i was still catching him at least, it was slow but after 15km i caught him and moved into second with my friend gone on in 1st. nothing more to report about the bike, put more time into 3rd but there was no power today and 1st wasnt coming back to me.

into t2 and into the runners and out on the run, the guy i passed on the bike for 2nd overtook me again and at the 1.5km turnaround i couldnt see 4th so i kept it lit as best i could and ended up in 3rd, same result as the last time but i think it could have been 1st on a good day. i dont think i ran well but i dont have the times yet, last time i was 3rd i thought i did better on the day and i was actually happy with myself, probably today there was not as much competition so by default i ended up in 3rd and was a bit disappointed, my rational self tells me i had a bad week and to accept it, my chimp is fed up and inside i really thought i would do better

5 weeks now to the final race in the series, i want a good race the next day and hopefully a bit better luck as i didnt have any this time around

Monday
    AM: swim 1 hour, cant recall exactly what i did but tired from the race and it was nothing worth noting
    PM: slow 1 hour run, left groin was tight, resolved to not run for a few days to sort it out

Tuesday
    80 mins on bike tempo, lovely day for it. away then with wife to Monart Spa for the night, nice spot and all the time in the various rooms and plenty of stretching seems to have sorted out my groin problem

Wednesday
    1 hour turbo - intervals
    5*1 min on 1 min off
    3* 8 mins hard
    w/up and c/down

1500m swim

Thursday
    AM: 3k swim, main set was 7*400m alternating between normal swim, paddles and paddles and pull bouy
    PM: run, wife has started back training and today was her first time trying to run a bit quickly, i handt planned on doing intervals but in any event it was a short session:

2km warm up
    4*1km with 600m at 4 mins per k with wife then she jogged to the finish and i ran the rest of the 1k as hard as i could.
    approx 4km c/down easy run

Friday
    AM: 1 hour turbo easy, average about 200-220 watts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

good to hear she is training again

Peter -she starts later and later each year....! good job i stayed on the Cube and didnt take the Trek!

Friday
    PM - 3.7k swim

Saturday
    2.30hrs on turbo
    45 min run

Sunday
    2 hours steady on the bike followed by 30 mins of hill repeats and 30 mins tempo - total 3 hours
    1 hour run moderate effort

happy with my weeks work and hoping for a few more consistant and higher volume weeks coming up, still havent got rid of the cough but hopefully it will go.

Next week i want to work on my swim speed, do 2 hard bike interval sessions, one long run and one hard interval run session, if i hit these key sessions along with as much other biking and swimming and running as i can fit in it would be a good week.....

Monday
    early morning swim 45 mins, very tired as poor nights sleep so probably my worst swim session in a while, my 100m repeats off 2 mins were coming in between 1.30-1.35 which is not really where i should be and i put it down to lack of sleep and a decent weekends training

PM: 1 hour hard on turbo 2*20mins hard, 10 mins w/up and c/down, for some reason i felt great and was hammering away producing good power and not feeling like i was making an effort, polar opposite from my swim

Tuesday
    another poor nights sleep, guys in the house over the weekend finishing the stairs left the door open all day and now i have a small furry friend under the floor boards in my room and last night the little fcuker must have found some paper or a bag or something and made an awful racket, 3 traps set so hopefully i get him tonight ;-)

1 hour 10 min run
    20 mins bike, 20 mins working on core strength as my left knee is collapsing inwards when i run followed by a 20 min swim

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    70 min turbo, warm up,
    4*1 min solid, 1 mins easy
    16*1 min @ 400 watts , 1 min easy, 8 reps big gear 60 rpm, 8 reps at 80+ RPM
    c/down
    tough session!

Thurs
    AM circa 2km swim, some fast 100's and 200's, some easier longer pull bouy & paddles, aim was to do an easy session and i achieved that

PM:
    i have a major run weakness and its running at a high (for me) tempo for distances, i think comparably my ability to run short distances fast is better than my ability to run a longer distance fast. so i have never addressed this mainly due to laziness and hiding from stuff that i find hard and am no good at. i have resolved to address this on an on-going basis. so yesterday i identified a 5.2km loop that i thought was flat enough and i aimed for a time of say 19mins 30secs.

the loop was far from flat and was constantly up and down and my run developed into an absolute slog to even get to 20 mins, i did get the 5.2km done in 20 mins flat and in retrospect i am happy with that. i want to lengthen this run in time up to maybe 10km but will see how i am getting on

then i did 6*1km as hard as i could and after my earlier exertions i found this tough and was happy to be done.

running with me is a work in progress but if i stick at it for a few years i should improve

Friday
    AM - 1 hour turbo - easy

PM - 80 min swim, not sure on distance, meant to do about 5k but ended up getting out early with some leg cramps that wouldnt go away. session was mixture of 100s in on 1.30 off 2 mins, 50s and 200s. bit tired overall to do a real quality session

Saturday
    AM 1 hour turbo
    90 mins on bike
    30 mins turbo due to rain

PM: 40 min run - easy

Sunday
    2 hour turbo
    1.8km swim, main set 7*200m, some 200s easy some moderate effort

Monday
    AM - 1 hour swim

following Kurts challenge i did 100m all out, time 1 min 19secs. i think this is a new record for me, i think there is a bit more in the tank but will see in the next few weeks
    the rest was a few 100's off 2 mins and a few 50s off 1 min with some easy swimming in between

PM:
    Turbo - 1 hour
    14*1 min off one min on, on was looking for 400 watts plus, off was very easy maybe 170 watts.

50 min easy run - 10k on the treadmill

15 min s&c

1000m swim easy

Tuesday
    AM: swim 1 hour
    PM: 75 min run

Wednesday
    turbo 1 hour. fitted new Adamo saddle to TT bike and spent some of my time making adjustments to that, not much done and had to leave for a funeral. did some testing of max power (820 watts), 5 sec power (810 watts) and 1 minute power (530 watts). while i think the max and 5 secs are accurate i think i could do better for the 1 minute as i had a bit left at the end

Thursday
    AM - 1 hour swim. new 200m PB of 2.58. felt very sluggish this morning and the breakfast didnt settle in my stomach very well. might avoid breakfast b4 swims in the future. the target over the next few weeks is to get this time down to say 2.50 for 200m and ultimately break 6 mins for 400m which i am intent on doing as that to me represent a good return on training.

Thursday

PM: Spilling rain so into the gym and the treadmill

w/up for 10 mins
    3*2km at 15km per hour. i should have done these a bit harder than that as i was very comfortable, running on a treadmill usually seems harder and its like you are running quicker for less speed so thats why i put in 15km per hour.
    3*1km at 16km per hour, probably not taxing enough
    1*1km increasing from 16km per hour to 18km per hour

c/down - overall the session was a bit easy and the next day i am doing that on a treadmill i will push it on a bit

Friday
    10km run easy enough about 5 mins per km pace
    about 1 hour 20 mins on bike including a few hill repeats on my new hill

no evening swim as a good friend was acting in a play and i went to see that

Saturday
    1 hour turbo then about 2 hours 20 mins on bike outside, a few hills and then i did a few intervals on some flat bits

got overtaken then by instructions from on high to finally put together the bed in the spare room so had to go off dismantle the bed, bring it home and put it together again so rest of the day gone with that. not a great days training really

Sunday
    50 min turbo 2 hours 30 mins on bike pushing hard in parts
    15 minute easy run,planned to go longer but my treadmill is now properly fcuked as i heard a big crack and got off. have got a new board though so just need to put the effort into trying to fix it

Monday
    17k run. went out to stradbally woods which is a bit of a drive but a nice place to run. first loop was 6.?km and its hilly enough, did it with wife so solid if not a hard pace. then 2* 4.? k loops, again this is very hilly but running in the woods is really enjoyable. the 1st 4k loop i did at as a test and came in at 19 mins 4 secs. i think this is about 2 mins better than i have done this loop in the past and i have to say i was surprised to make that much of an improvement. did the second loop easy and then another 2.5km approx

i went to the pool then but was swimming like sh*te so didnt stay long at all, approx 1k swim. today i am going to do a good swim to make up for it!

1 hour turbo in the evening

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    got up this morning walking like john wayne following the hill running yesterday, bit surprised that i can train so regularly and still get muscle soreness but on reflection i dont run on hills too often and i did really push the downhills and uphills which were very steep in parts yesterday when i was doing my test.

1 hour turbo on lunch. main action was 5*1min on, 1 min off (no idea of power but i would estimate hard was 350 watts), 2*4 mins at 340 watts, 1*8 mins at 300 watts (turned on the PM for these ones).

the turbo session indicates to me that i am in decent bike nick as everything was as hard or as easy as i expected given the bit of muscle soreness that i did have this morning. bit of a confidence booster before the duathlon at the weekend. i did though take 10 watts off each target to account for the soreness. this week is supposed to be in my mental plan an easier week with more swimming than usual to rest up the legs a bit for the race and given that i have put in about 5-6 weeks of solid training a 5 day easier section is probably smart now.

Advertisement