Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I keep this updated?

Options
  • 03-12-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

why start this blog? motivation to keep going and a means of tracking what training i am doing week to week.

2/12/13 - Monday
    45 minute swim, focus on technique pointers from coached sessions and just to be able to swim without following a timed schedule and the pressure of a group. allows technique focus

1 hour turbo
    10 minutes warm up, 1 minutes at 450-500 watts then 4 minutes easy and repeat this work until 1 hour is up. later repeats felt hard.

40 minute run with wife after turbo, start easy and pick it up and then finish easy. distance circa 8k

Drink recovery shake and pretend to do core strenght

3/12/13 - Tuesday
    Turbo -
    10 min warm up,
    10 minutes of 1 minute at PE of 7.5 then at 1 minutes at PE of 6.
    3 mins easy
    8 minutes at PE of 7/8/9 so 320 watts, 350 watts, 370 watts
    4 mins easy
    4 mins easy
    and cool down

legs heavy after yesterdays turbo so no run today. Tomorrow is a big day with main swim set and also interval running so today is supposed to be a moderate day so i want to be fresh.

Drink recovery shake and do core strenght

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Wednesday 4 December

AM
    Swim 1hr 35mins, not sure on total distance, something less than 5k more than 4.5k

main set was pyramid, 800m, 600m, 400m, 200m, 200m, 400m, 600m and only did another 600m rather than 800m as session was over. mixture of normal swim and pull bouy & paddles and even some fins for the sets.

some decent swimmers in the group so the pace was quite high and spent my time either drafting or doing a pull for the mid tier swimmers from time to time when the faster swimmers drop the slower ones in a longer set.

group has decent work dynamic and there is not much messing about but still it is good fun at times

PM
    myself and wife did about an hour run, warm up then four 1 mile repeats and then a cool down. left hamstring tight so not full on for the miles coming in about 6 mins 10secs-15secs.

last week was in around 5mins 55secs - 6 mins 5secs during the Thursday night club session but there are a few guys there and its a bit more of a quasi race for the 1 mile repeat within reason

Thursday

lunch, 1 hour turbo with intervals http://connect.garmin.com/activity/412445029

legs not the best after yesterday but gave it a go and its better than doing nothing even though work is busy today

Friday

swim- club session Rathmines 25m pool. 1 hour 15 mins, total distance unknown, something above 3k but less than 4k, roughly as follows:

400m warm up
    4*50m sculling
    4*50m one arm drill with pull bouy
    4*50m one arm drill no pull bouy
    6*50m with bands
    3*100m hard
    5*200m, 50 hard, 100 steady 50 hard with 15 seconds rest
    3*100m hard 20 seconds rest
    and cool down

there was another set but i cant remember it now, just happy to get it done. drove from donegal to dublin prior to session and that actually takes your energy away...

Saturday 7 Dec

Turbo - 2hrs 10 mins
    Run - 1 hour

Sunday

Half an hour on turbo then out with wife for 2 hours 15 on the road. Purpose of the weekend rides is not to go hard as I pretty much go hard all week and just build up overall fitness.

Total time on bike 2 hrs 45 mins

Swim - 40 mins working on technique with 5*100m after the arm-up to rid the lactate from my legs from the cycle. Used my Finis Forearm Fulcrum to work on high elbow, i find this tool good but you need patience with it as its a bit awkward at first.

total training time for the day 3hrs 25mins

Total bike hours for the week - circa 8 hours
    Total swim time for the week - circa 3 hours 40 mins
    Total run time for the week - circa 2 hours 40 mins
    Total hours for week excluding core work - 14 hours 20 mins, not too bad considering i was travelling for large parts of Thursday and Friday

Observations: Bike some real power improvements over the last few months. Swim - much fitter than I was now I am doing two coached sessions a week, hopefully this will translate to speed. Run, surprised at how little running i am doing yet still seeing some decent improvements...!

Monday 9 December

turbo 1 hour 10 mins - recovery work
    Easy run - 35 mins
    Core strength and flexibility 20 mins

• Advertisement

Tuesday 10 Dec

very easy run 1 hour 13 mins focus on some base building in low HR zones. Probably went too easy but I was actually enjoying myself so thats all part of it...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/414393003

almost hard in technique terms to run this easy but felt like I had a load of energy which is surprising as yesterday I was dead tired. Resting up today for main swim of the week in the morning and some more biking hopefully.

main focus of running for me right now is trying to get my running form right and getting over my tweaked hamstring. Main run of the week is on Thursday night with an interval session.

swim tomorrow is supposedly a 1 hour TT which will be hell so I hope the coach forgets about that and does something else. swimming in the morning does not really suit me as I always get a sore back. swimming in the evening is fine and my back is never sore. I think it gets stiff overnight as I sleep.....off now to do some core strength stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

1 hour swim TT :eek: purpose ?? 400m TT followed by a 200m TT will determine your CSS (sweet spot) with some sums. Hurts but short! An hour is sadistic :eek:

Wednesday

Swim Westwood - 15mins warm up then 1 hour swim TT and then quick cool down. 1 hour distance 3.4k. Got stiff in shoulder and back after say 2k and died a death in the last 15 mins of the session. Very hard thing to do physically and mentally. Overall happy enough with that as pool swimming is far from my forte as i have a sh*t leg kick and poor body position which is helped big time by a wetsuit.

next week its a 1000m TT followed by a 5 min steady swim and an all out 200m TT. This is to be done on my own and apparently this 1 hour swim session and the TT next week will give me a measurable score (cant remember exactly what it this is supposed to tell me). Apparently we will repeat this in March to test progress.

this mornings swim http://connect.garmin.com/activity/414601143

turbo - 1 hour 20 mins, intervals. some messing setting up new Kurt Kinetic turbo so some blank minutes!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/414601150

evening - 38 minute run - easy ahead of intervals tomorrow

total day training time - circa 3 hours 30 mins

Thursday

Run - 30 mins of warm-up/drills/stretching

1 hour 500m at 4.10 per k then 500m at 4.50 per k to average out at about 4.30 per k. felt crap, got headache and stomach pain, could have been hangover from some big efforts yesterday. moan over. happy to be done for the day now.

tomorrow may bring a recovery bike effort and coached swim session which is supposedly going to be a 1.5k TT as if i havent done enough swim TT this week..! not really bothered as its a 25m pool and should be over quickly enough

going now for lie down on couch

Friday
    Fcuk me, yesterdays/Wednesdays efforts are still there and feeling nausea and just dead tired with headache.

Recovery bike got shelved and went for work Christmas lunch. 1 hour swim on Friday evening comprised of;

200m w/up
    1.5k TT
    200m sprints 4*50m
    100m cool down

took 1 hour waiting for the other guys to finish their TT and general faffing around. No energy, no drive, no willingness to hurt

Saturday

still not feeling the best, very sluggish and headache/nausea still lingering

1 hour easy on turbo followed by 1 hour of Sufferfest "The Hunted". Bike power was still ok despite tiredness but kept effort moderate to not make myself feel worse.

Short run 35 mins, again kept short in the hope of not making myself worse

• Advertisement

Sunday

1 hour 30 mins on turbo
    30 mins run
    1 hour 6 mins on turbo

feeling much better today

weekly totals
    swim 2.5 hours approx
    Run 5 hours approx
    bike 7 hours approx

total of swim/cycle/run hours for the week - 14.5 hours. Not the greatest week training with some illness mixed in. Next week the coached club sessions are not on due to Christmas and neither is my Wednesday morning swim so that and a wedding tomorrow is likely to result in a lower overall volume, definitely will end up swimming less simply due to having poor pool access.

Monday
    Day off - at wedding

Tuesday
    back from wedding, late night. circa 1 hour 20 min long run, slowly extending the "long" run trying to keep good technique

40 minute swim, Bluepool in Monkstown, hate that pool. slow swimmers in fast lane, cant get much done etc moan moan

Wednesday
    Cycle - outdoors 40 mins no Garmin, meant to go longer but got dark and no lights on bike

Turbo - 1 hour. 5*4 min intervals looking for circa 350 watts or so was the main work following short w/up and followed by long cool down. Garmin file:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/417170446

Thursday

45 minute swim, pool only opens for 45min swim so short one. main set 10*100m coming in on about 1.35 off on 2 mins. easy enough. 1*400m with PB & paddles, medium effort circa 1.36 per 100m pace.

40 minute medium paced run

25 minute turbo

Friday
    45 minute outdoor cycle, pushing good and hard

1 hour 15 min turbo. long intervals, circa 8 minutes in lenght, power on last 2 intervals better than expected given earlier big efforts on outdoor cycle. good long cool down.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/417732414

Saturday

Turbo - base building 1 hr 35 mins

Run - 1 hour 40 mins

Sunday 22 Dec

Turbo 1 hour 40 mins. Base building

Run 40 mins - slow to begin with and a tempo run to bring it home

Swim 40 mins. Poor swim week for me this week with coaching over and pools closing and Christmas social life taking over!

Weekly totals

Swim - circa 2 hours

Cycle - circa 6 hours 20 mins

Run - 4 hours 20 mins

total 12 hours 40 mins

Monday

Swim
    1 hour 35 mins - main set as follows

600m
    550m PB
    500m fins
    450m PB & P
    400m
    350m PB
    300m fins
    250m PB & P
    200m
    150m PB
    150m

Christmas week and poor weather for cycling and running for the next few days. Hard to know what training I will get done this week, not going to get hung up on it. Stephens day may bring a bike FTP power test and the next few days when pool opens again may bring a 400m swim TT...!

Tuesday 24 Dec
    Swim 40 minutes. Technique focus work on right arm. Always find swimming is a great barometer of how fresh i am, yesterday was a slog and the times were slow. Today i was a lot fresher and felt good enough but still slightly fatigued. If my 100m hard repeat efforts are not under 1min 30s per 100m i am not fully fresh.

Bike - spin class 1 hour, low cadence high resistance, nice to change away from Turbo for a bit. Not a fan of spinning but it makes for a change to have a different master setting the session.

run - 30 mins easy enough, focusing on knee drive and run form

as expected diet has gone to absolute crap but its hard to eat well when there is so much temptation

Wed 25th & Thurs 26th

two 1 hour runs down the canal path - nice frosty mornings.

Friday, Saturday & Sunday
    I originally thought on Christmas morning that i had bad hangover (which i probably had) but it turns out that i seem to have had some form of flu type illness, i am blaming the nephews who are always coughing and spluttering.... Training has being pretty limited so not much to report:

Friday - 1 hour turbo - really no energy pretty poor effort. Self and wife took night away in the Ferrycarrig hotel which had a nice enough pool so - 40 mins in the pool trying to warm up and some time in the Sauna and jacuzzi.

Saturday - 40 mins in the pool, no energy again and coughing up a lung, canned any idea of doing any hard work. 30 minute run down the canal path when got back to Athy

Sunday - feeling a little better but still coughing when i breath hard so that puts a stop to anything other than an easy effort. 30 mins on treadmill 15 minutes on exercise bike and 30 minute swim. Hopefully i can shake this cough and get back to some proper training tomorrow.

pretty pissed off that i have got this illness and its the 3rd time in the last few months and it seems to be the same thing revisiting me every few weeks

Monday 30 Dec
    A return to near normality following 5 days under the weather.

Turbo 1 hour 15 mins - Sufferfest Angels followed by longer cool down. Power meter says i am not back to normal just yet, perhaps 30-40 watts away but that will come back in the next few days i hope

Run - 40 minutes, again near normal feeling but effort level moderate

• Advertisement

Tuesday

One hour twenty mins of hill repeats on Killiney hill on road bike. Home then and due to heavy rain fourty mins on turbo on tt bike. Power on tt bike good even after hill repeats so maybe its time for a new ftp test in the next week or so....

Wednesday - new years day
    stayed indoors at the in-laws looking at rain like a pussy wishing i was at home with my turbo

Thursday
    1 hour 45 mins on bike - out around by Enniskerry and back with wife

30 minute swim

1 hour 20 minutes or so of running with club, mixture of warm-up, drills, then 4*10 mins at various different paces with 4 mins rest between, not an enjoyable session as the rain and wind made it miserable

Friday

Club swim session one hour ten minutes. Mixture of drills and plenty of paddles and pull bouy. Good session and happy to be back with club and decent swimming again

Saturday

Bike with plenty of hills, icy in spots so mainly down by the coast until Greystones where it got too icy and then back to Enniskerry, up towards Glencree turned back when got icy, back down then around to The Wall and back via Killiney Hill.

total bike time something like 3 hours 35 mins

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/424426445

45 minute run - low HR effort

2 hour turbo - 1 hour at low HR, 1 hour interval training

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/425011533

Half hour swim and fourty five minute run. Easy day

Monday 7 Jan

FTP test - details in post below. 5 min power 383 watts. 20 minute power 329 watts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057076997&page=8

Fourty minute run

Wednesday 8 Jan

1.5 hour swim - strain of right pectoral muscle meant this was an easy enough session for me just long

45 minute run

Thursday

Running - 5mins at:
    3.50 per k,
    3.55 per k,
    4.00 per k all the way through to 4.35 per k.

Between w/up and c/down round about an hour run

Friday
    40 minute recovery run

1 hour 40 minute swim

Main swim set

2*4*100m off 1.45, 1.40, 1.35, 1,30
    3*5*100m off 1.50, 1.45, 1.40, 1.35, 1.30

Also 6*50m sprints, copious drills and other swim work. Long swim session pretty tired at the end of it

Saturday

2 hours turbo
    2 hours hill repeats on Killiney Hill. Tough day on the bike overall

45 minute run

• Advertisement

Sunday

2 hour recovery turbo after a tiring day yesterday

Weekly totals

Swim 3 hours 40 mins
    Cycle 7 hours
    Run 4 hours 35 mins