Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DaveClarke17

Ok some of your responses are fair enough. I have some further questions:

- Why have you rebranded under a different name in Ireland rather than keeping the smiles hair clinic?
    - Is it anything to do with a number of negative reviews on Facebook groups, such as ? One comment below attached from a number of comments.
    - Do you have any on-going legal cases in Turkey regarding customers who have taken actions against the clinic?

Yup, I second this, Smile has a bad rep across hairloss forums. It's a shame GrowClub has choosen them as their partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Fingers crossed.

And if not, they can rebrand as Frown instead of Smile :p

GrowClub wrote: »
    snip

That is fair enough.

Your responses here to the questions have been really great so thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

is it mainly younger people that get hair transplants...
    i am 48

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

rooper wrote: »
    I went with Dr. Nel and it was an excellent experience. It was 8K euro for 2K grafts (dearer than some but way cheaper than Blackrock, seemed like the best balance of price/quality) but he actually goes way above and did 2.3somethingK grafts during the surgery for the same price. During the initial consultation he doesn't do the salesman routine and just gives very good advice in general (even on how to prevent future hair loss) and leaves it up to you. He actually talked me out of getting the crown done as well (as it wasn't too bad), which would have netted him more money, and said that the treatments and medications he recommended would restore some of it anyway (already seeing results from that). The day itself was very easy, him and his staff are very friendly and easy going. You chill and watch Netflix and don't feel a thing. I'm 2 months after now and have experienced zero shock loss. In fact my head looks fuller instead as a decent amount of the transplanted hairs didn't shed. I'll post again when the rested follicles grow back, but in the meantime don't hesitate to PM me with any questions. I would definitely recommend it for anyone that's on the fence. If you don't have the money up front he has a payment scheme to pay it monthly with zero interest. Also once the scabs fall out and before the transplanted hairs fall out you can see the exact job they did. I got asked for ID in the supermarket despite the fact I'm in my 40's. I couldn't imagine Blackrock or anywhere else positioning them better.

how much was the initial consultation?

do you have to medication/treatments after the operation?

• Advertisement

thebourke wrote: »
    is it mainly younger people that get hair transplants...
    i am 48

No I don't think age matters, celebrities of all ages have had it done so I wouldn't worry about age

• Registered Users Posts: 13 0879628553

Hey dellboy,i understand your suspicion,im the same way too.Im not connected to growclub{ya right says you}Im just trying to suss things out.It can be difficult to discern between the good guys and the shysters.thats why im on this forum.Nobody wants to be deceived so we research.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Growclub banned. As per the charter of this forum and Boards.ie If you are a official commercial Rep sanctioned by boards.ie, then please contact the forum Moderators by PM before posting your wares etc on this forum. If you want an official account contact Boards.ie.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thats a pity. More info was always a good thing. Hopefully they do the contact thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

They said before they already got permission from a mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Such a pity. More information is always welcome and we were hearing it direct from the company. The decision is upto us whether to use them or some other provider. Perhaps they would have given us,boards members some incentive as well.
    Just scared them off.crap

Crikey, bit OTT that. Not sure what harm was being done. Admin for the sake of admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

How much would a prescription for finasteride cost?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They said before they already got permission from a mod
    Nope. They didn't I'm afraid Desmond Full Conduit. I they go ahead and do I'll be only to happy to welcome them back.
    Monokne wrote: »
    Crikey, bit OTT that. Not sure what harm was being done. Admin for the sake of admin.
    I can see your point of view M, but it's one of the biggest rules of Boards and has been since the get go, that no promotion of businesses unless first passed by the office. Longstanding members with a small sideline of interest to local forums get much more leeway, but they still have to go through the usual channels. Otherwise among the occasional good advice you get all manner of shills promoting their wares and that opens all sorts of cans of worms. As you can understand this goes triple for any sort of medical advice/business for obvious reasons.

Hope that clears things up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Fair enough but it was stated in a now-deleted post that they requested permission and it was granted.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope. They didn't I'm afraid OTSSTO. I they go ahead and do I'll be only to happy to welcome them back.

I can see your point of view M, but it's one of the biggest rules of Boards and has been since the get go, that no promotion of businesses unless first passed by the office. Longstanding members with a small sideline of interest to local forums get much more leeway, but they still have to go through the usual channels. Otherwise among the occasional good advice you get all manner of shills promoting their wares and that opens all sorts of cans of worms. As you can understand this goes triple for any sort of medical advice/business for obvious reasons.

Hope that clears things up.

Fair enough :)

You can get a script online for €25 from https://www.webdoctor.ie/pages/hair-loss-finasteride

(I don't work there, don't ban me! :p )

Fair enough but it was stated in a now-deleted post that they requested permission and it was granted.
    Let me be clear here Desmond Full Conduit. You are incorrect. You forget can see all deleted posts on this forum. I deleted them. No request for permission was sought or granted. If it had been we wouldn't be having this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys, I’m new to this website, I’ve never posted anything like this before, but wanted to give guys who may be considering this procedure a view of an Irish clinic in COVID lock down.
    I’ve been considering a hair transplant for 2 years. I visited the expensive Irish clinic that a few people have mentioned on here for a consultation in January 2020. They asked me if I would like to go on minoxidil and proscar, I had done my research on both, they didn’t push them , they just said it was n option. I took the prescription and thought about it for a week before buying them.
    DRUGS. With the drugs, I took them for 2 weeks, but convinced myself I was having side effects. I have a healthy sex life with partner, and convinced myself it wasn’t happening as much in those 2 week- so stopped taking them. I did more research on line and watch hours of you tube videos- in the end I went back on them- I took 1/4 table of each, every second day. I continued taking them until1 month ago. Honestly, I can’t tell if they had any effect on the hair. 100% saw no thickning or additional growth, and I think inthinned further over the period. On the flip side, I had no side effects, sexual or other wish, get that bit out of your head and you will be fine.
    During lock down, the expensive clinic called me and offered me a zoom call consultation to see how I was progressing. I accepted and they then asked for 250 euro up front to secure the 20 minute call. This for me was the final straw with them. I had already spent close to €1000 with them on consultations - I should also mention that they offered me a transplant , they called it medium to large, and said it would cost €16,000. They also said I would probably need another in a few years. Because of the 250 consultation I was put off by using the clinic anymore I did my research and came across MHR clinic and Aylesbury clinic.
    MHR CLINIC- I visited a major clinic in September 2020. I met with Kim and she Talks through my options. The first warning sign I had when entering was the smell of cigarette smoke In Kim’s office. Her office is on the third floor and instead of going down to the ground floor it appears she smokes out the window. Kim quoted me €2500 for what needed to be done. I asked about the after care and if I would need to return and she told me no. This didn’t fill me with confidence. She also spent most of the consultation complaining about her business partner in Manchester and how they have fallen out, I found this to be completely unprofessional. €2500 was tempting- but he manner and aftercare put me off.
    AILESBURY CLINIC. I met with Ailesbury a week later, The consultation was great, Their offices are clean and tidy and they showed me the operation theater. They quoted me €5000 for 2500 hairs. I left clinic I did more research online about them I could find little or no bad comments.
    I booked my transfer for November 1 paid 500 deposit , Under 4500 balance on the day of the operation.
    HAIR Transplant t 24 hours ago on November 1 I had my Hair transplant. From the moment I arrived at the moment I left I can say nothing bad about the clinic. Every single member of stuff was so professional and helpful they made me feel safe and comfortble.
    The extraction process is very simple to give you a few medsbefore hand and I actually fell asleep a number of times during extraction ( I’m a dad to twins- this was like a spa treatment to me) . We stopped while I had my lunch but they provided and returned for the hair implant.
    The whole thing was done in 6hours or so, and it flew.
    They explained How I need to contact to hear over the next 24 hours and give lots of aftercare help. I just removed the bandages and the donor area looks like a few bee stings.
    The transplant area looks amazing, even at this early stage. I know they will fall out over coming weeks as new hairs push through, but I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. I know many of you will understand this bit. I had become so self aware of how my hair looked around my fringe and temples and was forever brushing it down if the slightest wind hit it and holding it back in place like an old man with a comb over.
    I know this post was long, but it’s my experience of how I got here.
    If there was no COVID, would I have gone to Turkey, yes probably. After going to Ailesbury I have no regrets, I just wish I did it sooner. It was nice to come straight home after the transplant, to sleep in my own bed, get feedback and reassurance from my partner and not have a dreaded flight ahead of me.
    I’ll post a few before and after pics later today. Happy to take any message because load of guys were good enough to offer advice to me along the way.
    Paul. November 2 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aaronelon3001

Hey Guys

Just had a consultation with Growclub. Very happy with how it went. Maybe a bit too good to be true, now to prove theyre not actors trying to take my money. lol!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 BeMAD

Perscription cost me €25 in a regular pharmacy. It was the 5mg tablets of Proscar though and I use a pill cutter to split into 4. If you go with the 1mg tablets they cost €100 I think (Propecia)

Hey Guys

Just had a consultation with Growclub. Very happy with how it went. Maybe a bit too good to be true, now to prove theyre not actors trying to take my money. lol!!!

Keep us posted. I know there's a lot of suspiscion regarding them here but I am sure they're a legit business and you'll be good. :D

Hey Guys

Nice keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Hey Guys

Best of luck, if you do proceed make sure you are aware of the actual surgeon completing the procedure, how much they will be doing versus technicians, that they are licensed to operate in Ireland by the medical council and that they have no pending legal cases against them. It was noted in a Facebook group that some of the guys were taking cases against Smiles in Turkey so just do your homework beforehand. Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

Best of luck, if you do proceed make sure you are aware of the actual surgeon completing the procedure, how much they will be doing versus technicians, that they are licensed to operate in Ireland by the medical council and that they have no pending legal cases against them. It was noted in a Facebook group that some of the guys were taking cases against Smiles in Turkey so just do your homework beforehand. Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

Hey

So they are awaiting their IMC reg number but they assure me its on the way. This is a little concerning maybe. The surgen i have spoken with seems legit and really informative. Again more research and homework to do. I may not book a date until the have received their Irish medical number. They charge €500 for a deposit and its refundable up until one month before procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Hey

So they are awaiting their IMC reg number but they assure me its on the way. This is a little concerning maybe. The surgen i have spoken with seems legit and really informative. Again more research and homework to do. I may not book a date until the have received their Irish medical number. They charge €500 for a deposit and its refundable up until one month before procedure.

What’s the surgeon’s name?

If I were you I would not be handing over any money. Refundable won’t be much good if they go bust.

If I were you I would not be handing over any money. Refundable won’t be much good if they go bust.

Dr Ahmedov Firdavs

He is the 3rd member of the Smile Hair Clinic team and has been trained and mentored by Dr Mehmet Erdogen & Dr Belgin, the founders of Smile Hair Clinic... Ive some digging to do....

https://actualclinic.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DonalB1

Hi guys,

Sorry now I'm just wondering have anyone here been to Cosmedia - Dr Acar? I was booked in last year to go with them but something came up with work and I had to cancel. I still have my deposit there but I'm happy to lose it if there are better recommendations for under the 5k mark. I had read good reviews from people on here about the clinic but they have since deleted their accounts which worries me a little.

I've gone quite light on the temples but quite thick everywhere else. I would need roughly 2500-3000 graphs. I also need to keep the top of my head unshaved.

Anyone else here have experience with them?

• Advertisement

https://www.whatclinic.com/hair-loss/turkey/istanbul-province/istanbul/cosmedica-dracar-hairtransplant-esthetics

Decent reviews for that place, to be fair.

I went with Dr Cinik - http://emrahcinik.com - Operation was just under 3 months ago and I've got some nice early growth beginning to come in. Service and price were excellent. I did a massive post on the experience a few pages back - don't want to repeat myself and clog up the thread. It's €2090 - €2,590 depending on certain specifics.

Advertisement