Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Lucreto wrote: »
    It's really depressing to read that. I only recorded 2 days of frost since the start of November and neither are severe. Hopefully the New Year will bring some decent cold.

Next Sundays Farming Forecast 6th January possibily will show the arrival of winter proper but the 13th January Farming Forecast will be EPIC IMO. Let the SSW do its thing first.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A calm, gentle morning as the light grows. Earlier an almost-half moon glowed serene.

The tide , at the bottom of the field, is high and rattling the rocks.

May this quiet, blessedly mild spell last and endure.

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

GFS still wants to bring back the Atlantic +192
    While EMC keep High pressure close to us. Few frosty nights to be had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Hope ecm is right and we at least get a few frosts next week with sunny days. Dec 2018 one to forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

This weather is fairly normal I think. We always get a run of mild nights at some point in the winter. To be honest can't remember any winter been that cold in the last while.( except for short cold spells) . a few years back had 18 degrees at 1 am around new years eve.

Using Roches Point in Cork as an illustration of this... we've only had 1x December below average between 2015 and 2018. The rest were 1.3 - 2.3 C above average. January hasn't faired much better with again only 1x January below average in that period, the rest being 0.6 - 0.8 C above.

Interestingly we've done well in Feb and March with 3 of the last 4 below average, hopefully this trend will continue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Billcarson wrote: »
    Hope ecm is right and we at least get a few frosts next week with sunny days. Dec 2018 one to forget.

None of the models are right. The haven't even begun to take the SSW into consideration yet.

The UK,s Met Office 10 day Trend will probably be all about SSW.

Sometimes it take weeks before a ssw have an effect and not always means cold for us depending on the blocking. My initial thoughts are cold for middle of January with North westerly winds at first then northerly and finally a northeasterly will become established with HP close to Greenland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Another damp grey day in cork city. Was wet for a while yesterday. Been like this now since Christmas Eve really, hopefully a break in this muck comes soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Another damp grey day in cork city. Was wet for a while yesterday. Been like this now since Christmas Eve really, hopefully a break in this muck comes soon.

Looks like there will be little or no change before before New Year`s Day at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sun is out in Kildare now. But won’t last long I’d say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Utterly lovely out here, Sky cleared and air balmy. Did a small amount of garden clearing.. seems darkening a little now but a gently pleasant while. west mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Nudging 13c in Arklow sunshine at the moment
    You'd certainly need reminding that Tuesday is january

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

finally a beautiful day here in south Meath. The first proper blue skies I've seen in 2 months and feeling warm, was outside in a t-shirt earlier, feels more like late April/early May than the end of December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Gonzo wrote: »
    finally a beautiful day here in south Meath. The first proper blue skies I've seen in 2 months and feeling warm, was outside in a t-shirt earlier, feels more like late April/early May than the end of December.

Blissful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    Can see your blue sky to my northeast. Very jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Current national average (IMT) for December so far is 8.0c, which is almost 2.0c above average (81-10), and just 0.2c below that of November, which was in itself a warmer than average month.

Some notably warm Decembers though history. Note that this data is based on the weighted average mean for the island of Ireland and adjusted upwards by +0.6c to tie in with 11 synoptic station mean used in the IMT series, so while just approximations, represent the closest and most likely figure.

1988: 8.5c
    2015: 8.4c
    1934: 8.4c
    1974: 8.3c
    1921: 8.2c
    1953: 8.0c

Data from both Met Éireann and the University of Anglia.

Edit, correction to year in last figure. 1953 and not 1950.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Mortelaro wrote: »

The only mention of cold is almost 3 weeks from now and even then they say there's a 1 in 3 chance of it being delayed. This long range forecasting is a pointless game imo.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    The only mention of cold is almost 3 weeks from now and even then they say there's a 1 in 3 chance of it being delayed. This long range forecasting is a pointless game imo.

Well 30%
    It's nothing to do with Lrf"s
    It's a guess at the broad effect of the ssw,that's all
    So they're saying 70% likely and who hasn't said 3 week lead in,that's how the strat is supposed to work

Deep in FI gfs 12z is hinting for a potential Easterly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Spurs were title contenders yesterday lads. Some of the wishful thinking on here for bad weather is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Spurs were title contenders yesterday lads. Some of the wishful thinking on here for bad weather is laughable.

Yes but if Liverpool lose and say Man City take a point tmrw..it's all up for grabs again. A bit like this winter!

For what it's worth i've a feeling this is going to be a very mild winter, like 1988-89, 1994-95 etc. For some reason extreme cold seems very distant. Even though we've 2 mts of winter left. SSW or not. Then again it could change in a few days.

Thankfully the roads have been great for driving at night and will be over new years. Must reduce accidents.

It's actually a good question.. are Spurs more dependable than the results of an SSW:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Some notably warm Decembers though history.

1988: 8.5c
    2015: 8.4c
    1934: 8.4c
    1974: 8.3c
    1921: 8.2c
    1953: 8.0c
    None of them followed by a cold January or February.
    88/89 and 74/75 in particular stand out as exceptionally mild winters.
    I'm not predicting anything for Jan and Feb '19 but realistically the odds are stacked against a severe winter.
    Personally I've given up on winter 18/19 and looking forward to next summer as good summers often (not always) come in twos
    .... summer 75 and 89? ;)

None of them followed by a cold January or February.
    88/89 and 74/75 in particular stand out as exceptionally mild winters.
    I'm not predicting anything for Jan and Feb '19 but realistically the odds are stacked against a severe winter.
    Personally I've given up on winter 18/19 and looking forward to next summer as good summers often (not always) come in twos
    .... summer 75 and 89? ;)

Must have a look at some data I have on my PC to see cold Jan, Febs preceded by mild Decembers. There are a fair few too from what I remember.

The thought of a Spring like 2003 appeals to me. Unlike 2007 and 2011 a good Spring followed by a lovely summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Must have a look at some data I have on my PC to see cold Jan, Febs preceded by mild Decembers. There are a fair few too from what I remember.

In terms of CET:

https://twitter.com/SnowbieWx/status/1078065293036081152

sryanbruen wrote: »

The majority of cold follow ups in Jan and Feb seem to be over 100yrs ago.. curiously..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The majority of cold follow ups in Jan and Feb seem to be over 100yrs ago.. curiously..

Yes as that was a cooler period overall. Caveat is that's the 30 mildest Decembers, there's a lot more including three consecutive ones from 1953 to 1955 which were all followed by cold outbreaks in January and February. February 1956 had a "Beast from the East" type event at the start. February 1955 had 10 days of lying snow at Dublin Airport.

Two of the biggest problems with this December and mainly (besides model predictions like the ECM) the reasons why I went for a mild, wet month was down to El Nino and the North Atlantic SSTs. El Nino increases the risk of positive NAO earlier in the Winter which normally translates to mild, wet conditions in Winter but it also increases the chance of colder weather later in the season. The North Atlantic SSTs were favourable for positive NAO too.
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Long range models

To start off, let's discuss the long range or seasonal model output. The vast majority of the known long range models were pointing towards the occurrence of northern blocking up over the Arctic, some more extensive than others with a particular emphasis over Greenland. Models like the UKMO Glosea5 and JMA went especially bullish on Greenland blocking in the second half of the Winter around February. These models in their November updates as a result anticipated the chance of a very cold to even severely cold February if we were to go solely off of their 500mb height anomalies and or mean sea level pressure anomalies. Using Hanna's Greenland Blocking Index (GBI), similar Februaries to the extent of blocking shown on these models include 1947, 1901, 2010, 1902, 1895, 1942, 1960, 1855, 1900 and 1965. Several of these Februaries were either notably snowy (for example, 1947), cold (for example 1895 and 1947) or anticyclonic (for example, 1965 which later became cold and snowy too into March). Models were fairly mixed on the early part of the Winter but they generally pointed towards a rather zonal December with relatively mild and wet conditions especially the ECM. January looks anticyclonic but a bit split on the temperature aspect. If the high pressure aligns itself over top of the country, just to the north or to the east then it's likely to be a chilly January with clear skies leading to frost and fog. If the high is more aligned to the south then it will be a mild month. February holds the greatest potential for blocking (and therefore cold conditions) on the models with quite a strong signal for three months away. One would normally think the first month (December) would hold the highest confidence of what is likely to happen but in contrast, it is actually the most uncertain of this forecast. Models like the DWD and the CFSv2 which show zonal and wet conditions cannot be discounted as their solutions are certainly possible given factors like the QBO, El Nino (especially early in the Winter) and the Atlantic sea surface temperatures.

Atlantic sea surface temperature anomalies

The Atlantic sea surface temperature (SST) anomalies continue to show this strange profile of cold-warm-cold-warm in the North Atlantic with the cold anomalies forming the shape of a horseshoe which has been the case since Spring generally. This is not favourable for a negative North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) going strictly by the SSTs alone as they would have to be warmer around Greenland to do so. In case you do not know, the NAO is an index showing the difference in mean sea level pressure between the Icelandic Low and Azores High, two elements which make up the normal zonal pattern for western Europe. A positive NAO involves both of these elements being strong and normally translate to mild, wet conditions in Winter time whilst a negative NAO involves both of these elements either being weak or sometimes, non-existent as the pattern can completely reverse, which usually translate to cold conditions in Winter. This is not always the case with either side of the NAO index as there have been instances of cold conditions with positive NAO just as much as mild conditions with negative NAO. Every Winter since and including 2013-14 has had a positive NAO which has been one of the reasons why Winter hasn't been particularly cold recently and sometimes, record mild or wet as such happened in 2013-14 and 2015-16. Summer has been the opposite for most years since 2007 with every Summer since bar 2013 and now 2018 having a negative NAO. In fact, Summer 2018 was record breakingly positive. Will Winter 2018-19 see a similar flip to negative NAO? Not very likely given the Atlantic sea surface temperature anomalies though not impossible. I did an analogue on Winters following very positive NAO Summers and in fact, the signal was strong for an Atlantic driven Winter. Therefore from this point of view, there is an increased chance of a mild, wet Winter.

El Niño-Southern Oscillation

The El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) is an irregular index with variation in winds and sea surface temperatures over the equatorial Pacific Ocean. The warming phase is known as El Niño whilst the cooling phase is known as La Niña. Southern Oscillation is the accompanying atmospheric component coupled with the sea temperature change. These phases of ENSO have various impacts on weather patterns around the world but the impacts from it on Europe are unknown due to event to event variation. However, it has been said that El Niño increases the chances of cold later in the Winter whilst La Niña does the opposite of increasing the chances of cold earlier in the Winter. Examples of El Niño Winters doing this include 2014-15 (where February was the coldest of the Winter with a frosty spell during the first half) and 1977-78 (where February produced a severe cold spell with one of the worst blizzards on record to hit the West Country).

Verdict

What is the final verdict from all of what I described above? What do I think is likely? Well, the signs from my analogues and long range models are very compelling aren't they for a cold Winter. However, I just don't think it will be as straightforward as some would interpret from these. I don't think this will be a classic cold Winter. Rather, I think a changeable Winter is more likely similar in vein to 2017-18 especially earlier in the season with more of a lean towards a risk of prolonged cold later in the season.

December - A close to average month in terms of temperature if a little bit on the milder side (Edit: I underestimated how mild it would be). Above average precipitation is more favoured than below average despite my analogue showing an anticyclonic month on the cards, due to a more zonal flow earlier on and there is a possibility of this continuing through the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

So in lay man's terms what are people predicting? More of this or more normal temps?

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    So in lay man's terms what are people predicting? More of this or more normal temps?

A bit like the lyrics to the Paul Brady song.. 'the answer is nobody knows' :)

And unfortunately 'Nobody' isn't online.

Advertisement