Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slatted Tank

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

Water John wrote: »
    Nice job, see you included that essential piece of equip for silage, the three pronged fork.

It's a 4 pronger.

He should get a 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You're right, need new glasses. 3 prong really suits silage, big diff.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kingdom fan

I am considering demolishing an old cow stall that's no longer used and adding another slatted shed, however I have a old style slurry pit built in the 70's.
    Approx 40ft wide. 80 ft long. 5ft walls. Walls are almost a foot wide at floor. About 7 inch at top. All walls and floor are in good condition. I saw an article some time in the IFJ where a fella in clare converted his old slurry pit to a slattted tank. I was thinking of increasing the wall height somehow or adding new wall and putting in two alone walls. This tank was used last winter but it's empty this year. My other tank ( 14ft6" by125 feet) just over half full at the moment.
    Does anyone here have any experience of this type of conversion.
    I've a rough price for the roof already it's the tank bit I'm trying to get my head around.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

How are you going to span the width 40ft, with slats?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kingdom fan

Water John wrote: »
    How are you going to span the width 40ft, with slats?

Two walls. Maybe 10" wide. Also use these walls to hold rsj's for barriers/ gates.
    Am thinking pens the full length maybe 12 or 14 ft slat. And central feed passage 10 to 13 foot wide all approx numbers at d moment. One passage here is 13 ft wide and I've no problem feeding bales with d front loader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Grueller

Two walls. Maybe 10" wide. Also use these walls to hold rsj's for barriers/ gates.
    Am thinking pens the full length maybe 12 or 14 ft slat. And central feed passage 10 to 13 foot wide all approx numbers at d moment. One passage here is 13 ft wide and I've no problem feeding bales with d front loader

Drumderry concrete do a 20'6" slat. 2 of them be enough. Might be worth pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Grueller wrote: »
    Drumderry concrete do a 20'6" slat. 2 of them be enough. Might be worth pricing.

Wonder how do these compare to two 10' 6 slats price wise and function wise (agitating etc). Are they grand approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Grueller

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Wonder how do these compare to two 10' 6 slats price wise and function wise (agitating etc). Are they grand approved?

Yes they are grant approved. I know a 16'6" slat is €85 + VAT per foot of tank. I also know an 18'6" is €110 + VAT per ft. Don't know about the 20'6"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

@good loser
    Dimensions of roof are same as outside of shed, as the canopy is separate roof with a gap between the two. Shed is circa 70ft long and 25 ft wide.

16' 6" slat
    18" toe space front & back
    2' trough
    3' walkway

cattle are fed via the walkway at the back...

@cavanjack:
    1 - the outlay of capital and delay in payback. i didnt have enough capital and wasnt in a position to go borrowing..
    2 - not a young farmer so would only get 40%.

I figured it was going to cost me about 5k more to go with a non-grant shed before planning and i could get it done a lot quicker as well so i went that way.

@sillycave ill try dig em out...

Looks like a grand shed. Quick question though

Is it worth the loss of space to put the feeding trough and walkway at the back? I'm sure it's handy and all, although you'd never be able to use a diet feeder or something like that on it. What percentage of the floor space does it take up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

Is it worth the loss of space to put the feeding trough and walkway at the back? I'm sure it's handy and all, although you'd never be able to use a diet feeder or something like that on it. What percentage of the floor space does it take up?

I wouldn't say he lost space! The cost of the extra space wouldn't come into a life changing sum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

Definitely worth it in my opinion. I did not want to have to go opening the back of shed to an outside trough and to then feed ration in the rain. the slats are already 16' 6" which is quite big already so tank was as wide as it was going to get. it just made the roof area bigger. its a lean-to shed and i dont plan on using diet feeder at the back anyway.

Trough is 2ft and walkway is 3ft so for 4 bays, 5x60=300sq. ft roughy.
    Cattle space then is 16.5+1.5+1.5=say 20 ft for 4 bays, 20x60=1200 sq. ft.
    so 25% if my math is right...

There is an argument to made that the mass concrete wall at the back is useless as cattle are never near it so if i was going direct labour then sheeting it to the ground would be cheaper. My builders price was fixed so went with mass concrete which is better for wind shelter as thats the south west anyway.

Advertisement