Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cattle Crush

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

Reggie. wrote: »
    We just laid a row of 9in cavities on the outside to step up on to if required. Still plenty of room to reach under an animal if needed.

I have that for years - good idea. Also if short a few blocks they can be robbed, even temporarily.
    Four other things
    - gate to make funnel at entry point
    - short closing gate at rear with sloped handle.
    - first section (4/5 foot) to hang at head gate and close into first pillar; this can be opened into crush to release stock

- if possible, if right handed, have wall on left (facing to front) so that animals are caught with left hand and syringe is held in right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

You will never have the right night for.a step. The higher you go the more power you have but the harder it is to catch an animal

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hill Bill

Sami23 wrote: »
    Digging up this old thread as I am hoping to relocate my crush early next year and would appreciate some advice please.
    Basically the crush is now on the outside of the shed with a door that opens out used to let them out to it but my problem arises when the first one or two stall going up the crush and I can't get near them to drive them on as I'm in the shed and may have to let all back in and try again which ends up very time consuming as I'm usually on my own at it.
    Anyway I'm hoping to extend out the shed over where the crush is now and relocate it to the 'new' back wall where I will have full access to it as all will be inside the shed.
    Like suggested above have many people put sockets into the ground so the crush can be dismantled and if doing that like someone said how would you fix it to prevent an animal lifting the whole lot up and bursting out on top of you ?
    It is worth having it that it can be dismantled at all ?
    Another thing I'd like opinions on is - is it absolutely necessary to have a step outside the crush for dosing etc. as it's going to be inside the shed now the extra floor space would be great to have and not have to put a step in or would the other option of leaving the floor lower in the crush work as a step. I just think this could be awkward if you had to say milk out a cow with mastitas.
    Crush will only be used for about 15 suckler cows and stores up to 18 months.
    Farming part time and just want to make things as safe and efficient as I can.
    Any advice or even pictures of any crushes inside sheds would be great.
    Thanks

Putting in a new crush here & on an out farm, I was hoping to put in the sockets & use the same crush for both places but was advised against it, as crush would be very noisy & not as strong.

Going to set the posts in concrete in both locations & move crush panels, headgate when needed. If it turns out to be too much hassle, I can buy the second set of panels, headgate when funds allow.

On your problem of not being able to load the crush from the shed- cattle naturally want to return the direction that they came if they meet a dead end, so they start backing up.
    If you could have a holding pen where your headgate is currently situated, (bypassing the crush on the way) & swap the headgate to the shed side of the crush, I’d wager that you’ll fill the crush a lot easier.

Hope that makes sense, we had the same problem, changed it around as described and no trouble now.

Google Temple Grandin, she has some very practical tips, it’s a lot easier to work with cattle than against them!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, I've seen that problem with a neighbours crush, when helping with testing, where the cows are having to go the opposite direction to their usual entering the milking parlour. Absolute PITA.

Advertisement