Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday evening big shopping outing

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Never take kids on a grocery shop.

I do my shopping on a Saturday in the local lidl. I go with a list and earbuds and listen to podcasts in peace so I don't actually mind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Regarding IKEA, just pick a suitable day, pack the kids in the car and get there when the doors open at 9.30 am. You'll have no trouble finding a parking spot at that stage. Have a hot breakfast, make it part of the whole experience - you could feed the whole family for around €10-12 total, then just put your head down and get around the shop and throw what you need into your trolley. At least you're parked and fed. You will probably always have to queue to pay at the tills, but at that stage, you're just about done and you just have to get out and pack up the car. Buy the kids an ice cream to keep them quiet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Only go on Monday or Tuesday mornings. Nice and quiet.

Not sure I’d agree with it being mad busy on Sunday evenings. We nearly always do our food shop for the week around 7pm Sunday evening and I find the shops nice a quiet (around us anyway).

Handiest day to so the shopping imo as you can usually get dates to stretch the full week (until Thursday evening) on items and I hate having to go getting bits and pieces during the week if I can help it prefer to do one shop and be done with it (would pop in Friday evening if not going out after work or else Saturday late morning to get stuff for the weekend like stuff for the frys etc). If it’s not Sunday we would go Monday evening for the weekly shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Shopping, jesus what a truly boring pass time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I shop because i starve if i dont eat.
    And to make it easy on myself, my shopping is done on Saturday or Sunday.
    At 07.00 when Tesco opens.

If i reaheaheahealy need something badly from Ikea, i go on a midweek evening.

Anything that can be ordered on line, will be ordered on line and home delivered.
    I know tesco, supervalu can be done on line too but It is just that i like to pick my fresh food myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fcuk shopping, it shouldn't be classed as a pastime or leisure activity.

Go in, buy your sh!t, get out, like a military operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Malayalam wrote: »
    Ah I understand Grace, really, as I live far from towns too, but shopping makes me feel sad beyond the irritation of it. You have to pretend not to know where most of the stuff available to buy has come from and play your part living on the sweat of others. I know that sounds morose and political but it is nonetheless true. I prefer to go to the cinema in town and watch some Hollywood propaganda ;)

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about? :confused:

I am referring to simple basic groceries ....not sweat shop clothes? Is that what this is about? Please do not answer that!!!!

Just simple basics like bread, milk, fruit, cheese.. YOU know!

You make life so complicated. And unenjoyable. Shopping for me is a rare freedom, a liberty of choice. A deep pleasure on the increasingly rare occasions I can do it

You sound so depressed and I sincerely hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

sdanseo wrote: »
    Law requires there to be a Sunday premium rate, I've never heard of or been paid less than 33%
    ever heard of composite rates? it's where employers claim that the Sunday premium is included in the gross salary but somehow get away without providing a breakdown of what the premium is

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I had no idea people had a big shopping outing on a Sunday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I have the solution a 4 day working week.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I usually get the shopping done in about 30 min in the local Aldi on a Sunday afternoon. No problems.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I have much better things to be doing on my valuable free time on a Sunday than being stuck in a soulless shopping Centre or supermarket. I can’t fathom how some people think going to a shopping Centre is considered a “day out?”:confused:

It's occupies the children for a day, I believe.

We were in Liffey Valley a few Sunday's grabbing something to eat. The family beside us Dad, Mam, toddler and young child ruined it for us. The young child went ballistic, walking around the restaurant with food in his hand and he even set up camp under our table at one point. Parents just looked over at him and resumed their conversation.
    A haircut on a Sunday - Is Ireland that vain and pathetic.

Erm, I work with women who get up early in the morning to go to the hairdressers before work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

inforfun wrote: »
    I shop because i starve if i dont eat.
    And to make it easy on myself, my shopping is done on Saturday or Sunday.
    At 07.00 when Tesco opens.

If i reaheaheahealy need something badly from Ikea, i go on a midweek evening.

Anything that can be ordered on line, will be ordered on line and home delivered.
    I know tesco, supervalu can be done on line too but It is just that i like to pick my fresh food myself.

You are probably right about that. I mostly do online and every piece of meat I got last week was 2 days from the best before date.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I had no idea people had a big shopping outing on a Sunday evening.
    Me neither. In fact Sunday evening is probably the last time I'd consider going shopping of the whole week.

Obviously families have to shop for the week one day of the week. For reasons also obvious the weekend is a good choice. Saturday tends to be more busy with other entertainment - like watching the football, pub sessions, other activities. Sunday evening makes sense.

I don’t do this but am pretty amazed that people don’t get it.

A haircut on a Sunday - Is Ireland that vain and pathetic

You’re right mate. No more haircuts from now on. Except Tuesdays at 11am. Peace.

Alun wrote: »
    Me neither. In fact Sunday evening is probably the last time I'd consider going shopping of the whole week.

Why? It makes the most sense to me anyway. The week is starting Monday so you need stuff in for the week, it gets it out of the way so doesn't have to be done monday evening. Doing a full shop Fri or Sat would take up time from doing other stuff (watching sport, going out for pints, working at home etc) and means stuff might not last the week and doing a full shop say mid week would make no sense as we tend to eat out/get takeaway at weekends or cook random less healthy food so doing a Wednesday to Wednesday shop would make no sense.

Its really just dinners I shop for anyway as I buy lunch so its not that it takes up much time to do the food shopping for the week on a Sunday and then its out of the way until Friday (to get weekend stuff) bar needing to pick up something that you ran out of/forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

The law doesn't specify how much extra should be paid but the Labour Court has determined that anything below one third extra to be 'unreasonable'.

Really? In my last place you got Sunday overtime pay was higher than regular overtime, but if you only worked the standard monthly hours (as was usually the case) then Sunday was payed the same as any regular day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nothing worse on a Sunday evening than getting stuck in the queue behind some fûcker with a full trolley when you only popped in to grab a few beers, there's only one checkout open and the queue for the self service checkouts has 30 people in it!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Slim chance of getting fresh fruit, veg and bread on Sunday evening .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

When I chance through Dunne's Stores or Tesco myself on a Sunday it is the pervading glum and methodical attitude I get from 90% of customers, compared to Monday evening at the same venues, when the kids are with their parents /older siblings in their day spent school uniforms - more perked up after the school day slog, even if the homework beckons when they come home.

Augeo wrote: »
    Slim chance of getting fresh fruit, veg and bread on Sunday evening .......

I cant really comment on fruit as I don't really eat fruit so don't buy it but my oh appears happy enough with it, I find veg just fine as it has a fairy long shelf life and bread I tend to have bought loaf Friday or Saturday for the weekend so freeze the left overs and can use if needed as I buy my sandwiches/rolls at lunch everyday during the week. I often make homemade bread for weekday breakfasts also.
    5rtytry56 wrote: »
    When I chance through Dunne's Stores or Tesco myself on a Sunday it is the pervading glum and methodical attitude I get from 90% of customers

Food shopping is glum and methodical so I wouldn't expect any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Nothing worse on a Sunday evening than getting stuck in the queue behind some fûcker with a full trolley when you only popped in to grab a few beers, there's only one checkout open and the queue for the self service checkouts has 30 people in it!

Lidl is brutal for this.

My local seems to be staffed by about two people.

There's never more than one checkout open. I don't know why they installed so many of them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Lidl is brutal for this.

My local seems to be staffed by about two people.

There's never more than one checkout open. I don't know why they installed so many of them in the first place.

I genuinely can't understand why Lidl and Aldi don't have self service tills. For a low cost model they are perfect, yet they spend millions on admittedly very nice "concept" stores.

Probably something to do with the fact that they aren't popular in Europe, therefore they just don't put them elsewhere either. But they should surely be able to see past that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,284 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I genuinely can't understand why Lidl and Aldi don't have self service tills. For a low cost model they are perfect, yet they spend millions on admittedly very nice "concept" stores.

Probably something to do with the fact that they aren't popular in Europe, therefore they just don't put them elsewhere either. But they should surely be able to see past that.

They are meant to be in a few Lidl's!

Graces7 wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea what you are talking about? :confused:

I am referring to simple basic groceries ....not sweat shop clothes? Is that what this is about? Please do not answer that!!!!

Just simple basics like bread, milk, fruit, cheese.. YOU know!

You make life so complicated. And unenjoyable. Shopping for me is a rare freedom, a liberty of choice. A deep pleasure on the increasingly rare occasions I can do it

You sound so depressed and I sincerely hope you feel better soon.

I think Malay meant that shopping can be a bit of a strange experience at times because as consumers we tend to turn a blind eye to where the produce comes from. It is a very interesting point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Never again, kids hanging off trollies. Parents arguing over price of porridge, why waste your one day off work battling a supermarket.
    Too many people are institutionalized.

That happens in the pub these days.

I've had my sunday sesh destroyed by too many little jmmy's screaming their little bollocks off.

I hate kids.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

First time i saw one was at a lidl in the UK.
    And the next time i was there, they were gone again.
    Think it has something to do with being robbed blind unless you put a cashier at each and every one at them.
    Might as well just go for the normal check outs then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

I've seen (and used) self service tills in Lidl. They seem to be in very few of their shops though.

Advertisement