Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday evening big shopping outing

Options
  • 16-09-2018 10:44pm
    Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭

Never again, kids hanging off trollies. Parents arguing over price of porridge, why waste your one day off work battling a supermarket.
    Too many people are institutionalized.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Never again, kids hanging off trollies. Parents arguing over price of porridge, why waste your one day off work battling a supermarket.

I have much better things to be doing on my valuable free time on a Sunday than being stuck in a soulless shopping Centre or supermarket. I can’t fathom how some people think going to a shopping Centre is considered a “day out?”:confused:

Brooks was here, so was Red, and now Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,772 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya ever heard of Tesco online?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was out today - was shocked how big a shopping day Sunday is :eek:

Kind of a sign of how much time pressure people are under - that we don't have a day off

Some of the shops open on a Sunday seem nuts.

Mobile phone shops
    Hairdressers

Undoubtedly - people getting not extra wages for working ?

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Lads ease back on quoting my opening post. Mobile user here.

• Advertisement

Lads ease back on quoting my opening post. Mobile user here.

you need to go shopping right now to solve that ****

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I made the (big) mistake of going to Ikea today about lunchtime, to do a quick smash'n'grab at what I thought would be a civilised hour for a couple of small items that weren't in stock last week. I didn't even hit the showroom upstairs, only the market hall.

O.M.F.G.

Carparks all jammers, kids screaming, queues a mile long for the tills, impossible to do more than a shuffle with the trolley anywhere in any direction.

Never, ever, again.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

On the plus side great time to go to the gym or for a swim only 3 of us in my local pool at 2pm today.could do a proper swim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You only get 1 day off a week?

Oh, and going to Ikea at the weekend is an amateur mistake. If you have to, be in there before 10 and know what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Shops are just places in which I purchase groceries. It's not generally a prerequisite for them to be 'soulful'.

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    You only get 1 day off a week?

Oh, and going to Ikea at the weekend is an amateur mistake. If you have to, be in there before 10 and know what you're looking for.
    Now ya tell me? :confused:

Anyway, thought it didn't open till 10?

And yeah, rookie mistake I will not be making again.

A haircut on a Sunday - Is Ireland that vain and pathetic.

Just relax - read a newspaper.

Think the Tattoo shop was open too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Do the main food shop for the week on Tesco online if i need anything spur the moment just grab it in Dunnes round the corner never normally much so its all good!

I buy most stuff online or i at least review what i want to buy first so if i do buy it in store its a case of going there grabbing it buying it and im done! No ****ing around spending whole day looking at ****e i don't want and cant afford.

The odd time ill follow herself if she wants to go into town or whatever other big supermarket but as soon as i get a pain in me arse with it all ill usually vanish outside with the kids and wait there :pac:

Three of my most hated holes on the face of the earth are in no particular order Tiger Pennys and Lush!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Now ya tell me? :confused:

Anyway, thought it didn't open till 10?

And yeah, rookie mistake I will not be making again.

Restaurant and showroom opens at 9:30. You can be nearly ready to leave at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Do the main shop around 4 am on Tuesday or Wednesday, when it's usually fairly quiet. Nip in during the week after work for the drink and a haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I live in a small town Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Supervalu all located within minutes of one another. Doing a weekly shop is a doddle. Never any issue with traffic/crowds/etc.
    The odd time they might be a little busy but know where near as larger towns/cities.
    The only reason I avoid doing the main shop on a Sunday is because I feel things are poorly dated/not overly fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Undoubtedly - people getting not extra wages for working ?

Law requires there to be a Sunday premium rate, I've never heard of or been paid less than 33%

Not religious in the least but it would be nice for Sundays to be a day off for everyone. The rest of Europe do this right, I was in Frankfurt on both a Sunday and Bank Holiday in May and literally everything except convenience stores, bars and restaurants were closed. We're also second worst for public holidays in Europe. You'd think a country with a net effective tax rate of nearly 50% would be able to do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I live in a small town Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Supervalu all located within minutes of one another. Doing a weekly shop is a doddle. Never any issue with traffic/crowds/etc.
    The odd time they might be a little busy but know where near as larger towns/cities.
    The only reason I avoid doing the main shop on a Sunday is because I feel things are poorly dated/not overly fresh.

That is unusual... I can sometimes score 2 or 3 but never all 4 ! Now thankfully I get the bulk delivered from supervalu.

I do enjoy supermarkets though, especially the reduced counters. and gazing in awe at the displays of fruit and vegetables we have these days.

No boats on Sunday unless you book and pay a private crossing. I did once try Sunday shopping in Killarney but it felt wrong somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I made the (big) mistake of going to Ikea today about lunchtime, to do a quick smash'n'grab at what I thought would be a civilised hour for a couple of small items that weren't in stock last week. I didn't even hit the showroom upstairs, only the market hall.

O.M.F.G.

Carparks all jammers, kids screaming, queues a mile long for the tills, impossible to do more than a shuffle with the trolley anywhere in any direction.

Never, ever, again.

A weekday morning or 10 minutes before it closes is the only time IKEA is bearable.

It is the absolute worst of horrible places when it's busy, people blocking the walkway at every turn meaning you can't even walk through at your own pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

sdanseo wrote: »
    A weekday morning or 10 minutes before it closes is the only time IKEA is bearable.

It is the absolute worst of horrible places when it's busy, people blocking the walkway at every turn meaning you can't even walk through at your own pace.

I have never been to IKEA yet, and had a mad idea to go there a couple of weekends ago, but it didn't pan out. This settles it though...I am not going to bother. Ever.
    Hate every kind of shopping anyway. At the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Malayalam wrote: »
    I have never been to IKEA yet, and had a mad idea to go there a couple of weekends ago, but it didn't pan out. This settles it though...I am not going to bother. Ever.

My take on IKEA being a guy it's better than a shopping center full of clothes shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

O.M.F.G.

Never, ever, again.

Ha!!! There’s no such thing!!!

My take on IKEA being a guy it's better than a shopping center full of clothes shops.

Hell would be better than a shopping centre full of clothes shops. :)

I'm a gal, and I wholeheartedly agree :D

Ha!!! There’s no such thing!!!

Even allowing for mayhem hell, I was still in and out in well under half an hour. But only because I knew exactly where each item I needed was, and the shortcuts to them.

But yeah, I'll be timing the visit a bit better next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A haircut on a Sunday - Is Ireland that vain and pathetic.

Just relax - read a newspaper.

Think the Tattoo shop was open too

When are people who work 9-5 Monday to Friday supposed to find the time for a hair cut during the 5 days they are working. Sunday is a day off for most people so the services should be open then, why take time off work or rush after finishing a hard day in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sdanseo wrote: »
    Law requires there to be a Sunday premium rate, I've never heard of or been paid less than 33%....
    The law doesn't specify how much extra should be paid but the Labour Court has determined that anything below one third extra to be 'unreasonable'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Malayalam wrote: »

I love it! But I had decades of being totally housebound and having to get everything by mail order or by others and it palls after a while. Half way back there now but will not give the rest up easily! Love Mr Price! Got a good solid rain cape there for E2 and today will see it well used.

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

I love it! But I had decades of being totally housebound and having to get everything by mail order or by others and it palls after a while. Half way back there now but will not give the rest up easily! Love Mr Price! Got a good solid rain cape there for E2 and today will see it well used.

Ah I understand Grace, really, as I live far from towns too, but shopping makes me feel sad beyond the irritation of it. You have to pretend not to know where most of the stuff available to buy has come from and play your part living on the sweat of others. I know that sounds morose and political but it is nonetheless true. I prefer to go to the cinema in town and watch some Hollywood propaganda ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

There may be a clue here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I agree with the IKEA hell, oh my god.
    I sometimes go when I'm up in Dublin which is usually in the weekend, they have really cheap planters and I stock up on various sizes.

So I park which in itself takes half an hour. Go in, go down and from the tills to the plants, fighting my way against the stream of sad husbands and angry wives wheeling around whingy kids. Grab what I need, queue 1,5 hours to pay and afterwards somehow the whole afternoon is gone and I feel exhausted and need a nap and I wasn't anywhere but downstairs to get a few planters.

My theory is that IKEA is some sort of time rift that feeds off people's dispair and anger.

Advertisement