Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Fast Food Every Day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

daithi7 wrote: »
    Uggghhh, so much processed food is so bad for you.

My advice fwiw is to learn to use the microwave. I can cook beautiful fish in olive oil, steamed brocolli & other veg and say some nice baked or steamed baby, or sweet potatoes, in 3 plastic containers in about 10 minutes. That makes for a very tasty, wholesome and healthy dinner in under 10 minutes.

My main reason for going to the takeaway occasionally is to now restock my plastic containers that get a bit tired from all the use. I'd recommend it tbh. Processed food is not good imho.

You can get those containers from dealz, something like six of them with lids for 1.50 :)

As per OP, I eat takeaway/fast food about twice a month. Cheat meals. Can't beat a Firehouse pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We were 4 days in the hospital for the birth of the little one last month. I ate subway there 4 days in a row. Im feeling ill at the thought of one now. I used to love the occasional subway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I either cook myself or eat from the canteen in work

Any meal I cook myself never takes more than 20-30 mins to make so ordering in or going out takes me longer and I rarely feel good or full after it. The good meals usually cost twice or 3 times as much than if I made it myself and I rather not spend that much money on food I can do myself if I put my mind to it.

Like anything, moderation is key, and I do have cheat meals and junk food from time to time aswell but if you cant take time out to feed yourself correctly, I'm talking over the course of a long period of time, then you need to re-evaluate your lifestyle tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Smoke fast food erry day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Food is priority number one for me. Not fancy, but home cooked, thought out and generally very tasty.

Dunno how you can feed people properly for 1 euro a day though. Maybe keep them alive, but 4 - 5 nutritious meals a day costs a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Dempsey wrote: »
    I either cook myself or eat from the canteen in work

Any meal I cook myself never takes more than 20-30 mins to make so ordering in or going out takes me longer and I rarely feel good or full after it. The good meals usually cost twice or 3 times as much than if I made it myself and I rather not spend that much money on food I can do myself if I put my mind to it.

Like anything, moderation is key, and I do have cheat meals and junk food from time to time aswell but if you cant take time out to feed yourself correctly, I'm talking over the course of a long period of time, then you need to re-evaluate your lifestyle tbh

Cook yourself ? Self cannibalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Cook yourself ? Self cannibalism.

Yes, with with some fava beans and a nice chianti. Problem?! :D

To me fast food is McD, Burger King, chipper etc not buying your sandwich at lunch or getting a Thai take away. Anyway I'd have what I consider take away about once a week, I buy a sandwich or roll for lunch everyday (I have a few places I rotate around to get it) and I would get take away (Thai etc) about once or twice a week. Monday to Thursday dinner would normally be cooked at home or something that was cooked before and frozen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I eat too much fast food. I live on my own and cooking for one is a right pain - I'm a terrible fiend for microwaveable ready meals that are full of salt and fat. I am trying to cook more - things at the weekend and freezing them for the week ahead.

I think having diversity in the food and type of food you eat is key.

I duno how it's a pain, maybe because I almost always cook for myself. Most of the time you're just leaving stuff in the oven or the pot or the pan and waiting for a while, job done
    I find microwave meals totally mank. Could make much nicer stuff myself with bigger portions and less calories cos I'm not using half a tub of cream or whatever they put in them half the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Obviously fast food every single day might not be best but I ****ing hate the holier than thou snobbish attitude of some people who almost look down on people who say they like a mcdonalds burger or a chinese.

" oh god no, how could you put that crap in your body, so many additives and salt, the chinese wouldn't eat their own food, have you no personal pride "

**** off you prick and take your judgemental preaching elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,158 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It takes ten minutes to cook up a chicken+rice+curry sauce, chicken+spaghetti+sauce, bacon+potatoes+gravy+peas, burger on a bap with lettuce, or any of a dozen other simple dishes.

Anybody who says they don't want to cook for one is a lazy, lying, fat ****er, there is **** all cooking involved in turning on the oven or putting some rice in water and yet thats all you have to do to make a meal healthier than anything from the chipper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I eat well Monday to Friday. That means preparing home cooked healthy meals to eat throughout the day. On a Saturday and Sunday I'll lose the run of myself and get Dominoes or some sort of takeaway and generally not give a f**k. Its all about balance in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I need to cook more. I am also lethal for microwaveable meals. Even nice ones, from M&S or whatever have too much salt and preservative sh"t in them.

I invested heavily in Tupperware a while back for all the batch cooking I was going to do. Now I have a press full of plastic containers and a freezer full of M&S meals. Because I am a lazy ar&e. I think this will have to he the new year's resolution.

I do eat a very varied diet though with a load of fish, so I think that helps. I had a full suite of blood tests done last week and all that came back was that I am slightly folic acid deficient. So I must up the spinach, not that I will be getting pregnant or anything. I was just slightly surprised at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was watching a TV programme about unhealthy eating habits and it featured a family in the UK who ate at fast food places (McDs, KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut etc.) every single day. They were all grossly overweight and it didn't seem to bother them that their diet was so lousy.

But, if given the chance, would you eat at fast good places every day to save the bother of cooking? Wouldn't it be a bit expensive? Also, fast food doesn't have to mean junk food - you could have a salad from a salad bar for example.

So would you eat fast food every day? Or even more than once a week?

No way. I pig out the odd time but often I end up not even enjoying the greasiness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I think it's all about carbohydrates. The most unhealthy part of a burger is the bun. The worst part of a pizza is the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

FortySeven wrote: »
    I'm currently living on fast food. I find it really difficult to cook for one. It's not healthy. Don't care. It's better than a fridge full of two third portions leftover.

Freeze the food you don't eat..? I live with a family of 5 but I cook myself lunches and dinners to bring with me to college because Im in college for about 12 hours every day 6 days a week. I make big batches of chill con carne or chicken curry or little meals like that, like about 8 or 9 portions in each batch and then freeze them. Then have them all over the course of the month, you can cook for one pretty easily with very little wastage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I think it's all about carbohydrates. The most unhealthy part of a burger is the bun. The worst part of a pizza is the base.

Its all about the carbohydatres and then not doing any exercise..carbs are unfairly demonised, they are necessary, they provide energy. They just get a bad rap because most people are too busy or lazy to exercise and the energy is converted into fat

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

When I lived on my own i got my first steamer & weekdays I'd stick lots a veg in & always enough for 2 days. Then I'd grill/fry piece of fish/chicken /steak. If I wanted a carb night I'd have fresh pasta with pesto or stir fry veg with noodles - all v quick meals. I'd would have ate out or get take away once or twice at the w/e though. I wouldn't like take away every night I'd be like a heifer! Even salads are usually laden with oily dressings etc. Now have a family i have a responsibility to them to try n feed them them relatively healthy stuff we have the odd take away as a treat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its all about the carbohydatres and then not doing any exercise..carbs are unfairly demonised, they are necessary, they provide energy. They just get a bad rap because most people are too busy or lazy to exercise and the energy is converted into fat

Yes. So if your going to be a lazy fck. Like most people are, You don't need carbs.

Sure you can eat foods that are high in carbohydrates, if you are going to burn off the energy. But if you're going to drive home, play Xbox all evening, jack off and fall asleep, Then you don't need carbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I'd have a take away maybe once every 2/3 weeks. That's enough for me.
    As nice as they taste, I just feel like crap after them. I love cooking though so if I have a craving I'll make a healthier version of the takeaway I'm craving e.g. pizza, chinese, burger etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,310 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What amazes me is that those people did not get sick of the fast food.

I am not into Pizza's/Chinese/Indian takeaways. But I do like the occasional burger and chips from the Italian chipper every two/three months.
    I would never go near the multinational takeaway like McDonalds etc because it is awful muck altogether tasteless stuff and it leaves you hungrier then when you started!

Fast food does make you feel heavy and bloated though, it is like your body telling you this sh*te is not nourishing where is me veg?

In answer to your question about fast food every day. If I could I like to get my food quickly but I gather up the healthier stuff like microwave baby potatoes if I am a hurry or a salad sandwich. Or steam spuds and veg cos it is quicker. I realise microwave baby potatoes are the height of laziness (and an insult to our potato famine forefathers) but sure it is quick and kept me fed until the next feed.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rainman16 wrote: »

Its not.

People that think like that are going to make the national diet yo-yo again.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I'd have a take away maybe once every 2/3 weeks. That's enough for me.
    As nice as they taste, I just feel like crap after them. I love cooking though so if I have a craving I'll make a healthier version of the takeaway I'm craving e.g. pizza, chinese, burger etc.
    I used to do fish and chip Fridays. Get a fillet of white fish, batter it (using a batter recipe found online), fry it at a high temperature for a few minutes to get it crispy, and finish it off in the oven where the chips were cooking. I really need to do this again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I couldn't eat fast food every day but there's no harm having a treat every so often. During the week, I cook extra so I have enough for lunches. Once a fortnight we get a takeaway

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Most of my food is pre packaged / pre made / fast.

Either take-away, canteen, packaged sandwich, deli sandwich, food in disposable aluminium baking trays from butchers / dunnes etc.

I can cook no problem, but cooking for one is a waste of time and not worth the effort.

I'm alone to and cook almost every day for myself
    cook more than one meal a day left over goes in freezer for a day I don't wat to cook

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Most of my food is pre packaged / pre made / fast.

Either take-away, canteen, packaged sandwich, deli sandwich, food in disposable aluminium baking trays from butchers / dunnes etc.

I can cook no problem, but cooking for one is a waste of time and not worth the effort.

Same as myself. In my case I usually don't get home till 8-9pm most evenings (start later though) and who is in the mood to start cooking then??

When I am home earlier though it's usually "fast food" in the airfryer (unless I had something in the office canteen that day), or maybe make myself a chicken curry at the weekend (like tonight). I'm not a "foodie" and no interest in cooking for an hour only to eat it in 10 minutes.

Despite this, my office job, and hour-long commute (each way) I'm actually not a whale or destroyed with acne :p But then I might barely eat at all some days purely because I wouldn't be that hungry so it must all balance out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

How do you feed a family of five for five euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No I get sick of fast food really easily. Not that I don't enjoy it mind, love it, but anymore than 2 or 3 days in a row and I'm craving real food and vegetables and ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

How do you feed a family of five for five euro?

Tesco's 12c instant noodles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Today I will mostly be eating rashers, sausages, eggs, beans, toast, black and whit pudding and mushrooms.
    /hangover.

Advertisement