Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eating Fast Food Every Day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What amazes me is that those people did not get sick of the fast food.

I am not into Pizza's/Chinese/Indian takeaways. But I do like the occasional burger and chips from the Italian chipper every two/three months.
    I would never go near the multinational takeaway like McDonalds etc because it is awful muck altogether tasteless stuff and it leaves you hungrier then when you started!

Fast food does make you feel heavy and bloated though, it is like your body telling you this sh*te is not nourishing where is me veg?

In answer to your question about fast food every day. If I could I like to get my food quickly but I gather up the healthier stuff like microwave baby potatoes if I am a hurry or a salad sandwich. Or steam spuds and veg cos it is quicker. I realise microwave baby potatoes are the height of laziness (and an insult to our potato famine forefathers) but sure it is quick and kept me fed until the next feed.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I think it's all about carbohydrates. The most unhealthy part of a burger is the bun. The worst part of a pizza is the base.

Its not.

People that think like that are going to make the national diet yo-yo again.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I'd have a take away maybe once every 2/3 weeks. That's enough for me.
    As nice as they taste, I just feel like crap after them. I love cooking though so if I have a craving I'll make a healthier version of the takeaway I'm craving e.g. pizza, chinese, burger etc.
    I used to do fish and chip Fridays. Get a fillet of white fish, batter it (using a batter recipe found online), fry it at a high temperature for a few minutes to get it crispy, and finish it off in the oven where the chips were cooking. I really need to do this again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I couldn't eat fast food every day but there's no harm having a treat every so often. During the week, I cook extra so I have enough for lunches. Once a fortnight we get a takeaway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Most of my food is pre packaged / pre made / fast.

Either take-away, canteen, packaged sandwich, deli sandwich, food in disposable aluminium baking trays from butchers / dunnes etc.

I can cook no problem, but cooking for one is a waste of time and not worth the effort.

I'm alone to and cook almost every day for myself
    cook more than one meal a day left over goes in freezer for a day I don't wat to cook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Most of my food is pre packaged / pre made / fast.

Either take-away, canteen, packaged sandwich, deli sandwich, food in disposable aluminium baking trays from butchers / dunnes etc.

I can cook no problem, but cooking for one is a waste of time and not worth the effort.

Same as myself. In my case I usually don't get home till 8-9pm most evenings (start later though) and who is in the mood to start cooking then??

When I am home earlier though it's usually "fast food" in the airfryer (unless I had something in the office canteen that day), or maybe make myself a chicken curry at the weekend (like tonight). I'm not a "foodie" and no interest in cooking for an hour only to eat it in 10 minutes.

Despite this, my office job, and hour-long commute (each way) I'm actually not a whale or destroyed with acne :p But then I might barely eat at all some days purely because I wouldn't be that hungry so it must all balance out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

How do you feed a family of five for five euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No I get sick of fast food really easily. Not that I don't enjoy it mind, love it, but anymore than 2 or 3 days in a row and I'm craving real food and vegetables and ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

How do you feed a family of five for five euro?

Tesco's 12c instant noodles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Today I will mostly be eating rashers, sausages, eggs, beans, toast, black and whit pudding and mushrooms.
    /hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I think it's all about carbohydrates. The most unhealthy part of a burger is the bun. The worst part of a pizza is the base.

You need a balanced diet. Too much carbohydrates, proteins or fats and you'll soon suffer negative effects.

Burger Buns and Pizza Bases might contain alot of simple carbohydrates but if you are looking to give your body a quick energy release then they are fine. If you are eating them expecting a slow release of energy of a complex carbohydrate gives you like oats or wholegrain foods then there is a misunderstanding in nutrition and it can lead to weight gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't eat a huge amount of conventional takeaway like chips/burgers, but I do eat a lot of convenience stuff like Deli sandwiches, Subway, etc - wouldn't be under any illusion they're super healthy, but they're reasonable enough if your fillings are fairly modest (for me it's plain chicken breast, cheese, lettuce, onion, pepper). Favorite takeaway hands down would be burritos, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I eat too much fast food. I live on my own and cooking for one is a right pain - I'm a terrible fiend for microwaveable ready meals that are full of salt and fat. I am trying to cook more - things at the weekend and freezing them for the week ahead.

I think having diversity in the food and type of food you eat is key.

I don't get that people consider cooking for one a pain. I can fry a juicy pork chop in literally 7-8 minutes total. In that time, noodles can also be cooked. Add condiments. A good, basic meal.

And there are loads of meals that can be cooked in less than half an hour. Or with an hour to two hours, one can batch cook a pile of meals and put the freezer to good use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,371 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You'd be better throwing the fast food away and eating the containers. Healthier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Why do people say cooking for one is such a hassle? I've been cooking for one most of my adult life! Ok I wouldn't bother cooking anything fancy unless I had guests (which is never) but you can whip up a curry or stir fry or some fish and veg or anything basic like that fairly easily without burning the house down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why do people say cooking for one is such a hassle?

They are just making excuses, you can easily cook a simple meal quicker than it would take to go and get a take-away, or to sit on your fat ass waiting for a delivery.

I don't even like freezing meals for later in the week, I would cook everything fresh and it still only takes a few minutes effort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I don't even like freezing meals for later in the week, I would cook everything fresh and it still only takes a few minutes effort.

Same here, and sadly cooking dinner is usually the highlight of my day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Tesco's 12c instant noodles.

And you don't think that's fast food?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

They are just making excuses, you can easily cook a simple meal quicker than it would take to go and get a take-away, or to sit on your fat ass waiting for a delivery.

I think it's the mental energy it takes to plan a meal rather than the time taken. That's why a little forward planning is a good idea, for instance the frozen meal that's there when you really need it, or building up a repertoire of easy meals you can put together without having to think about it.

And you don't think that's fast food?

I was joking?

• Advertisement

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    I don't get that people consider cooking for one a pain. I can fry a juicy pork chop in literally 7-8 minutes total. In that time, noodles can also be cooked. Add condiments. A good, basic meal.

And there are loads of meals that can be cooked in less than half an hour. Or with an hour to two hours, one can batch cook a pile of meals and put the freezer to good use.

I don't like cooking for one or more than one, I force myself to do it a few days a week but no way would I cook everyday and not much at weekends.

However I also find the shopping for said food and having to try plan what I need just as painful so I'd imagine others include the having to shop part too in their dislike of cooking. Then there is the washing up and cleaning up too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

It takes ten minutes to cook up a chicken+rice+curry sauce, chicken+spaghetti+sauce, bacon+potatoes+gravy+peas, burger on a bap with lettuce, or any of a dozen other simple dishes.

Anybody who says they don't want to cook for one is a lazy, lying, fat ****er, there is **** all cooking involved in turning on the oven or putting some rice in water and yet thats all you have to do to make a meal healthier than anything from the chipper.

Lazy, lying fat ****er? That's a small bit over the top.

Ten minutes? What about the planning, buying the ingredients then washing up? Much more involved than the time you spend preparing / cooking.

I've a demanding job and am well paid, I don't have time to be wasting cooking, that's for plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

Ten minutes? What about the planning, buying the ingredients then washing up? Much more involved than the time you spend preparing / cooking.

I've a demanding job and am well paid, I don't have time to be wasting cooking, that's for plebs.

Cooking is very good for managing stress actually. The whole process of preparing good food (preferably for yourself and family or close friends) is a very primal, healing and fulfilling skill actually.

Even self important plonkers who feel they are in demanding and well paid jobs could benefit from that. Too bad some of them are just too thick to realise it. Funny though....

daithi7 wrote: »
    Cooking is very good for managing stress actually.

For some perhaps, but not all.. I for example (weirdly) find hoovering very relaxing.. but I wouldn't presume everyone should break out the Dyson to find inner contentment :p

As I said above, I have a long day as it is and I'm not "into" food beyond the obvious need for survival. I don't like grocery shopping and get through it as quickly as possible, and spending maybe an hour to prep and then clean up after a meal I'll eat in 10 minutes just seems like a huge amount of wasted effort - especially as I only eat/like a few different things most of the time.

That said, I limit actual takeaways to once a week and don't eat that much anyway so it all balances out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Just cooked a lovely chicken fajita for one person.........blackened chicken, onions and red pepper, grated cheese with homemade salsa & coriander wrapped in tortilla. Better than any takeaway. Prep and cooking took 20mins.

Involved? Yeah, the exacting mental stress of pouring water into a saucepan, putting in a bag of rice and then setting it on the hob. The harsh labour of turning the oven on, putting some tin foil on a tray, laying some chicken fillets on the tray and putting it in the oven. Don't even talk about the torture of opening one of the many different brands of curry sauce available.

Anybody who tries to pretend there is anything involved or taxing about the cooking of very basic meals is either too dumb to tie their laces, or more likely just a lazy slob looking for an excuse. Trying to pretend cooking a meal is some big undertaking is just laughable.

Anybody who tries to pretend there is anything involved or taxing about the cooking of very basic meals is either too dumb to tie their laces, or more likely just a lazy slob looking for an excuse. Trying to pretend cooking a meal is some big undertaking is just laughable.

Or maybe some people just don't enjoy cooking and prefer alternatives?

Calm down there with the dramatics. Each to their own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I go to college from 9am til 8pm with further study when I get home. And I manage fine, yes it takes a little bit longer than 10 mins but its worth it. Time really isn't an excuse, I doubt there are many people who work that long every day of the week

But anyway, if you have the money, then sure why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

A bit of blind ignorance seems like a popular side order for a lot of you take away eaters.

Find it a waste of time to cook for one? Maybe cook for two and have the second portion the next day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'd get far more stressed waiting for someone to deliver a takeaway or having to go out and get fast food than cooking :pac:

But then I love cooking and think about meal creation all of the time. It's a daily obsession.

That's not to say I don't get a pizza every so often when I'm in the local for a drink but it would never even occur to me to get takeaway mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I have a Pizza Dog once a week.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Or maybe some people just don't enjoy cooking and prefer alternatives?

Calm down there with the dramatics. Each to their own!

I wouldn't even call that **** cooking to be honest, turning an oven on, shoving something inside then waiting ten minutes isn't cooking yet still is ten times healthier that shoving chips in your gob.

I wouldn't even call that **** cooking to be honest, turning an oven on, shoving something inside then waiting ten minutes isn't cooking yet still is ten times healthier that shoving chips in your gob.

In your opinion! And that's fine... but your opinion is not law and people are entitled to theirs as well.

I know such ideas of independent thought are dangerous these days, but there ya go!

Enjoy your dinner :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Involved? Yeah, the exacting mental stress of pouring water into a saucepan, putting in a bag of rice and then setting it on the hob. The harsh labour of turning the oven on, putting some tin foil on a tray, laying some chicken fillets on the tray and putting it in the oven. Don't even talk about the torture of opening one of the many different brands of curry sauce available.

When I had a long commute from where I lived to work, I was up at 6ish, left my house by 7:25 and I would get home after 9pm. I could absolutely cook when I got home, but I wouldn't be able to eat it so late. In addition to working, I had dogs to walk, house to keep clean and laundry to do. Prepping meals on the days I worked was not on my radar, no interest. I would have a dinner on a Sunday but wouldn't eat a dinner every day. I would have some breakfast, soup or sandwich or a donut or noodles or a salad (rarely) at lunch and probably a sandwich or a pasta salad or something on the way home after work.

To me, that's no big deal. It's a routine I got into. The way you're going on it's almost like it's a crime not to make your own dinner. Get a grip

Malari wrote: »
    I'd get far more stressed waiting for someone to deliver a takeaway or having to go out and get fast food than cooking :pac:

Yes!!!! I hate the takeaway dance and could have my dinner cooked and eaten whilst waiting for a mediocre, hugely fattening meal to arrive.

I also love cooking and think I'm pretty good at it.

To me, that's no big deal. It's a routine I got into. The way you're going on it's almost like it's a crime not to make your own dinner. Get a grip

It's the new norm I'm afraid... what?? You're not on message with the "better", "validated" choice? You monster you! Now I have to "educate" (berate) you until you see the error of your ways. :rolleyes:

It's not even December and yet there's snowflakes everywhere this week! :p

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    I also love cooking and think I'm pretty good at it.

And there's the point - you enjoy cooking and fair play :) But not everyone does, and many prefer to spend that time doing something else - especially if that cooking is just for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Generally cook on weekdays and get a take away on a Saturday night. Chinese or Indian usually and unless we're really starving we tend to divide a main course between us and get a rice and chip to share.
    I couldn't eat fast food every day as one look at my brother in law and his family has shown me the effects. He's obese, his wife is not far off it and sadly his kids are heading down the same road. The eldest started secondary school this year and has put on so much weight even in the past few months The younger two are in primary but are both starting to get very chubby.
    If the adults want to ruin their own life and health, then that's their problem, but I think it's horrible that they don't care what they're doing to their own kids purely because they're too bloody lazy to bother cooking and instead take the easy option of Chinese/chipper/pizza seven nights a week, and it IS laziness because neither of them are working so it's not a case of coming home tired from work and then having to turn round and start preparing and cooking a dinner.

And there's the point - you enjoy cooking and fair play :) But not everyone does, and many prefer to spend that time doing something else - especially if that cooking is just for themselves.

Well, of course. But cooking is also a basic life skill and it's important to eat a healthy diet. By far the easiest way to do this is to cook for oneself because not only do you know what's gone into the meal but you can control the portion size. I believe lack of portion control is a really important factor in the rising obesity levels in the country. We generally eat way too many calories for our sedentary lifestyles. Of course nobody has to do any of this but that doesn't mean nobody else is allowed to make the point. You can chose to heed it or ignore it. That's totally up to the individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

It's the new norm I'm afraid... what?? You're not on message with the "better", "validated" choice? You monster you! Now I have to "educate" (berate) you until you see the error of your ways. :rolleyes:

It's not even December and yet there's snowflakes everywhere this week! :p

Have to agree with you, and I come from the cook fresh everyday camp. Someone enjoys cooking and has such an issue with a complete stranger not cooking and eating out instead that they call them a dumb, lazy fucker. That person has issues of their own to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I've gone through phases of eating a couple of take aways a week. It's not good and you feel like sh*t.

Those take away containers are €1.50 for 8 in dealz. I've just filled the freezer with them. Chilli, spicy chicken pasta, chicken noodle soup, meatballs, curry. Will keep me going for a bit.

Also have a chicken marinating nandos style for tomorrow. Feckin yum.

I've gone through phases of eating a couple of take aways a week. It's not good and you feel like sh*t.

Those take away containers are €1.50 for 8 in dealz. I've just filled the freezer with them. Chilli, spicy chicken pasta, chicken noodle soup, meatballs, curry. Will keep me going for a bit.

Also have a chicken marinating nandos style for tomorrow. Feckin yum.

Is it 8 of them? Shows how long it's been since I used them, I thought it was six!

Dealz do class soup mugs with sealable lids too. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

You're not still focused on the "cooking" part alone, not that I'd call what you do cooking.

You eat pre made curry sauce? Do you not know how bad for you they are? You filthy lying lazy fat ****ing ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

i love fast food, but id imagine living on a diet of the stuff would give you depression, not to mention the physical effects.

i never feel good after a mcdonalds. diet plays an important part in you feel. you feel better that you're eating better.

the anti fast food sentiment is probably coming from older posters who were used to coddles and stews back in their day. when they ate what was given to them and nothing more. arguably a better time, health wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

No. I am far far far too vain and fast food makes me look vile.

• Advertisement

Katgurl wrote: »
    No. I am far far far too vain and fast food makes me look vile.

Ha, and how does it make you sound!? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Is toast a fast food?
    It's food
    And it's fast enough if your toaster is decent

Edups wrote: »
    Is toast a fast food?
    It's food
    And it's fast enough if your toaster is decent

I dunno, but apparently burning it and then eating it can lead to a fast life, which is tragic.

Though I love my toast, brown bread toasted with honey or butter spread....yum, yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

daithi7 wrote: »
    I dunno, but apparently burning it and then eating it can lead to a fast life, which is tragic.

Does same apply if I scrape off the burnt?

Edups wrote: »
    Does same apply if I scrape off the burnt?

I dunno, what would be your hunch though!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement