Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Fast Food Every Day

Options
  • 12-11-2016 1:39am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was watching a TV programme about unhealthy eating habits and it featured a family in the UK who ate at fast food places (McDs, KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut etc.) every single day. They were all grossly overweight and it didn't seem to bother them that their diet was so lousy.

But, if given the chance, would you eat at fast good places every day to save the bother of cooking? Wouldn't it be a bit expensive? Also, fast food doesn't have to mean junk food - you could have a salad from a salad bar for example.

So would you eat fast food every day? Or even more than once a week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gossamer

No. And I rarely eat takeaway which means I'm great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

You'd want to be some lazy arsed pig or a homeless beggar to eat like that tbf.
    A thrifty enough fecker could feed a family of say five well on seven euros a day.
    These grotesque piggies need a boot in the hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Most of my food is pre packaged / pre made / fast.

Either take-away, canteen, packaged sandwich, deli sandwich, food in disposable aluminium baking trays from butchers / dunnes etc.

I can cook no problem, but cooking for one is a waste of time and not worth the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I'm currently living on fast food. I find it really difficult to cook for one. It's not healthy. Don't care. It's better than a fridge full of two third portions leftover.

• Advertisement

You'd want to be some lazy arsed pig or a homeless beggar to eat like that tbf.
    A thrifty enough fecker could feed a family of say five well on seven euros a day.
    These grotesque piggies need a boot in the hole.

I can feed a family of five very well for five euros a day. Don't talk to me about thrifty, I'm Scottish.

I'm now single, cooking has no interest. Please roll back a bit on the judgemental name calling. Pig? Beggar? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Most of my food is pre packaged / pre made / fast.

Either take-away, canteen, packaged sandwich, deli sandwich, food in disposable aluminium baking trays from butchers / dunnes etc.

I can cook no problem, but cooking for one is a waste of time and not worth the effort.

Uggghhh, so much processed food is so bad for you.

My advice fwiw is to learn to use the microwave. I can cook beautiful fish in olive oil, steamed brocolli & other veg and say some nice baked or steamed baby, or sweet potatoes, in 3 plastic containers in about 10 minutes. That makes for a very tasty, wholesome and healthy dinner in under 10 minutes.

My main reason for going to the takeaway occasionally is to now restock my plastic containers that get a bit tired from all the use. I'd recommend it tbh. Processed food is not good imho.

FortySeven wrote: »
    I can feed a family of five very well for five euros a day. Don't talk to me about thrifty, I'm Scottish.

I'm now single, cooking has no interest. Please roll back a bit on the judgemental name calling. Pig? Beggar? Really?

Look being Irish I didn't want to boast like, but I can feed a family of twenty on ten cent per head per day. Beat that sonny Jim :P

Look being Irish I didn't want to boast like, but I can feed a family of twenty a day on ten cent per head. Beat that sonny Jim :P

Well I'm Scottish, that gruel you're feeding your family is only through the charity of my people in support of your fight of the English!

Oh wait. It's 2016 and you're either fibbing or a skip raking hippy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Back in my day fast food was stuff that ran away that you had to throw spears at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

When I lived alone I would have a cooking day kinda - Id make 4 or 5 dishes and freeze 4 or 5 portions of each. Now, I didnt eat say 20 meals over 20 days, but I ate 20 over 25-30. I like cooking though so I enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

daithi7 wrote: »
    Uggghhh, so much processed food is so bad for you.

My advice fwiw is to learn to use the microwave. I can cook beautiful fish in olive oil, steamed brocolli & other veg and say some nice baked or steamed baby, or sweet potatoes, in 3 plastic containers in about 10 minutes. That makes for a very tasty, wholesome and healthy dinner in under 10 minutes.

My main reason for going to the takeaway occasionally is to now restock my plastic containers that get a bit tired from all the use. I'd recommend it tbh. Processed food is not good imho.

Those plastic containers were not designed to be microwaved over and over again.There are most likely dangerous toxins leaching into your wholesome food.Eating fast food everyday would be far better for your health.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Well I'm Scottish, that gruel you're feeding your family is only through the charity of my people in support of your fight of the English!

Oh wait. It's 2016 and you're either fibbing or a skip raking hippy. :)

:D Well I'm Irish, the land of saints and scholars, remind me again of the scots tag? :P

Back in my day fast food was stuff that ran away that you had to throw spears at.

G'wan ya big spear chucker you!:pac:

magentis wrote: »
    Those plastic containers were not designed to be microwaved over and over again.There are most likely dangerous toxins leaching into your wholesome food.Eating fast food everyday would be far better for your health.

They are marked microwave safe, CE, etc. Isn't that good enough!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

G'wan ya big spear chucker you!:pac:

I was born in the 1970's. We used to have to walk barefoot through the snow in the jungle to get to school while the monkeys threw coconuts at us. Damn those dirty apes. :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I eat too much fast food. I live on my own and cooking for one is a right pain - I'm a terrible fiend for microwaveable ready meals that are full of salt and fat. I am trying to cook more - things at the weekend and freezing them for the week ahead.

I think having diversity in the food and type of food you eat is key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

No.They are safe to be microwaved once or twice, but not over and over again,the composition of the plastic used is the issue here.They are disposable.Best get containers tested and designed for constant reuse.

magentis wrote: »
    No.They are safe to be microwaved once or twice, but not over and over again,the composition of the plastic used is the issue here.They are disposable.Best get containers tested and designed for constant reuse.

Thanks for the advice. That's a pity, cos they are bloody handy, being the ideal size, stacking shape and nice and light and easy to clean, far better than any ones I have ever bought tbh, and I have some from most of the leading brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Hear
    Hare
    Here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Ah the lure of fast food, and the regret afterwards. There have been times when I was so tired and hungry I just said "feck it" and got a filet o'fish meal. Between the expense and the sick feeling afterwards, I couldn't do it often.

I don't agree that cooking for one is necessarily more awkward or expensive, though it can take more imagination when you're not much of a cook (which I'm not). When I lived alone I would buy a few of whatever fish that was reduced and freeze them to be thawed when required and cooked with some herby oven chips and a bit of quick salad. Spaghetti bolognese tastes better the next day and freezes well. I got a great recipe for butternut squash soup that only takes 20 minutes to cook. And so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Microwave safe for a 2/3 uses yes, but plastic has an 'off' date. You see the use by dates on bottles of water? Thats for the plastic bottle, not the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Electric Pressure Cooker :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maximus277

I've been eating take aways 3 times a day for the past 6 years and have the body of a Varsity athlete.

My friend says that I am a total freak of nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i eat 'fast food' about 4 or 5 times a week and i'm not fat (anymore!). fast food itself isn't the problem, it's the quantity people eat

and there's nothing inherently unhealthy about fast food. a mcdonalds double cheeseburger (about 400 calories) is still just beef, cheese, bread and salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I like KFC. You get it, eat it and feel disgusting in a good way. A week later you do it again and just feel disgusted.

I think with KFC especially you need to leave a few months between it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I have take away about once a week, usually on Friday and would cook something the rest of the week that could last for a few days , like a curry, pasta bake or bolognese.

However in places like Bangkok some apartments come without kitchens as eating out is so cheap over there and their fast food is healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Wouldn't eat fast food everyday, but I do enjoy fast food all the same. Usually go to the Chinese or the Chipper on a Saturday night, would often at McDonalds or Burger King if I was out and about, and love ordering Pizza every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Well done that family; I'm glad they eat whatever they want. The insidious judgementalism in society annoys me.

• Advertisement

Would get about 5 takeaways a year.

Wouldn't be that careful about diet, eat plenty of the homemade burger/spag bol/risotto type meals. Plus I can get by on 2 sandwiches a day, so often don't even cook. Just not into takeaways.

Advertisement