Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Cork produce the greatest sports people in Ireland

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

ProudDUB wrote: »
    G'wan then.

March up to some hard as nails, tough nut from Nort Iron and tell him that he lacks ability.

I'll hold yer coat. :p

typical dub trying to rob coats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Fabulous sporting county.

No so good at elocution . English in particular.

That sound genuinely comical when they talk .

oh the irony :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Not particularly interested in the Olympics so good on the Corkonians if they are bringing home the medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭yellowcandle

Cork have produced some proper sports people who have achieved major goals on a world stage. More power to them! Northern Ireland are top of the class when it comes to golfers and boxers. As a small wee country we perform very well on the world stage. :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Remember the old saying.

The difference between a Cork team and the Ryder cup team is that there's only one Langer on the Ryder cup tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Cork have produced some proper sports people who have achieved major goals on a world stage. More power to them! Northern Ireland are top of the class when it comes to golfers and boxers. As a small wee country we perform very well on the world stage. :cool:

And motorsport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Am throwing Monaghan into the ring in this battle with our hard hitters of Barry McGuigan, Kevin McBride and Christine McMahon. I will tackle your assumption that Cork is the greatest with the help of Tommy Bowe and I think Conor McManus will possibly go down as one of the all time greats in GAA. Oh and my dad has many European and world medals for old fecker running.

I am probably missing a few but that will do for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 SeantoBarry

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Not in a sport that only about 7 or 8 counties in the county take seriously.

Unfortunately, the same could nearly be said of the football. Only a few teams have a realistic chance of going all the way. 30 All Irelands is very impressive. Especially considering Kilkennys recent dominance.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Paul O'Donovan just won gold in singles at the world championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Anyone wanting to celebrate true heroes, head for Skibb on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I guess we all now,know the answer to that question ;).

Bret Hart wrote: »

"Sport".

WWE, MMA and Strictly Come Dancing don't count, they're "entertainment".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Frank "The Tank" McCarthy's victory in the wellie throwing contest at the recent Ballycotton Harvest Festival tells us that Cork are still on top!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Joe prim wrote:
    Don't forget the Ballinacurra Hare, John Joe Somethingorother, wasn't he from Cork too, or somewhere down the bog inanyways ?

John Joe Barry, the Ballincurry Hare, was from Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The greatest intercounty hurler of all time was Christy Ring. He played for the Cork Senior hurlers from 1939 to 1963. Retiring from intercounty at 43 years of age.

A legend.

8 All Ireland medals.

9 Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The greatest intercounty hurler of all time was Christy Ring. He played for the Cork Senior hurlers from 1939 to 1963. Retiring from intercounty at 43 years of age.

A legend.

8 All Ireland medals.

9 Munster.

It hurts me to say
    ....but I'm pretty sure Henry shuffling wipes the board with him when it comes to all Ireland's

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It hurts me to say
    ....but I'm pretty sure Henry shuffling wipes the board with him when it comes to all Ireland's

He wasn't the player Christy was though, different times and a different game. Christy played in a time when Tipp were just as good as them. That's part of of his legend, Munster was a battle every year, you'd good Waterford and Limerick teams in there to boot.

Tipp's John Doyle later beat Ring's record with 8 AI medals and 10 Munsters.

But no man woman or child would ever deny that Ring was the greatest hurler ever to pick a piece of Ash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

But no man woman or child would ever deny that Ring was the greatest hurler ever to pick a piece of Ash.

You can't really compare, whatever about relative competition I'd surmise that modern hurlers would be better/stronger athletes. CR may have excelled, but he would also have had to adapt to a different game.

A Corkonian (In Exile)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

"Sport".

WWE, MMA and Strictly Come Dancing don't count, they're "entertainment".

HA :confused:

Advertisement