Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Cork produce the greatest sports people in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

foxatron wrote: »
    This thread is a joke..... right?!

No this is dead serious, Cork people deserve Ireland's acknowledgement and love. Especially because they are 'FROM CORK'.. Have I mentioned Cork people are the best at everything yet. I had a black cat but this fella from Cork ' actually had a blacker cat like'... He was great. Yes, he was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

- Personal abuse of anyone be they other posters, players, managers, referees, pundits etc. Any personal abuse will result in an infraction or a ban.

The O'Donovans are fantastic characters

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭gigantic09

The greatest ever irish Olympian is Mayo native Martin Sheridan who won 9 medals (5 gold) at the beginning of last century.He emigrated to the U.S at 18 and represented them in 3 Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Ireland. Super cool Ireland, cities, provinces, counties, towns, villages and hinterlands.

A small Island on the Western seaboard training hard, working hard, performing hard, winning gold, winning silver, winning bronze... from all the four corners of the island... boxing, sailing, rugby, rally driving, athletics, swimming, soccer, rowing, cycling... and all other forms of sport, inside and outside of the Olympics, professional and amature... yellow jerseys, Worldwide recognition, respect and kudos.

Unified in glory? No. Lets divide it up and dampen the spirit and pick a parish that we've perceived is better than another one.

Fook off Princess Consuela Bananahammock. We, as a nation and as an Island are punching way above our weight. And, we're doing all right. We're together and cheering each other on. And will continue to do so!

COYBIG COYGIG. United in sports.
    Yeah, I agree, all together in one great united brotherhood of the Gael, sharing the tears and the glory,as our little island punches way above its weight while still having the crack.

(Except for Roy Keane, he's a cnut)

(Oh, and "Little" Rory McIlroy, he's a virus-fearing, girlfriend-hopping, Barnes-baiting Westbrit, so he is......)

If Katie Taylor, Brian o Driscoll, and Rory McIlroy are from Cork, then Yes
    What has Rory McIlroy got to do with sport, let alone Irish sport?

I'll never forget Greg Allen speaking about Rory's "mental fatigue" problem, which he said "is a big problem among golfers". It was at that moment I was convinced that golf deserves about as much respect as a game of Connect 4.

Mental fatigue. What are they, Victorian ladies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

To paraphrase another famous Corkman's words, it was a second place, they failed.
    They are disappointed themselves. Must do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

To paraphrase another famous Corkman's words, it was a second place, they failed.
    They are disappointed themselves. Must do better.
    In all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Donegal has the most Olympians this year AFAIK so there.

Contributed a fair few to the soccer team as well, good few players have Donegal roots.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I've no idea OP,

But fair play to the lads on the silver medals. Was great news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 SeantoBarry

K-9 wrote: »
    Donegal has the most Olympians this year AFAIK so there.

Contributed a fair few to the soccer team as well, good few players have Donegal roots.

Great goalkeepers! Keep them coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

What has Rory McIlroy got to do with sport, let alone Irish sport?

I'll never forget Greg Allen speaking about Rory's "mental fatigue" problem, which he said "is a big problem among golfers". It was at that moment I was convinced that golf deserves about as much respect as a game of Connect 4.

Mental fatigue. What are they, Victorian ladies?

Most sportsmen would probably suffer a degree of mental fatigue at times during their careers.

Having to get yourself motivated to give it your all over and over again would take a bit out of you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This thread is pretty sad. Ireland wins a silver medal and somebody starts to bicker over the fact that they're from Cork.

Ireland is a small country - there is really no place for people to nitpick over what county/parish they come from!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

mansize wrote: »
    Harri has Cork connections tbf

Harington's Dad,BOD's mother and his dad's parents are from Cork....just saying like...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

shooting Michael Collins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

downwesht wrote: »
    Cork people are great competitors and it is in their nature to strive for perfection.
    There is a "no give in" attitude in Cork and it is this makes us the best county in Ireland.
    Living and working in Skibbereen and being from Cobh (Sonia land) I think that I am more than qualified to have this opinion!!!!!
    "Close the eyes and pull like a dog!!!"

Your sex life is not relevant to this discussion.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

This country is not small enough for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

O Gara and Stringer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I dont think its a coincidence that all the sports that cork people excel in involve fleeing .

plus that accent is just horrible

Most sportsmen would probably suffer a degree of mental fatigue at times during their careers.

Having to get yourself motivated to give it your all over and over again would take a bit out of you.
    Be off with your facts & reason, and let me stew in unmitigated contempt for McIlroy, willyou?

I have to say I have a real appreciation for Padraig Harrington after hearing a couple of his interviews. His enthusiasm for golf at the Olympics is a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

munster87 wrote: »
    O Gara and Stringer

Marcus and Mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Conor Hourihane the soccer player is doing pretty well for himself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Only 7 football All Irelands. Not great is it?

Kerry have how many? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gossamer

Produces the greatest shower of **** more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

gossamer wrote: »
    Produces the greatest shower of **** more like.

The phrase shower of **** really conjures up some horrific images.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 SeantoBarry

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Only 7 football All Irelands. Not great is it?

30 in the Hurling which is pretty impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

jackwigan wrote: »
    If you re-arrange the letters in ROG you get GOD, if you add a D and remove the R that is...

ROG is from San Diego.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes indeed, Rog is a blow in.
    OP said he was not from Cork, some have little humour.
    No one better at calling out a pretender. We even have our own word for it.

30 in the Hurling which is pretty impressive.

Not in a sport that only about 7 or 8 counties in the county take seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Not in a sport that only about 7 or 8 counties in the county take seriously.

hard to take something seriously if you suck balls at it .

its lack of ability in some counties that has so called "non hurling" counties the way they are

• Advertisement

mynamejeff wrote: »
    hard to take something seriously if you suck balls at it .

its lack of ability in some counties that has so called "non hurling" counties the way they are

G'wan then.

March up to some hard as nails, tough nut from Nort Iron and tell him that he lacks ability.

I'll hold yer coat. :p

Advertisement