Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Scientific-ish test here to see how the Froome Vrroom actually works, or if it does:

Looking at it, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a kind of saddle post that you could raise or lower (mechanically? electronically?) while cycling, so you could do the aero tuck but on a lower saddle when you wanted, rather than tucking your delicate parts onto a top tube. If you did want to. Mad thing, really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Chuchote wrote: »
    Scientific-ish test here to see how the Froome Vrroom actually works, or if it does:

Looking at it, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a kind of saddle post that you could raise or lower (mechanically? electronically?) while cycling, so you could do the aero tuck but on a lower saddle when you wanted, rather than tucking your delicate parts onto a top tube. If you did want to. Mad thing, really.

They're called remote dropper posts, see https://dirtmountainbike.com/dirt-100-2015/the-3-best-mountain-bike-dropper-seatposts-of-2014.html Used in MTB but probably not worth the extra weight in road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭secman

Kilnamanagh to blessington, on out past Russborough house , at the garage took left turn for tulferris, that road brings you out at the 2nd bridge on the road to valleymount.Went left at the bridge and headed back to the main road, right turn back to blessington and on back to Kilnamanagh. 63km Avg 27.3 kph.
    Lovely evening for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Chuchote wrote: »

You mean like the same guys tested in a follow up? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

After a few weeks off the bike I went up the phoenix park last night (beautiful evening). Did 25 km in an hour up from 20.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

cython wrote: »
    You mean like the same guys tested in a follow up? :)

Great minds… fools seldom… ;)

(What's a 'technical' descent when it's at home? I slunk out of the Patagonia shop a couple of years ago and never went back after the saleswoman told me contemptuously that of course a nice rain jacket wouldn't work for cycling in Irish rain because it was 'technical clothing'. Clearly the sprockets and flanges hanging off it were invisible to me.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

58Km this morning and it was a lovely morning. Bit too windy but hey I got out and thats the main thing

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Two parts to this morning's cycle related - part 1 - right outside my house - as I went to move my car, there was a cyclist descending the very steep hill and blind corner just above us - he came within 20 cms of a disaster, he must have been doing 60-70 kph, and clearly didn't anticipate the possibility of my car doing a 3 point turn...he got a huge fright, as did I. He stopped and we discussed....fella was properly shook up and I suspect he'll take a little more care on roads with houses adjoining in future......part 2 was a lovely 17km spin into work, averaging 26.5k with 200m of up. Was exceptionally cautious on all my descents!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Very windy around the canal and Sandyford yesterday and today on my commute. I've also been purposely taking it handy. Had a small smack with a car in Ranelagh on the way home yesterday, driver turned left over the cycle track as I was on her inside, my foot and pedal took the brunt, plus the outside of my arm. Not hurt thankfully and the only real damage was to the car where my foot dented it and I suspect the lady may need new underwear. She apologised profusely, I told her to forget the apology and to open her eyes in future. I wasn't nasty about it, but I didn't hide the fact I was annoyed

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Anyone get caught in the rain in South Dublin an hour ago? Holy shit it was mental. Haven't cycled through rain like that in a long long time. It was biblical!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭secman

Anyone get caught in the rain in South Dublin an hour ago? Holy shit it was mental. Haven't cycled through rain like that in a long long time. It was biblical!

Holy Moses ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I did...and forgot my raincoat this morning so was going up the canal in my shirt and work trousers. It was a monsoon, and i am still completely soaked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Fun race in Swords league (B option ;) ), wet and cool but had a ball... 36 k with 5-6 warmup and down so beats the sofa hands down..

Now watching womens hockey (hubba hubba)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RobFowl wrote: »
    Fun race in Swords league (B option ;) ), wet and cool but had a ball... 36 k with 5-6 warmup and down so beats the sofa hands down..

Now watching womens hockey (hubba hubba)
    Was that yourself in the VCB kit? (I was marshaling).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Was that yourself in the VCB kit? (I was marshaling).

There were 2 of us but I was the more stylish and good looking one ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not as bad as last night but a miserable morning. I got soaked in about 2 seconds.

Didn't put a damper on leaving Cert results night. Plenty of young ones falling home this morning

Drowned on the way home last night, short sleeved jersey and shorts, no mudguards. Fcukin hero I am

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Drowned on the way home last night, short sleeved jersey and shorts, no mudguards. Fcukin hero I am

I saw at least 3 people in full work attire getting destroyed in the rain! I'm talking suits, chinos or skirts! Mental! MY shoes were still wet this morning despite my best efforts last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

35k including howth before work this morning, main road over from sutton side, windgate road on way back. rain held off thankfully though was very gloomy at the summit!

haven't been getting out much recently so legs not loving me right now but on the plus side i'm about to get my 2nd main course for lunch :)

Nice 65 k his am, misty but not too cold. NCD a lovely area,

• Advertisement

Nice 65 k his am, misty but not too cold. NCD a lovely area,

I live over the other side of the city, well D8 area now but my rides always take me towards NCD. Such a nice place to cycle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

NCD a lovely area,
    that straight stretch of road south of the naul - past hollywood golf club - is a beaut southbound.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

that straight stretch of road south of the naul - past hollywood golf club - is a beaut southbound.

The R108? Find it a horrible, horrible road. Too many close passes, and vans, lorries avoiding the M1. The parrallel R122 from Naul to Oldtown and St. Margarets on the other hand

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just mean the nice long straight downhill section.
    i do prefer the other road you mention in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Weepsie wrote: »
    The R108? Find it a horrible, horrible road. Too many close passes, and vans, lorries avoiding the M1. The parrallel R122 from Naul to Oldtown and St. Margarets on the other hand

Fully agree but the Garristown road (R130) slightly further west is the best of the three IMHO. The Glebe Road is a handy link over to it from the R122.

Major resurfacing work going on in Ballyboughal this morning. Garristown works completed and a great surface now for cycling.

one of the worst surfaces i have seen in a long time is not too far from where we're talking - IIRC, take the R130 east out of garristown, and about halfway between garristown and the R122 is a crossroads with three whitewashed houses. do not take the right (i.e. turn southbound) at that junction.

Commute in, windy and stormy. Uneventful apart from falling on my arse as I was pulling up to the office. Literally sat on the ground nearly sobbing at the holy mortifying shame

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Got the clothing completely wrong today as it didnt rain at all on the commute in and it wasn't cold either. A light gilet instead of full on rain jacket would have sufficed. It hasn't stopped raining since I got in of course.
    I brought spare summer gear so I should be covered either way for getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

The bolt in my seat clamp is pooped so bought a new one. Obviously I only realised this after my seat post started slipping. At this stage I'm basically riding around with my knees up by my ears. Please God the new seat clamp gets delivered today, needed a few random bits (pedal wrench, degreaser, and some other stuff I totally didn't need but shopping online is a cruel mistress) so ordered online rather than going to the local.

Already full of regret sitting in work thinking of the cycle home and how burny my quads are going to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Just back from holidays, so wasn't expecting a whole lot from my spin - just glad to get out. But it turns out the first segment from home was a bit quicker than I thought - my first KOM :D

Paddy

https://www.strava.com/activities/681692715

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement