Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Still slightly worried about the toes going numb. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

How hot were those chillies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Chuchote wrote: »
    Still slightly worried about the toes going numb. Any ideas?

I get that when my shoes are tightened too much. Usually happens in warmer weather as feet swell with the heat.

traprunner wrote: »
    I get that when my shoes are tightened too much. Usually happens in warmer weather as feet swell with the heat.

Nope, was wearing something like this

538285-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Peterx wrote: »
    Today's cycle was sunny and warm and indeed all was well with the world. I wished for hair long enough to be swept by the wind. My back didn't have to get sweaty as I didn't have a rucksack on. The wind was of a cross windy variety and kind enough to to be behind my shoulder occasionally.
    After breaking a spoke on my training wheels today I was astride the full race bike rig out, with the asfancyasitgetsforme mighty Fulcrum Threes (Capital Letters) spinning away with the greatest ease and at least 11% more stiffness then the other ones. Well actually about 58% more stiffness then the ones with the broken spoke but hey you get the picture.
    Cycling a full carbon race bike to work, with the aforementioned occasional behind the shoulder wind, is just one of life's little pleasures and I enjoyed it so much I am here writing about it.

Update : the crankshaft broke on the way home. After managing to not snot myself from the unexpected freedom experienced by my left leg I set about enjoying the bonus walk home. After a while walking in the glorious sun felt a bit slow so I dropped the saddle and turned my race steed into an over-spec'd balance bike.
    The hollow shaft cracked in the middle, not at the end where an over tightened bolt might be to blame. I have MAX POWER :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

112 kms this morning, Greystones-Old Long Hill-Laragh-Rathdrum-Avoca-Arklow-Greystones. Felt great until Arklow and then the energy levels dropped big time. Had a couple of gels and started feeling better around Wicklow town. Beautiful weather for a spin. Think I even got a bit of colour!

https://www.strava.com/activities/690701852

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you've never done a lap of Glenasmole valley in Dublin, then you're missing a gem.

A steep and unrelenting climb past the church, allotments and NS before you can finally turn off that hellish road and start the rollercoaster propper.

Wind down into the valley again and zizag along very narrow country roads with the stunning country scenery flashing past you. A ridiculous 180 degrees hairpin marks the end of the valley and then the road back. Past the little cottages and hard on the peddles as two snapping mutts of indiscriminate parentage come out to encourage you along. The road continues to climb easily up the valley side again before one final test of your legs and a long steep ascent to make sure you remember this ride.

Then it's a quick glide down to the main road before a very rapid descent back down to your starting point. If you're early enough you get to see the pain in the faces of the Saturday morning groups as they grunt up the hill you're flying down with a demonic grin.

Distance wise hardly 20km but a road you'll want to visit agin before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

City centre, Cruagh Road, Glenculle, Enniskerry and then the hilly way to Kilmacanouge. Took the N11 to Delgany and the R761 to Bray. From there went to Shankill, Killiney Hill, Dalkey and then straight through Dun Laoighre and home.

71.7km
    Distance

3:33:21
    Moving Time

1,013m
    Elevation

20.2 Kph
    Average speed

https://www.strava.com/activities/690870918

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I passed a Boardsie on the way out of laragh heading to the sally gap. He was wearing a green logo shirt, has a beard...I envy anyone able to cycle up that ;)
    It was a glorious afternoon with the windows open going over the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If you've never done a lap of Glenasmole valley in Dublin, then you're missing a gem.

A steep and unrelenting climb past the church, allotments and NS before you can finally turn off that hellish road and start the rollercoaster propper.

Wind down into the valley again and zizag along very narrow country roads with the stunning country scenery flashing past you. A ridiculous 180 degrees hairpin marks the end of the valley and then the road back. Past the little cottages and hard on the peddles as two snapping mutts of indiscriminate parentage come out to encourage you along. The road continues to climb easily up the valley side again before one final test of your legs and a long steep ascent to make sure you remember this ride.

Then it's a quick glide down to the main road before a very rapid descent back down to your starting point. If you're early enough you get to see the pain in the faces of the Saturday morning groups as they grunt up the hill you're flying down with a demonic grin.

You went to Glenasmole and didn't do the climb that most people go to do -Cunard/Glassamucky?

Beautiful part of Dublin all the same. It's like going back to the 1970's with the smell of turf fires, open front doors and people inside having their tae.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

You went to Glenasmole and didn't do the climb that most people go to do -Cunard/Glassamucky?

That's a bit like the "try right at the church in Howth" posts ;) I'm sure Tabnabs will discover those delightful roads before too long. Booked for The Reservoir Dog earlier so I'll be seeing Cunard again soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Tabnabs wrote: »

Is that my Tallaght reservoirs spin in reverse? I don't recognize the names you have used? You went up Bohernabreena past the graveyard etc (What's "NS"?), after a couple of KMs, took the right at the split in the road and went down to a bridge and took a sharp right? Then back up some hills to a Footie/Golf course which took you out at Ballinascorney hill, and you went down that back to the start toward Firhouse/The old mill pub?

If it is then in either direction it is a lovely spin, provided you respect those roads around the reservoirs. Descend like a loony toon into a blind corner and meet a car/tractor/Jeep... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Max Rockatansky

Enniscorthy, Tullow, Baltinglass, Hackettstown, Tinahely, Aughrim, Arklow, Gorey and Enniscorthy in beautiful cycling weather with great company. 158km at 29.1km/h.

... (What's "NS"?)...
    National School I presume (as there is one on that route).

And that hairpin bend at the bottom of Glenasmole, at the south (Castlekelly) end - that's where Oisín fell off his horse when his girth broke as he lifted a stone for a bunch of puny men making a road. The very stone is still there (through the gate), and used to have a marble plaque on it. And if you go through that gate and up the path, you can go to Djouce.

And that hairpin bend at the bottom of Glenasmole, at the south (Castlekelly) end - that's where Oisín fell off his horse when his girth broke as he lifted a stone for a bunch of puny men making a road. The very stone is still there (through the gate), and used to have a marble plaque on it. And if you go through that gate and up the path, you can go to Djouce.
    Is that at Glenasmole Lodge?

Is that at Glenasmole Lodge?

Big house with a wide gateway with boulders around it? Yup. The gate to Oisín's stone is to the right of that gateway as you face it.

By the way, the church and graveyard, called St Anne's, are really Sentan's; the name was misheard at some stage.

There's also a really beautiful cycle or walk around the waterworks in the belly of the valley; if you're really dedicated you can cycle both lakes of the reservoir. The surface is hoggin, so don't plough it up.

Big house with a wide gateway with boulders around it? Yup. The gate to Oisín's stone is to the right of that gateway as you face it..
    Yes, that's it. Can't be seen with the foilage around it.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=SC&regno=11228001

It sold a few years ago during the Tiger. A friend up at Allagour was jokingly trying to persuade me to buy it. I told him if he'd give me the mill to buy it with, I was on!
    Glenasmole was the last Irish-speaking glen in Dublin, by the way.

Cheers WA & Chuchote! Good info, I'll be looking out for that stone.

While I'm here!

Work and life has been getting the better of me these days, versus cycling. I used to want to see the world burn in and around 2/3pm. but these days it hits at about 11am.

Still... I get out when I can but my "summer" cycling hasn't been great.

This week I decided come hell or high water that I'd get out every morning at dawn before work, and I did. I even did the whole climb up to the Featherbeds via the hellfire club. I hadn't done it it quite a long time and forgot the whole climb, so I was apprehensive about the suffering :/

It never came.

The climb was grand! Tough, but fine! I paced myself within my abilities and it was just, dare I say it... lovely.

So I gave it a lash again this morning and it was lovely. the weather was great and if I didn't have to take some folks to the airport (Do you remember me now Peterx? I was picking up Pamela in your estate :D) at 12pm , I'd have gladly have stayed out all day.

I had a lovely cycle in fairness. When I got to the top of the Featherbeds I spent some time sitting on the rock on the path up to the Captain Noel Lemass memorial. While I was there I would guesstimate that about 50-60 cyclists passed me during a 20 minute period. There were loads out!

After that I went down to the Tallaght reservoirs, sort of, but came out at the part were the reservoirs meet Bohernabreena, and did that climb back up to the Featherbeds. Piperstown Climb?

Tough climb tbh. I was like a fat Quintana at times dancing on the pedals. Still, I got there in the end. Then I went back to my rock seat, but noted that I had passed a foreign couple taking photos at a viewing point, and was kicking myself for not offering to take their photo.

After a couple of minutes I saw their car coming towards me so I waved them down and offered to take their photos!

They were delighted! Hassiem(sp?) even insisted that there was a photo of himself and myself.

After that with the clock ticking, I had to descend back down to the gaff via Stocking and Hellfire etc.

Being a coward who likes his skin attached to his face, regardless of its attractiveness (I descend like a granny most times), but today there were a sh1t load of cyclists coming up the climb as I descended.

So I just HAD to descend like I was some pro on holiday taking a break from the Giro or something, while praying that the tyres didn't come off my wheels while cornering.

It was savage :) and i didn't die, as an added bonus.

Even managed a few PBs.

Hopefully tomorrow I can muster the same enthusiasm for cycling and manage to take the very good bike out of the attic.

I'm quite lazy and currently just use the handiest bike at hand. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Not sure if you read the Irish Times but today's featured walk is up by Finn McCool's Stone, as they call it, and on to Kippure. Djouce would be quite a hike from there and on the other side of the Military Road. A lot of that land was recently bought by the State when Nama were selling it off.
    After that I went down to the Tallaght reservoirs, sort of, but came out at the part were the reservoirs meet Bohernabreena, and did that climb back up to the Featherbeds. Piperstown Climb?

Probably Piperstown Road. Cunard is even tougher and is further over to the right as you look up to the Featherbeds. It comes out onto the Military Road a bit nearer to Glencree.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Reading posts here makes we wanna do a trip around Dublin/Wicklow area sometime, seems to be alot of good climbing there.

dahat wrote: »
    Reading posts here makes we wanna do a trip around Dublin/Wicklow area sometime, seems to be alot of good climbing there.

Loads of climbing.

You need an ear worm though :)

Mine...

IT'S A LONG WAY TO THE TOP... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Loads of climbing.

Mine...

IT'S A LONG WAY TO THE TOP... :D

How have i never heard that song..... Tune like that hardly makes a trip shorter though!!

I might try convince the Mrs to do a weekender somewhere near a few decent routes next Spring, am spin, pm shopping might swing it for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the people of kerry won't be happy with their legend being stolen.
    that event supposedly happened on the ballaghisheen (i.e. bealach oisin) pass in kerry. which is a spectacular road, albeit one i've driven but not cycled.

http://www.activeme.ie/guides/driving/bealach-oisin-ballaghisheen-scenic-drive-kerry/

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Doc07

Cruagh-Sallygap-Laragh-Shay from both sides-Roundwood-Old long hill- Enniskerry
    Out with a small group from the club and more intense climbing than usual so I was wrecked on way home.
    Stopped for an indulgent pint in pub 300m from my house. Lovely day today.

Loads of climbing.

Mine...

IT'S A LONG WAY TO THE TOP... :D..
    I still think of Brian Johnson as their 'new' lead singer even though he is in place 6 times longer than Bon Scott was!

dahat wrote: »
    ...I might try convince the Mrs to do a weekender somewhere near a few decent routes next Spring, am spin, pm shopping might swing it for me.
    You'll have to sell Dundrum Town Centre to her. Biggest shopping centre in the country as far as I know and Dundrum is a good place to access the Wicklow mountains from the Dublin side.

PS - AM/PM shopping for her - AM/PM cycling for you! :cool:

Not sure if you read the Irish Times but today's featured walk is up by Finn McCool's Stone, as they call it, and on to Kippure. Djouce would be quite a hike from there and on the other side of the Military Road. A lot of that land was recently bought by the State when Nama were selling it off.

That's the one.

I used to know someone who cut turf up there and went up with him a few times, and he showed me the way across… though looking at the map, it looks as if it was Kippure, not Djouce. Unlike him to make a mistake; he knew ever mountain and glen around there by heart from a lifetime spent working and living around those hills.
    the people of kerry won't be happy with their legend being stolen.
    that event supposedly happened on the ballaghisheen (i.e. bealach oisin) pass in kerry. which is a spectacular road, albeit one i've driven but not cycled.

http://www.activeme.ie/guides/driving/bealach-oisin-ballaghisheen-scenic-drive-kerry/

Kerry. Pfft. Healy-Rae stories. Look at the convos between Oisín and Patrick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭secman

Up to Ballygarrett, killenagh, courtown, Ballymoney, Castletown, Inch, back to gorey, courtown, ballygarret, killenagh, home. 65 km 25.5 kph

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement