Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Celtic Tiger is beginning to roar.....says David McWilliams?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Jobsbridge etc. cost money, they don't generate 1 billion in unexpected tax revenue.

Don't be sensible - it's not a tradeable currency in these quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

But if they don't buy now prices will escalate and they will never come down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

seamus wrote: »
    You're wrong I'm afraid. Many living expenses are at their lowest level in 3 years.
    http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/cpi/consumerpriceindexjuly2014/#.VAbWbvldVss

Clothing and footwear in particular is nearly half the price it was in 2006. Energy & fuel costs are cheaper than they were in 2011.

In many ways the big essentials are easier to afford now - if you don't smoke, don't drink a lot, and don't take 3 hotel breaks a year, you're probably more comfortable now than you were this time last year.

Moved away 2.5 years ago. Walked around some of the grocery stores this evening. It seemed like everything I would buy in a weekly shop has gone up. Also stopped into a Supermacs on the way back to Galway from Mayo today. A Snackbox is now 7.50? It was around 5 euro when I left. And every small village around Mayo now seems to have pay and display parking all over the place.

Haven't looked at clothes other than in some of the Traditional Irish places in Westport, they were very expensive but I'd imagine that consumer price Index covers across the board. Dunnes and Pennys keep things pretty cheap, in fairness to them. Unfortunately after a few spins in the wash, they are worn out to ****e

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Jobsbridge etc. cost money, they don't generate 1 billion in unexpected tax revenue.

No..but taking into account revenue from drugs and prostitution does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Moved away 2.5 years ago. Walked around some of the grocery stores this evening. It seemed like everything I would buy in a weekly shop has gone up. Also stopped into a Supermacs on the way back to Galway from Mayo today. A Snackbox is now 7.50? It was around 5 euro when I left. And every small village around Mayo now seems to have pay and display parking all over the place.

Haven't looked at clothes other than in some of the Traditional Irish places in Westport, they were very expensive but I'd imagine that consumer price Index covers across the board. Dunnes and Pennys keep things pretty cheap, in fairness to them. Unfortunately after a few spins in the wash, they are worn out to ****e

What I find interesting is when these price/cost index come out is that anyone who has to very, very carefully watch their budget knows they are complete bunk.
    I know for a fact, because its MY money that things have NOT decreased in price.
    Everything has increased in cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Packrat

krudler wrote: »
    "Dublin airport is jammed again" yeah with young people leaving the country.

Utter bullsh1t.

Go stand in the arrivals hall and watch how many Irish are returning every morning or afternoon.

We had net emigration of about 30k last year. That is not enormous given the vicious recession this country has been through. We have growth rates which are the envy of Europe.

If some of ttyhe poor dears currently emigrating had studied something relevant to ANY economy, not just ours, they wouldn't be working in bars in Sydney with their fcuking degree in some bullsh1t like sociology or womens studies that we all paid for them to do rolled up under the couch at home.

Christ, - its as bad as the "but there are 27 people for every job" lies and bullcrap which was spouted here all last year.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

It's kind of sad to read the state of the country in these threads. Gombeenism on a national scale almost seems to be an entitlement by now, with talk of tax cuts and public sector votes in the run up to the next election. Everyone is looking to make easy money. No one cares that a Tiger economy is unstable. I used to blame Fianna Fail for these things, but between Labour bending over backwards in government and Sinn Fein hopping on the bandwagon, I think it's more a societal problem. Whatever happened to integrity? Does no one care about the health of the country, as long as they make their money and have fun while the good times last?

A new housing bubble is not what we need. Houses need to be affordable, inflation needs to be checked and the deficit needs to be reduced, if not eliminated altogether. I'm not advocating more austerity, but the recovery must be stable and based on real economics, not some half-nostalgic dream of a second tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

........................................................................................................................................... Unfortunately after a few spins in the wash, they are worn out to ****e

Afraid you're wrong there. Every man worth his salt knows that it's the dryer that does the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

diomed wrote: »
    But if they don't buy now prices will escalate and they will never come down.

Ah that familiar old scaremongering shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Queues for houses this morning. Is the madness starting?

(flees country before it falls on it's face again)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

So after the last boom we were told a mortgage should be 3.5 times your salary and 1/4 o 1/3 of your partners. So by that if you are buying a 400k house you need to be on a 85k salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Walked around some of the grocery stores this evening....

I wanna party with you, big guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosy_retrospection
    Supermacs prices appear to have gone up, therefore everything has? That's not how statistics work.
    Likewise, the introduction of pay & display parking does not mean prices have gone up. The cost of free parking is still free.

In 2004 it used to cost me €50 to fill the fridge, for myself, for a week. Now it costs €140 for myself, my wife and my daughter.

That's pretty damn good value given ten years of inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Last time I went to Dublin, last month, many hotels were fully booked out that weekend.

I ended up staying in sandyford bewleys, out of town a bit, and the place was so packed it was almost like a zoo.

That's my empirical evidence of Dublin hotels doing ok, though I wouldn't want to draw any deeper conclusions on it.

It was a weekend in August too, I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Queues for houses this morning. Is the madness starting?

(flees country before it falls on it's face again)
    In Swords of all places!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Potatoeman wrote: »
    So after the last boom we were told a mortgage should be 3.5 times your salary and 1/4 o 1/3 of your partners. So by that if you are buying a 400k house you need to be on a 85k salary?

Assuming a 20-30% deposit?

A half assed websearch says:

Individuals can usually borrow up to three times their gross annual salary. Couples can borrow either three times the higher salary plus one time the lower or two and a half times the total of their joint gross annual income. ... These are very rough figures as loans of up to 3.5 times income for individuals may be available depending on prevailing market conditions.

So a single person queing for a 2 bed in Swords for 240K might be putting up a 60K deposit and borrowing 180K, so should be on 60K a year, or maybe 51K at the 3.5 level.

A couple queing for a 400K detached 4 bed would be putting up 100k deposit, and borrowing 300K, so should be on a combined income of 120K, so 2x60K, or if one salary is a lot bigger than the other, they might be on 90/30K.

But some of these folks might be bringing even bigger deposits. Until the latest figures, most purchases were cash, not mortgage at all.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Potatoeman wrote: »

These ratios are the most important tool in controlling another boom.
    Buyers must understand that they are better off not being granted 8 times their salary.
    Sadly though the banks will come up with some incomprehensible disposable income matrix which will surprisingly get you that €400k loan for the 3 bed where coincidentally they have loaned the developer €12 million 2 years earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Jesus. Will we never learn.....

6 people queuing for 60 houses, I think we're OK for the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Yup,it's creeping back,just saw an ad for a nightclub in Dublin - €25 a head for New Years Eve. Back to the days of paying €25 to be crammed into a place and fleeced at the bar.

Advertisement