Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Celtic Tiger is beginning to roar.....says David McWilliams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Celtic Tiger II: Decking Harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Load of bollix's! People like gigs, take in the fact that they have to give up going
    Out to save up to pay for that day out. So, that money is not been spent in the way it would normally have been, so thier is. In fact Less money to go around, Wages are way down for most people.

And this is from the man that
    Told to government to back the banks? Yea I believe him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I hope the celtic tiger number 2 does roar. I've just been thinking tonight that I wish I had a few grand to feck off abroad for a few weeks for a concert I would like to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I was called a cub. begorrah ta feck was i a cub. scarred for life i am. no tiger for me. i still plan to ditch this place as soon as the sign im waiting for shows up. i could be waiting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Is this the same David McWilliams that advocated putting €3bn of taxpayers money into AIB in 2008?

I'm just curious. I seek merely information.

• Advertisement

porsche959 wrote: »
    Is this the same David McWilliams that advocated putting €3bn of taxpayers money into AIB in 2008?

Yep, the this is the same person!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"Dublin airport is jammed again" yeah with young people leaving the country.

deco nate wrote: »
    Load of bollix's! People like gigs, take in the fact that they have to give up going
    Out to save up to pay for that day out. So, that money is not been spent in the way it would normally have been, so thier is. In fact Less money to go around, Wages are way down for most people.

And this is from the man that
    Told to government to back the banks? Yea I believe him!

That's it. Music feeds the soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Yep, the this is the same person!

I did suspect that it was.

Now I wonder, why would anyone take him seriously again on any economic/banking/financial issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Masters of the bleedin obvious the lot of them.
    If he'd said this two years ago I'd be impressed.Must have a stockpile of catchphrases built up and ready to go.

• Advertisement

I did suspect that it was.

Now I wonder, why would anyone take him seriously again on any economic/banking/financial issues?
    Does anyone take him seriously after all his bs?
    I don't think so at this stage.
    Every time I see him in the papers /News I brush over it.
    He is a joke at this stage.
    Answer... No!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In fairness it's hard not to argue that all the economic indicators seem to point to a robust recovery.

Also the same guy that predicted the end of the Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's a good article. Doesn't use his usual over wrought similes.

For who? Wages have taken a major dump, prices rising for all living expenses.
    How Does this improve
    People's life's?
    Wear maybe the job front is improving. However if people have to pay the the nose for these "improvements'in our lives. I'm like many I'm sure cannot 'enjoy life' and before anyone asks no I don't have sky, yes I do have bb.
    And I wish I could afford to go to a gig/have a night out.
    And tbh, I'm just one of very many that can't. And it will only get worse when water charges come in. :(

For who? Wages have taken a major dump, prices rising for all living expenses.
    How Does this improve
    People's life's?
    Wear maybe the job front is improving. However if people have to pay the the nose for these "improvements'in our lives. I'm like many I'm sure cannot 'enjoy life' and before anyone asks no I don't have sky, yes I do have bb.
    And I wish I could afford to go to a gig/have a night out.
    And tbh, I'm just one of very many that can't. And it will only get worse when water charges come in. :(

You do understand the concept that there is a lag between actual recovery and people seeing it in their pockets. As the article points out you won't see it yet.

I'd bet on a neutral budget next month. The country's finances are well ahead of schedule.

You do understand the concept that there is a lag between actual recovery and people seeing it in their pockets. As the article points out you won't see it yet.
    But
    I'd bet on a neutral budget next month. The country's finances are well ahead of schedule.
    And people that are already under pressure, more even going into debt this is a good thing?
    Already in debt,? Yet to add water charges. But hey next budget MAY be better, how do you think it will help those that are already in dire need of help? You know, those that are working but lowest pay packet. Yet still have to pay all these bills? I love to know.

We have made huge progress. I remember when Ollie Rehn arrived in Dublin with the IMF to deal with our incompetents. A dark day.

We're borrowing 800 million a month and have massive debt interest payments,the Government won't have anything to put in our pockets for the foreseeable future whatever the recovery.

kneemos wrote: »
    We're borrowing 800 million a month and have massive debt interest payments,the Government won't have anything to put in our pockets for the foreseeable future whatever the recovery.

Not true - in this budget they do have scope for targeted relief for low earners. Not much of course but if it is a neutral budget than that gives confidence and that is what needs to grow so that people will spend more. Solid growth could bring real tax relief next year.

I hope this budget marks the end of austerity. It may well do. The economy is recovering strongly compared to the eurozone even though people do not see it yet. It's a lag and effect.

• Advertisement

So you are saying we are not borrowing 800 million per month, yet even if we are we can afford to...?!
    Also a neutral budget will not help anyone. Cos it is neutral.
    How can that help anyone that is on the lowest wage? And yet sill to pay all bills?!
    Plus food.

The finance minster of France came out a few weeks ago being very criticial of the eurozone saying that if we continue down the path of austerity we'll find ourselves in a depression. I would agree with him. Many countries have similiar problems to us such as banking problems, deficit, unemployment. So the problem goes very deep but the only solution to date has been to hit us left, right and centre with cuts and tax hikes which will lead us all around in circles.

So you are saying we are not borrowing 800 million per month, yet even if we are we can afford to...?!

Growth is the key here. The economy is growing so that leaves scope for targeted relief.

The deficit this year looks like it will be 3.6% - way below expectations. To put in context the UK's deficit is 7.8%. So we have less to do to meet the EU targets for every member state. The more the economy grows the less that target becomes.

We were proportionally paying far more in interest in 1989 incidentally compared to now. And the NTMA can and is refinancing debt at record low interest rates.

It's not as simple as you make it seem.

Growth is the key here. The economy is growing so that leaves scope for targeted relief.

The deficit this year looks like it will be 3.6% - way below expectations. To put in context the UK's deficit is 7.8%. So we have less to do to meet the EU targets for every member state. The more the economy grows the less that target becomes.

We were proportionally paying far more in interest in 1989 incidentally compared to now. And the NTMA can and is refinancing debt at record low interest rates.

It's not as simple as you make it seem.

It is when you have less money, yet more bills than ever before, that is my point.
    How much do the powers that be can think people can hang on? You can talk fractions all you like.
    I'm talking about people's life's.

Not true - in this budget they do have scope for targeted relief for low earners. Not much of course but if it is a neutral budget than that gives confidence and that is what needs to grow so that people will spend more. Solid growth could bring real tax relief next year.

I hope this budget marks the end of austerity. It may well do. The economy is recovering strongly compared to the eurozone even though people do not see it yet. It's a lag and effect.

Pretty much guaranteed to be tax relief next year with an election due in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

The finance minster of France came out a few weeks ago being very criticial of the eurozone saying that if we continue down the path of austerity we'll find ourselves in a depression. I would agree with him. Many countries have similiar problems to us such as banking problems, deficit, unemployment. So the problem goes very deep but the only solution to date has been to hit us left, right and centre with cuts and tax hikes which will lead us all around in circles.

The budget deficit has reduced by around €10billion per year since the introduction of austerity measures.

Despite all the whinging from the usual suspects on the loony-left, it would seem that austerity is working.

Now we're seeing increased employment levels and growth in tax returns.
    Are we out of the woods - no. We're very exposed to a worldwide downturn.

Are we moving in the right direction - yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Crunkussion

Celtic Tiger II: We Scotland Now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

It's a good article. Doesn't use his usual over wrought similes.

He seems to have got over that alright. Thank fúck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

The budget deficit has reduced by around €10billion per year since the introduction of austerity measures.

Despite all the whinging from the usual suspects on the loony-left, it would seem that austerity is working.

Now we're seeing increased employment levels and growth in tax returns.
    Are we out of the woods - no. We're very exposed to a worldwide downturn.

Are we moving in the right direction - yes.

I stop reading after 'loony left'.
    Lazy cliche ruins point you were making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

kneemos wrote: »
    Pretty much guaranteed to be tax relief next year with an election due in 2016.

I'm quite excited. In fact it's nearly enough to make you vote Labour! Let the great public sector votes buying begin...

Advertisement