Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Celtic Tiger is beginning to roar.....says David McWilliams?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Valetta wrote: »
    A well reasoned argument there Nic.

Backed up with evidence based links to counter the article. :rolleyes:

It's the economy. Not a game of monopoly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

"Consumer credit will become more available". Well thats just super Davey, sure didn't it do us no harm at all the last time? I really hope the Germans read some of this tripe and stick a jackboot in the door just in time, cos frankly we arent fit to be let out on our own. As Frankfurter Allgemeine said recently in a column, and something that should be stuck up on a static screen every evening while the Angelus is playing "IRELAND'S DEBT HAS NOT GONE AWAY YOU KNOW"

Go away McWilliams, you and your ilk have no credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

It's the economy. Not a game of monopoly.

It's an article specifically about our hotel industry.

Do you have any reason to believe we won't need up to 5,000 more rooms by 2020?

If so, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Otherwise you're just taking the populist line of "everything bad, bul****, blah blah"

Larbre34 wrote: »
    "Consumer credit will become more available". Well thats just super Davey, sure didn't it do us no harm at all the last time? I really hope the Germans read some of this tripe and stick a jackboot in the door just in time, cos frankly we arent fit to be let out on our own. As Frankfurter Allgemeine said recently in a column, and something that should be stuck up on a static screen every evening while the Angelus is playing "IRELAND'S DEBT HAS NOT GONE AWAY YOU KNOW"

Go away McWilliams, you and your ilk have no credibility.

A healthy economy needs consumer credit to thrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I really hope the Germans read some of this tripe and stick a jackboot in the door just in time, cos frankly we arent fit to be let out on our own.

Would you ever feck off, the Germans are a race of obnoxious self righteous gits. I want nothing to do with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

smash wrote: »
    Would you ever feck off, the Germans are a race of obnoxious self righteous gits. I want nothing to do with them!

I'd miss their Weissbiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Its like these fools measure a recovery solely based on house prices and rent. "House prices are up!! Were saved!!", yeah, yet the average joe still has less money in his pocket thanks to USC charges, property tax, water tax, you know, all those fun things the government brought in to try and make a few extra quid to un-**** what the banks did to us. Get rid of USC, property taxes and all that ****, so that I can actually see a few extra quid in my bank account at the end of the month, and maybe then, ill be okay with this 'Recovery'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Policy in Ireland has undoubtedly prolonged the slump. If you examine how quickly the UK, with its own exchange rate, or the US, with a massive fiscal expansion, came out of recession, there's little argument on this point.

The UK and the US have their own currencies, therefore had a lot more manoeuvrability to get out quicker.

Things are picking up, I have no doubt about that but I won't get my passport and festival wellies out yet. I just hope that this time around we learn from our lesson although that is not looking likely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Golovkin p4p best

Its like these fools measure a recovery solely based on house prices and rent. "House prices are up!! Were saved!!", yeah, yet the average joe still has less money in his pocket thanks to USC charges, property tax, water tax, you know, all those fun things the government brought in to try and make a few extra quid to un-**** what the banks did to us. Get rid of USC, property taxes and all that ****, so that I can actually see a few extra quid in my bank account at the end of the month, and maybe then, ill be okay with this 'Recovery'.

The state of the economy isn't measured by how much spare cash you have, it's measured by the quantity of products and services produced.

• Advertisement

I have to say, for all the cringeworthyness of 'the gathering' it appears to have been a bit of a masterstroke. Tourism has rocketed this year and if the tourists have a good time, it will continue to grow so I can see the reasoning for new hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Valetta wrote: »
    It's an article specifically about our hotel industry.

Do you have any reason to believe we won't need up to 5,000 more rooms by 2020?

If so, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Otherwise you're just taking the populist line of "everything bad, bul****, blah blah"

Not a populist line, just skeptical. I take reports like this with a heavy, heavy pinch of salt. I'm not doubting that some more hotels might be needed, but 30? That's a fcuking ridiculous overestimation and just begging for a larger grant for ITIC.

Same skepticism for when the dean of computer science of whatever university claiming the industry needs 5,000 new IT graduates, when there are already thousands of inexperienced graduates floating around.

For those who are saying they haven't got more money, I reckon the likes of the USC etc will be cut back and possibly phased out.

Also, a thriving economy makes more jobs... more jobs means more opportunities to move to higher paid jobs... this means that companies will have to increase wages to keep their top talent. During the recession there were fcuk all jobs so people had no leverage and companies also had no money (or feigned to have none) so many were not getting increases - many felt they couldn't ask for fear of upsetting the apple cart. This should filter through in 2015 if the economy keeps growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

You know when somebody hasn't a clue about economics or the state of the economy when they trot out the usual negative bull****.

There is always a roar before a death rattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Pulled pork gaps. Its a sign of a new boom. Sure KFC now have pulled chicken burgers on the menu. This one is going to be crazier than the last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I think you mean sexier, not crazier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

In fairness it's hard not to argue that all the economic indicators seem to point to a robust recovery.

Yes, and it's pretty feckin late for McWilliams to notice. From his article:

I have been in denial this year about what I was seeing around me, but now the time has come to say with a certain degree of confidence that the economy is likely to rebound much more strongly than most are expecting.

He is predicting what was announced yesterday! Waster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

We're a small open economy, so we'll do well if the big economies around us are doing well.
    If they get fooked again, we will too.

We / our polticians need to stop taking credit for something we've very little, if any, control on.

Yes, and it's pretty feckin late for McWilliams to notice. From his article:

I have been in denial this year about what I was seeing around me, but now the time has come to say with a certain degree of confidence that the economy is likely to rebound much more strongly than most are expecting.

He is predicting what was announced yesterday! Waster.

Yes, but if you predict events after they've already happened, you have a significantly better chance of being right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Will they be giving out free money again? Can't wait to buy a couple of Bulgarian apartments on my credit card, rip out the 12 month old bathroom suite and stick another conservatory onto the last spare side of our house. Better buy another house quick - they wont be at these prices for long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Will they be giving out free money again? Can't wait to buy a couple of Bulgarian apartments on my credit card, rip out the 12 month old bathroom suite and stick another conservatory onto the last spare side of our house. Better buy another house quick - they wont be at these prices for long!

Just in time to pop over to New York for Christmas shopping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

Just in time to pop over to New York for Christmas shopping!

Just in time for the labour to give me a bonus for crimbo

dutch gold on the house! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

http://www.dailyedge.ie/13-things-from-the-celtic-tiger-you-dont-see-anymore-911935-May2013/

Hmmmm apparently the website is called "itsyourmoney.ie" - really? Stop fuucking taking it then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Champagne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Damn I was enjoying this recession. There's nothing worse than knackers on planes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I've known the recession was over ever since I heard people talking about building new housing estates in Longford and Edgeworthstown.
    I've known there'll be another one within a few years ever since I heard people talking about building new housing estates in Longford and Edgeworthstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

David McWilliams is an economist and in fairness most of the economic indicators are looking up. He points out that it will be a while for unemployment to improve or people to see more cash in their pockets.

As previously stated, we are very heavily linked with the rest of the globalised world and global markets so if one of our big partners has a hiccup, we'll feel it.

With that being said, corruption is still endemic in the country. In my opinion we haven't sorted out the 'cronyism' that occurs so very often in this country. I would hope that the banks are more tightly regulated but we need to get the people in power to be more in it for the social and communal good rather than lining their own pockets with fat pensions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kneemos View Post
    Pretty much guaranteed to be tax relief next year with an election due in 2016.
    I'm quite excited. In fact it's nearly enough to make you vote Labour! Let the great public sector votes buying begin...

not sure if this is sarcasm or not. Labour have increased the time it has taken to get out of recession and they FF like will be the first to want to start throwing the cash out like confetti again! They are a major bloody threat to our future IMO, yeah things will be on the up here now, its the lack of prudence now though that may well be our undoing again in 5-10 years...

The lack of confidence is what resulted in people hoarding money or putting off buying, yes a large amount of people dont have any money left at the end of the week or month, lots do though and / or had large amounts saved but simply had it lying in the bank mainly earning interest below the level of inflation. There are tens of billions if not more on deposit here, I will try and find the exact figure...

I'm going to fire up the jet ski tonight and ride it round my hot tub like it's 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Where are all the people who said austerity doesn't work?

They had to go to Canada, America and Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I used to drive tower cranes on sites and got out just before it all went tits up. I worked for a lot of agencies back then and must be still on their books. Every now and then i would get a call or a text saying a crane driver or banksman needed for short term contracts, Last month i got 4 texts and 6 calls from agencies looking for crane drivers and this and i have had 4 calls since Monday looking for crane drivers. When the cranes start dotting the skyline you know the money is starting to get spent again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

whiskeyman wrote: »
    We're a small open economy, so we'll do well if the big economies around us are doing well.
    If they get fooked again, we will too.

We / our polticians need to stop taking credit for something we've very little, if any, control on.

To be fair, we're doing much better than a lot of the large economies that we're surrounded by.

Believe it or not this will benefit everyone including the doubting thomases! What a bloody surprise that in the end the sky didnt fall in... you dont have to get caught up in crazy borrowing or keeping up with the Jones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I used to drive tower cranes on sites and got out just before it all went tits up. I worked for a lot of agencies back then and must be still on their books. Every now and then i would get a call or a text saying a crane driver or banksman needed for short term contracts, Last month i got 4 texts and 6 calls from agencies looking for crane drivers and this and i have had 4 calls since Monday looking for crane drivers. When the cranes start dotting the skyline you know the money is starting to get spent again.

Shortage of tradesmen in the Dublin area according to last night's news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

So if someone states something once, they may never again say anything that contradicts that position, even if referring to a situation occurring 8 to 10 years later, is that what we're getting out of this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Wonder when the 1st thread will be posted about De bleedin Foredners takin all de jobs

Wonder when the 1st thread will be posted about De bleedin Foredners takin all de jobs

We need the foreigners to rent the houses they're going to build to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

An extremely punitive rate of tax on repeating tired clichés about the last boom might help to curb excess spending. Talking 95-99% rate of tax on gross income if heard mentioning: apartments in Bulgaria, shopping trips to New York, hot tubs in the back garden, decking; helicopters at the Galway Races, jumbo breakfast rolls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Get rid of USC, property taxes and all that ****, so that I can actually see a few extra quid in my bank account at the end of the month, and maybe then, ill be okay with this 'Recovery'.

Any proposals on how to plug the massive hole in the public finances this will create??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Any proposals on how to plug the massive hole in the public finances this will create??

Outsource the entire public service to Bangladesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I think this article is about Dublin...what about the rest of the country

Specialun wrote: »

Eat potaetoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Fuck 'em.

* pays 6 quid for a pint *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Probably the parts of Dublin pricks like McWilliams,his mates and Indo buying tossers frequent.

Not much sign of an upturn in the economy around Clondalkin or Ballyfermot.Still massive queues outside the SW and post office's when I pass them on the bus every morning.Local shop a friend works for got over 400 hundred CV's for two jobs they advertised recently too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not much sign of an upturn in the economy around Clondalkin or Ballyfermot.Still massive queues outside the SW and post office's

Erm, massive queues for social welfare in Clondalkin and Ballyfermot were not unusual during the boom so they are hardly unusual now.

If you said there is massive queues outside the SW in Blackrock or Foxrock it might mean more tbh.

Probably the parts of Dublin pricks like McWilliams,his mates and Indo buying tossers frequent.

Not much sign of an upturn in the economy around Clondalkin or Ballyfermot.Still massive queues outside the SW and post office's when I pass them on the bus every morning.Local shop a friend works for got over 400 hundred CV's for two jobs they advertised recently too.
    what do you expect, for it to touch each part exactly the same way and exactly the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ah, we're back I see. Good, good. Everyone under 28 is gone, apartments in the middle of Dublin are costing a million-euro-a-metre on account of a few hundred people working for Google, there's still no en massé blue-collar employment and a Master's degree will just about get you a job at a local Spar. But we are about to start roaring and rollercoasting and all the usual happy horsepuckey. Yays!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

As a nurse/primary school teacher/garda I think it is DEFINITELY time to buy 3 off-plan apartments in outer Dublin (Meath/Louth/Longford) with 30 year mortgages and lied about earnings with the intention to flip them in 5 years and retire early.

Definitely

enda1 wrote: »
    As a nurse/primary school teacher/garda I think it is DEFINITELY time to buy 3 off-plan apartments in outer Dublin (Meath/Louth/Longford) with 30 year mortgages and lied about earnings with the intention to flip them in 5 years and retire early.

Definitely

With all those jobs you could afford 5 of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement