Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why won't it snow again like it did in 2010 and 2011?

Options
  • 26-12-2013 8:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

I've been waiting for such weather since last year but it doesn't seem to happen ever again. I just wish it did.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I share your pain:(

hopefully this storm will blow Ireland up towards Norway, then we might get your wish of seeing winter months like December 2010 more often. Otherwise we'll just have to be content with wintry episodes like that once every 30 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't understand peoples fascination with snow. It looks lovely, but its a major pain in the arse if you have to do anything other than sit at home looking out at it drinking hot whiskies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't understand peoples fascination with snow.

Snow fall has fascinated many eminent scientists and philosophers such as René Descartes, Count vun Romerford, Johannes Kepler and Robert Hooke, but the man who literally devoted his entire life to showing us the diversity and beauty of snow is American Wilson A. Bentley.

If it's good enough for these esteemed men, then who am i to argue with them:D

"Wilson Bentley, the first man to capture snow crystals on film. Known as “The Snowflake Man” Bentley captured more than 5000 photographs of snowflakes. He received international acclaim in the 19th century for his pioneering work in the fields of photomicrography, because he perfected a process of photographing snowflakes before they either melted or sublimed.

Bentley’s legacy is an extraordinarily rich one: a vast library of detailed journals, books, published articles and over 5000 photographs of “tiny miracles of beauty”, as he often referred to snowflakes.

So, in conclusion, snow is awesome:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

fontdor wrote: »
    I've been waiting for such weather since last year but it doesn't seem to happen ever again. I just wish it did.

You ASS.

You have no idea of the hardships people faced that winter. I was out driving for work early morning and late at night that winter, in the worst conditions I ever faced. People were stuck out all night, left right and centre.

People DIED because of that harsh weather.

And you come on here like it was all some kind of big joke, why can't it all happen again?

Get a grip on reality. Ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I like snow too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

Me three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

paddyland wrote: »
    You ASS.

You have no idea of the hardships people faced that winter. I was out driving for work early morning and late at night that winter, in the worst conditions I ever faced. People were stuck out all night, left right and centre.

And you come on here like it was all some kind of big joke, why can't it all happen again?

Wont somebody think of the children

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

fontdor wrote: »

It hasn't happened for the last two winters so it will never happen again? Interesting logic

The snow and ice is an absolute nightmare for anyone who has to travel anywhere … why would you look forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

I lied. I don't like snow. I ****ing love it!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

You ASS.

Woo wo dude calm down I didn't mean it in a bad way. All I said was I like it when it snows and that I hope it does again. Plus usually when it snows a lot of places close down for safety so calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wish we could control the weather like in Star Trek; have it blanket the place for the weekend, and gone by Monday :P

Have hated the stuff since I started driving, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I share your pain:(

hopefully this storm will blow Ireland up towards Norway, then we might get your wish of seeing winter months like December 2010 more often. Otherwise we'll just have to be content with wintry episodes like that once every 30 years or so.

Blow it down towards the West coast of Portugal. Less rain, warmer Summers and warmer Winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They say theres no such thing as a stupid question. Apparently 'they' were wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I would love snow for 2-3 months of the year, yes it brings its problems but if you have pipes in your attic buy a frost watcher it is not the snows fault, it is the freezing conditions that freezes pipes, a quick shovel of paths when necessary and salting to keep access going, people love complaining of the ill of a snow fall but i say bring it on, lets the kids and parents build snow men, throw some snow balls, sleigh down hills, have some fun, and look how nice the whole countryside looks covered in a nice blanket of snow. Other countries get on with it and so should we, so come on snow 1 foot minimum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

People who are complaining about the snow need to get over it. It is rare we get any decent snow at all and a good 95% of the last decade is in the mild lovers favour so they have no right to complain for a day or two inconvenience. 2010 was a rare event that may never happen again at least you get experience in driving in those conditions which we rarely get. In the past 25 years of my life I have seen lying snow 3 or 4 times and I was sick 2 of those times. So 2010 and once in my childhood I experienced decent snow.

We like snow as it changes the way the landscape looks, you get to experience things you never usually see. It is a brief change to the normal humdrum life we live. Looking at the current weather there is no major cold in sight so it is another mild winter as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You ASS.

Not happy at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lucreto wrote: »
    We like snow as it changes the way the landscape looks, you get to experience things you never usually see. It is a brief change to the normal humdrum life we live. Looking at the current weather there is no major cold in sight so it is another mild winter as usual.
    I find this country tends to grind to a halt if it snows heavily for more than the weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I loved that time, I got to perfect my off road driving skills, bad weather driving skills helped many out of ditches and generally reveled in it.

I had been a member of two weather forums so I was quite well prepared, snow shovel, tow rope, spike grips, salt, heat sticks, blankets, heavy thermals and so on and so forth.

It was still quite a challenge and I was not alone in underestimating the power and difficulties as well as that awesome beauty.

Snow brings death, snow covers the country with a blanket that smothers germs and bacteria that overwinter bringing us, as a nation a much wealthier land to live on and grow crops in.

The snow alos brings death to people, some a tragic event as children die whilst playing in the stuff, some people fall and die either in hospital or where they fell on lonely hillside farms.

Snow can be beautiful but it shows up the weaknesses in us all more than any other event can as it can test the entire nation, whereas floods, lightning, high winds only seem to effect a few areas at a time.

Snow, the greatest, most humbling, arguably the most beautiful and represented in Scandinavian Mythology as Goddess Chione.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Pipes burst because of cold, not snow.

2010 was a month where Ireland got the kind of weather most countries at our latitude ( and many closer to the equator) get for 3-4 months every year. We better hope the Gulf Stream never weakens given the reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep, 2010 will live long in the memory

on xmas day we walked on our local lake instead of walking around it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

It can make farming very hard. Some people outwinter their animals and the snow can make it practically impossible to bring feed out. That's not even considering the animals that don't have have anyone looking after them like abandoned horses. It kills off a lot of wildlife too. So even though I like the look of it, I'd rather not have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't understand peoples fascination with snow. It looks lovely, but its a major pain in the arse if you have to do anything other than sit at home looking out at it drinking hot whiskies.

Exactly why i want some snow, Any oul excuse. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Personally I love snow. People who dont seem to be joyless sods in general

Personally I love snow. People who dont seem to be joyless sods in general

That's not fair. It's hard to love snow when you spend Christmas drawing buckets of water to animals who need it and get yourself frozen in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

It's funny how the complainers never castigate us when we are wishing for a rare heat wave.

Far more people are killed by heatstroke, swimming or on the roads driving to the beach during a heat wave than ever die as a result of snow in this country. The farmers see crops dying in their field due to drought etc

And why is that? Because they selfishly can only think about the tan they'll get or the after work sessions in the bear garden or the thoughts of exposed male/female flesh.

So spare me your indignations

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I love snow, love it even more now than I did when I was a child as real snow events just seem so much of a rarity these days. It changes the landscape, it's great for photography, its fun to walk in, I could watch those flakes fall from the sky all day and night without ever getting bored! it even changes the colour of the sky at night to a very satisfying orange glow on everything. As for another winter like 2009-2010 i think we could be waiting quiet a while to see another one and this winter is not really shaping up all that good for us now at the Atlantic is back at full force for the first time in nearly a year.

Calibos wrote: »
    It's funny how the complainers never castigate us when we are wishing for a rare heat wave.

Far more people are killed by heatstroke, swimming or on the roads driving to the beach during a heat wave than ever die as a result of snow in this country.

And why is that? Because they selfishly can only think about the tan they'll get or the after work sessions in the bear garden or the thoughts of exposed male/female flesh.

Who are you talking about? People on this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

We get plenty of snow in New Hampshire. Going back there Sunday. I'll put a few of ye in my suitcase if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I liked it a lot more when I was a kid and I didn't have to worry about driving anywhere or doing anything other than throwing snowballs at my sister.

If we lived in the USA or Canada or somewhere that actually has the infrastructure to deal with it then it would be grand. But in Ireland everything grinds to a halt if theres more than 2 inches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I loved that time, I got to perfect my off road driving skills, bad weather driving skills helped many out of ditches and generally reveled in it.

I had been a member of two weather forums so I was quite well prepared, snow shovel, tow rope, spike grips, salt, heat sticks, blankets, heavy thermals and so on and so forth.

It was still quite a challenge and I was not alone in underestimating the power and difficulties as well as that awesome beauty.

Snow brings death, snow covers the country with a blanket that smothers germs and bacteria that overwinter bringing us, as a nation a much wealthier land to live on and grow crops in.

The snow alos brings death to people, some a tragic event as children die whilst playing in the stuff, some people fall and die either in hospital or where they fell on lonely hillside farms.

Snow can be beautiful but it shows up the weaknesses in us all more than any other event can as it can test the entire nation, whereas floods, lightning, high winds only seem to effect a few areas at a time.

Snow, the greatest, most humbling, arguably the most beautiful and represented in Scandinavian Mythology as Goddess Chione.

Ah, you were going well there till you messed up the mythology! Chione, a nymph, daughter of Boreas, the god of the north wind. This error completely negated your otherwise flawless post.

Snow is pretty. It, unfortunately, is also pretty cr4p to live with.

I vote for humbug. Let those who love snow, fly to snow. Weather is decided by majority rules, right...?

Advertisement