Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why won't it snow again like it did in 2010 and 2011?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

[-0-] wrote: »
    We get plenty of snow in New Hampshire. Going back there Sunday. I'll put a few of ye in my suitcase if you like.

live free or get smuggled in illegally

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hate snow hope we don't get any snow or bad Icy conditions pain if you have to drive for a living or even walking around in it. So hope we get to spring without seeing any!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

the_syco wrote: »
    I find this country tends to grind to a halt if it snows heavily for more than the weekend :(

It shows how often we get snow that it causes problems. If it snowed more often we would be prepared for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Quiet mountain Road, traction control off, go!
    God I love snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

If a car breaks down or there is heavier than usual rain this country grinds to a halt.
    I recall that it was 3 winters in a row, winter 08/09 it snowed too? didn't it? I remember it being very cold as the heating broke down at home and there was snow.
    And 09/10 and then 10/11, I think the last one was the worst, the previous heavy snow was around 04-05

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Late 2009/early 2010 and then late 2010 - these were severe (for Ireland), don't think there had been any winter as severe here since 1981 into '82 (which I remember, even though I was only three, but it was that bad). There have been other snowfalls since, but they were only shortlived and not as heavy, and I personally don't have a problem with that; it's a novelty, looks amazing, and is fun.
    But there is some seriously disingenuous stuff on this thread with regards to heavy, long-lasting snow and the misery it can cause.
    WikiHow wrote: »
    people love complaining of the ill of a snow fall but i say bring it on, lets the kids and parents build snow men, throw some snow balls, sleigh down hills, have some fun, and look how nice the whole countryside looks covered in a nice blanket of snow. Other countries get on with it and so should we
    Other countries deal with it because they are used to it and are set up for it; it happens too rarely in this country, so people are bound to have difficulty adjusting to it. It's not a case of "loving" complaining. And people obviously do all the fun stuff you've mentioned - it doesn't change when things get problematic though. Impassable snowed-in roads, particularly the many rural narrow roads in this country; black ice making driving conditions absolutely treacherous; the problems brought about by the accompanying cold. This is not the same as three or four days of fun caused by a lighter covering of snow.
    Lucreto wrote: »
    People who are complaining about the snow need to get over it.
    No they don't "need to" at all. Extreme weather obsessed types who aren't affected by the difficulties snow causes "need to" stop being so selfish and disingenuous and consider not everyone has it as easy as they do. Yes we do have a right complain - and in 2009/10, it lasted a lot longer than "one or two days".
    Personally I love snow. People who dont seem to be joyless sods in general
    No they don't. You're just making that up. They have plenty of reasons to object to heavy snow apart from just not liking it.
    Calibos wrote: »
    It's funny how the complainers never castigate us when we are wishing for a rare heat wave.
    Don't they? Where's your proof of that? I'm not a fan of either extreme. It's "funny how" on Boards, people pretend others only want one extreme or the other, when most people like in-between conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I don't think alot of people know this but if you wish hard enough for the weather you want it will come true ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

paddyland wrote: »
    You ASS.

You have no idea of the hardships people faced that winter. I was out driving for work early morning and late at night that winter, in the worst conditions I ever faced. People were stuck out all night, left right and centre.

People DIED because of that harsh weather.

And you come on here like it was all some kind of big joke, why can't it all happen again?

Get a grip on reality. Ass.

You actually have anger issues. Loosen up and don't take posts on Boards so seriously. Also stop repeating that cheap word as an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Shpongler

I would prefer -16c calm and sunny with a little snow to that muck we have been having week after week..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

fontdor wrote: »
    I've been waiting for such weather since last year but it doesn't seem to happen ever again. I just wish it did.

It will happen again. Maybe this winter, or maybe in 10 years time. That is the nature of Irish weather unfortunately.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Maybe people think that liking snow will somehow bring more snow. Its the weather and it will come when it may.

If some people have a strange fascination with it then what harm is there in that. The loving of snow does not mean the loving of the bad side effects of it.

For me I am not a lover of snow. I live in the country and its hard to drive around, it costs more to heat the house and it slows things down.

We are not so prepared for it.

But moaning about it like moaning about the rain just wont change it, Get a good snow coat, go out for a walk and its crisp and very lovely, just a bit slipy so wear snow boots too!!

Advertisement