Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice on Halfords Carrera TDF

Options
  • 29-07-2013 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

Well to start off in the last year I have done a lot more cycling then I ever did before. I cycle to work as much as I can which is 9km each way. I use a trek 7.1fx its heavy "so am I at 95kg" but very strong which I like. After a while I started to like the cycle during the week and would take the bike out for spins at the weekend, which would be 24km would like to do longer distance.

Well here is the bike im thinking of getting.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_810707_langId_-1_categoryId_212536#tab2

Its cheap at the moment going at €312. I know this does not mean good. And the parts might not last long, which to be honest would not be a problem for me as I would upgrade the parts as they wear out. Why I like it is cause I don't have much funds money is very tight. Even using BTW I would still have to pay out allot more money on getting a better bike was looking at some bikes in the €1,000 "Low tax bracket".

I will still use the trek for work. And the TDF for weekends & when parts wear out just replace them. Like I said im 95kgs and 6foot 1 so was looking at the large 58cm bike.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

I had one for over a year and I can't fault it at all. Didn't have one problem with it. All gears worked perfectly from the start. Got a couple of punctures but I put gatorskin tyres on and that sorted the punctures. Great value at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

At that price it's a bargain. I had one, no problems. Id nearly buy another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

still have mine done mallin to mizen on it this year.Its a grand yoke for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

My dad does a similar commute and was up to a couple of weeks ago using a Giant CRS 3 hybrid. He picked up one of the Carrera TDFs on adverts after being passed out by one of his friends on a road bike (this is the logic of old men, he went faster than me, so I have to beat him next time!). He's loving it so far and has knocked off a lot of time on the commute and is going on longer spins and everything now.

I'm tempted to pick one up for myself as a cheap run around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I bought a 2nd hand TDF a while back and would have no problem recommending them. Its a good bit heavier than my carbon bike but that's only really noticeable on hills. I would suggest you upgrade the wheels when funds allow, at a combined weight of 4kg, they are a big part of the weight problem, thats about 1kg heavier than a budget wheel set.
    I have also upgraded the forks (For free) which shaved another half kilo off, leaving me with a 10kg TDF.
    The group set is about 1kg heavier than a SRAM Rival group set, but I will only upgrade when components are worn.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

belfast bike shop .Triban base model is supposed to be top class :)
    will deliver down south :D
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/triban

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I take it this 58cm frame is a tad small for someone who is 6"1'.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Thanks all for your replies.

@ Stella Virgo : I saw that bike also. But just for looks alone i like the TDF much more. But the Triban does look to be a slightly better bike.

@ Leslie91 : Was wondering that also my self. It says Large 58cm so maybe i be best to go and see if i can take it for a spin. I know my Trek is 22.5inch and i just put the saddle up another inch and it feels good.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

stetyrrell wrote: »
    (this is the logic of old men cyclists, he went faster than me, so I have to beat him next time!).

I corrected the wording for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Is there much difference between the Carrera TDF and the Virtuoso?

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_810601_langId_-1_categoryId_212536#tab2

I'm just getting going and looking around for an entry level road bike at the moment on a limited budget and had been looking at the Virtuoso, but the TDF looks pretty similar and much cheaper.

• Advertisement

@ Lepidoptera : Not sure if the Virtuoso is a better spec maybe someone can clear it up. But it does cost a little extra in this moment of time (looking at it, i dont think it is better).

Well the wife gave me the ok and buy it if i like it. So will be going down tomorrow to make my mind up.

Also googled the size of the bike and found people of 6foot 3 & 4 ridding the bike. They all kind of agree that the bike is to small for people of their size and would suit someone of 6foot or my height of 6foot 1.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I take it this 58cm frame is a tad small for someone who is 6"1'.......?

A 58 should be perfect. I'm 6ft2in and have a 58 and 56 in different bIkes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Ordered one online today, to collect tomorrow with a few upgrades in mind im looking forward to getting back on a road bike for the first time in over 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I have this Bike and am happy with it. Just bear in mind that everything on the bike is about as cheap as can be. I immediately changed the cages because they didn't work for me and got clip in pedals. Also had to change the tires as was getting punctures almost every time I went out, only one puncture since I did. Next target tochange is the wheels and also thinking of changing the saddle as my ass does be in bits after about 100k. That might be any saddle though.

All in all still a good bike at that price, you just can't go wrong.

@ a148pro : I do not like the cage pedal also so they are going to be changed. If i buy the bike i might even cut the cage until i get a clip in. Was reading people saying the tyres are not all that good and only got 1,000 to 2,000km out of them.

What height are you? and did you get the 54cm or 58cm?

I'm 6 foot, whatever that is in meters and I can't remember what size I got but from what you're saying I imagine I got the larger one

Got the bike and so far im very happy with it. But as you guessed it was built by some young boys i would bet. As the gears are not moving all that good up and down at the back. Put it up on my stand last night but only had a few mins and could not fix it my self. Going to look at a few youtube videos to fine tune it, hope i can sort it out for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Post up if you find anything to make the gears better, I have the same problem, I will also do some research tonight hopefully, going to attempt my first 70km over the weekend so want a bit of fine tuning myself.

Well im taking a half day so i can work on it. I will be left with one child to mind so i will give her some sweats to keep her busy. Will tell the wife and the boys to take their time no need to rush home :).

Videos i have watched so far which i find good are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_bGcuezsIo (for the back)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxV_vKlgolc (for the front)

I even think my front is rubbing slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

dont forget about avoiding crosschaining

edit - im not recomending these chain rings - i was just highlight cross chaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Hope you're able to sort it out, and thanks for posting those videos. They manage to make everything look so simple ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

I had a carerra tdf for over a year and I couldn't fault it. I would take it back and tell them your not leaving till its fine tuned. After all they promise a check up after 6 weeks or something like that do they not. Why give yourself the hassle. Maybe its just shop staff that put it together and not a proper bike mechanic.

Whenever you buy a new bike the gears will slip after a bit of use, because of this they usually give you a free service after six weeks or so, pretty sure halfords do this as standard, they did with my tdf anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Bring the bike back and insist that it's set up Properly. Then in 6 weeks time when things stretch and loosen up being it back for further adjustment but everything should work smoothly from the start so don't listen to any BS excuses from them.

Took the bike for 2 spins over the weekend.
    First one was just getting the seat set up and the next a longer one. Was good over all will take me a while to get used to a road bike again. Set some PR on strava and was not even trying to go fast, when the bike gets upto 50km i would slow it down as im not used to going that fast :).

Front derailleur is working 100%, but the back is working maybe 95% its not perfect. Will have to bring it back this week to get them to fix it.

Things i noted.
    Bike feels real stiff compaired to my hybird bike.
    Bike is very fast on downhills and strights.

How was the saddle ?

I found it all right.
    I think my butt is well trained from my hybird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Thinking about getting this myself, very enticing with the discount.

The Triban 3 is out of stock at the moment according to the website but I've been looking at that as well as both are relatively cheap and i cannot afford to spend much more.

BadCharlie wrote: »
    I found it all right.
    I think my butt is well trained from my hybird.

Ah your ok so, haven't taking mine out yet waiting for a few bits to arrive in the post, i'm expecting my butt to be killing me, i haven't been biking for some years :)

• Advertisement

Ah your ok so, haven't taking mine out yet waiting for a few bits to arrive in the post, i'm expecting my butt to be killing me, i haven't been biking for some years :)

Oh that it will.
    The first time i took my Hybird for a longer spin then normal my butt was killing me for the next 2 days. Just have to build it up slowly.

Advertisement