Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice on Halfords Carrera TDF

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

ironkiwi wrote: »
    I'm finding the hills tough on my Carrera TDF to be honest, any suggestions on changing to a compact chainset maybe? Or do I just need to get used to hills as I'm only back in the saddle 2 months after a 10 years out of cycling

get fitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Roquentin wrote: »
    get fitter

My friend just did the Sean Kelly 100 last weekend with the tdf. Have zonda wheels on it and his not bike fit and he had no problem doing it. I'm sure he passed out much more expensive bikes on the day. Next year we plan on doing the 160.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I cycle this bike a lot and do a lot of decent spins in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains. If I had a choice I would definitely add one more gear. I'm often looking at mates on other bikes and they seem to be spinning faster while going at the same speed (i.e. their easiest gear is easier).

Its certainly doable though, and I suspect a lot of people complaining just don't realise how much harder it is to cycle up hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have this bike as well and so far very happy with it.
    I would agree it could do with another gear for going up the hills. I was clueless about gear ratios until I browsed here. So I went out recently and counted the sprockets. It seems to be a compact chainset 50/34 with a 7 speed cassette at the back 14-28. The lowest gear is thus 34 28. Am I right in that?
    That would seem a low enough gear, the back wheel turning 28 times for every 34 turns of the pedals. I am fairly fit and hills can be tough enough though I stay in the saddle all the time. I can do a short sharp hill fine but I think a long one would be tough. I attempted the hill to Keem beach on Achill but had to stop once on way up.
    The lowest gear is thus 34 28. Am I right in that?
    That would seem a low enough gear, the back wheel turning 28 times for every 34 turns of the pedals.

Actually I am wrong there I think. I should have divided 34 by 28, equals 1.21, so 1.21 turns of the back wheel for every revolution of the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

34/28 would be a fairly low gear alright. Probably the most common low gear for a leisure cyclist out there, I'd guess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement