Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a freezing cold flat!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I once rented a place that had bedrooms on the ground floor. This was during one of the freezing winters 3 or 4 years ago. My bedroom had a fcuking patio door out on to the back garden, which was itself pathetic. Needless to say it was an awful place. When the winter came the bedroom was an icebox. The shower broke and the management company were dicks. 3 weeks without a working shower! Didn't stay to finish the lease, obviously. Oh celtic tiger, I'm glad you're dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Girlfriends come with BER ratings now?

Possibly, I'll ask the assessor if he can run his eye over you, but by all accounts you are a C. I would need at least a B+ :P :pac:

Seems you are an A+.

I couldn't afford the rent. So close to comfort. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Why dont you move somewhere warmer..............................................................................like Nigeria.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tell her about that time with her sister and things should hot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

rsgreen28 wrote: »
    it was warm when i moved in and was told its a nice warm flat and im not paying mental esb bills to keep warm, there has to be something that can be done can i ask him to do an energie rating or anything like that.?

There is something that can be done, MOVE! A BER rating will just tell you what you already know,that the flat is poorly insulated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

repsol wrote: »
    There is something that can be done, MOVE! A BER rating will just tell you what you already know,that the flat is poorly insulated.

Won't the OP need to give a months notice?

OP ask the landlord to provide you with a heater from Argos or somewhere. It'll only be till you move so the bill shouldn't be too awful. If you can't move invest in a good electric blanket for night-time and a warm winter jacket to wear during the day/evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Genuine question:

They have basic wee 2000w fan heaters in argos.
    Can someone explain, using sience, if it is cheaper for me to turn on the heating (electronic) for an hour or a 15min blasht of such a fan heater, just to take the nip out of the air?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Id say buy a heated blanket. Im used to the cold at my house but going to bed with a heated blanket, gods gift to man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Mine is 'quite hot'. I'm hoping if I lose some 'insulation' my rating will increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Get yourself some bowls of boil in boles of boyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Just do a few things to keep in heat. Close vents, doors and that to prevent drafts.

Say it to the landlord too though about the BER and if that doesn't work accept the fact your a wuss and complaining of the cold in winter was a stupid thing to do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Buy a tube of Deep Heat and apply liberally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

This is a pretty stupid thread, you should have had an idea how warm the place would be when you first looked at it, you can tell by how old the building is, wall depth, type of heating, is it just some old storage heaters etc. You agreed to rent the place, it's not the landlords fault. It is Winter ya know! Get a little fan heater, keeps doors between rooms shut, wear warm clothes......you don't have to spend a fortune on heating, turn down/off the radiators in the rooms you're not using during the day, get a hot water bottle for night time, move out and find a better place, do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Great idea , I mean she's hot now ... But how long will she stay hot for...?
    Who do you appeal to if you wake up one morning and think what the f## have I done...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

it was warm when i moved in and was told its a nice warm flat and im not paying mental esb bills to keep warm, there has to be something that can be done can i ask him to do an energie rating or anything like that.?
    I expect you have storage heaters? If used properly, take the biting chill out of the air. I have storage heaters in my apartment. In the living room and hallway, they are the type of heaters which heat up during the night when electricity is cheaper and release it during the day. You need to leave these heaters on 24/7. If you don't, they will go stone cold and it will cost loads to keep reheating them.

The heater in the bedroom is likely electric. I think there is some law that they can't have storage heaters in bedrooms (or so I was told). The electric heaters are the worst as they eat electricity and so stone cold once turned off. At least with central heating and storage heaters they take awhile to cool down.

If you won't pay to keep warm, then there is nothing the landlord is going to do. As other posters have said, an energy rating won't make the apartment any warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

antodeco wrote: »
    Is the flat really small?
    When you close the front door do the lights go out?

If so, you're probably living in the fridge.

Post of the day tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I expect you have storage heaters? If used properly, take the biting chill out of the air. I have storage heaters in my apartment. In the living room and hallway, they are the type of heaters which heat up during the night when electricity is cheaper and release it during the day. You need to leave these heaters on 24/7. If you don't, they will go stone cold and it will cost loads to keep reheating them.

The heater in the bedroom is likely electric. I think there is some law that they can't have storage heaters in bedrooms (or so I was told). The electric heaters are the worst as they eat electricity and so stone cold once turned off. At least with central heating and storage heaters they take awhile to cool down.

If you won't pay to keep warm, then there is nothing the landlord is going to do. As other posters have said, an energy rating won't make the apartment any warmer.
    This^^. I have storage heating and its not so bad if used correctly. I have 2 switches on mine, I leave one switch on 24 hours,the other one is just used to give an odd blast of hot air. I also have one of those portable gas fires (orange bottle) that I use. A 30 euro bottle of gas does me 4 or 5 weeks...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Buy a tube of Deep Heat and apply liberally.
    But wash your hands thoroughly before going to the toilet.,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pcash

hi im renting a freezing cold flat in boyle, im just wondering what can i do about this or what can i ask the land lord to do have i any right's, if i turn heat on for a few hours and thin turn it off again ill have a blanket back on me after 10 min,

Any help be great thanks

buy a superser calor gas heater they are great a bottle will last about 6 to 8 weeks a bottle of gas is 35e well worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

pcash wrote: »
    buy a superser calor gas heater they are great a bottle will last about 6 to 8 weeks a bottle of gas is 35e well worth it

He's probably froze to death at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Seriously how do you even find this thread unless you went looking for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

An AH thread where "fire" is actually a valid response..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Super ser gets my vote too. Always had one when I was in college. It was the first thing loaded into the car every September.
    (Legend has it though that if you don't put a bowl of water sitting on top of it though something really bad happens!!! So my mammy always told me anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Buy a couple of ten euro fan heaters from power city, run them constantly, rig your esb meter, walk around naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭lau1247

electric blanket is fan-fookin'-tastic!!

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement