Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a freezing cold flat!

Options
  • 27-11-2012 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

hi im renting a freezing cold flat in boyle, im just wondering what can i do about this or what can i ask the land lord to do have i any right's, if i turn heat on for a few hours and thin turn it off again ill have a blanket back on me after 10 min,

Any help be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Keep the heating turned on for the night, tis cold out there.

As a matter of interest, was the flat warm a few months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

small blow heater (not expensive) just have it in the room you are using, if you decide to move room take it with you.

in saying that if I was renting a freezing cold flat I would expect it to be that, if it was warm I would be kinda piiissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rsgreen28

it was warm when i moved in and was told its a nice warm flat and im not paying mental esb bills to keep warm, there has to be something that can be done can i ask him to do an energie rating or anything like that.?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Put on a jumper.

Dean09 wrote: »
    Put on a jumper.

so you want him to carry a body around with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

rsgreen28 wrote: »
    it was warm when i moved in and was told its a nice warm flat and im not paying mental esb bills to keep warm, there has to be something that can be done can i ask him to do an energie rating or anything like that.?

Sounds as if you're experiencing something we call 'winter'. The last few nights have been very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

tell the landlord it is too cold to stay there and you will move out if he doesn't do something about it.

are the windows double-glazed? insulation in the walls? etc.

if he says he won't do anything about it, then find another flat - there are loads available these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You should be worried if it wasn't cold... I've got 2 t shirts and 2 hoodies on right now. It's cold out... How cold is your flat? Like is it see-your-own-breath cold inside? If not just man up and insulate yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

You should be worried if it wasn't cold... I've got 2 t shirts and 2 hoodies on right now. It's cold out... How cold is your flat? Like is it see-your-own-breath cold inside? If not just man up and insulate yourself
    Apt username is apt

Let us know where you will be walking tonight so we can avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

Boyle is a very cold place in winter being so far from the ocean and the wind comes down off the Curlew mountains.

Is it a modern apartment?

I rented a place above a chipper in an old building in Longford a few years ago. Needed almost no heating a winter. A good tip for looking for a place to live in a provincial town. The old flats above the shops are usually much warmer in the winter. The new ones are cardboard walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

can i ask him to do an energie rating or anything like that?
    Any building that is rented since January 2009 is required to have a BER certificate which will tell you how energy efficient it is. You are entitled to see it so you can ask for it if you like. I don't know if you can do anything if you have already signed your lease without asking for it.

You have my sympathy though, the year we had that really bad winter I was living in an apartment with single pane windows. If you left the heating on constantly and didn't go too close to the windows, it was almost bearable.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is the flat really small?
    When you close the front door do the lights go out?

If so, you're probably living in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Did you ask to see the BER rating before you moved in OP?

No would be the answer there, tough sh*t I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

hi im renting a freezing cold flat in boyle, im just wondering what can i do about this or what can i ask the land lord to do have i any right's, if i turn heat on for a few hours and thin turn it off again ill have a blanket back on me after 10 min,

Any help be great thanks

Put a jumper and a hat over the flat outside, if it's cold outside, well then inevitably it's going to be cold inside.
    Hippies! wrote: »
    Did you ask to see the BER rating before you moved in OP?

No would be the answer there, tough sh*t I say.

As in, Brrrrrrrrrrrr it's cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Put a jumper and a hat over the flat outside

Apt username is apt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

As in, Brrrrrrrrrrrr it's cold?

As in, give the poor lad your wooly red hat :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Invest in one or two DeLonghi Dragon oil heaters, they could heat China. They are the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Hibernate in 14 sleeping bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Apt username is apt

Yes, it is quite fitting.
    Hippies! wrote: »
    As in, give the poor lad your wooly red hat :)

It doesn't come off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Dean09 wrote: »
    Apt username is apt

It's a flat not an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

amateurs. my old georgian apartment has no central heating. it was so cold in my kitchen in 2010 that i could leave all the food out of the fridge.. olive oil had solidified & taking ones hand from under the covers in bed for more than ten seconds would cause skin to go blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Shouldn't you be Boyl-ing :D Seriously complain to your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

amateurs. my old georgian apartment has no central heating. it was so cold in my kitchen in 2010 that i could leave all the food out of the fridge.. olive oil had solidified & taking ones hand from under the covers in bed for more than ten seconds would cause skin to go blue.

I think you're the amateur here for putting yourself through that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

mine was the same. we got ice on the inside of the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Break up a few pallets and burn them on the middle of the floor.....job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Days of speed and slow time Mondays -
    Pissing down with rain on a boring Wednesday -
    Watching the news and not eating your tea -
    A freezing cold flat and damp on the walls -
    That's Entertainment.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Get a skipping rope.. Really good for warming you up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Get a girlfriend and a BER rating.

• Advertisement

Spiritual wrote: »
    Get a girlfriend and a BER rating.

Girlfriends come with BER ratings now?

Advertisement