Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City and Greater area – Danger points

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

bazermc wrote: »
    There’s a road like that in Sandyford, Benilidus ave, it runs between The Beacon and Drummartin Link road. The cycle lane is wider than normal allowing cars to squeeze through and effectively as an extra lane.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in my car in a line of traffic on that road a I got blasted out of it at by other cars who were trying to squeeze into using the bike lane, even though I wasn’t at all in the bike lane itself and was queuing normally.
    Yeah, bit of a design fail that one. Did that road have that cycle lane design from the beginning? It could do with a kerb to stop cars using it as an extra lane. Unless the road designers intended it to be used as extra capacity at peak hours. Nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

alentejo wrote: »
    I have a few

Ill start with Memorial Bridge south bound (North Stand / IFSC) heading towards south quays and O'Connell Bridge.

Need to position yourself in the middle of 4 lanes of traffic. I know there is a cycle track on the bridge but not sure if it is even marked anymore!

You can turn right onto custom house quay and use the Rosie Hackett Bridge if going to the south quays upstream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Garzard

Soon turning the corner northbound from Terenure Road E onto the Rathgar Road, there's an extremely shoddy metal & tarmac covering left over from previous roadworks immediately ahead of a sagging drain cover. Will never forget the shock of hitting it once a few months back. It can be difficult to recall where it is exactly, as cars are often parked at that corner and blocking the view.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3128209,-6.2735951,3a,59.2y,330.36h,63.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sevYPcB93szBgSHIRpjyJDQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bazermc wrote: »
    There’s a road like that in Sandyford, Benilidus ave, it runs between The Beacon and Drummartin Link road. The cycle lane is wider than normal allowing cars to squeeze through and effectively as an extra lane.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in my car in a line of traffic on that road a I got blasted out of it at by other cars who were trying to squeeze into using the bike lane, even though I wasn’t at all in the bike lane itself and was queuing normally.

Theres ZERO reason DLRCC couldn't have isolated the cycle lane entirely. Its a straight run with no entrances/exits.

ED E wrote: »
    Theres ZERO reason DLRCC couldn't have isolated the cycle lane entirely. Its a straight run with no entrances/exits.

Yes, think there's just one gate on the section heading towards the Kilmacud Luas stop, and it's padlocked most of the time. Think it's just for occasional access to the GAA grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Matters are not improving along this stretch on Beaver Row, I have recently witnessed and experienced a number of very close calls. 1.5 lanes attempting to cater to two lines of traffic and throw the 14 drivers I saw using their mobile phone yesterday along Beaver Row at 8am in the morning - this is brewing up for a serious accident.

Fair paly to DCC and DLRCC who are doing tremendous work improving sustainable cycling infrastructure but Beaver Row needs their continued efforts. Gardaí surveillance in the interim along this stretch could put manners on the careless drivers.

No disrespect here intended for the majority of considerate motorists.

Post edited by Lambretta on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not too sure about that majority of considerate drivers. Most drivers break speed limits. Most drivers admitted to using their phones while driving in two recent surveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm no longer based in Clonskeagh when in the office, but is nothing happening with the Dodder Greenway on that stretch? Also, I think one of the roads further on towards town is trialling one way for motorists?

A Detour through UCD may be an option via Belfield Business Park or Richview and come out on the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

There's a rather nice Alfa Romeo parked on Beaver Row each evening. Must be on its 3rd mirror of 2022 so far.

Nasty spot to get caught alright - you do feel a major incident is coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Did this today out to Santry. Very very dangerous...must be mad in winter darkness

Other deathspots:

• the changevover on the north quay heading into centre;
    • doyles corner
    • crossguns bridge
    • the port area generally especially the entrance road
    • the thomas street turn down to heuston
    • ringsend to alfie byrne
    • sandymount
    • strawberry beds all the way to leixslip
    • flyover from castleknock to blanch
    • the list is endless....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've cycled over that Tolka (not Dodder) bridge hundreds of times without incident. Because it's so narrow, it makes it relatively safe as you just take the lane and there's no room for a close pass. It it was wider, it would probably be more dangerous.

(Ironically though, the first time I did the artic truck test I failed it at that spot because of the actions of a stupid cyclist and my lack of anticipation of his actions. The tester closed his clip board and threw it up on the dashboard leaving me to continue for another hour knowing I was already doomed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Everyone from walkers to drivers breaks the rules of roads!!!!!!!

Rules of the Road aren't necessarily laws, unlike Speeding and Using a mobile phone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The cyclists I feel sorry for on Frank Flood bridge (yes, that's the official name https://www.thejournal.ie/drumcondra-bridge-naming-3902587-Mar2018/) are the intimidated ones hugging the gutter. At least the resurfacing a few years ago removed most of the potholes. If ever there was a place to take the lane as suggested by WA, that's it.

I love the description of the driving test - realising you are doomed but having to continue on is something a lot of us can relate to 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

doyles corner

crossguns bridge

I started this post yesterday and was going to ask what issues you’ve had with them. I come through both twice daily and am fine with them.

Today I applied the “would I let my child cycle here” test. Yeah, you’re right.

Cross Guns bridge itself is ok, I think. The approach from Hart’s Corner, and Hart’s Corner in general, is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In relation to your 'would I let my child cycle here' bit, Mrs WA is talking about cycling to work one day per week. Her direct journey would involve Blake's Cross (unless she chose a longer route). I cycle through Blake's Cross multiple times each week and am very accustomed to it but I do find myself asking "Would I let my wife cycle here".

Dont be daft, women can’t cycle. Did you not listen to Ciara Kelly over on the journalism thread?

Anyway, for the benefit of us southsiders (despite my commute), where is Blake’s Cross please?

Edit: I found it. F**k me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That’s true, runners too.

Though cyclists, runners and walkers don’t kill a couple of people each week on the road.

• Advertisement

There's a few spots on my commute that I wouldn't be sure of whether I could hand on heart recommend to an inexperienced cyclist. Deansgrange and RDS to the canal really are not great, despite some of the commentary we've seen around proposed infrastructure. There's also a pinch point between Trimleston Avenue and (I think it's called) Elm Park is close pass central unless you're confident enough to take the lane, inbound.

I've been paying more attention as the missus may be back in town, not because she's a woman, but because she's inexperienced. ebike should be an option, I'm not sure I could suggest it!

I agree with all of those. The cycle lane going past Blackrock College inbound is dreadful too: the general traffic lane beside it is about a metre wide in places. I had my first (and to this day worst) close pass there many years ago as a young lad, a speeding black BMW gave me about 10 cm. More recently I had a driver sit on the horn behind me and flash me repeatedly for taking the lane there. On an otherwise empty road, with another empty lane available, at night.

Is Belmont Avenue the one-way trial you're thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Belmont Ave trial is starting on 1 June. No entry to Belmont Ave from Sandford Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Sorry i should have added that it is just car access that is being prohibited, cycle access will be maintained from Sandford Road.

That road is pure rat-runner Tetris as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

East Road has it all, in both directions. It's an obstacle course with a terrible surface, decades-old potholes, manhole covers, bad repairs, entrances to the hire place and sorting office, a bus terminus, bad parking around the shops, drivers pulling out of side roads and apartments with obstructed views (and no brake pedal), construction sites and finally, the "traffic calming" bottleneck at the railway bridge that takes no account of bikes

Advertisement