Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City and Greater area – Danger points

Options

Comments

I used to have turn right from clonskeagh onto beechhill on the bike, not sure what it's like now but can't imagine it's fun. Sometimes I rode along the dodder and would have to use the ped lights at that T junction to get across, and be on my way. Again been 10 years so not sure what they did there since if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭raheny red

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Drumcondra Road coming out of town towards the Dodder

There is a bike path on the footpatch all the way as far as Fagans

The bike path merges with the road at a point where
    (I) Buses are pulling in to a bus stop
    (II) Cars are turning left onto Botanic Road

Very hairy.

You then progress onto the bridge - two narrow car lanes. There is NO room to overtake cyclists but many motorists try to do it anyway.

Cycling in Drumcondra is hairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

1: Beaver Row/Beech Hill Road, just too narrow and dangerous when congested. In an ideal world it would be one way but I can never see it happening with too many business's and residences on the road.
    One way would be great, or if they could just stop the storage of private property on public space (parking), that would make a big difference too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

There is a bike path on the footpatch all the way as far as Fagans

The bike path merges with the road at a point where
    (I) Buses are pulling in to a bus stop
    (II) Cars are turning left onto Botanic Road

Very hairy.

You then progress onto the bridge - two narrow car lanes. There is NO room to overtake cyclists but many motorists try to do it anyway.

What's a footpatch? Do you mean a footpad? :D

Also, agreed on the terrible cycle track. Had a discussion with my brother a few years back about "why cyclists don't use cycle tracks". This cycle track was the example I used, and he conceded the point.

I'd include it from Binnsbridge tbh - it's tight against parking spaces, takes you up the inside of left-hand turning cars, and there's a busy Dublin bus stop and Aercoach stop in it too.

Then when it goes off-road, it's not clearly delineated and the change takes place at a pedestrian crossing, so people often stand in it. It then loses priority at every single side road, and cyclists are expected to either twist their heads nearly 180° while moving or come to a total stop while travelling on what is essentially the N1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I used to have turn right from clonskeagh onto beechhill on the bike, not sure what it's like now but can't imagine it's fun. Sometimes I rode along the dodder and would have to use the ped lights at that T junction to get across, and be on my way. Again been 10 years so not sure what they did there since if anything.
    Don't think it's changed. There's not really any great alternatives, as going on towards Ranelagh and taking any of the right turns aren't a whole lot better in my experience. I cut through UCD to my workplace, if coming from Clonskeagh. Not that the motorists and pedestrian interactions are that great in Belfield, but it isn't as crazy.

Which reminds me of how bad the Goat junction is coming from Dundrum direction, the couple of times I did it. Well rather the approach to the junction. And again, the estates that you could cut through are rat runs so not exactly quiet ways. I went back to the N11 after a few days of extending the commute a bit through Sandyford mainly because of it (not just there, Lambs Cross was never pleasant either).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

New one - Dawson Street North Bound and turning on to Molesworth Street. Need as a cyclist to concentrate on both tram tracks, on coming trams / traffic and other traffic also trying to do the same turn. Also keeping an eye out for Peds crossing as well. It was soo much easier before Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Which reminds me of how bad the Goat junction is coming from Dundrum direction, the couple of times I did it. Well rather the approach to the junction. And again, the estates that you could cut through are rat runs so not exactly quiet ways. I went back to the N11 after a few days of extending the commute a bit through Sandyford mainly because of it (not just there, Lambs Cross was never pleasant either).

If you're coming from Dundrum direction and turning right, heading towards Drummartin, you can cut through the car park of the Goat pub, and use the little residential road that flanks the main road. You need to get back onto the main road then, but I find this better than going through the crossroads when making that turn. Same with coming from Drummartin and heading to Dundrum, though since it's only a left turn, I just do it to avoid the queue of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

A lot of the posts here remind me that Dublin's traffic problems are as much or maybe more to do with an excess of on-street car parking as to do with an excess of car use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

The Tolka you mean (not to be a stickler)

Agree with your post though, it's very dangerous around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

riemann wrote: »
    The Tolka you mean (not to be a stickler)

Agree with your post though, it's very dangerous around there.

That is correcto, I always get them mixed up for some reason -

Watched a private bus cross the bridge this morning and then drive the whole way up Drumcondra road with one wheel in the bike path.

• Advertisement

Junction of Capel Street and Ryders Row.

Contra flow cycle lane on Capel St. Car's coming up Ryders Row onto Capel St. look left for traffic, not always checking their right for cyclists.

466920.jpg

Based on Road markings both cyclists and vehicles should yield but most cyclists don't seem to do this (I may be wrong).

Seen several close calls and a few cyclists knocked off. Recently reported the junction to the council so hopefully they will simplify things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Recently reported the junction to the council so hopefully they will simplify things.

Hopefully 'simplifying things' does not involve some kind of 'No bikes' sign! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

check_six wrote: »
    Hopefully 'simplifying things' does not involve some kind of 'No bikes' sign! :eek:

More likely a 'Cyclist Dismount' sign!

Mention of Dawson Street a few posts ago reminded me that Dawson Street to Westmoreland Street via Nassau Street, Lr Grafton Street and College Green is technically still legal (AFAIK) but in practice very tricky with tracks, trams, buses and pedestrians to contend with and hopefully avoid. Even accessing the two way bike lane along by the Bank of Ireland has been made more difficult by the addition of close-spaced wands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

More likely a 'Cyclist Dismount' sign!

Mention of Dawson Street a few posts ago reminded me that Dawson Street to Westmoreland Street via Nassau Street, Lr Grafton Street and College Green is technically still legal (AFAIK) but in practice very tricky with tracks, trams, buses and pedestrians to contend with and hopefully avoid. Even accessing the two way bike lane along by the Bank of Ireland has been made more difficult by the addition of close-spaced wands.

Those are hilarious.

Motorists - get out of your car and push it across.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... Car's coming up Ryders Row onto Capel St. look left for traffic, not always checking their right for cyclists..
    I find the opposite to be the case - drivers nearly always yield to me even though it's supposed to be the other way around.

I find the opposite to be the case - drivers nearly always yield to me even though it's supposed to be the other way around.

What do you mean by the other way round?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

raheny red wrote: »
    Cycling in Drumcondra is hairy.

Only every use that path in the rain. Bus lane all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ted1 wrote: »
    I just used it to report the RTE to UCD cycle path

I also used fixmystreet to report the drivers using the new bike lane in the n11 and Cabinteely crossroads outbound. Fair play tinthe council new tragic wands appeared two days later !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What do you mean by the other way round?
    I see what you mean now - there are yield signs for both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Hi All,

I’m not sure if this has been done before on this forum but from your own personal experience what is the most dangerous stretch of road you must negotiate on your commute/general cycle in and around the greater Dublin area.

For reference I’ve been cycling in and around Dublin city and the greater area since the 90’s. I’ve lived and cycled on both sides of the city.

The reason I’m asking is I’m comfortable and feel safe to a general degree on pretty much every road in Dublin I use (provided your switched on) but the only place I have a genuine fear is Victoria Quay outside the Guinness Brewery when trying to negotiate the 4 lanes to get to the Phoneix Park/Chapelizod due to intermittent aggressive driver behavior.

For the record a large majority of drivers on this stretch or road are patient and understanding but I’ve had a number of close passes/tailgating incidents generally from “professional drivers” (not Dublin Bus btw).

If there is enough feedback it may be useful to the various cycle advocacy groups in operation for statistical purposes in terms of danger points from cyclists of all levels.

Thanks

This for me too, I hate it. Buses / taxi's up your backside in the bus lane (and motorbikes!) and then trying to constantly look around for a break in traffic.

FWIW I emailed the council and copied Ciaran Cuffe asking that the 30kph speed limit be extended up to here. I must follow up with them, maybe a video of what it actually looks like might help them along. The best solution would be to remove the parking from the right hand lane and turn it into a cycle lane for anyone turning right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

This photo speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

bazermc wrote: »
    This photo speaks for itself.

No it doesn't. Wrong thread maybe?

accensi0n wrote: »
    No it doesn't. Wrong thread maybe?

I dont agree The car was parked in Dublin City and was creating a danger point, forcing cyclists off the cycle path and onto the main road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

ted1 wrote: »
    I also used fixmystreet to report the drivers using the new bike lane in the n11 and Cabinteely crossroads outbound. Fair play tinthe council new tragic wands appeared two days later !!

Fair dues to you .... I actually got hit twice by cars turning left at that junction before they installed the wands!! Whoever designed the bike lane should be fired - the way cyclists “drop out” of sight and then reappear from behind the bus shelter is crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

C3PO wrote: »
    Fair dues to you .... I actually got hit twice by cars turning left at that junction before they installed the wands!! Whoever designed the bike lane should be fired - the way cyclists “drop out” of sight and then reappear from behind the bus shelter is crazy!

Exactly the same issue across the road from the Radisson at fosters avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Whoever designed the bike lane should be fired -

This point has occurred to me on many occasions. I know there is a policy book (wrong term I'm sure) for road / civil engineers regarding standards etcetera for cycling infrastructure. But, I'm astonished from time to time how someone actually signed-off on Dublin's cycling paths. Aside for stupidity cited above, there are so many ridiculously stupid pieces of infrastructure that someone 'signed off' as job done.

I don't really think it's the bus stop/ cyclelane design, more the proximity to the junction. fwiw my near miss at that junction just before the wands had little to do with the layout and everything to the motorists facetiming while driving...

I don't know whether it's "best practice", but it seems to be the current preferred option - it's what they've done at the new stop for the top of Mount Merrion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't really think it's the bus stop/ cyclelane design, more the proximity to the junction. fwiw my near miss at that junction just before the wands had little to do with the layout and everything to the motorists facetiming while driving...

I don't know whether it's "best practice", but it seems to be the current preferred option - it's what they've done at the new stop for the top of Mount Merrion.

The problem is that the cycle lane swings left behind a tall fence and then goes behind the bus shelter so that cyclist are effectively out of motorists vision for about 100mts before the junction - drivers simply don't see cyclists until they turn in on top of them!

The problem is that the cycle lane swings left behind a tall fence and then goes behind the bus shelter so that cyclist are effectively out of motorists vision for about 100mts before the junction - drivers simply don't see cyclists until they turn in on top of them!
    I know the junction - it's on my commute. But I'd still prefer that design to infront of the bus shelter or dumping me into the bus stop, like others on the N11. They should've moved the bus stop to the opposite corner really.

• Advertisement

There’s a road like that in Sandyford, Benilidus ave, it runs between The Beacon and Drummartin Link road. The cycle lane is wider than normal allowing cars to squeeze through and effectively as an extra lane.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in my car in a line of traffic on that road a I got blasted out of it at by other cars who were trying to squeeze into using the bike lane, even though I wasn’t at all in the bike lane itself and was queuing normally.

Advertisement