Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad neighbours - what to do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭loopyloulou

My friend was in a similar situation up until last week! There were 5 Polish lads living next door and they were making noise at all hours of the morning, opening and closing doors constantly when there was no need to. They have a two year old so her boyfriend went in to ask them to keep it down a couple of times, he was nice about it but one of the times they all came out to the door and surrounded him, didnt touch him but after that they were mentally intimidated for 5 months. They used to stand in their front garden drinking and looking in the window and act like they were putting a gun to their heads while looking at her fella. They went to the guards, the letting agent, their local TD, the landlords father (as she was living in England and he was looking after it for her). Eventually the landlord had to fly in from England and it was only after speaking to my friend that she realised how bad it actually was. They were evicted last week which is all well and good but the effect its had on them is awful. My friend is skin and bone shes lost so much weight and her boyfriend thought he was going mad because a lot of the time the noise only happend when he was in the house and stopped when my friend got home. He was actually getting other neighbours into the house to make sure they could hear it and that he wasnt going mad!!!
    I think its all very well saying get a big gang up to threaten them, but they can go home at the end of the day, the people who live there will have to deal with the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

My sympathies really go out to people putting up with this, have had similar problems over the past few months with about 10 lithuanians in rented house next door. Despite the fact the letting agency told me they were in breach of contract as house was only meant to be rented to 4 they still didnt do anything.

What seemed to do the trick was a 4 page letter I sent to both documenting every single disturbance over a 2 month period and also sent it to the PRTB (unbelievably it costs 25 euro to register a 3rd party complaint) who I assume are also now chasing the landlord to enforce registration. Like you say the landlord didnt really seem bothered once the rent keeps rolling in but things have gone alot quieter now and hopefully he wont re-new their lease.

I had tried ringing him every time it happened but just kept getting fobbed off and a reply to 'call the guards' but they are his responsibility at the end of the day. I think it was when everyhting was written down that it took a bit more of an effect.

Someone on boards once suggested videorecording any disturbances that happen esp if the noise is very loud in their house and this isnt a bad idea either as backs up any written evidence as further proof. The PRTB website www.prtb.ie has further info about making a complaint and reporting non registered tenancies.

Really hope it works out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

1. Keep a log book. Everything that happens - brief details and time. This may come in very handy later.

2. Get the landlord's number. Ring him when they're creating a disturbance. EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's 4am? Ring him! They quietened down but are noisy again? Ring him!

3. Ring your local Garda station when they are acting the bollox altogether (i.e. between midnight and 8am). EVERY SINGLE TIME. There was a thread recently - in the Property board I think - detailing the laws under which the Gardai HAVE to act.

4. Check the Tenancies Board's website - www.prtb.ie There is a database here with all the registered addresses. Search for your street etc. and see if the rented address is registered - as is legally required. If not, email them and they will send you a form to report the landlord. If you have had no luck ringing him, I suggest waving this under his nose. If he still does nothing, send it in!

5. Find out who your local councillor and TD are. Ring/meet them - repeatedly.

6. Get your neighbours to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 krungtep

interesting stuff here on noisy neighbours...my situation is the reverse..im a local authority tenant..live alone..im 72. i dont make noise or nuisance for my neighbours.my family hav lived here since 1953. a guy, elderly, tradesman with big white van bought the house next door. he lives there alone. from the day he arrived he ignored me...no problem abt that. but since he arrived he has complained abt the tv noise, the hedges not being cut, and other "noises" coming from my house. i sorted the tv noise and had the hedges cut as required. he is now constantanly complaining abt a hammering and dragging noise from my upstairs back bedroom...i eventually called to him to discuss the matter...he had sent me a solicitors letter abt the alleged noise. we agreed that if it occured again i wud call to him and we would investigate the matter..i did and he was agressive to me and didnt want to discuss the issue..i reported him to the guardai for harrasment..they advice that if it happened again to call and they wud hav a chat with him...now he is back complaining again abt the "noise" emenating from my upstairs bedroom...actrually i think the guy is a littel schzito...any suggestions..please!

thanks..interestring.....this is a different situation..its the private resident who is harassing me...false complaints about noise etc..mad stuff..im a local authority tenant..waht rights do i hav..charge him with ASBO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I'm confused Krungtep. Who is your second post a reply too? The thread is 7 years old.

Why not just make the noises the guy is complaining about. Then after 2 weeks tell him you can make it stop if he stops making false accusations

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

How about a sign:

simpsons+bad+neighbors.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

krungtep wrote: »
    actrually i think the guy is a littel schzito...any suggestions..please!

Schizo enough that he would reply to his own posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

tin79 wrote: »

There was a post that was deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

7 years ago?! Holy crap.

Marty we're going back

Back where Doc?

Great Scott Marty, back to the future!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

tin79 wrote: »

I put up a post in reply to the OP, then noticed the OP was 2006 and deleted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

infosys wrote: »
    I put up a post in reply to the OP, then noticed the OP was 2006 and deleted it.

Its all crystal clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I really thought somebody had just urged the OP to ring the Gardaí and claim there's a blonde, blue eyed child living in the house.....

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭princess 11

Hi everyone i was wondering could anybody help me i dont know where to start i live in rented accomadation in the same house for 9 years .I have a 3 year old child.I live a quiet life due to depression and i am currently on treatment for a brain tumour .A while ago the council moved someone in next door to me and my life is not worth living.The house is attached to me and you can hear everything walls are like cardboard.Constant drinking sessions with no music running up and down stairs slamming doors and flushing the ensuite right behind my bedroom door television blaring so loud i can hear it in every room in the house.My child is being constantly woke up now shes tired and cranky not her usual bubbly self .she has been late to playschool numerous times because were up all night.Im a lone parent i dont have family to stick up for me because i took members of my family for abuse to court years ago.They know this.I have already asked her to keep it down and its gotten worse.My health is getting worse i cry almost every day and went to the doctor because my hair is falling out he said its due to stress.I have looked for other accomadation but there has been nothing within my budget for months.I dread coming home anymore to this hell and they going around laughing around the town falling out of pubs. Im so angry these people have driven me out of my own home away from my lovely neighbours and my childs friends.Please can anyone offer me advice im dreading another weekend coming up i feel like im cracking up

im not a schitzo.. at least not unless im hearing the "noises" too..LOL
    nooo its getting use to thei site...not the easiest to op....

wow sounds like a hell on earth..i presume u have tried all the usual remedies..gardai, landlord rental board, citizens advice etc etc..not having family to suport you is massive headache..do u hav any firends u can go and stay with even for a weekend for a rest ?
    if ur seriously isolated ..no family or friends that can help we might b able to let u crash here..quiet peacful house ..large spare bedroom..dublin 11, for a weekend on /off...just a thought...in any event keep reaching out and u will connect with a source of healp...take care...

jus for interest..i havee 2 romanian families, not romany gypsies, living next door to me and the other across the road. they are the most civilised , friendly and helpful neighbours i ever had..not like some of the native irish head bangers i hav had to tolerate in the past..so dont let the race thing get in your way..just treat them as bad neighbours. i lived in kildare in 1974 and a family of irish travellers bought the house next door..within 12 months i had to move out..living beside dogs and head hunting savages wud have been preferable!!
    the prob with these type of people is that they dont regard the law etc in the way we do..its not a conscious thing..they just dont think respect/peace/consideration as we do..its a different culture...understand that and you can hav a good chance of beating them at their own game...u hav to know your enemy to b able to defeat him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im so glad I dont live near any loud annoying folk who love to party hard.

Hope the gardai sorted out the noisey neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭madamab

I have a sort of similar problem. I live next door to a Romanian family , A set of parents , 2 young girls - An older man and an older woman and about 5 young unsavoury looking lads. The house is not extended so is 2 up 2 down . They are weird , such as the kids will be let into the garden first thing in the morning and there will be blood curdling , death wrenching screams , this is not normal kids screaming it would wake the dead. Last year my son doing his leaving cert was crying in his room he was so stressed. I asked them to stop , they dont care. They went away both years for the month of August and this year a new gang of youngsters moved in. My partner rang the landlord and advised him that we dont know who we are living beside and our neighbours have actually asked this of us. The main tenant the Father of the kids works for the landlord and it is like car and van city next door. In the early days they just parked in front of our drive but now they no longer do. They take up whole paths with vans and cars and only recently after one of the vans being fully parked on a path on a corner my son nearly hit a cyclist as it was in such a blind spot. It took several emails to the landlord to get it moved. Most of the friends and tenants have Audis and the main tenant has a year old Audi jeep probably worth about 70k so I cannot understand if they spend so much money on cars how they would not rent a 4 bed house which is what they require for the ten people that live there. I looked out my landing window one evening to see what was the noise and a group of men standing in a circle in the back garden with cans and smoking roared up at me. They have a pizza oven in the back and my partner has complained that when they are using this or a bbq that they have the decency to inform us so that we can shut our skylights in the kitchen or take in our washing from the line. This has yet to be done. One of the visitors also in an Audi has an out of date insurance disc Feb 2016 and up til a month ago when I saw this vehicle it was still out of date. There is now a car outside their house with another out of date insurance disc albeit 10/16. The house is not registered as a rental property though the landlord has is registered business address here so perhaps they are down as care takers. The landlord really doesnt care at all. The people the other side are foreign nationals also but so quiet and lovely and there is no trouble. I am thinking that there must be something can be done about the overcrowding in the house particularly that there are 2 children living there. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. It would be nice to know exactly who one lived beside! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Only the landlord can sort it out unfortunately. The police usually don't get involved in this sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

You're doomed. Welcome to the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

F*ck that dude. Sounds horrible.

Pop down to the local Sinn Fein office, they might have a couple if suggestions To Help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Huggles wrote: »
    Had the exact same problem a few weeks back, the foreigners don't give two sh1ts. I called the police and was told it was a civil matter and that was the end of that, no help, no car, nothing. Made me sick. In the end I had to bombared the landlord with complaints till tehy where told to calmdown.

The apt next to me has an Irish couple. Neither has had a job as long as I've lived here. They get pissed at every hour of the day or night. I had a skype interview a couple of months ago. One of them vomited outside my sliding door during it (my apt is ground floor).

Above me are three students. There's students there every year. Girls the last two years, guys this year. One Wednesdays and Thursdays the music starts at about 7pm and goes on till midnight when they go out. Then it starts again at 3am when they get home.

there's not a lot you can do about it. In my case my neighbours are scumbags. Their friends who come over are scumbags. So if the noise gets too much I message the management firm and the local council. The council can fine people for noise after 10pm. The person who pays the fine is the owner, not the tenant. So it's an incentive for the landlord to shut them up or kick them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

and now I realise it's a zombie thread resurrected from the dead.

Advertisement