Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Looks like it's going for a hundred quid, an absolute steal right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

I love the Dizzy games on the Commodore 64. Fantasy World Dizzy, Kwik Snax, Magicland Dizzy, Treasure Island Dizzy, etc. 🕹️

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cheesebob has a candy up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

€2200

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

Yeah 2.2k , 😅 over priced tbh while his Famicomtv was great and everything else in the collection they are all on the really high end price wise. There was a few ftv on eBay recently that would have saved you money buying even with customs and shipping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

“The monitor is working perfectly and had little to no screen burn.”

Which is it screen burn or no screen burn?

my OCD couldn’t allow me have a CRT with screen burn

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jimjim23

Hey gang, would anyone know where I'd be able to find an X-men 4 player Cab? I might end up building it from scratch, but wanted to see if I could find an orignal first. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not something you're going to find in Ireland unfortunately. They were big beasts of things so none would have survived by making their way to people's homes really. Can't say I've known of anyone to have one here.

You'd need to import from the US most likely. Combine it's popularity and the sheer size of it, you'd be talking a lot of money to get one in.

Your best bet is probably a home build but using as many original parts as possible. So buy the original marquee art, an original bezel, should be able to get nice reproduction side art etc.

As I always bang on, just make sure to get a CRT in there. The whole thing with a home build is trying to make it feel authentic and to fool your brain into thinking it's a real machine. No better way to do that than with the glow of a CRT.

No CRT & home build just ends up feeling like a PC in a box.

"No CRT & home build just ends up feeling like a PC in a box."

Truer words....

The moment you see an LCD in a cab, it ceases to be authentic really, and it becomes exactly what it is - wood and screws that there's a computer inside of. With the CRT, it becomes more than the sum of its parts.

Master of the Universe

It a weird phenomenon isn't it?

I was in Urban Outfitters (don't ask!) the other day and they had a Puzzle Bobble themed arcade machine. LCD of course and my eyes immediately go 'matrix code' on it and I just see wood, screws and an LCD. My brain doesn't even begin to see it as an arcade machine.

Stick a CRT in there and suddenly it takes on a whole new life.

I suppose if you grew up in a day and age where nobody has a CRT at home and all 'old retro games' are blocky pixelated affairs on LCD TVs you really wouldn't know any different and people like us must sound insane 😄

I always wonder what it must be like for kids going into somewhere like Token and potentially seeing CRTs for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

@o1s1n

"I always wonder what it must be like for kids going into somewhere like Token and potentially seeing CRTs for the first time."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

By the time my son is old enough to go to Token, there won't be any CRTs left in Token's machines (or working controls).

I hope he likes video games because he's in for quite the adventure if he does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember playing Tempest 3k, on the Nuon, on a 42" plasma.

I swear, my eyeballs were sweating with the colour temperatures reached!

Master of the Universe

Do you still have a Nuon these days?

I've lost track of your sell/buy back/sell status on that one 😁

I'm pretty sure it was a regretful sale, and it's high up on his list if one ever comes up again....reminds me of myself these days 🙃

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I actually seen one of these in Ireland believe it or not. It was for sale in a liquidators type shop that used to be beside smyths toy store in tallaght. Couldn’t believe it when I seen it. It was 700 euros. No idea what happened to it but there you go.

I foolishly sold it to a former regular, Alphaeagle, for €200... with Tempest 3K and a controller.

The controller alone goes for that kind of money now.

The game is also stratospheric money.

The console is the cheapest bit I think.

Worse again, he offered to sell it back to me, at the same price I sold it to him, and I turned it down :(

I wonder if any madlad dev will take on a Nuon Mister core at some stage

Might be interesting, but the only game worth playing on it has been well superseded by both TkX, on PS Vita, and T4K on everything else!

Which reminds me, I must hook the PS Vita TV thingy up to the plasma and try TkX on it, could be awesome!

• Advertisement

Yes, yes it is!

And it really has been superseded by the game mentioned.

At the time, if you wanted to play a version other than the original Tempest you had Tempest 2000 and the clone efforts on the PS.

Tempest 3000 came out and was amazing, and nothing could touch it until TxK, but then Atari got their nose out of joint and it was years before the damage in that relationship was repaired and Minter produced Tempest 4k, which is brilliant.

TLDR: Yes, you are right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

They’d be doing well to see a working one in there

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

Get the 6 player cabinet and live inside it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just released a new T-shirt.

Finally have everything being made in Ireland now. So no more overseas or shipping bullsh1t.

Shirt and print quality are now probably the best I've ever done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

A project for someone. If you get cold you can always burn it.

Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Not sure if a bargain but certainly something different.

A Mitsubishi Apricot

http://www.adverts.ie/29563902

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I am pretty sure I have one of them that was bought in arnotts Dublin when they briefly had a computer section. I am surprised that anything from this era is worth anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I think that apricot was put up at 330 originally. Now down to 100!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Very nice 28" Bang & Olufsen MX 6000 with rotating stand, remote and instructions in Dublin:

Advertisement