Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,441 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh wow! bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Gorgeous TV and a bargain! Hope someone snagged it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's beautiful!

I'd have made an offer but you bet me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

I couldn't really justify getting it in the end, but it looks like it's going to a new home anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

If the TV was closer I'd prob go for it. I'm just toying with the idea of selling up at the moment and I've kinda stopped buying too.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Do remember that you don't need to sell up if you're not in a position to collect anymore.

I haven't bought on a large scale now in almost ten years - didn't sell my games though, happily just playing through them all.

Kind of seeing it as the second phase in my hobby. Phase 1 was collecting, phase 2 is just enjoying all the **** I've amassed 😁

I know what you're saying. I sold some super stuff over the years and always regretted it. What I have left just sits in the attic which is no good. I could also do with the money going towards a new hobby that I can enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

I picked this up tonight. Sorry wasn't trying to snipe you but wanted to be first in line if available as looking at it I assumed this must be a 'holy grail' Tv. Googling the MX range while waiting to pick it up though I got the impression this range is a bit of style over substance and I thought that made sense tbh. If the image matched the form factor I think Americans would have cottoned on to them surely and driven the prices right up but they regularly go for cheap it seems. They're just Philips tubes at the end of the day?

The Tv that was for sale itself has 2 issues;

1. The SCART on AV2 is bust. You can see it's moved out of place on the shell and connecting anything just results in a black screen and loud buzzing.
    2. It's not actually an MX6000! It's an ME6000. What the hell is an ME6000 you ask? An LE6000 in the MX range form factor. What the hell is an LE6000...

Yeah, I'm not sure you've missed anything that great. Early days and I'll try and play around with it some more but I don't think I'm the right use case for it anyway, I think you want to be plugging PAL systems into this (and maybe solely over s-video?). Besides the geometry adjustments that I'd need to do, there's just something about the picture. It's not exactly blurry or wavy, but then it kind of is. Don't know what it is about it, like it's going through some picture enhancements or something. It's bizarrely similar to an older LCD look imo. Not bad maybe, but not for me I think.

Jesus, the Trinitron I picked up has me spoiled! But there's something a bit 'European' about this TV lol, give me that Japanese quality anyday. And maybe if you're looking for NTSC 60 gaming you need to go Japanese as they can be the same tubes, rather than European Tvs adding it but thinking of video as the use case for it and so it doesn't actually deal that well with consoles?

Again, very early days though.

Master of the Universe

This would have a shadow mask, so will produce a different image to the aperture grill type you're probably used to seeing in your Trinitron (which gives you brighter colours and more prominent scanlines)

Most folks would probably have had shadow mask CRTs growing up, unless they had the cash to buy a Sony.

Sounds like there's something funky going on with the tube, you might be on to something with it being a bit enhanced to watch broadcast tv. Would love to see a photo of what you are seeing if you can get a snap at some point!

Both Beovision LE 6000 and ME 6000 were equipped with Black Line picture tubes, which made the picture sharper. A toned-contrast screen in front of the tube enhanced the contrast level, making the picture more pleasant to watch. And Bang & Olufsen's Colour Transient Improvement improved the sharpness of colour transitions, which eliminated irritating shadows.

Thanks for the detailed overview of it, never heard of this 'E' range before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Not retro gaming related really, but if anyone's looking for a monster emulation pc with a tiny footprint, I've listed it here (it'll need a case and cheap gpu to take full advantage) - https://www.adverts.ie/other-hardware/computer-parts/29657670

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update. I've owned a few 90s Philips TVs and they're all like that. They have very good contrast and colour, which is what the Black Line tubes are meant to be about, but there's a softness to the picture. I have other TVs with Panasonic and Thomson tubes and they're noticeably sharper, but have more sombre colour.

Yeah, I imagine it's a different rather than worse thing alright.While it was working! the Wii looked really good on it (maybe all 480i would) and I could see myself preferring some arcade games on it aswell. Not sure if this is sacrilege to say but I don't really associate scanlines too much with arcades. Maybe because I never spent too much time on them so the main memory I have is how big they were which this would go a long way to recreating. 8/16 bit consoles I'd much prefer with the sharper lines I think. Right, have to get this thing working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Feck, another €50 I shouldn't be spending, spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Works with these apparently - https://8bitmods.com/n64-blueretro-bt-controller-receiver-with-memory-pak-original-grey/

I’ve decided to preorder one.

Nice, I'll have to get one of those too!

I'm going to guess that I can configure PC based N64 emulators to use them as well, via Bluetooth.

32" Sony TV in Aughrim. As far as I can tell, this TV is not a 100Hz model, so should be good for a mixture of 4:3 and widescreen.

Nice 21" Philips flatscreen with stand in Spiddal - FREE.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/899386551401244/

An update on my collecting. Managed to shift a bundle last week, 100+ SNES games plus a few boxed consoles gone. Have already spent most of the money on Jap Dreamcast goodies. I'd gone as far as I could with the SNES stuff, wasn't willing to pay over €100 for single carts to complete the collection so instead I'm focusing on a complete Jap Dreamcast collection. I'm nowhere near but it's nice to be able to pick up bargains and spot things I don't own for cheap again.

This is going to be rubbish right?

This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for (1 in =>3 out) but it's probably just cobbled together using someone else's design so there'll be no guarantee (or likelihood) it will work remotely as intended?

I know for certain I am still going to buy this at some stage along with 4 MD2 SCART cables and spend a weekend getting nowhere with it 😔

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

If you're going to spend 60 euro on something unknown then I'd suggest saving up another 100 euro and getting a Hydra instead.

Been using one for a few months now myself and it's been great, the auto detect / switching is particularly good.

This is multiple in, 1 out or it does both?

I'm just looking to pass the MiSTer simultaneously to multiple generic consumer CRTs because I'm insane 😕

Master of the Universe

This does multiple in and two out, I have my one outputting to my flat panel (going through. Retrotink5x first) and the other then going to a PVM.

Ah I see you want four out! That's a more niche problem alright haha

Think of the possibilities! If the light gun connection still works when passing through something like this for example, and I get a lightgun, I could load up Duck Hunt and kill one duck on one screen, one on another, another on another...There's no limit to what could be done!

Master of the Universe

Have you ever owned a PVM actually? All of the BNC video connectors have a corresponding BNC video out connector so you can chain monitors together.

At one point I had a big 20 inch PVM, two small 9 inch PVMs and a Commodore 1084s all chained together this way.

Absolutely no reason for it other than looking cool. Was quite something seeing a Sonic demo screen running on them all at once.

Never occurred to me to try the same lightgun across multiple monitors! missed opportunity.

Ah, this makes sense. That’s really my motivation tbh - so many YouTube videos where in the background the same image is playing on multiple different size screens (always Sonic as well!) and it looks brilliant. Would be nice to compare different screens as well and see what’s their characteristics etc

Assumed they were doing it with one of these scart splitters and they’d be plentiful to purchase but maybe the PVMs were filling the role. Ahh.

No PVM yet, paying my dues with these free pickups - hopefully will qualify for a PVM licence in a few months though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I run signal across multiple PVMs a good bit

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjyyLDRIHYn/

that link might work for one a did a while ago

Ive seen a few multiple scart out devices on aliexpress, 6 in and 3 out kind of thing. I always wanted to try one out but they are really "cheap" and my curiosity wasnt enough to spend €80-90 on something that would probably end up being a bit ****

RetroRGB reviewed one of those - 10 in 3 out I think - and he seemed positive. The audio channels were flipped (no idea if you'd actually notice that in most games/systems?) but everything else was solid. Just a bit overkill for me in size and inputs and I really want that 4th out for 'future-proofing' 😊

I think he may have added some afterthoughts where something or other was an issue according to users though. Christ all this stuff really does seem to have something or other I'm finding, "just so you know the fukpiz doesn't combine well with the shidballz and now when using RGB on Tuesdays or Thursdays that fall on odd numbered days..." jfdskljf sdjflks j dslkgfjsd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hi guys, hope ye are all well! I haven't been on here in absolute ages, since the site changed I think. Put collecting on back burner last year or so.

I'll be potentially moving country in the next few months and have decided to sell off a considerable amount of stuff. Just put up quite a few SNES NTSC games on adverts, with more bits to come over the next while. Will give reasonable deals to people on here of course for any of my ads.

http://www.adverts.ie/30011822.

http://www.adverts.ie/30020923.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,084 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Not sure if right place to ask what would a sealed white Dual Shock One controller be worth have had a look at eBay and very few in this condition with prices upwards of £150 before postage.

Found it going through my boxes of stuff looking for my Amiibo and Switch stuff last night thought I'd gotten rid of it ages ago.

Advertisement