Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

This is how I played street fighter on megadrive bitd with 3 button pad.. didn’t want to waste money on a 6 button when I couldn’t get another game instead it’s amazing how you can adapt when you have to haha

Same, as a nipper I just mashed buttons anyway so cant imagine a six button would have made much difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone that wants to play SF2 seriously there's way better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Inviere

Same, as a nipper I just mashed buttons anyway so cant imagine a six button would have made much difference.

It makes a big difference to be fair. Having to press Start to switch between punch & kicks is only going to get you so far...having the six button control layout on a controller really ramps up your ability to play the game properly.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyone that wants to play SF2 seriously there's way better options.

Outside of on real hardware, I'd never play any other version of SF2 other than on MAME. Why drive the Fiat when you can take the Ferrari?

DaveyDave wrote: »

Hoping to replace it with a Mk7.5 GTI or Leon Cupra at some point next year :)

Do it.
    I've a 3 door mk5 gti the last 4 years.
    Have fit a pinball,a Naomi driver and a ssf2 Woody in it .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

It would be a tad wasteful IMHO to have the 6 button pad included with just two games out of 42 utilizing it. The Megadrive was all about the 3 button pad. I think it was a brave and correct decision on Sega's part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Bit of a spending spree now that I'm finished saving for a mortgage. NHL and Chinatown Wars are new to me, Jet Set and ESWAT never saw than a demo/rental. The rest are just some favourites.

I don't have plans to collect on PS2, just threw in NFSU and The Suffering for the hell of it. I'll probably stick to Silent Hill and Rockstar stuff for now.

3BE7iFb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I love MD Eswat. Think I read a while back a lot of the Revenge of Shinobi staff were on it. Level design makes it feel like more of a sequel than MD Shadow Dancer or Shinobi III to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

No pictures, but I picked up a bunch of boards recently including a bunch of Sega model 2 games. Not sure what they are yet, waiting on bits and pieces to setup a rig for them.

Hoping for virtual on amongst them, always loved that game. Mega popular in Japan. No idea how I'd play it without twin sticks, but one step at a time :)

Actually do have a picture after all

DSC-1938.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How do you do this?! :D

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    How do you do this?! :D

This video should explain a lot...

Master of the Universe

Any interesting PCBs in this lot or have you had a chance to test them yet?

Nothing tested yet, need a few bits and bob's. Sonic championship and virtual on going by eprom labels, but that's no guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

pHQWZ2th.jpg

Grabbed this in a Cash Convenience in Kilkenny.

Kind of annoyed over the gloss finish being practically wiped off, but I can't complain too much when I paid €50 for it, and the gamepad and cables. And, of course, the most important part - it works.

Been using my brother's PS3 for a few years now, 'bout time I repurchased one for myself.

pHQWZ2th.jpg

Grabbed this in a Cash Convenience in Kilkenny.

Kind of annoyed over the gloss finish being practically wiped off, but I can't complain too much when I paid €50 for it, and the gamepad and cables. And, of course, the most important part - it works.

Been using my brother's PS3 for a few years now, 'bout time I repurchased one for myself.

And online play is freeeeeeeeeee! Remember that?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

beejee wrote: »
    And online play is freeeeeeeeeee! Remember that?! :p

I do, but I would still get PS Plus anyway, so I didn't feel the jarring effect of it costing money to play online.

I was more of an Xbox 360 lad during that generation, so I'd be used to spending money on a sub lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thanks to Cosmic Smash I'm the proud owner of a well jailbroken Nintendo 3DS LL, and a decent collection of Japanese 3DS games to go along with it!
    Now I'm only missing a New 3DS XL, my Ninty collection will be complete, well, mostly...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Thanks to Cosmic Smash I'm the proud owner of a well jailbroken Nintendo 3DS LL, and a decent collection of Japanese 3DS games to go along with it!
    Now I'm only missing a New 3DS XL, my Ninty collection will be complete, well, mostly...
    I keep meaning to keep a look out for the 3ds with the changeable covers or the SNES ones, I've a copy of Corpse Party that's ntsc so can't play it
    I also know if I got it tomorrow it would still be in the backlog for an age so...

Master of the Universe

Completely forgotten I'd bought this! Hadn't tried it out yet at all.

IMG-20200226-230044190.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darrenwall/sega-arcade-pop-up-history/description

ESG8D9GWsAE6Lzc?format=jpg&name=900x900

I got this today, was waiting til it came to post this too (but thought it would come sooner), gift from a very kind fellow boardsie

EQINuEuXYAEYp1K?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Continuing with the theme of cheap pickups, a few more for the "I'm not collecting for the PS2/PSP" collection.

GTA3 is presumably lost in the post somewhere and unfortunately LCS was a Platinum version, I try to go with original versions.

DU6x9HP.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Max Payne is one UGLY game!
    I remember seeing the original PC version, at the time of it's launch, and it looked amazing!
    But, a couple of years later and on the PS2... rough as a badgers @rse!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Max Payne is one UGLY game!
    I remember seeing the original PC version, at the time of it's launch, and it looked amazing!
    But, a couple of years later and on the PS2... rough as a badgers @rse!

Still pretty fun to play though. Manhunt on the other hand looks woeful and game play wise is not fun to play. I downloaded it on PS4 having missed it on PS2 era and couldn't get past the first hour. Camera is very poor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS2 version of Max Payne was always bad and looked ugly.

As for Manhunt, it was never a good game and outside of Bully all those renderware games from Rockstar looked awful. It gets a lot of love now but I think it got a free pass at the time being a Rockstar game and being controversial because I played it at the time and thought it was garbage as did a lot of publications. The exclusive review was taken from a UK magazine because they were prepared to give it 3/10.

I certainly enjoyed GTA3/VC and Read Dead Revolver but there certainly was a "look" to them.
    That was also the middlewear behind the early, and magnificent, Burnout games.

I think Bully looked good. Renderware could look stunning but think as open worlds got bigger the uglier they had to be to run well.

The Warriors looked pretty good too, the face mapping looked pretty close to the movie for the era.

True, loved that game and keep forgetting about it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    True, loved that game and keep forgetting about it.

I don't know why it doesn't get more love, it was a solid brawler, looked good for the time and was based off a cult classic movie. Whats not to love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Got this converter for the AV Famicom, to play NTSC NES games on it.

IMAG1479.jpg

A little disappointed because unfortunately, the only game I have so far is Strider and the contacts on the PCB do not stay the full width most of the way towards the edge, unlike all the PAL games I've checked so far.
    Saw a post on reddit pointing out the narrow ends of the contacts:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/consolerepair/comments/bea8rr/nes_cart_not_loading_odd_looking_contacts/
    https://i.imgur.com/0ObvF8W.jpg

The converter has these 'shelves' in the sides of the top, which block being able to fully seat a NES game. It's not a problem for games with the full width contacts (Tried a bunch of PAL games) but seems to block the Strider board from fully connecting.

IMAG1480.jpg

If I use just the converter board, then the game plays.

IMAG1478.jpg

If somebody has some NTSC NES games and wouldn't mind, could you check a few of them and see if they have the narrowing contacts? Particularly Mega Man 6 if you have it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement