Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber Snow Alert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

TWO has gone black-out!

:(

http://img.snow-forecast.com/images2/uksnownext3to6days.jpg <<< Yup, Laois looks nice for the next 3-6days!

Danno wrote:
    TWO has gone black-out!

:(

As too has www.weathercheck.net :eek:

Danno wrote:
    As too has www.weathercheck.net :eek:

He's probably working on an even snowier picture for his front page.
    The usual snowy picture indicates mild conditions-so he needs something dire for this.

I believe they are working on TWO-service will resume there no doubt.

I hope we're not next... :eek:

Hope not!

Anyone got links to the latest fax charts? Going out as far as possible?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i dont think it will be cold enough for snow till around late sunday night/monday morning with temperatures still around 5 to 7C on Sunday, so im inclined to go with RTE's predictions of wet conditions in the east with maybe sleet, i think we could see 3C by monday and the showers then should fall as snow but remember about a month or more ago we had a band of rain in the east and it stayed rain even tho the temperatures were around 1 and 2C so im still a bit uneasy about wheather it will snow or not, however the charts are showing that the worst temperatures will be from tuesday onwards to friday with temperatures around 0C in the east with plenty of showers and about 4C in the west with plenty of sunshine. At the moment the BBC are only looking at the showers coming from the north sea and lashing the eastern half of the UK with unbroken sunshine over wales and Ireland, they seem to forget what the irish sea is capable of during easterlies which sometimes can be as good as the north sea for producing snow showers. However I cant see these showers travelling much further than 50km inland from the irish east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Danno wrote:
    http://img.snow-forecast.com/images2/uksnownext3to6days.jpg <<< Yup, Laois looks nice for the next 3-6days!

Those charts are notoriously inaccurate..take them with pound of salt!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Will be back up this evening working hard to get a few new
    special items and forecasts for the cold spell. Might be
    tomorrow morning before i get it up,hope not ;)

And it's looking :D:D:D

Back to work ;)

Earthman wrote:
    He's probably working on an even snowier picture for his front page.
    The usual snowy picture indicates mild conditions-so he needs something dire for this.

I believe they are working on TWO-service will resume there no doubt.

I hope we're not next... :eek:

Nah, while Matt does forecast blizzards at the drop of a hat ....many other site owners secretly want to do the same..the spell coming up is unusual for the time of year and especially given the last few post dot com winters..i think there is a few webmasters that want to express all that pent up snow lust :))

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

• Advertisement

ne ne ne.. aint nothing there CHUMP :D:D;)

Hope it is easy to follow Matt!

Keep it simple, and more reguarly updated.

Laughable forecast from John Eagleton..laughable!

Really people do not loose heart with that poor forecast.

I can guarantee that snow showers will start falling
    in the east from around Sunday morning ;)

The forecast was :eek: really really :eek:

Leading people into a false secruity :rolleyes:

If unsure... go for mild - as I said earlier.

MET E are notorious for not predicting snow until 24hrs to go...

Honestly looking at the charts again tonight no one in the east
    should worry about whether the precip falls as rain or sleet.

It WILL fall as snow, all the ingredients are there. 850hpa temperatures of
    -10c and around 520 dam air...lets just say the snow line will
    arrive in the east late Saturday :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

John 'The Eagle' Eagleton has it spot-on, I reckon. Cold rain, that's all we're getting :(

Bah, maybe on Howth Head or something, but over 30 or 40 miles inland should be cold enough for snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

met eireann already screwed up once this week already with fthe severe frost the night before last when it was supposed to be mild. Sky news has a few snow flurrie symbols over east ireland for monday and they claim the main cold comes in from monday evening/tuesday

Hmmm, Sky News LOL!

I shout "blizzard" when I see a 4c and rainfall over Ireland

just after looking at the charts on http://www2.wetter3.de/animation.html and they seem to have changed their tune since this morning and are now showing the cold snap ending by wednesday over ireland and scotland with mild weather returning from the atlantic... this morning they had the cold snap intensifing by wednesday/thursday.

• Advertisement

Well closer to the time realism was bound to set in regardless of some peoples wild predictions ..an 80's spell this never was ..( though i wish it was ;) )

G'nite all.

Se you all 2morrow¬!

This pessimism is crazy the charts are excellant..

GFS 18z obviously not so good but the cold spell still
    lasts until Friday next week and even it is is likely
    to be as mild outlier, there will be no cold rain folks,
    dont get worried :D;)

Snow will start falling from late Saturday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

in Dublin?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

This pessimism is crazy the charts are excellant..

GFS 18z obviously not so good but the cold spell still
    lasts until Friday next week and even it is is likely
    to be as mild outlier, there will be no cold rain folks,
    dont get worried :D;)

Snow will start falling from late Saturday ;)

from as early as late Saturday?

Well the northerly will be here saturday but apart from wintry showers in and along the north coast thats that.

I dont expect to see decent action untill mon/Tues however showers will be likely in Eastern areas on Sunday with snow from them confined mostly to higher ground(but not exclusively)
    Thats a guess because this is changing and evolving all the time, which is what you should expect as although there is general agreement on a broad pattern, the subtletys (if such a word exists ) are not certain 5 days out from an event.

Meterologists arent joking when they say stay tuned.
    The Irish TV forecasts for instance are being very non committal and rightly so as 1 degree of a temp difference is all it takes for disruption and snow or rain/sleet and no disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

take a look at the 00z there are some nice surprises in there. especially around wednesday. although the chances of going like that are slim but it would be nice.

forgot to add this

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1321.gif

It's charts like that , that make me wonder about GFS.
    How on earth could an Atlantic system appear out of nowhere like that and be cold as well.
    It would have to be mild, thus your classic cold vs mild battle happening with a lot of snow on the Eastern side of the system.

Not going to happen methinks.

In other news Eveyln Cusack mentioned sleet snow hail ,northeasterlies and siberia all in the one sentence on the radio this morning with the East and leinster most at risk from heavy snowfalls-though she did say the worst effected area would be England( What part of Leinster is England-I'll get out me map :D )
    The BBC breakfast forecaster Helen Willitts was ramping it up big style also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

were the conditions different in February 1978, just wondering as I have read somewhere that that chart could create a repeat of it were it to come to pass

more info on February 1978 blizzards

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/datkbarch.asp?id=77
    http://www.eclipse.co.uk/wradmore/bradninch/history/1978snow/1978snow.htm

• Advertisement

Hallo all :D

Well admittedly there has been a wee downgrading this morning
    but for us in the east it's still a stunner. Snow showers will
    start falling from very late on Saturday and through Sunday
    with a little trough affecting eastern areas during Sunday
    afternoon giving a few cm's in places. Monday will see snow
    showers again in the east with the possibility of a little