Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gandon Park Lucan

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sorry for stating the obvious- but thats a damn good reason for the significant number of secondhand sales happening in the area at the moment- people in the know are bailing..........

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ND19

myshirt wrote: »
    Correct.

There is also a requirement with the area (and wider Adamstown SDZ plan) that sites be provided for traveller accommodation. It's cheaper for the Council to do anyy out that side given the accessible prices these units and the land are being sold for.

Hey could you post the link for the councils plans for Adamstown please? I can't find it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jesky25

I have seen the plan and as far as I remember there is no Travellers accommodation for gandon Park.

Jesky25 wrote: »
    I have seen the plan and as far as I remember there is no Travellers accommodation for gandon Park.

Its just outside Gandon Park- I don't think its been moved.
    The plans- along with all the maps- are still to be viewed in the local library.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Sorry for stating the obvious- but thats a damn good reason for the significant number of secondhand sales happening in the area at the moment- people in the know are bailing..........

Unfortunately there's a good bit of antisocial behaviour around the playground and Londis in Adamstown. This has forced some folks to sell.
    The rest of Adamstown is very quiet.

I hope that the council won't be building traveller accommodation. The way the nearby halting sites look is just shocking (e. g. Foxdene / Foxborough or the one close to Clondalkin / Fonthill train station ). It's not outsiders who go into their estates and wreck everything.
    Why should the taxpayer support this kind of nonsense?
    There are thousands of hardworking people with low incomes who should be supported instead.

• Advertisement

Its just outside Gandon Park- I don't think its been moved.
    The plans- along with all the maps- are still to be viewed in the local library.

Have you anything to back this statement up about traveller accomadation going in right beside gandon park or is it just word of mouth?

ND19 wrote: »
    Have you anything to back this statement up about traveller accomadation going in right beside gandon park or is it just word of mouth?

The map is on view in the library (at Supervalu just up the road) (and also in SDCC's offices in Tallaght).

Go have a look.

https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/planning/strategic-development-zones/adamstown/adamstown-sdz-2014/
    https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/planning/strategic-development-zones/adamstown/adamstown-sdz-2014/section-3-0-development-and-amenity-areas.pdf
    https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/planning/strategic-development-zones/adamstown/adamstown-sdz-2014/section-4-0-phasing-and-implementation.pdf

Check section-3-0-development-and-amenity-areas.pdf page 52 (Airlie Stud) which is actually Gandon Park and there is no Travellers accomodation. I can see like there is one for Somerton, Tobermaclugg village(Shackleton Park)

Does anyone know in those plans how council depicts social housing?

Check section-3-0-development-and-amenity-areas.pdf page 52 (Airlie Stud) which is actually Gandon Park and there is no Travellers accomodation. I can see like there is one for Somerton, Tobermaclugg village(Shackleton Park)

Does anyone know in those plans how council depicts social housing?[/quote]

Thanks for posting the links, very helpful! I don't see any plans for traveller accom near gandon either.

I don't think by law the council can specify where exactly the S.H will be but there will definitely have to be 10% which is approx 23 houses/apartments/duplexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bbborris

According to the SDZ plans, the traveller accommodation is in Tubber Lane, Somerton, and Arderrig developments.

Lovely!��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Bbborris wrote: »
    According to the SDZ plans, the traveller accommodation is in Tubber Lane, Somerton, and Arderrig developments.

Lovely!��

The plan was varied in 2014, and following this there is various back and forth between Council and representative groups. Speak with one of the local councilors who can link you in. You're not going to get all the detail wrapped up in a nice little bow and all from the comfort of your arm chair. And as a heads up, I'm not trying to insinuate there's anything underhand here, all the councilors seem to be onside and supportive for how Adamstown is being developed. Sometimes at odds with the residents, agreed, but I wouldn't go as far to say the council or the councilors are reckless.

Also, I do agree that you have to filter out the noise, the bullsh'tters, scaremongers, and all the pub talk. 100%. But do your due diligence, and not just from the comfort of your arm chair via a quick Google. You are spending a lot of money here and no doubt you broke your bollix to get the deposit. Make sure you are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Anne86

Hi all!
    I have also put a deposit down in gandon park.Im a little worried re where the house is as its very close to the apartments.A facebook page would be great😊

Finally after considering all the points, I have decided to cancel the booking.

Ah that's a pity you have cancelled booking.I spoke to lots of people.I think It's a gamble no matter where you live and we are willing to take the gamble.Hopefully gandon will be lovely🤗

Anne86 wrote: »
    Ah that's a pity you have cancelled booking.I spoke to lots of people.I think It's a gamble no matter where you live and we are willing to take the gamble.Hopefully gandon will be lovely🤗

Ordinarily its a bit of a gamble- however, you can take some of the randomness out of the gamble by doing appropriate due diligence. In this instance- the developer is getting away with stacking social housing units into the development and immediate vicinity- which should more appropriately have been built elsewhere- but the local authority are allowing them be constructed here instead- so as to minimise the effect on other, more premium, locations. In addition- you have the whole Clonburris SDZ and its effect on the area- alongside further development making use of the SDZ to avail of lack of planning oversight.

Lots of people who grew up in Lucan and its general environs- are getting out. Lots of people see it as a version of Tallaght from the early 80s- perhaps it won't come to that level of deprivation and lawlessness- however, the fact of the matter is- there is a danger, a distinct danger, that we simply have a more uptodate version of Tallaght- where developers are making use the existence of an SDZ to use the area as a dumping ground for social housing that they'd rather not devalue other developments they're involved in, with.

I'm one of the people who grew up in Lucan- and still live here- and would be out of here like a shot if I could make it work financially........ The place has been destroyed- and its only going to get worse.

As per my opinion, buying a house is a long term commitment and i believe one should do all the due diligence which i did and i believe after 5 years that area is going to be very over crowded and schools are already over subscribed and what will happen after 5 years.
    And Clonburris is also going to have 8000 homes.

In 1 km of Gandon Park, you can get 3 bed new houses ranging from 300K to 370K which is very big gap and due to any circumstances you have to sell your house then this gap is not gonna fill.

Anyways, i really appreciate you all to help me take this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Jesky25 wrote: »
    Finally after considering all the points, I have decided to cancel the booking.

I’m sure something will work out for you. I also cancelled a deposit in Shackleton a few months ago for various reasons. I had to do it as I wasn’t 100% happy to purchase there in the end quite simply. It’s a huge some of money and a massive investment to buy anywhere. You need to be 100% sure it’s right for you so it’s the correct decision if you were having serious doubts. The best of luck with your search.

Ah that's a pity you have cancelled booking.I spoke to lots of people.I think It's a gamble no matter where you live and we are willing to take the gamble.Hopefully gandon will be lovely🀗

Hi Anne,
    My house in Gandon is also very close to the apartments but I don't mind. The estate has 230 units in comparison to shackelton with close to 1000. I got such a good vibe from the estate and the way it all worked out I knew it was meant to be.
    A Facebook page would be much easier to communicate. I haven't really spoke to anyone else who has bought in Gandon

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

There will be more social housing in Newpark / St. Helen's. Apparently Tuath housing will be looking after the units which is great as they are usually vetting their tenants properly.

This concerns me more tbh:

https://www.echo.ie/lucan/article/traveller-accommodation-discussions-have-begun

MSVforever wrote: »
    There will be more social housing in Newpark / St. Helen's. Apparently Tuath housing will be looking after the units which is great as they are usually vetting their tenants properly.

This concerns me more tbh:

https://www.echo.ie/lucan/article/traveller-accommodation-discussions-have-begun

All you can really do is lobby your local representatives.
    There is already massive overdevelopment in the area- and antisocial behaviour- it makes no sense whatsoever to add this into the mix.
    The nature of the SDZ means that a lot of legitimate and genuine concerns- are not being heard (and in addition- the manner in which SDCC is geographically constructed- means a lot of councillors who are not from the area and not immediately affected by their decisions- are getting to play god with Tallaght Mark 2).

The lack of any cohesive and joined up thinking- is staggering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 DijaSB

I have sale agreed on a new house in Gandon too. Just wondering did any one got contracts from Cairn solicitor or contacted for snagging yet?

Hey, I haven't heard a single thing about contracts or snagging yet, Judy mentioned last week there was a delay with the solicitors.

Facebook group: Gandon Park Lucan Phase 1

Facebook group: Gandon Park Lucan Phase 1

Not found?

It's defo there with spaces.

It's defo there with spaces.

I still can't find it.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I still can't find it.

Surely the administrator of this Facebook group should only allow residents who have bought in Gandon to access to this group. Usually that’s how these Facebook new development groups work. Just a lot of negativity on this thread and it wouldn’t be fair to anyone who has bought in this development to have to read more negative stuff on another group from people who haven’t also bought a house in the development.

I still can't find it.

Boards won't let me post links 🙈

ND19
    I can't find the facebook page.Its def not there.I have been three times with my husband now to Gandon and we are happy with it🤗Perfect size and good feeling🤗

• Advertisement

ND19
    I can't find the facebook page.Its def not there.I have been three times with my husband now to Gandon and we are happy with it🀗Perfect size and good feeling🀗
    .Oh and I havnt heard re snagging etc either.We are hoping to be in by mid August!!

Advertisement